Start by marking “How To Master The Art Of Selling” as Want to Read:
How To Master The Art Of Selling

How To Master The Art Of Selling

Tom Hopkins earned himself over one million dollars in his first three years as a salesman. Here, in his first book, he sets down the key secrets of his success. His methods emphasize the need to escape from a fear of failure. His techniques have all been tried and tested on the firing line of sales work and are positive and practical. His book reveals how selling can ...more
Unknown Binding
Published September 12th 1994 by Not Avail (first published February 1st 1981)

Start your review of How To Master The Art Of Selling
Will Thomas
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daily-reading
The third of four books on my Read Daily shelf. This is one of the greatest self-help books ever. You master sales by mastering yourself! Sometimes reading this I find myself thinking, "Why would any Christian want to do anything else but sales?" What is sales? At its best, sales if figuring out what the person you're talking to needs, and how to get it to them! If nobody is selling anything to anybody, nobody anywhere is making any money! Next to actually producing the goods sold, it is the ...more
Tom Behr)
Nov 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Hopkins' premise: The implicit, and often explicit premise of his books (and most other sales books) is “here’s how to motivate yourself to persist in a highly frustrating, difficult, often demeaning and discouraging profession.” What he doesn't get: If tyou start working with your customer to achieve mutual goals, then selling stops being all the things that salespeople hate about it - so you don't need to be "motivated."
Mani
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Clear layout of the sales process as a series of measurable and implementable concepts.

He covers everything from timing, to attitude, to language patterns, to dealing with "no" and rejection.

My favorite part of the book is the increasing awareness that he does all of the things that he suggests adopting as habits to increase effectiveness of persuasion and communication of ideas in the book.

They don't feel unnatural as he does them. This takes some of the ick factor out of using
Shaun
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, wouldn't you agree?
Ian
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to imagine not making a living without having read this book. The trick is to be selective about which bits you take on board and also to cut through the cheese. At the heart of this book is a philosophy that sales is not a matter of luck. It's about planning, preparation and a lot of hard work. It's also about building the defences that let you handle the ups and downs of a job that relies on outside factors outside of your control for it's success.

There are lots of moments in this
Mike Wenzel
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little bit dated but excellent skills for selling, organization and planning.
Chuck
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The best book written on the art of "selling". And this in an ethical and non-manipulative manner.
Adam
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read lot's of useful script and highly motivational. Tom has a can do spirit that shines through!

Nuggets of Truth:
When someone asks how your day is say unbelievable
You never missed a days work but what do you want to do with your life?
Success comes at a different pace for people
Be in the word business your only as good as the words you know how to say
Most folks are either in a crisis going into one or coming out of one most of the time and that's just life. So we want to keep ourselves
Greg
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom can sound a bit cheesy at times, but this book is chockablock with cool tactics and excellent messages to get you psyched up about selling. His lessons go beyond selling, though, and throughout the book there is an earnest life-philosophy which may be the most memorable aspect of this book. He has little time for people that find ways to defeat their own motivation with excuses, or look any place but their own attitudes and skills to find the reasons that they're failing. He brings you along ...more
Joe
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about Tom Hopkins over 25 years ago when I was 8 years old. Both my parents read but I just keep seeing this book again and again all over the house. For several years my dad was among the top any some years the very top new Ford Salesman of the year so I can only assume that this book played at least some small role in that achievement. What I am sure also played a role is the type of person who reads a book to become better at their job and earn more is surely more likely to ...more
Jimmy Corvan
Very very meh.

How to Master the Art of Selling’s greatest strength lies in the fact that it seems to take a very logical and realistic look at actions that successful salesman might or should take in their pursuit of success. However, I believe it falls short of its claim (that is, truly mastering the art of selling) as it outlines what, I assume, most salesmen already do. That is, Hopkins, emphasizes personal visits, regular follow up, thank you notes, etc. all of which, I’m convinced, the
Laurent
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars - wow. had a deep impact on me.

After How to Win Friends, and Mate, this is a book I will read every year. It presents everything that makes the sales process : questioning techniques, prospecting, referrals, presentations, closings. What makes the book in my yearly reads list is that Tom Hopkins underlines the importance of sales ethics : don't be pushy, don't try to sell to people who do not want your product. Instead, ask questions, identify their situation and, with that knowledge,
Nathan Boler
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is dated but still highly effective. I learned a lot about the art of selling and speech patterns.

