Start by marking “The Hostage Bride (Bride #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage Bride (Bride #1)

The Hostage Bride

(Bride Trilogy #1)

Dear Reader,

Here is the first of my new "Brides" trilogy, in which three unconventional young women vow they will never marry--only to be overtaken by destiny. Bride #1 is the outspoken Portia....

Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published June 1st 1998 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage Bride

Pamela Shropshire
Portia is an unusual heroine in historical romances. She isn’t beautiful or even pretty and her figure isn’t voluptuous. She has actual orange hair - carroty, not auburn or strawberry blonde or so then desirable shades of red, but actual orange. Her skin is pasty white and freckled. She is tall and slim, to the point of boniness. She is also the bastard daughter of the half-brother of the Marquis of Granville, with no dowry to tempt suitors.

Rufus Decatur is the dispossessed Earl of Rothbury. He
Kit★
As soon as I saw this book sitting on the shelf at the Salvation Army, I had to grab it up. I read The Accidental Bride, the second in the series, a while back, and really enjoyed it, so I was keeping an eye out for the other two. In fact, I was so excited to find it that, despite having many other books in my TBR pile that have been there for months, and in some cases years, I had to read this one right away. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the heroine, Portia, that well at first. Scrawny ...more
Juliana Philippa

Terrific 17th century romance with a highly unusual heroine and an easy-to-fall-for hero

My Review. The Hostage Bride is the first in Jane Feather's Brides Trilogy, but I actually read it after having already read The Accidental Bride (Book 2) and The Least Likely Bride (Book 3). I normally read Regency and Victorian era romances, but I really loved this book and although Feather writes in much more of a historical background than one often gets from regency romances, it is by no means over
Liv
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I feel like listening to an intricate story with rich, well developed characters, I know that Feather will not disappoint. Yes, Feather is an accomplished author, but more than that, she is an excellent story teller. After listening to this first book in her Bride trilogy, narrated by Jenny Sterlin, I am fully invested in the series. The narration was authentic and very well done. Sterlin's performance brought these fantastic characters to life. Now about those characters....

Feather weaves
Elle
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is book one in the Bride trilogy, the story of three unlikely friends who bond at a young age while hiding from a wedding. Their names are Olivia, Phoebe and Portia.

First up is Portia, the bastard daughter of Olivia's wastrel uncle. She's grown up in taverns and pretty much all sorts of unsavory places. Her father finally succumbs to the ravages of his lifestyle, and she is taken in by her uncle Cato Granville, Olivia's father. The good part is she gets to hang with Olivia, who is reduced t
kris
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Hostage Bride felt like a huge, sprawling book, set as it was amongst the trappings of the English Civil War. Portia Worth is the unwanted daughter of the half-brother of the Marqius of Granville. His arch-nemesis is Rufus Decatur who's supposed to be an Earl but isn't because his father and Granville's father had a spat and Decatur was accused of treason.

It's all very complex and prime for The Vengeance Arc (which is not my cup of tea on a good day) and there's a bff-pact and outlaws and l
T.J.
Oct 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cheese
title was misleading, description was misleading, did not sound at all 17th century

and ya know what else? i get that young girls married older men, maybe more often than happens nowadays, but the lady who wrote the damn thing wasn't forced to put such an age gap in their relationship, was she? i mean portia is 17 and homeboy is like 34. most people would not be cool with that set up, if they were like reading about their favorite celebrities. nobody liked that thing with kylie jenner and tyga, o
KyBunnies
This review is my personal opinion, this is not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and invest in your own copy to read.

This is the first in a 3 book series. The series is Bride Trilogy by Ms. Feather. This book is set in the mid-17th century.

