Start by marking “Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,881 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

Young Fiona, rider of the gold queen Talenth, has returned from the past, where she and a group of dragons and riders fled so that the wounded could heal from their previous battles with Thread and the younger dragons could safely grow to fighting age. Gone only three days, yet aged more than three years, Fiona is no longer a child but a woman prepared to fight against the
Published December 1st 2011 by Createspace (first published November 23rd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonholder

Hilary
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little dismayed when I saw how short this was, but the introduction explained why: written in 1999, it's more like a scrapbook of family stories, and ends in 1988 shortly after The White Dragon was first published.

In it we learn about Anne's childhood, what - and who - brought her to Ireland, and how elements of life influenced everything from her characters' emotional distress to those little touches of reality like bubbly pies and overly-intelligent animals as well as events which bec
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard.

Don’t go into Todd McCaffrey’s Dragonholder expecting a thorough and insightful portrait of Anne McCaffrey. Instead, the book is a self-described “scrapbook” of memories, stories, and background information about Todd’s famous mother. Like most scrapbooks, it’s somewhat superficial and not at all critical; it’s also choppy, jumping back and forth in time in ways that are usually but not always clear.

The book was written back in the late 1980s
Sharon
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
A biography only a son could have written, with love and respect. This does cover very well Anne's life (so far). I've loved her books for as long as she's been writing so to have an opportunity to look into a window into her life, not intrusively, was exquisite. Very much enjoyed the book.
Evelyn Ryan
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mine is autographed by Todd (10/12/08)!!
Judy
I am not normally a biography reader, though I suppose you can't tell since this is my second biography this year. But as a huge fan of Anne McCaffrey's, this was a story I wanted to read.

See, the very first author stalking I did was on Anne McCaffrey. A friend had lent me the first three books in the Harper Hall portion of the Pern series. The three about Menolly. And I fell in LOVE with Pern. This led me to more Pern books with Lessa, F'Lar, F'Nor, Robinton, Jaxom and Mirrim.

Next I discovered
Ionia
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike many who will read this book I was not a lifelong fan of Anne McCaffrey. I own many of her books, but have read not a single one up to this point, but I love anything biographical so this looked really interesting, and it was.

For those who have been reading her work for many years, this should fill in the knowledge gaps nicely. This book is written in a very personal way, with family pets and life changes included. The middle son of the author does a good job painting a picture of Anne's
Randal
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scrapbook

The introduction stated that the book had been written in a scrapbook style, and that was very true. While it had many interesting tidbits, I found the style disjointed and at times difficult to follow.
Kathleen
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great peek into the life of one of my favorite authors! I liked learning about her as a person, as well as a writer. It's a shame I never got a chance to visit her in person, but I feel like I understand her a little better now.
Mariah
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
proof I am born in the wrong era I absolutely love this writer now
Kim
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up reading many of Anne McCaffrey's works, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read this novel when offered at NetGalley. Nowadays there are a lot of books which delve into the world of dragons and magic, but back when Anne first began to create the world of Pern and its many inhabitants, there weren't many. Very few Science Fiction writers who created such worlds were women, putting Anne ahead of the game in many respects. This book chronicled much of Anne's life from her parents ...more
Shay VanZwoll
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally written in 1999, Dragonholder is the story of Anne McCaffrey's life, as written by her son Todd McCaffrey - starting with her grandparents and ending when she purchased Dragonhold in 1988. Originally published in hardcover and paperback, Open Road Media is now re-releasing this memoir of one of the most important Science Fiction authors in kindle format with a scheduled publication date of December 23, 2014.

As the years have passed, a forward was added to the book in 2011, and an intr
Theresa
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by Todd J. McCaffrey
I am glad that Open Books is coming out with this e version of this book. I have been an Anne Mccaffrey fan for decades, but when this book was published i chose the new book by Anne then the back story of her life and writing. To me her books were the escape i used to survive the difficult points in life, so as a reader her writing was foremost in my choice of books to read. Yes i would place everything on the back
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by Todd J. McCaffrey
Star Bookworm
This is a unique style of biography scrapbook. It blends old photos with anecdotal stories. Written by her son and originally published in 1999, this biography shows not necessarily how dragons became to be Anne McCaffrey's bread and butter but how writing as a profession affects a person. Here came a lady in the late 60s who planned on writing in the man-club science fiction arena and being successful at it.

Anne McCaffrey made the conscious decision to make her living writing about the creature
MeriBeth
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, biography
Of all the books I've reviewed so far, this is the hardest one to comment on because in all honesty it really disappointed me. Not so much the text itself, which is a delightful scrapbook of memories of Anne McCaffery by her son and coauthor Todd McCaffery, but in the fact that despite being a so-called 'updated' release for Kindle/ebook by Open Road Media, the book doesn't really add any new material outside a brief quick synopsis by Todd in an introduction for the ebook edition. I would have l ...more
Jennifer  (BTH Reviews)
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) is a biography written by Todd McCaffrey about his mother Anne McCaffrey, the renowned fantasy author. It was originally written in 1999, but was re-released in December 2014 with a new cover.