Minor yes is very important.
Get as many as you can.
"Wow that's really fun isn't it?"
"Isn't it really fun?"
Get positive confirmation before you stick your neck out though. Don't force words into their mouths if you haven't gotten the initial signal.
Keep them comfortable.
Figure out their objections.
Porcupine technique: answer their question with a question.
Does it come in green? Would
Trinity Wurm
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'll be honest, it wasn't as attention-grabbing as a novel but, I also wasn't reading this because I absolutely wanted to. In my Personal Selling class in college here, I am required to do a book report on a sales or self-betterment book and this was the one I chose. However, I did find many things about it quite useful and as I was picking up on the different techniques this book gives, I put them into practice at the financial institution I work at selling financial products. Let me tell you, ...more
Andrew
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Experts say this is the best book ever written in its field. I haven't read them all, of course, but would say this is a gold mine of information. I have bought at least 20 copies for friends and for my staff when I ran a high-tech trade association. The practical tips and lively presentation can be especially helpful for those who do not believe they are in traditional "sales" and yet are trying to persuade somebody of something, even if only an idea. Additionally, Hopkins makes a compelling ...more
Andrew B
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after recently getting a job offer in sales. Just starting out in the industry, I found this book very helpful, basic, and organized. I feel like it made for the perfect introductory read at the start of my career.

All that being said, I did read an older version of it, however the skills and strategies mentioned in the book are basic and timeless and were not lost in translation. I think this book is worth a re-read for sure, but this time I will look into the most recent
Richard Gowan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first real Sales Manager gave me a copy of this book, and it formed the basis of my education in the sales process. Granted, a lot of the advice in the book seems self-evident, but like any other topic, reinforcement goes a long way towards incorporation. I pick this book up occasionally and re-read chapters in order to make sure I am not straying from the path. This book has helped me immensely, along with The Sandler Rules and The Accidental Salesperson, to see how this career doesn't have ...more
Sean Fishlock
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales-marketing
Great, though long, motivational piece. Some really nice ideas about moving people.

The single biggest take away from this book is the ability to turn almost anything into a closing question ... isn't it?

How do you feel about sales?

What do you mean?

So you're saying that you feel like you're not achieving your goals? That it is hard to stay motivated?

This is a great place to start. It will help you to stay positive, to plan and reach your goals, which is what you're looking for isn't it?

Start
David Skinner
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a foundational sales book with numerous tactical tips and tricks to increase sales effectiveness:

"If something needs to be done at some point in the future, do it right now. If something does not need to be done in the future, throw it away right now."

"If you do what you fear, you conquer fear."

"Champions reahearse, rehearse, rehearse. Write down your most commonly heard objections and drill the answers until you can respond appropriately cold."

The 16 closes are incredible and worth
Katgoyette Goyette
This is by far the most practical sales book I have read, and has helped my career immensely.

However, I simply will not give 5 stars to any how-to book. Perhaps this is snobbish of me, but being that I spent my college years to acheive a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, I feel I would be selling out if I were to award 5 stars to any other than works worthy of literary study.
Bob
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful but unsubtle book. An old friend of mine who was a marketing consultant and talented salesperson thought this book was hokey. Its great virtue is that it really starts at the beginning and is full of details. It's a rabbit stew cookbook that begins, as one should, by telling you how to catch a rabbit.
Hannah
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have to sell in any capacity this book is a must-read. He covers everything from mindset, technique, referrals, closes and much more. You get examples of everything so you can adapt them to your product or service. It's not the pushy selling either it is just confident selling, knowing everything you can and being able to bring the value of your offer to every client.
Mary Z : )
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Excellent book. I am not a salesperson by nature, but we can all use some help learning negotiating skills. Full of solid, practical advice - I even took notes! The only downside is the edition I borrowed from the library was from the 1980s. Technology has evolved just a bit since then, so no need for the tape recorder! I'd consider buying a more updated edition for future reference.
Nishant Sah
This is one of those books that you want to read again and again especially if you are looking to do sales.
Like every other professional sales can also be learned. If you are new to sales or just starting go through this. This will change the way you look at sales.
Marianne Mullen
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, business
This was a GREAT book in every way. I love the practical information as well as part of being a well rounded salesperson. I have underlined and highlighted so much. I will reread this book over and over!
Agnes Bradbury
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely phenomenal and timeless piece. Tom Hopkins is the master salesman. I would recommend this book to everyone who wants to improve their sales and even social skills. Overall sales is all about being able to interact with people and connection!
Shane Gregoire
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to Sell Or Be Sold by Grant Cardone, this book is another essential guide for selling. One may be wondering why read this when you already have Cardone’s book, but the combination of the two created a deadly weapon. Convert anyone into a buyer in seconds!
Sara
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I had a sales job and my dad bought me this book. I wasn't so much interested in making sales as I loved the product in the store. I read the book because it was a gift and was surprised how much it positively influenced me. A great book.
James
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good motivational book with helpful insights. I would read this at work sometimes on my breaks and would find myself wanting to try his methods right away. I thought his suggestions were very practical. He also described a lot of work situations that I could really relate to which was useful.
Christopher Cahill
One of the best books I've ever read. Hopkins is hilarious at times but never fails to show you his passion for what he does. This book will definitely get you excited and motivated to pursue not just sales, but nearly anything.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • The Strangest Secret
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • Your Erroneous Zones
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Economia, Moral e Política
  • Jerusalém (O Reino, #3)
“How many no’s am I willing to accept on my way to success?” 3 likes
“On a piece of paper, write down the formula for our human reaction: S-P-R This stands for Stimulus—Pause—Response.” 1 likes