Start by marking “With His Lady's Assistance” as Want to Read:
With His Lady's Assistance

With His Lady's Assistance (The Regent Mysteries #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The prince regent recruits Wellington's best spy, Captain Jack Dryden, to find out who's trying to murder him. But in order to mix in the highest echelons of English society, the exceedingly handsome spy must feign an engagement to the prodigiously plain spinster Lady Daphne Chalmers. As this unlikely couple's investigation deepens, so does their attraction to one another.
Published April 1st 2012 by Createspace (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about With His Lady's Assistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With His Lady's Assistance

Christopher
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on The Historical Romance Critic.

This was a fun twist on the "spinster" storyline. Although the heroine is initially considered dowdy and in her twenties, she is not a retiring wallflower. Instead, her amicable nature and intelligence means that nearly everyone considers her a friend and she rares lacks for a dance partner. Unfortunately for the heroine, however, everyone thinks of her as "just a friend" - nobody seems to have a romantic interest in her. Until t
Regan Walker
A Fun Regency Romp!

Set in 1813, this tells the story of Captain Jack Dryden of the 14th Light Dragoons, who is drafted by the Prince Regent to find the person trying to kill him. Jack, it seems, has some experience as a spy.

To enable Jack mingle among the aristocrats so he can identify the Prince’s enemies, the Prince solicits the aid of Lady Daphne Chalmers, the oldest of Lord Sidworth’s daughters. Daphne is well connected and intelligent, but no beauty. Jack finds her very clever.

Together th
Allison
This was an ok historical romance with a mystery surrounding assassination attempts on the Prince Regent, a dashing captain disguised as a nobleman, and a bluestocking wallflower as his partner. As I said, it was ok - worth the 99 cents, I suppose.

The romance was predictable, and the mystery just went around in circles for most of the book, with a lot depending on feminine intuition and coincidence. When they finally figured it out, the solution came out of the blue. I prefer mysteries that giv
Kat
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, regency
I knew that, starting this book, I needed a few free hours so I had the chance to finish it in one sitting. It didn't quite work out like that but every free minute, let me tell you!
I wanted to get into lady spies novels for some time now - actually, I was fine with regency spy novels, this one being a lady was just a bonus.
So, I had certain expectations. Some were met. Some were disappointed.
I loved the trust Jack placed in Daphne, definitely. In some ways unexpected. I really had expected him
Sharyn
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read, a free bookbub read on my phone. Liked the historical bits , the very intelligent heroine, and the adorably straight laced hero. Will look for the other books in the series. Keeping track of the adultorous relationships was quite fun,especially after reading some of the biographies of the time, like "Duchess of Devonshire". Very fascinating, yet quite sad in a way. Anyway, Regency, mystery, love story very neatly wrapped up with quite a bit of humor. Lady Dafne presents her "f ...more
Dancer
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To help him mingle in the highest echelons of English society to investigate threats on the Prince Regent's life, super spy Captain Jack Dryden must feign an engagement to the exceedingly plain spinster, Lady Daphne Chalmers. Together they embark on an investigation which brings them into grave peril – and makes the captain reevaluate the skinny maiden who has a most amorous effect upon him.

The plot line has some basis in history, but is VERY LOOSELY incorporated, especially the parts that deal
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This was on my wish list and on my last Amazon order I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did as it is very entertaining. There is great dialog, a good mystery and some romance. It is listed as a Humorous Regency Romance Mystery and it is. This is the first of a new series and I am waiting for A Most Discreet Inquiry, book 2 due out in August.
Taylor
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite other slightly blasé reviews, I genuinely liked this novel from start to finish. I found the characters endearing, and the mystery intriguing enough. I will most certainly be looking forward to reading the following books in this series. :)
Teresa Williams
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I loved how Lady Daphne and Captain Jack Dryden both had moral values above the norm of the day, and fell in love with each other's intelligence, honor, and moral fiber over their looks. And then she became beautiful to him, and he "worthy" of her.
Hafiza
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Regency Romance than a true mystery.
Both hero and heroine were cute.
She is a plain, spectacle wearing spinster.
He is a dashing spy.
No graphic details- clean romance.
Elaine
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written story. I admit I was gripped by the plot, as I love anything to do with Prinny. Lovely characters and a very nice balanced book. Very enjoyable read.
Patricia Schuette
The first of the Regency Mysteries series

The Prince Regent calls forth the best spy in the realm because he has escaped murder twice and wants the mastermind found. He pairs his spy with a daughter of an Earl. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Nancy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! It made me laugh all the way through. Cleverly written.
Lindsay
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There is an assassin on the loose and after several attempts on his life, the Prince Regent enlists the help of the best spy in his majesty's army, Captain Jack Dryden. In order for Captain Dryden to infiltrate the necessary societal circles, he is paired up with a fake fiancee, Lady Daphne Chalmers, an unattractive spinster, who is well liked and respected by the ton. In a society where it is well accepted that adultery is more the rule than the exception, their list of suspects grows
Miguelina Perez
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Bolen’s “With his Lady’s Assistance” is a beautiful love story mixed with humor, murder, fact and fiction. Bolen uses a threat against the Prince Regent as her plot to thrust her hero and heroine together into an investigation that will take them from finding a killer to finding love. There is a brilliant element to the story as Bolen consistently mocks the social manners and peerage of the era—evident through the eyes of her hero.

Captain Jack Dryden is a spy for the British monarchy and the
Ellen Klock
The Prince Regent is holed up at Carleton House after several unsuccessful attempts on his life. He needs to discover who is behind the dastardly plot of eliminating the heir to the throne of England, especially since his father, King George, is not in good health. The Prince turns to the trusted Lord Wellesley for a recommendation and thus begins his association with the best British spy available, Captan Jack Dryden. Jack, while humbly accepting the honor, points out that he doesn't have the b ...more
Susan
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain Jack Dryden is recalled from Portugal, as he is according to Wellesley, the best spy that he has, and the Prince Regent is in desperate need of his expertise. After attempts on his life he has decided to take action. To aid Dryden's introduction into the Ton he must fake an engagement to Lady Daphne Chalmers, the one lady the Regent trusts.
An enjoyable rump with some likeable characters. With a style of writing that made it very easy to read.
Lori McD
3.5+ stars

This story is a bit unusual... it's a Regency romance + mystery, and one of the main characters is an aristocratic spinster!

Lady Daphne is the eldest daughter of an earl. She's amiable enough, but she doesn't care much for fashion or hair, and she thinks like a man; consequently, she's considered "one of the guys" in ton circles. Except the Prince Regent (Prinny) knows that Lady Daphne is discreet. She's kept a few secrets of his.

Captain Jack Dryden is a spy for His Majesty's Army - an
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun regency romance with a mystery to solve. Loved having the hero fall in love with a plain intelligent girl.
Julie
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I belong to a "Clean Romance" group on Goodreads for those of us who like romance without explicit intimacy. This book was recommended on the site as a clean romance. Since it was regency I decided to buy it. It starts out with a British spy, Captain Jack Dryden, being called back from the Peninsula to help find the assassin who was targeting the Prince Regent. Of course, the spy couldn't function among the ton without someone to smooth the way, so the Prince Regent suggests a woman who has all ...more
Charlene
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author. I enjoyed this mystery romance very much.

The story is about the ugly duckling elder sister(Lady Daphne)who feels that her role in the family is to be a spinster. Everyone likes and admires her. The gentleman are comfortable in her company, but no one wants to marry her. She's very comfortable with this life. Anyway the story opens with Capt. Jack Dryden going to meet the Regent Prince. It seems that someone is trying to kill Prinny and he wants t
Wendy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
This is the first novel by Cheryl Bolen that I've read. The plot had many weak points as a mystery, a few of the circumstances of the investigation were somewhat far-fetched, but I found that the interaction between the hero and heroine more than made up for that. I found myself completely charmed by Daphne Chalmers and Captain Jack Dryden as their romance progressed. The details of the time period as to customs and settings were well done. I could tell that this author had done her research. In ...more
Silver James
With His Lady's Assistance While a bit rough in places, with sometimes pedantic language, Cheryl Bolen's story was still an enjoyable read. Captain Jack Dryden is an engaging hero and Lady Daphne Chalmers makes an excellent foil for the intrepid spy. The best parts of the book were their repartee. The story was well-researched and was a nice blending of fact and fiction.
Dennis Hinton
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C=Captain, D=Daphne, E=Exciting

OK. It's my bad, because I took a course at MIT on Egyptology, I started this mystery series out of order. But each can truly be read in any sequence to make it a good mystery.
But, deciding to start with the first in the series will now make every other so much more fun.
Please, please, please, Cheryl - continue the Regent Mystery Series, please!?!
J
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed the story, had turns at end not expecting, did not figure out the criminal
Brigid
This book was quite charming. Not the most interesting mystery but I liked the hero and the heroine.
Julia
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a regency romance with a lot of mystery and adventure. I really enjoyed the characters and the writing. I love this author's books!
Annemarie and Dennis Hinton
Romance, Intrigue, and Laughter are a wonderful combination.
I practically inhaled this one!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Loyal Companion
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #1-3)
  • Cut from the Same Cloth (My Notorious Aunt, #3)
  • The Mésalliance
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Rules for a Lady
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • Code of Honor (Intrepid Heroines, #1)
  • Untying the Knot
  • The Girl He Knows (No Strings Attached, #1)
  • A Gentleman and a Scoundrel (Regency Gentlemen, #1)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Trevor's Song
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Breaking All the Rules
  • Find My Way Home (Homefront, #3)

Since being named Notable New Author for 1997, Cheryl Bolen has published more than 35 books with Kensington/Zebra, Harlequin, Love Inspired Historical, Montlake, and independently. She has broken into the top 5 on the New York Times and hit the USA Today bestseller list. Her 2005 One Golden Ring won Best Historical, Holt Medallion, and her 2011 My Lord Wicked was awarded Best Historical in the In
More about Cheryl Bolen...

The Regent Mysteries (4 books)
  • A Most Discreet Inquiry (The Regent Mysteries, #2)
  • The Theft Before Christmas (The Regent Mysteries, #3)
  • An Egyptian Affair (The Regent Mysteries, #4)