Start by marking “The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)

The Case Is Closed

(Miss Silver #2)

The evidence against Geoffrey Grey is convincing but his wife believes in his innocence. And so does her young cousin, Hilary, who decides to solve the mystery herself.

But when Hilary herself is nearly murdered she
Published November 1st 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Is Closed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Is Closed

Jaline - (on partial hiatus)
Marion and Geoffrey Grey had a wonderful marriage. Geoffrey was well established with his uncle’s Accounting firm, and Marion had been a part-time model until she became pregnant with their first child.

Then one evening Geoffrey is called to his uncle’s home and when he arrives his uncle is dead at his desk. A gun that Geoffrey had left in his uncle’s care when he got married is lying on the floor near the patio doors where he had entered. Geoffrey picks up the gun and hears a woman’s scream outs
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver #2), Patricia Wentworth
Miss Silver is a fictional detective featured in 32 novels by British novelist Patricia Wentworth. Patricia Wentworth (born Dora Amy Elles; 10 November 1877 – 28 January 1961) was a British crime fiction writer. The Case Is Closed, first published in 1937. The Everton murder case has long been closed. The culprit has been charged with the murder of his uncle and has served a year of his sentence already. Or has he? The evidence against Geoff
Richard Derus
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Rating: 3.5* of five

Sexist, silly, and slow.

Trust in me all in all, or trust me not at all, folks, this offers the modern reader mysteries few of the pleasures we presently expect. The pace is killed dead as a rock by the documents the author plops right in the beginning, and later the documentary urge is revived right at the end. It's deadly dull because it goes on too long. It works to get dreary information fed to you, the reader, but wowee toledo does it bog the pace down.

The author relies q
Jane
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Maud Hephzibah Silver made her first appearance in 1929, but readers who met her then had an eight year wait before they could meer her again, in 1937’s ‘The Case is Closed’.

The story is engaging from the start: Hilary has stepped on to a train, after an argument with her fiancé, Henry, and because she had wanted to make a dramatic exit she had got on to the wrong train. As she watched for the next stop an elderly woman approached her, eager to speak to her quickly, while her husband was ou
Mo
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars

The author relies a bit too much on coincidence, but I just don't give a hoot! This series feels easy and breezy and just plain fun!
Kavita
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Geoffrey Grey is in prison for murdering his uncle, but both his wife Marion and their cousin, Hilary, are convinced that he did not do it. The world, however, believes that the right man is in prison. When a strange woman accosts Hilary on a train, her suspicions are aroused. She starts poking her nose into the old case, and almost gets murdered for her troubles. She turns to her ex-fiancé, Henry, who in turn turns to Miss Silver.

Just like the first book, Miss Silver is a shadowy presence and o
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bettie, Dagny, Carey
Free download available at Faded Page.

Geoffrey Grey has been convicted of his uncle's murder but his wife and wife's cousin think he is innocent. Just before his murder Geoffrey's uncle, James changes his will to a nephew he has always disliked. Upon telling Geoffrey that he no longer his heir the older man is found dead in a locked room with the knife in Geoffrey's hand.

2* Beggar's Choice
2* A Marriage Under the Terror
TR The Fire Within
TR Devil's Wind

Miss Silver series:
3* Grey Mask (Miss Silver
Ellen
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Case is closed (Miss Silver, #2) by Patricia Wentworth.

Hilary Carew is actually the main character in this story and what a character she is! Hilary is beyond dramatic in an almost obnoxious way yet she's a darling of a girl. She was engaged to Henry who is quite the gentleman. That was until they had a spat and Hilary ran onto the wrong train. a train that would be taking her in exactly the opposite direction she intended to go.

Hilary, still pouting about their lovers' quarrel, is confront
Sharla
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s funny how two people can read the same book and come to such opposite conclusions. It’s almost like we didn’t read the same book. So one of my goodreads friends said this book is “sexist, silly and slow”. I guess there are sexist elements but that’s pretty common in books from that time period (it was published in 1937). Personally, I think it’s difficult to make that assertion since the detective is a strong female character, Miss Silver. I honestly didn’t find it silly although perhaps a ...more
Sue Dix
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this for a reading challenge. It is a good old fashioned murder mystery. Patricia Wentworth wrote many Miss Silver mysteries and I can't think of any more pleasant pursuit than reading through all of them. Although Miss Silver is the private investigator, in this book, the other characters play vital roles in uncovering the solution to the crime. It was a very exciting and satisfying story and I look forward to reading more Miss Silver mysteries.
Hannah
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
3.5 stars. An enjoyable classic British mystery; I've been thirsting for one with a tad more romance after The Mystery of the Blue Train and this did the job admirably.

