Start by marking “Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis: Die Antarktisexpedition 1914 - 1917” as Want to Read:
Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis: Die Antarktisexpedition 1914 - 1917

Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis: Die Antarktisexpedition 1914 - 1917

»Die letzte große Reise auf Erden« nannte Sir Ernest Shackleton seine Expedition. Das Abenteuer wurde jedoch zu einem Alptraum. Im Sommer 1914 brach der große Polarforscher mit dem Ziel auf, die Antarktis zu durchqueren. Doch schon bald wurde sein Schiff ENDURANCE vom ewigen Eis zermalmt. Monatelang trieb Shackleton zusammen mit seiner Besatzung durch die Eiswüste und rett ...more
Published 2000 by Ullstein (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis

Start your review of Mit der Endurance ins ewige Eis: Die Antarktisexpedition 1914 - 1917
leslie hamod
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a most first hand account of Shackleton and his last bid to cross the Antarctic. He had traveled in the ship he named the Endurance with 27 other men. Unfortunately, the ice froze him in.
With the explosive sounds and many leaks, the men knew the craft was doomed. Shackleton kept their minds and bodies in shape by keeping them busy unloading the vessel.
The book is made up of real entries into both the ship's log and individual journal entries. Before the boat sank, some photos were
Edward

Appendix II:
The Expedition Huts at McMurdo Sound

Index
notgettingenough
I doubt there could be a more real life example of the ‘What would you take to a desert island?’ than Shackleton’s trip to the Antarctic. There is an exhibition of the photographs of that trip on at the RGS in London at the moment. One of the photos shows a wall of books, his floating library. The RGS has been able to digitally enhance it, so that we now know exactly what Shackleton took on this unhappy expedition.

Can you judge a book by its cover?

Magazine correctly judged by cover (from The Onion) photo Onion_zpsctyjeti4.jpg
Magazine correctly judged by cover (from The Onion)

The fact is that one often can. And taking that notion a little further, surely we can judge a man by the covers of his books. That’s something, with the advent of electronic book reading, that we will never be able to do again. It is so easy and cheap to download that one can never make assumptions about the relationship of the book to the machine owner. Here, however, of course we are entitled to draw conclusions. The man bothered to take the books to Antarctica. The books mean something.

I’ve arranged the list in order into:

literature
linguistic and general reference
exploration

Between the general reference section and the exploration books I’ve squeezed in two non-fiction books, one by the socialist JB Askew and one by Alfred Dreyfuss.

As for literature, it is interesting to note that it is relatively light on our notion of classics. Most of them are the best sellers or maybe, to convert to our idiom, the Goodreads trending books of his time. There are quite a few murder mysteries or similar.

I’m guessing that those reading this have never heard of:

Gertrude Atherton
William J Locke
Rex Beach
Robert Hugh Benson
H De Vere Stacpoole

Yet Atherton was compared with Wharton, Rives was the EL James of her day, and William J Locke made the best selling US novels list in five different years. His stories were made into films 24 times, including Ladies in Lavender starring Dench and Maggie Smith in 2004 and four of his books made Broadway as plays. In fact, although not one of my 500+ goodreads friends has reviewed any of these authors, Locke is still well read and loved, judging by the reviews. I confess I did not know his name.

Potash and Perlmutter, the comic rag trade merchants of Monatague Glass, were all the rage amongst New York Jews. Stacpoole is the author of The Blue Lagoon of the film fame (some would say infamy) and Flowerdew used his novels to proselytise on the rights of women:

rest here:

Christopher
First it was cold. And then it got really cold. And we're hungry. And it' cold and we're hungry. And phewy, it's really freaking cold. We don't have a whole lot to eat, either. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Ice. Seals. Cold. Es muy frio. Teeth chattering. Chewing on blubber. Blubber fires. Shivering. Need more food. Did I mention it's cold? Seriously, I'm really cold. Frostbite. Shoulda worn another sweater. Shoulda brought an extra pair of gloves. Shoulda brought some extra cans of Pringles. I could really go ...more
Carmen
This is an astonishing story of courage, determination, leadership and survival. It's amazing such a story as this is true, but the book gets quite boring in parts.
Mark Mortensen
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, memoir, science
Prior to reading Sir Ernest Shakelton’s harrowing voyage aboard the Endurance I knew few facts other than he obviously survived to pen his memoir.

The expedition to be the first to cross the Antarctic continent from sea to sea over roughly 1,800 miles by way of the South Pole. Planning for the mission began in 1913 and when World War I erupted the scientific voyage was not canceled. It’s historic that on August 4, 1914 King George V kept his appointment to meet with Shakelton and give him the
Annie Smidt
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Despite sitting here in October whining to myself about my cold fingers while typing, I have to admit I've got kind of a thing for grueling polar expeditions and the occasional 19th century disastrous sea voyage. I especially have a thing for Mr. Shackleton, the great heroic failure of the Edwardian era. (Not my words, but I don't recall who said them — someone on NPR, I expect).

