Start by marking “The Alchemist's Key” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist's Key

The Alchemist's Key

Wade Ashby inherits his grandfather's estate in Oxfordshire, England, becoming 13th Baron of Ashby Manor. He travels from Australia with his friend Hugh to take up his birthright and find out why there is secrecy surrounding certain aspects of the baronage and members of the family. the two are caught up in strange dreams and odd time occurrences. Led back through the ...more
Published June 2nd 1999 by Voyager - AU

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist's Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist's Key

Start your review of The Alchemist's Key
Melissa (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
The first time I read this book, I was about 12-14. Now, roughly 14 years later and a few rereads, this remains one of my favourite books.

With a unique mix of sci-fi, paranormal, drama and a dash of mystery, makes a really fun, fast read. With old science and alchemy vs new technology of computers and internet, ghosts parading about and staff that refuse to call the new Baron by his first name, what's not to love?
Susanne Mills
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Fantasy really isn’t my thing so probably an unfair rating. It was ok, I read it but was glad I finished it!!
Victoria
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It felt a bit like I was reading a book aimed at teenagers but I really enjoyed it! got to know the characters, felt I was along the ride with them and although it was a bit scoobydoo-esq, this lighthearted but interesting story kept my attention. Just enough "magic" and I enjoyed the time ripple / supernatural premise.
Mira
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't know why I tried another audiobook as I really don't get along with them. I was surprised to find this was written by a woman as I found sections of it horribly misogynistic.

I didn't really enjoy. The story was padded for days and I didn't really like Wade as a lead character.
K.R. Smith
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After 'The Ancient Future' this is my second favourite Traci Harding novel. It blends my two favourite genre's masterfully; sci-fi and the supernatural. It's a light but intriguing read where you pick it up during a break but then you can't put it down.
Katie
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
An easy light read
Maddy
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobookin
I didn't finish it, but I think I read enough to review it. I'm not really sure how to say this eloquently, but Wade and Hugh, the main characters, just suck for some reason. I can't quite figure out why I dislike them this much. I feel this way about the entire book. Trust me, it's bad, but I really can't think of why I'd rather read the entire Twilight series than finish this one book. I'm going to try and expain anyway, though.
So, I listened to this on audiobook. And I was really, really
SarahBubbalooStitch
Skye
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harding always sweeps me away on an epic journey that is both unexpected and thrilling. Somehow, she not only manages to weave an amazing world of mystery and mayhem, her trips into spirituality and the other leave you thinking about it in a way that no other author is able to inspire. The Alchemist’s Key was definitely such a journey for me, and one that was a little less in depth and intense than some of the other Traci Harding books which grace my shelves.

Although this is primarily set in
Ashley Will
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this Australian novel and Richard Piper is a very good narrator. I enjoyed this story that included mystery, romance, a strange cat, and time travel. The tale leaves off as if there could be a sequel, although it is a standalone novel.
Debbie Lamb
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A storyline I liked but the writing left me a little confused as to whether this was supposed to be YA or adult fiction. It seemed a little naive and cliched and I was left rushing to get to the end.
Sarah Smit
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first read this in high school, and was hooked within pages. The pace was just right and easy to follow.
Jeremy Cartner
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking book from the pen of Traci Harding. This stand alone novel is a fun fast paced read that is gripping from start to finish. When Wade Ashby inherits his grandfathers estate in Oxfordshire he and his best friend Hugh travel from Australia in order to take up his birthright. The two are caught up in strange dreams and odd time occurrences and have to unravel what is happening. Harding certainly has a grip on characterization as her characters are instantly recognisable and ...more
Carla Khoo
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun book indeed! I have been a fan of Traci Harding for years now, and had focused my efforts (rather effortlessly I might add) on working my way through her main series:'Ancient Future, Celestial Triad and Triad of Being', as well as the side series called 'Mystique'.

When I ran our of 'Traci' I went into a blind panic and WANTED MORE. Thankfully, she'd written a few stand alone books, and this was one of them. Full of adventure and adversity, this book is balanced by a good
Sean Randall
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can’t say exactly what it was that made me enjoy this book so much. The writing was fluid and the story interesting and, even though the characters were a little cheesy and predictable, the idea works so well and is such a quick, breathtakingly enjoyable story that you don’t mind it. I’ll have to consider reading more Harding.
Ariel Brown
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Set in an old English castle, with interactive ghostly encounters through history, the lovable pot-smoking primary character explores his family history. Again Traci Harding explores certain metaphysical concepts within a fictitious story.
Ev
Nov 22, 2009 added it
Love Traci Harding
Wendy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wlh-library
I enjoyed this a lot, but it felt like it finished in a rush. That is all the ends got tidied up neatly. A little too neatly perhaps.
Lorna
Mar 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Bloody terrible.
Zainab
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Actually enjoyed it, although it's not for everyone. I guess I'm just a sucker for time travel stuff :)
Cooper209
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book, heavier than i was expecting Mature(ish) content, liked 4/5
Sherman Berry
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, thriller, paranormal
Average. Would be a good book for a plane trip as you barely have to think. Enjoyable without being stimulating. Read worse. Read better.
Monica Bugno
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Probably a bit young for me. Great author though!
Karon
Gwenda
Dec 30, 2017
Leigh Warner
Oct 23, 2014

• Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • Voyage of the Shadowmoon
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • The Gloaming
  • Firstborn
  • The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
  • A Skinful of Shadows
  • Mentors: How to Help and be Helped
  • Little Me: My Life from A-Z
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Trojan Women
  • Successor's Promise (Millennium's Rule, #3)
  • Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)
  • The Travelling Bag (Kindle Single)
Traci Harding, is an Australian science-fantasy author who currently has twelve books in publication, on the Voyager label of HaperCollins Publishers Australia.

Her work blends fantasy, fact, esoteric belief, time travel and quantum physics, into adventurous romps through history, ulternative dimensions, universes and states of consciousness.

The Ancient Future Trilogy