This book start out with a wedding and 3 misfit young females. The 3 females form a bond of sorts. They each make a small cut on the palm of there hand to mix there blood and cut 3 locks of there hair to braid in to a circle.
azerjaban
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an okay book. Too much confusing politics and pointless war. I did like the heroine until the end that is. She was scrappy and determined to fight (the only reason I picked up this book was to read a HR with a heroine that could fight). The hero was a bit harder to like. All the trappings of a historical hero, big and strong and commanding and respected (seriously nobody questioned him, I thought for a moment I was reading a shifter book). But his convictions to hate the son of the man wh ...more
Sandra
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
It's bad enough that seventeen-year-old Portia Worth is taken in by her uncle, the marquis of Granville, after her father dies. As the bastard niece, Portia knows she can expect little beyond a roof over her head and a place at the table. But it truly adds insult to injury when the Granvilles' archenemy, the outlaw Rufus Decatur, hatches a scheme to abduct the marquis's daughter--only to kidnap Portia by accident. Portia, who possesses more than a streak of independence as well as a talent for r ...more
Minh
Jul 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
So many recommendations for this series, yet I really disliked it. Mainly it was because I didn't really feel for the heroine and thought that a lot of her decisions were pretty stupid. Basically involved the heroine (unwanted bastard child of the family) being kidnapped in the place of her cousin. As an unwanted hostage she becomes part of the Rebel army and falls in love with the family who she's sworn to hate.

I was interested in one of the 3 heroines who has a stutter and an evil stepmother s
Savannah
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Portia, a willful and wild young girl raised under the wide gaze of an alcoholic father, is suddenly thrust into the middle of a conflict between Court and Parliament, during the English Civil War. After her father dies, she is entrusted to the care of Cato, marquis of Granville, and sworn enemy of ex-Rothbury estate inheritor and local outlaw, Rufus Decatur. After a case of mistaken identity finds Portia captured not once, but twice, she finds herself spending a lot less time trying to escape, ...more
Scarlett Pablo
La historia me ha encantado, y ha sido una grata sorpresa. Enganchada a la lectura que me ha tenido casi de principio a fin. Sin embargo, el final ha sido como una bofetada, precipitado y sin sentido, que no casa con el resto del libro: un happy end de lo más forzado. Por otro lado, tiene unos errores de foco enormes, y este salta de un personaje a otro con arbitrariedad total. Es algo que desde luego pienso que se debería haber corregido. Estos dos fallos son los que le han robado dos estrellas ...more
Tabor
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Hostage Bride follows Portia, the bastard niece of the Marquis of Granville, after her father dies and she is forced to live with her uncle. On the way to his house, she is abducted by the roguish Rufus Decatur, who has sworn revenge on the Granville house for murdering his father in cold blood. Unfortunately, the plot line is boring, Portia is forgettable, the romance wasn't even steamy and then there was a weird age gap between Portia and Rufus.
Lynne Tull
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I do not normally read in this era-the 1600's. This story takes place during the war between King Charles and Parliament (Oliver Cromwell). I really do not find the era interesting, but at least these characters are engaging. Skip through all of the blood and gore and I like the story. I like the way Jane Feather tells it. There are three books in this series and I plan to read the other two. Recommend.
Emily Erdmann
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I sped right through this book, and not in a good way. I read all 350 pages, but I dont seem to remember anything overly substantial or meaning full. I'm not saying its a bad book, I'm just saying I cant figure out how all of those pages were filled. More than likely read it again, but not for a great while.
David Richey
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A soldier bride

A woman who is between warring families. A friend on one side a lover on the other caught in the middle.
Kbee
Audible Romance Package

AUDIOBOOK: Read June 4= DID NOT FINISH- Not For Me
14hrs 50min

Gave up after 3hrs...Don't know if it was the story itself or the narrator but I found it boring.
EB
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title of this book is a bit of a misnomer. I read the summary and was genuinely expecting a kidnapping-and-forced-marriage trope. This was not that.

This book is, in my opinion, more in league with Philippa Gregory novels than with Harlequins. There’s a great amount of plot and the love story is almost secondary to the plot. Almost. The prologue of the books sets up the three heroines of this trilogy (Portia, Phoebe, and Olivia) as young girls who are outcasts, and determined to never marry.
Ann has a dirty mouth
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
For some reason, there are loads of reviews for this book that mention finding it in a thrift story, and oddly enough, this is exactly how I encountered it.

The good- this is a historical with a unique setting- the English civil war. Those of you, like me, who were indifferent students may want to brush up on your history because this book incorporated actual historical events more than many novels. Or maybe it is all bullshit, I didn't fact check it on wikipedia or anything.