This book is the detailed accounts of Shackleton's last Antarctic journey. He takes a crew on the Enduranc
Dagny
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely interesting and riveting in places even knowing how it all turned out.

Available at:
Yorkshiresoul
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back when men were men. At the outbreak of WWI Shackleton had outfitted two ships and crews to try a continental crossing of the Antarctic. He offered to halt the expedition but was ordered to continue by Winston Churchill. Famously, the crossing never took place. What did happen was an increasingly desperate fight to survive by the two ship's crews on opposite sides of the polar continent.

The book is largely made up of extracts from Shackleton's own diary and the diaries of some of
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read Endurance last month, I so appreciated Mallory's recommendation to follow up with Shackleton's own account! I'm glad I read them in this order, as the former read more as a novel, giving a better description of the cast of characters and was organized in a more dramatic fashion. Shackleton, on the other hand, preferred to give away the ending! This first hand account was absolutely enchanting. His descriptions of the phenomena and experiences in the Antarctic were vivid, and the pers ...more
Andrew Ziegler
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a really hard time getting into the "floe" of this book. See what I did there? No, seriously, Shackleton's writing is very clinical and matter of fact. Recording every day, watching the ice, food stores, lat and long, temperature...etc...for what seems like an eternity. With no drama or embellishment, which as an avid reader, I love. However, this book at its start was dry. That is the truth. You know what else is the truth? This story. All of it. 100% fact. You can know that going in, and ...more
Alex
I read this casually, a little at a time. It's one of the great adventure stories of all time, and smashing stuff (get it?) but...here's how it works: it's based on the journals of Shackleton and everyone else in his party - he gives others lots of time too - and the entries can be a little repetitious. Like, y'know, "Still stuck on an iceberg. Cold and hungry."

Shackleton's a surprisingly good writer, though. Clear, engaging and often funny. That livens up the doldrum periods - but also, the ef
Quirkyreader
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about Polar explores and this book just blew me away. This book was Ernest Shackelton’s journal of the Endurance Expidition and his participation of trying to save the crew of another boat called the Aurora.

Some of the stand out members of the expedition were Named Wild and Creen.

This was one of those books that I wanted to finish in one sitting. But work got in the way.

I could keep going on about how great this book is, but you must experience it for yourself.
Stacy Lorence
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all." -Ernest Shackleton
Paul
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Quite simply awesome. And I don't use the word lightly, considering it is very much an overused word. Ernest Shackleton was a hero not only because of what he endured, but because of how he led. As opposed to Robert Scott who made a series of errors (as well as experiencing some genuine bad luck with inclement weather) culminating in disaster in 1912, Shackleton's primary concern above all aspects of his mission were the men under his command. In 1908 - on his earlier 'farthest south' expedition ...more
Pete daPixie
Most certainly, as exploration adventure survival stories go, Shackleton's 'South' has to be in the premier league. My copy in the Penquin Classics series, (which contains those excellent black and white photographs of Frank Hurley's), originally published from Shackleton's memoirs/logs from the Endurance expedition in 1919.
If ever a ship was more aptly named! Of course, this epic tale has been re-told in other books and on film. Sir Ernest Shackleton's 1914 expedition was to be a Trans-An
Beth A.
This book was very slow paced and detailed, and took me a long time to read, especially the first third. The story was amazing, but I can’t decide if they were amazingly brave and perseverant, or just a bit stupid. Not their survival, but putting themselves at such risk in the first place. When they ended up stranded, no one seemed remotely surprised.

The person who recommended this book to me mentioned looking at leadership traits, so I was thinking about that as I read this book.

Te
Marley
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're familiar with Shackleton's story, you likely want to read this just for the sake of completion. Just know that it's not going to be the page-turner you would have hoped for. For anyone unfamiliar with Shackleton's story and curious to learn more, I'd recommend you start with another source.

The subject matter is fascinating yet Shackleton's writing lacks emotion. He was obviously writing this for his contemporaries to prove that his expedition had not been a complete failure
Alice
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this one while you're hating how freaking cold out it is!! It's been a while since I read this, but if I remember correctly, it's all taken from the journals of the men on the expedition. There's a lot of stuff about lattitude and longitude, and 5000 different ways to describe cold and snow and ice! You may find that you want to skim over some of the more "scientific" stuff and just get to the good parts! You know: the frostbite, and the starvation, and the penguin poo! This book will make ...more
Mel
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I had a bad attack of snow-blindness and had to use cocaine. Hayward also had a bad time. I was laid up and had to keep my eyes bandaged for three days." They don't make adventurers like this anymore. It was epic stuff all the way. Shackleton, if anything, played down how hard it was. As someone who has tried to sleep in a soaking wet sleeping bag, I am awestruck how they survived that in Antartic conditions. A great read.

