Start by marking “The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends” as Want to Read:
The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends

The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends

Diana Mosley is the last intimate friend of the Duchess of Windsor still alive. In this revised and updated biography, she addresses the latest allegations of secret service reports about the Windsors' conduct during the war and the abdication. A new chapter has been added.
Unknown Binding
Published September 9th 2003 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends

Bryn (Plus Others)
I read this due to a combination of low motives; I read a great deal about Edward & Wallis back in 2002, and found it interesting how various biographers split on whether their relationship was The Romance of the Century or actually a very entitled powerful person throwing tantrums until he got what he wanted. Which is harsh, yes, I know, but there is a reasonable amount of evidence that Wallis really did not want to marry him but ended up backed into a corner due to male tears. My previous ...more
Victoria
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This can only be described as very average. I don't know a great deal about this part of English history but I do believe this to be a very sympathetic portrayal of Wallis Simpson and her love, Edward VIII.

The author, a personal friend of the Duchess, was always going to gloss over any flaws in this story. She uses Wallis' own memoirs to tell the story of her life, marriages and end.

WWII is mentioned, very briefly really, brushed under the carpet perhaps?

I must try to find a more balanced bio
Pink
Nov 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is not good. Diana Mitford might be interesting to read about, but I'm not keen on her writing here. This is an annoyingly gushing account of a friend, so hardly an impartial look at Wallis Simpson's life. Confusingly written, with huge gaps and other irrelevant information. Also, I thought the many photographs would add something to the book, but they were used so often that it really disrupted the flow of what I was reading. Not recommended.
Rachel
Kindle ebook is littered with typos and formatting issues. Its terrible.

Was an interesting read, I found out more about Wallis family and background. The first part was well written and interesting. However the last section was gushing and far more thrown together. There were too many repeats of dull details about the household.

The main issue is the terrible proof reading in the ebook
Miriam Hughes
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, sympathetically told

An interesting, absorbing read written by someone who knew the Windsors well. It is refreshing to hear the Duchess of Windsor being talked about so positively and the explanations of the personalities of the Duke and Duchess jive with some of the more modern viewpoints of their relationship
Karen
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Surprised how badly written this was.
Biased in the extreme as well.
Zebrahurtin
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Dreadful.
C.S. Burrough
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Writing came naturally to Diana Mitford Mosley, whose formidable intellect and extraordinary life resulted in a reams of published volumes: book reviews, memoirs, essays, diaries - even her letters to various friends and relatives had such readability and were of such historical value they were published in volume after volume.

This biography of the Duchess of Windsor, like the author's other works, makes no claim of impartiality - she wrote what she thought, through the filters of her own direc
Annalisa
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
As one reviewer put it, this book was "Irresistible. One Controversial expat on another". And on a simpler level, it's one friend sticking up for another, trying to set the record straight about a person who was misjudged. From either perspectives I found myself taking it with a grain of salt, but it was nevertheless an engaging read, offering a peep into the private life and love of two very public people, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. It was quite fascinating to hear Diana Mosley's analysis ...more
Amy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am always up to reading anything written about the Duchess of Windsor, always hoping for a new angle. While I appreciated that this was written by a friend, and kindly biased towards the duchess, disappointingly, there was nothing new to learn. In fact, it was rather hollow in that had I not read other sources, I wouldn't have felt I understood the Duchess of Windsor at all.
⛈emily
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
mergh. This person is not an author. This person did not have an editor. This person did zero research. This person gave a new perspective - but a terribly written perspective. thanks but no thanks.
E.S. Ivy
This is written by a friend of the Duchess of Windsor and so it's understandably biased. So if you just want to read one book, this wouldn't be the one. But, if you are looking for more insight into thoughts and motivations, this book does add to the story.

It gives insight into why Wallis Simpson was so afraid of flying. Her first husband (a disastrous marriage) was an early airplane pilot and the ‘crash gong’ often sounded on the base. When that happened, use of the telephone was limited so tha
Shannon Vincent Nelson
This biography, written by Diana Mosley, a personal friends of the Duchess of Windsor, seemed much more of a PR piece to present a good image rather than a well-researched biography. I'm not claiming the Duchess of Windsor had any skeletons in the closet, but Mosley glosses over any negative aspects of the Duchess (as stated by acquaintances) and provides mere paragraphs to describe the more controversial aspects of her life.

There isn't much new and revealing and hardly any personal quotes from
Verity W
Jan 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting this book to be partisan, but it was much, much more biased than I had expected. I knew that the author had been a part of the the Duchess social circle and so was expecting the book to be more of a memoir, but it was definitely dressed up as a "proper" biography. Although I'd like to think that it wouldn't fool anyone as the author's own opinions and biases shine through, there is a chance that it might. Worth reading if only as a lesson to retain your critical faculties when yo ...more
Jill Campbell
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wallis Simpson

I enjoyed reading a biography written by an actual friend of the subject. I feel the content was accurate. The style was neither gossipy or sensationalistic but was an honest rendering.
Lhell
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Absolutely terrible, I should have known since it was written by one of her fellow nazi supporter friends.
Joseph M Fuoco
Jan 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A major disappointment

Boring. No interesting information at all. A total whitewash. A waste of my time and money. There are other better books on this subject.
Vanessa
Feb 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very well written at all. Slow and quite a few mistakes. Wouldn't recommend at all. Esp as there are some excellent books available about the duke and duchess.
Miriam
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Very very uncritical and rather sycophantic, but enough interesting I'd like to read more from another point of view. Got it cheap on a Kindle deal of the day and don't regret it.
Carolyn Booker
Interesting

A different view with new information. Quite interesting and informative on new information.
I think you will enjoy this book.
Liz Wager
Not as well written as I was expecting ...
Victoria Shepherd
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Obviously biased toward the Duchess, but I appreciated the photos.
Kathie Fry
  • My Turn To Make The Tea
  • King Edward VIII
  • Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On
  • The Life of Mary, Queen of Scots: An Accidental Tragedy
  • 30 Days to a Clean and Organized House: A complete guide to transform your home on your schedule, and a monthly plan to KEEP it clean!