The Plot- Sassy bast
Bunga
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval
Saya kasih 4 deh soalnya bisa bikin saya mewek beberapa kali. Hehehe...
Berawal dari salah nyulik, malah akhirnya jatuh cinta.
Portia, heroine di buku ini, gahar banget dan gigih. Sampai bisa bikin Rufus bener-bener menyerahkan hatinya. Dan yang bikin menye di sini adalah karena Portia adalah keponakan dari musuh bebuyutan si Rufus, jadinya Portia sering konflik batin. Apalagi saat Rufus sedang menyerang kastil pamannya Portia--Portia sampai nekat renang menyeberangi selokan/moat yang mengeliling
Rachel Brand
I only have 100 pages left of this but I really can't be bothered finishing it. It was interesting to begin with, but I'm really not convinced by the heroine and hero's love story - mainly because we never get inside their heads! - and I'm getting to the stage where I care more about Olivia and her parents than I do Portia and Rufus. There was also far too much war detail for me - I feel like I should go and read up on the time periods in order to understand the plot! Seriously, this book had po ...more
Amy
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Meh. While the book was very well written, I think I do not enjoy the time period that it is set in. It is a period in English history that I know very little about. Maybe wikipedia can help me with that before I start on the next one in the series...

One thing I really hate about romances in general, however, is when the hero loses all of his trust in the heroine near the end/climax of the book. I am not sure why, but when it happens, it always annoys me. (it is just as annoying when it is vice
MaryD
The start of the British Civil War was a time of betrayal, anger & death. Three young girls enter a pact to remain friends no matter what and find their loyalties tested when families find themselves on opposite sides of the war.

Over all, this was much more intense than I thought it would be. Portia is mistakenly kidnapped by her uncle's enemy and of course develops a relationship with him. Some how this didn't make a whole lot of sense for me, though it was integral to the plot.
Jill Twigg
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
First in the bride series-Hostage Bride portrays a seventeen year old Portia. One of three girls that made a pact to each other three years before using a piece of each of their hair and braided it. They were to send the braided piece to another for help.
Rufus Decataur, an outlaw bandit with his own regiment and a follower of the king, has an enemy's daughter kidnapped but realized he had taken the wrong one. . .
Koki
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Príbeh začína prológom, v ktorom sa zoznamujeme s tromi dievčatami Portiou, Oliviou a Phoebe. Stanú sa z nich kamarátky, ktoré sa rozhodnú pomáhať si v dobrom i zlom. Po úvode už sledujeme príbeh prvej z nich - Portie. Celú recenziu nájdete tu: http://kokinakniznica.blogspot.sk/201...
Leea
3.5 stars... I loved this book but have to say that the start was a little slow. This was my first Jane Feather book and I have to say that i'm very excited to find out what happens to Olivia and Phoebe. These girls, Olivia, Phoebe and Portia make a blood pack to not get married and live out their dreams. So far Portia does become a soldier...
Mimi
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book before (this is why I decided to start using Goodreads), and I still like this book. It has a bit too much war and tactic for me in there, but it's not pages and pages of war stuff that some books have so it doesn't get bogged down by the details.

This is a nice, quick read.
penelopewanders
Hadn't read a book set in this time in a long time - Cromwell and the Roundheads... of course that was only one aspect of the story.Likewise it had been a while for a Jane Feather. On the whole I enjoyed it, although much of it seemed wildly implausible. Fun anyway.
Fil
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
need to put this on the burner too.. can't get into it??
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 09:51AM
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Blaze Wyndham (Wyndham Saga, #1)
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Sinful: Epilogue (Addicted, #2.1)
  • The Seducer (Seducers #1)
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • In My Wildest Dreams (Governess Brides, #5)
  • Some Like It Wicked (Hellion's Den, #1)
  • Undone
  • The Duke (Regency, #4)
  • An Independent Woman (Women and Men, #1)
  • The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue, #2)
  • Untouched
  • Winterbourne (de Macy, #1)
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • And the Bride Wore Plaid (Talisman Ring, #4)
Jane Robotham was born on 1945 in Cairo, Egypt, where her British parents were stationated. She grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She earned a Master’s Degree in Applied Social Studies from Oxford University. In 1978, she, her husband and their three children moved to New Jersey. There, she worked as a social worker. She began writing in 1981 after another move, this time to Washingt ...more

Bride Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)
  • The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3)