Ross Borkett
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible story!! The ability to survive in such an environment is quite incredible, esp considering this was over 100 years ago now. Written by Shackleton himself you can tell he is an explorer (this won’t win any writing awards) but is fairly accessible and easy to follow. And there are parts that are so incredible you just want to get to the end of the chapter. And it’s free on kindle.
David Greene
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For knowledge and erudition, give me Scott. For expeditionary and exploration prowess, take Peary. But if disaster strikes, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton!"
Andrew Armson-Smith
A fascinating read. A great level of detailed has been paid, painting a picture of every step of this expedition and the dire turn it took right from the start. A true telling of a dedicated team of comrades fighting for survival in a frozen wasteland, hidden moments of wonder and demonstrating the sacrfice and adaptability humans are capable of.
Bryan Falk
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read about Shackleton's attempt to cross the Antarctic by land. Surprisingly humorous at points, an excellent good read about human endurance in the face of overwhelming adversity.
Jayme Cochrane
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really got sucked into this book. It's (barely) adapted from Shackleton's journal, so much of it is the day-to-day tedium of just walking, cooking, and trying to survive. I was captivated, it's some of the best descriptions of the limits of human endurance I've ever read.
Jason Riou
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing tale of survival against impossible odds. If any one thing had gone differently over eighteen months, all would have died. Shackleton knew when to be bold and when to play it safe.

The boldest: sailing from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island. In a 22.5 foot lifeboat. That's some serious ocean. Go search the Roaring 40s on YouTube. 40 degrees South Latitude where there's no land anywhere to slow the wind. Experienced sailors only. That's child's play compared to the Furious 50s. W
Shaun
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Ernest Shackleton's personal account of his adventure to Antarctica. He descirbes in great detail the grandeur of the adventure, the highs and lows. I especially liked how he describes their final stretch to cross the island of South Georgia and reach civliliation with little food and no water. He said the three of them the presence of a fourth person who helped them on their final leg. It's hard to know if this was an angel or what, but he feels strongly they were protected and aided by ...more
Jeff
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"South" by Sir Ernest Shackleton,1919. Shackleton's first hand account is one of the most well known survival narratives of the 20th century. Shackleton's writing is mostly cool and factual, more like that of a sea captain's ship log, rather than that of a personal diary. The more intriguing passages are the entrees that hint of uncertainty. As he and his crew begin to feel the pangs of scurvy, Shackleton shrinks from shooting an over flying albatross. Fearing the guilt that would be felt by his ...more
Joe Stamber
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper, read-2011
When I became the proud owner of a Kindle, I was reading a paperback novel (Mudbound). Not wanting to start another novel, I decided to read a bit of "South!" (downloaded free from Amazon) while I finished the paperback. However, this is one book that once started is difficult to put down. The lives of Shackleton and his party have a routine monotony that is a stark contrast to their constant struggle for survival during their journey. Shackleton writes almost matter-of-factly about the incredib ...more
Michael
I read this book a long time ago and when I started my profile on Goodreads I some how forgot this book. It was a extraordinary book. It was the first book I read about Arctic exploration and because of this book I have read a few more on the subject. So this book opened the door to a new subject for me... And I have to say, every book I have read on Arctic exploration has been amazing. THESE guys were as tough and brave as they come!!! The usual problems of exploration weren't enough... Scurvy, ...more
2018 Beyond the C...: South The Endurance Expedition 1 1 Jun 06, 2018 03:46PM
South The Endurance Expedition 1 2 Jun 06, 2018 03:44PM
Homeward Bound Bo...: January book: South! 2 7 Feb 04, 2018 04:58PM
Vietnam Visa Photo Requirements 1 1 Feb 03, 2018 01:03AM
KHÁM PHÁ DU LỊCH ĐÀ NẴNG THEO SỞ THÍCH HẤP DẪN NHẤT 1 6 Jun 08, 2017 09:59PM

• The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition
  • The Worst Journey in the World
  • The Last Place on Earth: Scott and Amundsen's Race to the South Pole (Exploration)
  • The Lost Men: The Harrowing Saga of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party
  • Endurance
  • An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
  • South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12
  • Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
  • Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842
  • South with Endurance: Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition 1914-1917
  • Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival
  • In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic
  • Farthest North
  • Race to the Pole: Tragedy, Heroism, and Scott's Antarctic Quest
Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton, CVO, OBE was an Anglo-Irish merchant naval officer who made his reputation as an explorer during what is known as the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration, a period of discovery characterised by journeys of geographical and scientific exploration in a largely unknown continent, without any of the benefits of modern travel methods or radio communication.
“Loneliness is the penalty of leadership, but the man who has to make the decisions is assisted greatly if he feels that there is no uncertainty in the minds of those who follow him, and that his orders will be carried out confidently and in expectation of success.” 14 likes
“When I look back at those days I have no doubt that Providence guided us, not only across those snowfields, but across the storm-white sea that separated Elephant Island from our landing-place on South Georgia. I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterwards Worsley said to me, ‘Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us.’ Crean confessed to the same idea. One feels ‘the dearth of human words, the roughness of mortal speech’ in trying to describe things intangible, but a record of our journeys would be incomplete without a reference to a subject very near to our hearts.” 7 likes