Start by marking “The Baby Trap” as Want to Read:
The Baby Trap

The Baby Trap

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When Gina turns thirty-three her body clock unexpectedly begins clanging in her ear with annoying persistence. The only problem is, having a baby isn't as easy as she thought. Whether she's feng shui-ing the house to death with fertility symbols, throwing out her husband's tight boxers in favour of baggies, swapping wine and chocolate for green tea and yams, popping fertil ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Createspace (first published December 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Trap

Kelley Something
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let’s get one thing straight: I am not on the baby train.

I need to get some more life experience under my belt, go back to school, become financially stable, and get married. Yep, that’s a long, long way to go.

So, I wasn’t sure if I would like The Baby Trap by Sibel Hodge. I mean, it’s all about babies, infertility, and all of the tricks and tools of the trade. It all starts when Gina realizes that she actually does want to have children with her husband, Karl. However, after months and months o
Angela Holtz
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

Very classy cover, definitely eye catching with the pink and all the baby items. I love that font too. :)

The story is funny and gripping. I really couldn't put it down once I started. You know it's bad when you are laying in bed thinking, "I could get up and finish that book right now."

I never had an issue with infertility, although we were expecting me to. Hodge does such a great job with her descriptive writing that you really felt what Gina felt all through the tracki
Darcysmom
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win a copy of The Baby Trap in a contest sponsored by the lovely Sibel Hodge.

Perhaps funny, sweet, and poignant aren't the first words you think of regarding a book about the journey of infertility. The Baby Trap is all that and more.

Gina wakes up one morning and realizes the one thing missing from her life is a baby. Thus begins Gina and Karl's journey toward parenthood. The road to baby is about a million times bumpier than either of them could have predicted.

Gina is a fa
Joanne
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sibel-hodge
Warning: don't drink while reading; thank goodness eReaders have glass screens so are easy to clean after spitting coffee on them. 'The Baby Trap' is an emotional rollercoaster: one minute I was laughing out loud, and the next I had tears rolling down my face. Sibel Hodge handles the difficult subject of infertility with the humour that I associate with her, but also a great deal of sensitivity. I read into the early hours as I couldn't put it down until the very end. I highly recommend this boo ...more
Amanda
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although this book is fiction. Its a story about infertility and a couple's journey through IVF based on the authors own life experience.
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sophie Kinsella or Meg Cabot
Recommended to Lyn (Readinghearts) by: Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
The Baby Trap is my first book by Sibel Hodge. How can a book about the trials and tribulations of infertility be funny or enjoyable? It seems impossible given the subject matter, but Sibel succeeds in making it both, as well as poignant, eye-opening, and informative. I must say, I was impressed. I was expecting something like a Sophie Kinsella book, and while there are similarities, this book had a bit more depth to me.

The opening line of the book, "Why is it that you spend most of your young
Chrissy
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
For the next six months, we had so much sex I thought his willy might fall off from overuse...

If there's anything that Gina wants.. needs.. and MUST HAVE... on the whole entire planet, it is (of course) a baby. Since all of Gina's friends have had such an easy time getting pregnant, it shouldn't be THAT hard for Gina and her husband to get pregnant, right?

WRONG.

After months and months of trying, Gina is at the end of her patience with trying to conceive a child. Thinking she's tried everything
Krissy
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
As someone facing and dealing with fertility issues this book was a blessing and a welcomed ,much needed lol riot. The author completely understands and depicts so many feelings that I for one can not put into words with out crying. I loved this book not just because I saw so much of myself in Gina ,but because ms.hodge took a very touchy subject ,made it interesting and sometimes funny with out losing the severity of it. It is almost as if Ms.Hodge were in my head when writing this. The depicti ...more
Lisa
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I thought it was really funny despite being about a devastating topic. I was very blessed and never had infertility issues, but I have had many friends who have and even though this book was fiction, it's based on real-life events for sure (even the author explains that at the end). I felt like it gave me a good perspective on what some couples go through. I felt like I would be like a lot like the main character if I would have had issues with infertility, and I'm sure I woul ...more
Lisa Lim
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this book! It was fun, spunky and oh so relatable. Baby Trap definitely struck a chord with me. Like Gina, I struggled with infertility. It took me about 3 years before I was finally pregnant with my first child and I found myself nodding my head many times as I related to Gina's frustrations and exasperation. Baby Trap is hilarious but it also addresses a difficult, sensitive and often times complicated topic. It is a very relevant story and Sibel Hodge has brought her tra ...more
Christine Cunningham
Gina loves to have a good time. In fact, that's how she met her husband. One morning after a party Gina has a vision of a blue-eyed baby in her garden. Her groggy husband stumbles to the kitchen and is surprised by Gina blurting out that she wants a baby. After several months of trying to conceive, the couple begins a tiring quest through fertility treatments, fertility spells and a few other desperate acts to produce the elusive baby.

I really enjoyed this book. There are several characters we m
Samantha March
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of The Baby Trap in exchange for an honest review.

What a fun read! I love books where I am nothing like the main character yet I totally get her. I think that is major kudos to the writer. I really enjoyed the energy between Gina and her husband. Gina gets a tad crazy when it comes to making a baby, but her hubs sticks by her even when she makes him lay off the alcohol and start drinking green tea. I am not on the baby train quite yet in my life, but I really got into this stor
Theresa
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
This was a well written book. I enjoyed how truly British it was (I'm American). The characters were likeable, and Gina (the main character) was truly believable. I would have liked to see Karl a little more developed though.

This is a story of infertility and not something I can relate to very well but it did make me sympathetic to the situation. It truly gave me an insight to how crazy we will become when we want something. I truly wished for her to have a double line each month!! I doubt I wou
Crystal
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed reading this book.

Gina and Karl are a great couple. Everything changes when Gina decides that she wants a baby.

