Start by marking “Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)” as Want to Read:
Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)

Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A Latin student delves into the story of Rusticus, a centurion saved from massacre by Caedmon, a Celt who has witnessed Christians being martyred in Rome.
Published January 23rd 2006 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hostage Lands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hostage Lands

Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had big expectations for Hostage Lands because it's by one of my favorite authors. I wasn't disappointed!

This is a historical fiction book based during the time of the Roman Empire. It helped me learn a lot about this time period, but it didn't just state dry facts. The story was fast-paced and full of action. I never knew what to expect next. The characters were unique and so fun to explore. I wanted to know more, to keep reading. It was hard to take a break sometimes. =)

This book also had a
"May the Muses attend me", is what the story of a young Roman soldier begins with, that a Latin student uncovers after wrecking his ATV. But after treachery, danger, and an Christian Celt, his story ends with him telling a story.. of a Great King.
I did feel that the portrayal of the Latin teacher in the beginning of the book was.. overdone, to try to be humerus. But it was a good Christian book, and I'm glad I read it! :)
Jonathan Clark
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this as a family!
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Bond books. A fairly well-written story set in Roman Britton (a definite plus), and there's very little "let's make the ancient Christians act and think like modern Protestants" going on. While I had a few theological problems with it they were very tiny and did not detract from the story in the slightest.
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fifteen-year-old Neil Perkins lived a reasonably good life. He lived on Hostage Heath, a farm near Hadrian’s Wall in northern England, and his parents let him go where he please on his four-wheeler, as long as he accomplished his chores. Yes, he had a good life, except for his Latin classes with the ridiculous Miss Klitsa. Perhaps she would have been better off teaching a drama class.

After wrecking his four-wheeler near the Wall, Neil finds a spearhead and packet of tablets in the hole he made i
Laura Verret
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a book! Neil Perkins, a fifteen year old student at an English Grammar School, dislikes Latin and his Latin teacher until the day he wrecks his four-wheeler and finds a package hidden in the turf. The package is a tale of ancient Celts and Romans and it is written in Latin. Neil appeals to his teacher, Miss Klitsa for help translating it, but she insists that he be the one to translate it. (After all, he found it, and what a great school project!) And here, the story begins. The tale i ...more
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I don't care for the way Bond framed two of his other books, his use of that literary device in this book is spot on. Neil and his Latin teacher drew me in at once with their contentious relationship, and I loved the tying together of Hadrian's wall today and two thousand years ago. The past and the present are woven together, the truth of the one reflecting on the truth of the other.

I appreciate Rusticus as the stoic Roman soldier, willing to challenge everything he's known. Then there's
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, unique book on the little known warfare along Hadrian's wall. The main character has to be one of the best in this class of books that I have come across in quite some time. He is a unique, realistic, humorous, flawed, character that the author was not afraid to state actually shook in his boots at points when I would bet most of us would either be petrified with terror or else running the other direction.
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story of a young Roman soldier who is sent to find out about the Celtic rebels. He is befriended by a young Celtic man.A girl is held hostage by the Romans, and the men risk their life to save her. Because of their courage and loyalty, the two nations finally are able to be at peace with each other.This book was written for younger(12+) reading levels, but it isn't a simple childish story. It was an excellent story, it is well worth reading no matter your age.
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A story within a story. We begin with Neal and his rather abnormal Latin teacher, but move on to the Latin tale that Neal has to translate--narrated by the centurion Rusticus aobut himself, his Celt friend Calum, and their various friends, relations, and enemies in Roman Britain in the second century AD.

I enjoyed this more than Bond's Crown and Covenant series. The plot was more solid and the storyline/writing very well done.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book that held my interest with a narrator I cared about and a tale of ambition, intrigue and courage that brings to life the Roman outpost at Hadrian's wall and conflict with the Celts amidst the fading glory of Rome and the rising influence of Christianity. In the beginning I wasn't sure I liked the way it was framed by a modern day student finding old Roman tablets, but it worked well and I believe was inspired by the wooden Roman tablets found at Vindolanda.
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans
Recommended to Jerry by: My friend Donna
A Quickie Review

A Christian-themed book that brings history alive, Hostage Lands was so good that I devoured it in one sitting. If you like historical fiction, you should definitely check this one out as soon as possible. The action, the intensity, the reality of it all...amazing, seriously.

Content Concerns: As the book deals with a historical war, there is some violence.

Score: 4.5/5
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was very well written and it had a captivating plot. At first I was disappointed that the book wasn't actually about Neil Perkins. (Well, not really). And it didn't end like I thought it should. But over all I am completely satisfied. Quick read.
Sarah Bierle
An excellent historical fiction about the Roman and Celtic conflict in Great Britain. A great read-aloud for families. The story starts in modern times and flashes back to the ancient era; skillfully written and one of the few "back in time" stories I've read and actually enjoyed!
Brian Sullivan
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fast fun read. But I could not accept that a geeky Latin loving teacher would allow a student to keep a library of writing tablets he discovers to translate at home. surely it would be the responsible thing to hand them over to archeologists or atleast a University?
Becky Dan
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ancient Rome mixed with Celtic Ireland! What could be better! I felt like I was watching a movie...I think it's Douglas Bond's best book. The characters, the dialog, the plot- excellent! Reading it reminded me a lot of the Gladiator movie.
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I personally didn't read this book, but my 10 year old ate it up in a day. He loved it! He said he loved the history and the action in it. I love that my children can read Biblically sound literature by an author I can trust. So thankful for Douglas Bond!
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-8-and-up
Mom read this out loud when I was round 16 or 17. Loved it then, and love it still. All my younger brothers and sisters love it as well.
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good, maybe earns the spot of one of my favorites. If you want to know what the book is about, read it. :)
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An exciting novel. Douglas Bond dealt with Ancient Rome very well, and I'll be reading more from him in the future!
Dawn Roberts
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Great idea, but it fell flat for me. Modern boy uncovers a story of intrigue in a Roman fort along Hadrian's wall. Seemed unrealistic to us. I read this to Annika.
Lori Baker
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great fictional Christian book. Kal enjoyed it.
Chloe Cruz
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really great book! I would definitely recommend it to anyone!
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book. Interesting story most of the way through.
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boyhood
I really enjoyed this book. It was probably the most absorbing and riveting of any of the Bond books I've read so far.
Michael Dore
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Dragon and the Raven, or, The Days of King Alfred
  • Blood Feud
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Hawk That Dare Not Hunt by Day
  • Augustine Came to Kent
  • Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt
Douglas Bond, author of fifteen books, lives with his wife and six children in Washington State. He is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), teaches English and history at Covenant High School, and was awarded the regional Teacher Award for teaching young people how to write. He lectures on literature and Church history and leads study tours in Europe.
More about Douglas Bond...

Heroes & History (3 books)
  • Hand of Vengeance (Heroes & History #2)
  • Hammer of the Huguenots (Heroes and History #3)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys