Start by marking “Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster” as Want to Read:
Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster

Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Is your monster misbehaving?
Is he eating your favorite shirts?
Is he using your hairbrush to clean his teeth?
Is he annoying your family on car trips?
Never fear those monster mishaps again!

Laura Numeroff and Nate Evans, the world's leading experts on monsters and the mischief they make, have created the ultimate 10-Step Guide to Living With Your Monster.

A portion of the proc
Published March 26th 2002 by HarperCollins

Be the first to ask a question about Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster

Tiffany
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Silly and funny. The kids loved it.
Brin
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-children
It almost wants to be about kids but almost wants to be about pets but pretends to be about monsters, and is not really about any of those. But the illustrations are very fun and the kids laughed a lot.
Amanda
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how adaptable this book is! I've been able to shorten the story very easily just by reading the top part of the page. Some kids can handle longer, some can't.
Pam
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun book to teach about process. Numeroff takes us through the steps from buying a monster at the monster store to caring for it's needs.
Ashley Salisbury
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very creative and very fun.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book teaches your child how to care for a new monster, or pet, or monster. Silly, and very colorful, which I love.
Karissa Kelly
This book gives 10 steps on how to live with your monster. Things like green lollipops, fetch, and bubble gum are all included in this silly, yet fun reading. You'll learn what to do and what not to do when it comes to choosing and taking care of your pet monster.

I loved this book! The author, Laura Numeroff, makes this reading fun and entertaining. You never know what will be behind the next page, but it is sure to be something silly and sweet. I also loved the bright colors in this book. Each
Michelle McBeth
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is full of fun and colorful illustrations about how to keep a monster as pet. the story concept is creative and quirky. The only reason for four stars instead of five is because there were a few things that threw me. First, the very first illustration of the story was of a mean scary monster. I didn't feel this set the mood well for the rest of the book. Also, why does dad get the green lollipops? This seemed out of place as well.
Overall this is a delightful story that children of many
Brent
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents and children, also banjo players
Recommended to Brent by: Northside Methodist Preschool Library
We enjoyed the care and feeding advice. The illustrations by Nate Evans are silly enough that a child might actually want one of these monsters. Numeroff, author of the If you Gave a Mouse a Cookie series, is quite witty in her recommendations, such as, "Step 1 - Buying your Monster
When choosing a monster, do not pick one who grabs you and starts to eat your shirt. Pick the monster who can play the banjo and tie his own shoes."
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the pictures in this book. Whenever I read this book, it makes me wanna imagine what my monster would look like. It is a creative book. When the students are reading this book, the teacher can direct the students by showing them different pictures of monster and what they would do in real life. The author did an excellent job of point out the 10 guides when living with a monster. This book can have a good cause and effect discussion in the classroom.
Emily
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
A practical, easy-to-follow guide for all of your monster owning needs! Laura Numeroff provides readers with ten steps to simple monster ownership, from purchasing to naming to bathing. I would recommend this book if your child has been asking to get a pet, because owning a pet and owning a monster are practically the same thing. It’ll provide a few giggles as well.
Marcia
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A colorful, silly guide to monster care. The step by step format might be useful in the classroom, if students are learning to write directions. It could also lead to a discussion on pet ownership responsibilities. I didn't find it particularly funny, and enjoyed her "Give a Mouse a Cookie" series much more.
Sidney Chumbler
This book is all about how to live with a monster. It teaches you how to buy a monster, how to take care of one, how to play with one, how to take it to a vet, so much more. This book is a great example of a how to book for kids. It teaches you all about something silly, but fun. This would also be a great read aloud book.
Kell*
Nov 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: k-1 read aloud
Shelves: fantasy
I love this book because these days kids only know about monsters through disney animations and pixar like monsters inc. I think it is a cute story and it would be so fun for each student to create their own personal monster and write a guide to taking care of it.
Vrena
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wonderful artwork...Wonderful steps...Silly things that happen when training your monster! I think this would be a great book to use of illustrating the steps involved in taking care of anything, monsters to dogs to lizards. And it certainly helps children understand how to think ahead.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I call my son, my little monster man, so when we saw this book at the library, we knew we had to check it out. And we both enjoyed it.

The steps and brightly colored illustrations are silly and will surely get young kiddos to giggle :).
Liz Todd
This book has great pictures to support the text. Read the text, infer why the advice was given, and then reveal the picture. Very funny and quite thoughtful. I wish it was a 20 step book. Caedmon especially enjoyed this one.
Laurel
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My son picked this out at the library last week. We've read it over and over at our house, our kids really like it. The illustrations are colorful and interesting and fun. The story is very cute. My husband and I liked it as well. I like the little quotes on the back too!
Frank
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Frank really liked this book. He liked it a lot more than I did. We read it quite a bit this week.
June Guymon
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A darling picture book with terrific illustrations.
Tyanne
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: k-2
Shelves: picturebook
counting book to taking care of your monster
Savannah
I love Numeroff and all of her books! Great for young students. Good for a mini lesson on how to write manuals or instructions or just to introduce and new fun way to write.
Rosa Cline
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
what a fun book especially to read out loud.
Elizabeth S
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
What everyone needs to know about how to take care of your monster. From selecting the right monster at the store to putting your monster to bed--all very helpful advice!
Kayla
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book. It is humorus and I think that children will love it. It shows how to cope to living iwth a moster. Very funny!
Kirsten Murphy
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun read! It begs for a follow-up activity of creating the reader's own monster.
Rebecca Mullins
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very humerous book with great illustrations. It goes through 10 ways to living with a pet monster. This is a good book for 1-3 grade. Expect laughs!
Renee
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-K
The author of If you give a mouse a cookie gives helpful tips on how to live with a monster.
Bree
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'ᐯE ᗩᒪᗯᗩYᔕ ᗯOᑎᗪEᖇEᗪ ᗩᗷOᑌT TᕼE ᔕTEᑭᔕ TO ᒪIᐯIᑎG ᗯITᕼ ᗩ ᗰOᑎᔕTEᖇ, ᔕO TᕼIᔕ ᗷOOK ᗩᑎᔕᗯEᖇEᗪ ᗩ ᒪOT Oᖴ ᗰY ᑫᑌEᔕTIOᑎᔕ
Laura McLoughlin
Some pretty solid advice for peaceful living with your monster. Kids will love.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Beetle Bop
  • One Is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Stick
  • Olive and the Big Secret
  • Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways (Zelda and Ivy #4)
  • Hello, Snow!
  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
Laura Joffe Numeroff is the New York Times bestselling author of author of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Raising a Hero, and What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. She was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from Pratt Institute. Laura grew up as the youngest of three girls, surrounded by art, music, and books. An avid animal lover, Laura has always wanted to write a book about service dogs. She now ...more
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...