If you want to know more about Anne McCaffrey, her family, her friends, or her work, this is a good book to
Susan
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A biography of a famous science fiction/fantasy writer written by her son was delightful to read. The book jumps around to different times in the life of Anne McCaffrey There is discussion of her bad marriage and how much happier she was when the marriage was ended. There are basic facts about her life also. It is full of anecdotes rather than an in depth biography. I enjoyed the book but realized that not all the things I wanted to know about Anne were not answered. It was like visiting someone ...more
Jolyn
I read the "Dragonriders of Pern" books a number of years ago and enjoyed them. When I came across this book, I was interested to learn more about Anne McCaffrey, author of those books. "Dragonholder" shared details about Anne's life and family as well as how she came to write many of the Pern books (who encouraged her to write them, relationships with editors, who inspired some of the characters, etc.). I am not familiar with all of the books mentioned but I recognized many of them. It was also ...more
Stasha
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A short biography of one of my favorite authors, written by her son who doesn't like his father much. It made me want tofo out and find some of her early stories. It's hard to forget that before Anne - women wore chainmail bikinis when they wore clothes ar all. She pioneered the strong female lead. Lessa and Menolly not to mention Killashandra. She was a strong woman who endured a lot. When I met her at a booksigning in college, she looked like everyone's ideal grandmother. It wasnice to learn t ...more
Ramona
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Dragons of Pern series. One of my favorites. I enjoyed listening to them, reading them, collecting them. To be able to read a book about Anne McCaffrey, filled in a lot of unanswered questions. There isn't another writer like her...well, a few come close! It makes me sad everytime I think about her passing and the loss of more books about Pern. She was ahead of her time, having an amazing imagination.
Jack Mason
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love Anne McCaffrey you need to read this book. It was written by her son Todd and gives you some great insight into where she got her ideas and what her life was like. It was amazing. A lot of her characters were based on people in her life. Events and situations her characters were in related to things that were going on in her life at the time she was writing. All in all this book is a must read for any Anne McCaffrey fan.
Sara
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book thinking it would be a Pern story. It's actually a biographical story about Anne McCaffrey, written by her son. I went ahead and read it. I learned some interesting things about her--she used to make homemade bread, is a good cook. It talks about her progress as an author, a little about her family and her divorce. Other careers she pursued-in theater and music in addition to her writing, and some of the people who inspired stories and characters she's created.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Although short, this biography was very welcoming. Both Anne and Todd invite the reader in to get to know them, telling stories about the past the way good friends do over coffee or beer or whatever. It has a slightly rambling quality that reminiscences often have, and both humor and heart are at the center of it all. I would be happy to read an expanded and more detailed version of this sometime in the future, though at the same time, the length of this one feels just right.
Karen-Leigh
I adore the Pern universe. The story behind the story creation. First review in 2002. Book was shorter than I remembered and it saddened me to realize there were so many more books and she is gone. This book covered the years before success and just at the very beginning when she could live on her writing.
Jaclyn
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Life as a Bookworm

You can see the full review on my blog listed above.

Dragonsong was my first book of Anne and to get the chance to find out more about her was great! I received the book from Netgalley for an honest review.
Guy
I loved this book because it gave me a glimpse into the life of one of my most favorite authors. It was amazing to see how all of SciFi greatest and most talented writers knew and interacted with each other. As a nerd growing up in the 60's I have read most of them and they have contributed to many of my happiest memories.

Do yourself a favor and read this book!
Icarus
Jul 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoy biographies so much, I probably should seek them out more. But I pretty much only read them when they fall into my lap. Oh well. I enjoyed learning the history behind McCaffrey's creation of Pern and her rise to prominence in SF.
Kathy Hassig
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Good Book

I have always loved Anne McCaffrey's books. This one was written by her son. To read the story of her life and the stories behind her books was very enjoyable and interesting.
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too short. Didn't really get into it.
Rabbitt
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a nice read. I don't often read biographies but enjoyed a brief look into my favorite authors life. It was fun to see how some of her books came about.
  • A Diversity of Dragons
  • The People of Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
Todd J. McCaffrey (born as Todd Johnson) is an Irish American author of science fiction best known for continuing the Dragonriders of Pern series in collaboration with his mother Anne McCaffrey.

Todd Johnson was born 27 April 1956 in Montclair, New Jersey as the second son and middle child of Horace Wright Johnson (deceased 2009), who worked for DuPont, and Anne McCaffrey (deceased 2011), who had h
More about Todd McCaffrey

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division