This book tells about what a relationship goes through when you want something and everything else becomes second to that goal.

The author did a great job with this book and her characters. She made you laugh even while she was telling the emotional parts. I felt lots of emotions while reading this book. I had concerns when I was first married with trying to have a baby.
Neesi
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Sibel Hodge, her publisher, and Netgalley for the priviledge to enjoy the ARC. This story is so funny, I caught myself laughing out loud numerous times. I can't really relate to the story because I wasn't ever caught in the same situation but Sibel Hodge had me understanding and feeling what it would be like. I have to admit that Gina was over the top at times and also downright crazy...she drove ME crazy. But that's why it was so funny and why I was entertained. Great read to brigh ...more
Robyn Kennerson
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book took me on a trip down memory lane, with all the laughter and sorrow that having infertility problems entail. I had done all of those things and then some, including boiling chinese herbs and drinking them twice a day (tasted like creek water). The merry-go-round of the visits to the clinic each month, knowing my reproductive cycle like the back of my hand and spending 5 years doing IVF - sadly to fall pregnant once and then miscarry at 15 weeks and that was it, it just wasn't mea ...more
Alaura Robinson
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anyone struggling with infertility can relate to the characters in this book. You try everything, but nothing works! It's very frustrating, but this book did a good job of using humor as well.

I would read this book when I was feeling alone. It made me feel like I had a friend who understood the struggles that come with infertility. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's going through this.
Tina
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Although I never went through IVF it did take me over a year to conceive my first child so I could really relate to the character.

For a book that is covering such a emotive subject it was so funny. Funnier for me because I did try a couple of things that she did. It was also sad in parts and I really felt for the main character.

I would highly recommend this book. It normally takes me around one month to read a book but I read this in a few days.d
Felicia
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I got this through First Reads, and it was as good as I thought it would be! Though I have no interest in having children now, the main character seemed very relatable to me as she struggled with her wish for a child and not wanting to seem crazy. She really wanted to have a kid and was willing to do anything to have that dream fulfilled, but at the same time she seemed like a real person, worrying if all this effort was a little much. This was a very good read!
Tracey
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I could have written this myself. Although we're not going through IVF, we have spent 7 years trying for a baby and gone through 4 miscarriages and an ectopic. The emotions, the jealousy, the crazy things Gina does in her quest to have a baby are pretty accurate. This book had my smiling knowingly and also crying at the pain she was going through. Well worth a read, especially if you're trying for a baby or know someone who's struggling to have one.
Naomi Blackburn
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different book for Sibel. As someone who has read everything Sibel has written, I would say this book is my second favorite of hers, with Trafficked, being my first. She sort of went chicklitish with it, but through the "wit and cuteness" you could really feel for the pain and frustration of Gina. Also, as someone who has had a large number of friends who suffer from infertility in many forms, the insensitivity of the friends who don't suffer from it was dead on.
The Romance Bookie
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 17 and up, women, mothers, women trying to be become mothers, and anyone looking for a great laugh!
Oh my God, I loved this book! I was laughing so hard sometimes, I felt like I was going pee my pants! It was hilarious and heartfelt. Absolutely lovely! Gina was an amazing character, her thoughts (!!!) oh, my were they hysterical! Even though the book is on the sensitive subject of a woman who is unable to have a baby, Sibel, wrote it with such humor, that as a reader I just couldn't help but absolutely love it!! READ IT!!!!
Traci Hohenstein
The Baby Trap is now my favorite books so far by Sibel Hodge. I stayed up til the wee hours reading and laughing my way through the novel. It has everything you want and expect in a rom-com: a real life situation coupled with quirky characters and witty writing. Anyone who has tried to get pregnant can easily identify with the characters and story. If you've never read a book by Hodge, start with this one. You won't be disappointed.
M.A. Comley
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gina and Karl are a fun loving couple until Gina gets obsessed with having the one thing out of her reach... a baby.

Through the course of this book, you'll laugh at the comical situations Gina finds herself in and cry at the heartache the couple go through to achieve accomplishing their dreams, often putting their marriage at risk.
Book-shelf Shelf
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply brilliant account of the lengths people will go to for a baby. Had me laughing alot, which is sometimes the only way you can take such a massive let down in life. Sibel has hit the nail and brought more humour to such a touchy subject than i thought possible.
Janie
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Super funny!
M.D. Bowden
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book with an amazing ending. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I'd read it before I had kids myself.
Ceri
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Amazing, hysterical, loved it!
Eileen
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story about a lovable couple trying to get pregnant and all of the hurdles they have to go through.. At times , very funny and humorous.
Katelitwin
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book definitely sums up what it is like to be a woman dealing with infertility. Though my battles with this topic are over, it was good to read and know I was not way crazy back then!
  • The Dream You Make
  • In Need of Therapy
  • Little Island
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (The Toadhouse Trilogy, #1)
  • Love...Under Different Skies
  • The Children of Henry VIII
  • First Time for Everything
  • Glass House 51
  • The Christmas Daughter: A Marienstadt Story (Marienstadt Stories, #2)
  • Stay Tuned
  • What Matters Most (Memory House Collection)
  • Short Stories
  • Read the Flower: The Beautiful Beginning (Fleur Passages #1)
  • Night Sky
  • The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2)
  • Now and Forever
  • Bella
  • Cold Girl (B.C. Blues Crime, #1)

Sibel Hodge is the author of the #1 Bestsellers Look Behind You, Untouchable, and Duplicity. Her books have sold over one million copies and are international bestsellers in the UK, USA, Australia, France, Canada and Germany. She writes in an eclectic mix of genres, and is a passionate human and animal rights advocate.

Her work has been nominated and shortlisted for numerous prizes, including the H
More about Sibel Hodge

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99