Start by marking “Cavaliers and Roundheads: The English Civil War, 1642-1649” as Want to Read:
Cavaliers and Roundheads: The English Civil War, 1642-1649

Cavaliers and Roundheads: The English Civil War, 1642-1649

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In a field in Nottingham in the summer of 1642, King Charles I watched his standard being raised in a high wind and driving rain. For six years thereafter, England was rent by civil war.

Families and friends were bitterly divided as men left home to fight for King or Parliament. Castles and towns, which a year before had been "scenes of happiness and plenty," were besieged
Hardcover, First Edition (A Robert Stewart Book), 337 pages
Published December 31st 1993 by Charles Scribner's Sons (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cavaliers and Roundheads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cavaliers and Roundheads

4triplezed
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, england
A well written beginners guide to the English Civil Wars. There are others that I found more interesting but if pushed to select one that was ideal for those without deep knowledge this would be it.
Adam
As usual, Christopher Hibbert conveys his thorough research of historical sources in a highly readable way in this book about Britain's Civil Wars between 1642 and '49. He guides us through the complex tangle and turmoil, which resulted in a horrendous loss of life and cruel behaviour hardly imaginable in the UK today, but, sadly, evident in many other parts of the world at this very moment.

Religious differences were amongst the causes of this horrendous upheaval, but also at stake was the amou
Cera
Jul 27, 2009 marked it as on-hold
I suspect I'm not the intended audience for this book, because I got _so_ bogged down in the details, especially the paragraphs that were just lists of names of people who were supporting one side or the other. Maybe once I have a better grounding in the history of the period I'll find this more useful, but it was definitely not the right starting place. I want something that explains more about _why_ Charles married a Roman Catholic, and _why_ the Puritans were so convinced that there was a hug ...more
Marcus
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Considering the fact that this is one of the classic works on the subject, I can't help but feeling a bit let down by this book. By relying heavily on correspondence and speaches from main characters of the war describing small and retelling of small curious episodes that happened to individuals of different ranks in society, the author creates a decent picture of the effects of the conflict on English society of the time. He fails however to provide deeper analysis of the political scene, while ...more
Kristi
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Well-written (i.e. highly readable) but ultimately mind-numbingly close examination of the English civil war -- too many people and places for a historical dilettante like me. Depressing to read about what a pointless war this was (at the conclusion, key figures said that so many died with little effect) and that many of each side's soldiers plundered and pillaged the English people -- story after story of this -- sad.
Susan Grimshaw
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a bit of a struggle to get through this book, but it does contain some very interesting snippets. The horror and futility of the Civil War was brought home to me. The only rational person on either side was Thomas Fairfax.
David
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2016
This is an in-depth chronicle of a time in English history that I think most non-English people either forget about or are unaware. This has a lot of names, and a lot of events, but does a great job balancing between the major players, the military events as well as social life.
Allen
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid and straightforward chronological history of the English Civil War. Good overview, but if you're looking for in-depth analysis, you need to do more reading.
Kris
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The appendix (which I skimmed) starts at about 70% - I'll just considers it read. Wasn't that much fun.
Mark Brewer
  • Battle: The Story of the Bulge
  • William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England
  • William Wallace: Brave Heart
  • The Tsar's Last Armada: The Epic Journey to the Battle of Tsushima
  • A Wilderness of Sin (An Uncivil War #3)
  • William Marshal: The Flower of Chivalry
Christopher Hibbert, MC, FRSL, FRGS (5 March 1924 - 21 December 2008) was an English writer, historian and biographer. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and the author of many books, including Disraeli, Edward VII, George IV, The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici, and Cavaliers and Roundheads.

Described by Professor Sir John Plumb as "a writer of the highest ability and in the N