Start by marking “River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)” as Want to Read:
River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)

River Quest

(Dinotopia #2)

Waterfall City is in grave danger when the Polongo River mysteriously dries up.  Magnolia and her dinosaur friend Paddlefoot, along with Birch and a triceratops called Rogo, battle the elements in their desperate quest to save Dinotopia's most beautiful city.
Published May 2nd 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about River Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Quest

S.
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it wasn't as amazingly good as I remembered, I enjoyed re-reading "River Quest" and venturing into the hidden land of Dinotopia again.

Honestly, this is such an entertaining book. I can remember being a kid and thinking that falling asleep against a boy's shoulder while huddling under a boat sounded like the most romantic thing ever, lol.
Connie
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as the first, but I did. There is none of the perceived perfectionism that many seem to see in the first one. These are just regular people trying their best in a rather unique society. This works very well as a coming of age story for the main character—a young lady who has lived in Dinotopia her whole life. The situation is pretty plausible. The only really far-fetched thing about these books so far has been the idea of talking dinosaurs.

I love the
Timothy Pitkin
A nice simple adventure in Dinotopia. I do like that each of the Dinotopia books takes a different look at the island and that while we do not get consistent characters but instead we get look at a different group and their adventures.
Nicole Haan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved these as a child. Beautifully imagined world, swashbuckling adventure. Multiple authors for refreshing different writing styles.
Barb
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good kids chapter book. I think to understand more of what went on, you definitely should read the first in Dinotopia series, River Quest was the second
Travis
Jul 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books
David
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
River Quest is a book that expands the world of Dinotopia created by James Gurney. Two characters from James Gurney's first Dinotopia book, Magnolia and Paddlefoot the Lambeosaurus, have just been made the new Habitat Partners of Freshwater and they've been landed with a crisis: The Polongo River has dried up and unless the water returns one of Dinotopia's famous cities, Waterfall City, will be abandoned. The two must journey to find out what has happened before time runs out.
I have always loved
McKenzie Richardson
This is a very fun adventure tale.
I love Magnolia's character. She is strong and capable, but still vulnerable and unsure of herself and her new position at times. She is a very realistic character and I loved watching her strength grow throughout the book.
I enjoyed this story. A fun read for dinosaur fans young and old.
Alisa
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite of the Dinotopia paperback series. I admit many weren't that well written, and rather predictable, but I just loved the idea of the habitat partners and out of all of them pictured in the first book, Magnolia was my favorite (probably be cause she was a girl and lambeosaurus' are awesome). So finally getting to read her story, I was elated.
Samantha
This was one of my absolute favorite book when I was a child, and my mother read it to me about 15 times. It was also one of my favorite books to read myself, later in school when I could. It's exciting and the author has a way with words.
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This fantasy, adventure is quick read. Good for age 7 up. Those who like dinosaurs go for this. The fantasy land Dinotopia. This book deals with the saving of river Polongo river.
Molly
Feb 15, 2009 added it
A wonderful, fantastic series. The authors do a good job to keep their writing and voice congruous throughout the various books.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
I read through this series of books on dinotopia as an interest in a lesson plan extension for higher elementary school grades, this was expanding the thematic unit i created for kindergarten...
Beka
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fun story that explains some of the inner workings of dinotopia.
Genelle
I enjoy reading this book and I watched a little bit of the series when it used to come on. I have also seen the movie and I try to watch it whenever it comes on
Claire
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I remember wanting a dino buddy like Paddlefoot so badly after reading this!
Merrow
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction, fantasy
This was my favorite from the paperback Dinotopia series. I was fascinated with the idea of 'Habitat Partners' in the original and love that a story was written about a pair!
Georgia
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was obsessed with this series in the fifth grade, ha. Sadly, even nostalgia couldn't make it as good as I'd remembered.
Daniel
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I remember I got this book from the star book club. I think I even wrote a book report on it, complete with drawing of Lambeosuarus
Meredith
Hazeltwilight
Oct 25, 2016
Hayley Williamson
Jun 25, 2018

• Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
  • The Hand of Dinotopia
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • Loch
  • Song of the Unicorns (Avalon: Web of Magic #7)
  • Mrs. Jeepers on Vampire Island (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids Super Special, #6)
  • Sharks And Other Sea Monsters
  • The New Dinosaurs
  • Armageddon (Battlestar Galactica, #1)
  • Runestone
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.

Dinotopia (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)