Start by marking “The Forbidden Zone” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Zone

The Forbidden Zone

Whitley Strieber has long been renowned as one of America's most spellbinding storytellers, a writer whose novels have consistently broken new ground in the exploration of the dark unknown. With The Forbidden Zone, he continues his journey beyond the cutting edge of terrifying suspense into the sphere of a relentless psychological thriller only he could have written. Every ...more
Published May 1st 1994 by Onyx (first published July 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden Zone

Start your review of The Forbidden Zone
Rebecca McNutt
This book is much better than it looks, daring to dive into the horror of the unknown, taking a popular place and filling it with an obscure terror. Definitely a book worth reading.
Joey
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scary. The first half of the book better than the latter. It got a little long-winded in the second half, as the two main characters kept getting into the same situation repeatedly time after time to make it somewhat tiresome. But if Lovecraftian type far out horror is your cup of tea then this is for you.
Mary
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Every town has a place like the mound - a place where lovers go to meet, picnic and sleigh ride. But for Oscala, New York, the mound has become a place of terror. I found that this story started out very scary, but then turned very much science fiction. I don't really like science fiction too much. I give it a B+!
Betty
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
It was like driving down a really bumpy road trying not to spill your drink!
Melissa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Doug Brunell
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Ultimately, this book is disappointing in all the worst ways. I found myself asking several questions throughout it. "Did the editor quit halfway through?" "Has Strieber ever listened to people talk?" "If an eleven-year-old with no discernible skills suddenly hot wires multiple vehicles, and answers 'I forget' when asked how he knew how to do that, isn't that concerning to the reader in some way?"

I liked the Lovecraft influence (and I think this book may have influenced the creators of "Stranger
Phil Kozel
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This novel has a frenetic pace from start to finish. I enjoyed the nod to Lovecraft and this also has shades of King's "the Mist." This is a reread and a decade later, I still enjoyed it. This is the only Strieber novel I have read, so I really cannot compare it to his other work. 3.5 stars.
Michelle Hanson
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good.. though I didnt like the ending.. left some things unknown..

This book is definitely for adults.. with sexual situations..
Jay Rothermel
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
An ambitious and poorly focused novel. Clearly an attempt to regain lost ground.
Ian Hughes
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gave up just over half way through. A pile of tosh.
Courtney Chambers
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Didn't like this book at all. Terribly written.
Gavgav Doc
Feb 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is my first review, mainly due to the fact that I am bored and just finished this book today.

The plot was reminiscent of a made-for-tv movie on the sci-fi channel, but if there is a movie adaptation of this, I am thankful I have not seen it, even though it maybe would have provided some semblance of imagery on my part. As it stands, his descriptions were more grotesque than scary, and throughout every suspenseful moment of the book, I felt the imagery used was tired and cliche. I literally
Pickleman
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've read quite a few Strieber books in my day and have become a big fan. Warday, Wolfen, Nature's End, The Grays, for example, are all classics, and all pretty well written. This one however, seems really like a general lack of effort on the authors part. It reads like a first year college literature student's final exam paper or something. No continuity or flow in the sentence structure. Assumptions that the reader can fill in the blanks of a storyline that even at the end leaves you wondering ...more
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Even if you don't like Whitley Strieber for his claims regarding alien abduction, one cannot deny that he is an incredible writer. From the opening sentence, he pulled me right in. The Forbidden Zone is one of those rare books where you truly feel that the evil is so overwhelming, there is no possible hope for the protagonist to survive. I love having that feeling.

And while some of Mr. Strieber's descriptions are confusing at times, he manages to stay on course through this highly original land
Nikki
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Certain parts of this novel are utterly captivating and deserve a rating of 5. I enjoyed the nod toward Lovecraft. The descriptions are very unnerving and well-done. Certain parts, however, are glossed over and in need of deeper explanation. Also, though I enjoyed all of the action (the pass of the book was incredibly fast nearing the center of the book), at times it left the reader behind and slightly confused.

I did find some of the dialogue to be a little unbelievable. The end was just a littl
Cyberpope
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
A slightly lateral move from Strieber's usual obsessive fascination with
UFOs. The forbidden zone is a horrific breakthrough of something terribly
alie n yet with a very non-comforting familiarity.

The overall plot is good, pulling you along from one dramatic
confrontation to the next.

The violent horror is described in a way reminiscent of my ten year old
self's first attempt at a novel. It would convey better in cinema than
literary form. Ranks in the lower third of Striber's novels
Michael Vischi
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel back when I was in high school. It was the first novel of my life that had me literally sitting on the edge of my seat, staying up late, having crazy dreams, talking about it & theorizing about it... with my mother, lol. An amazing read that I would highly recommend to anyone, especially those of us who enjoy a good psychological thriller. The Forbidden Zone will get in your head, and stay there for some time. Well done Mr. Strieber... well done! ...more
Emmy Jackson
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I will admit that I am reading this in spite of the fact that Streiber has been hit or miss with me, and in spite of the REALLY TERRIBLE COVER COPY. Seriously, tell me what the story's about, not how awesome the author is. That doesn't bode well.

But I'm reading the damn thing anyway, so there's that.
John
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is Strieber's attempt to make a book length version of a Lovecraftian story, something that people often say can't be done. It captures the atmosphere very, very, well, and is about very strange beings from another dimension trying to infiltrate our universe.
Jeremy Vaeni
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm going to read this one again. I read it when it first came out and I remember the beginning terrifying me, but by the end I had no idea what went on. But then, I was young and a fool. I'll bet it's coherent and I just didn't get it, so it'll be like discovering a brilliant Strieber gem!
Alisa
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi/ thriller lovers
Recommended to Alisa by: my Highschool Librarian
I read this back in 95 as a book for a book report in my English Class. I loved then and I love it now.. good read
Cindy
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-horror
Scary, Creepy, Gross Fun!
Malinda Threadgill
This story was predictable and very boring in some parts. I still got through it, but wished I hadn't wasted my time!

Amanda Lyons
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Some big iffy things to this. I won't lie, it wasn't as satisfying as I remembered, but in the end it's still got some solid elements and an ending that rings true despite some of the weaker bits.
Thom Dunn
Better than average Strieber. He begins with what looks like a straightforward horror novel, then bends the narrative toward SF.
krin
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror
This was a suspenseful book with horror and surprises from unexpected directions. Just as I thought the characters would be ok, a new horror appeared and made things worse.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't remember much about this book. Read it in 1998.
Matthew Stolte
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the 1/2 better than the rest but enjoyed.
cate grig
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the most awful books I have ever read! I am almost ashamed to say that I read it. Awful, boring, predictable, without any literary quality! Don't waste your time, please!
Aura
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A strange mix of good ideas and very annoying characters. Plot holes a plenty but not too bad overall.

• Fractured Tide
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Right Hand of Evil
  • The Homing
  • The Night Stalker (Detective Erika Foster, #2)
  • Forgive Me
American writer best known for his novels The Wolfen,The Hunger and Warday and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t