I've always found that the romances in Christie's mystery novels tend to be intense and capture the imagination but leave very much unsaid - not a negative by any means, particularly since they are crime/mystery novels first and foremost, but once in a while I also enjoy a more straightforward romance as a side plot. I found that
Damaskcat
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books several years ago I somehow managed to miss this one out. I'm glad I have now come across it and read it. It is an interesting and well plotted mystery. Geoffrey Grey is in prison for murder on what seemed at the time to be incontrovertible proof of his guilt. But his wife, Marion and Hilary Carew, who lives with her are convinced he isn't guilty.

Hilary sets out on a quest to find out who is guilty or at least find evidence whic
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Hilary, Marion Grey's cousin is heartbroken over the conviction and what it is doing to her cousin. When on a train she is confronted with James's cook she
Bettie
May 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Description: This Miss Silver mystery focuses on the struggle for power in male-female relationships - on the light-hearted side, in the signature "nice young couple" (Hilary and Henry), while a villain displays dominance and abuse. We gain a picture of life among the well-bred if not well-fed as we follow Hilary's attempts to clear her cousin's husband Geoffrey, who has been convicted of the murder of his uncle. The attitudes and sensitivities of a different time are on display as Hilary's cous ...more
Rob Smith, Jr.
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
My first of the Miss Silver series and really didn't get to know Miss Silver much as all, as she arrives late in the story and is more of a guide to end the mystery than anything.

The story is a very good mystery and the writing is just terrific. Unlike current books of today that are excessive with needless words, Wentworth is an actual writer that knows how to set a scenes and unribbon the story. Her descriptions and character development are outstanding. Really enjoyed the interaction of chara
Sally
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
What a wonderful premise for a book - beginning with a closed case of murder and a conviction and imprisonment of one who is hoped to be innocent. The moods of despair mingled with hopefulness was excellently done in this story. Although the first book in this Miss Silver series had her only playing a small role, she begins to come to the forefront as a discerning "inquiry agent", that is a private detective interested in cases where the results are that finally the truth comes out. Miss Silver ...more
Learnin Curve
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: detectives
A high three. Interesting structure and plot, but relies more on sappiness than the character development of later books.
Mandy
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: golden age of mystery fans
Shelves: mystery, library
Originally published on Unravellations.

It was all right. I skipped over some pages with what I found to be unnecessary details. Not sure if I'm just an impatient mystery reader or if I'm just not used to Wentworth's style of writing. I've been reading tons of Agatha Christie before, so while there are elements of similarity, the narrative style and plot structure are significantly different.

The mystery in itself was somewhat interesting. I agreed with the main character Hilary when she said, "To
Andrea
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most interesting aspect of this book, to me, was the structure of it. It’s not an inverted mystery, where you know the killer from the beginning, and the story focuses on how the criminal will be arrested, but it did have a twist to its set-up: as it starts, the crime has already been committed quite some time previously, and the accused has already been arrested and is in jail. As in the title, it appears that everything is over and done with; the case is closed.
What is happening as the boo
Teri-K
I've always felt that Miss Silver books deserved wider readership. I hope having them in e-book will make this happen. I greatly enjoyed rereading this second book in the series. It's a lovely tale of a young woman who finds herself tangled up in a cold case - of murder.

This book has many of the elements of a typical Golden Age mystery. Railroad time tables, bicycling down country roads, butlers, cooks, and deaf neighbors all figure in. However, this isn't Agatha Christie and Miss Silver isn't
Elizabeth
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, england
Over all I enjoyed this book. But it's odd, the character of Miss Silver is only a recurring character, not the main character. In both books, #1 and #2, the main characters are a young pair, a female with just enough common sense and brains to move the story forward, and a strong silent type male. Usually there is another pair, a relative of the female (cousin or young-ish aunt), and a boyhood friend or school/military chum of the male. These are the characters who actually do the sleuthing.
On
Andrea Hickman Walker
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I imagine there comes a point when all the good mystery plots have already been used. I'm fairly sure every good writer has tried their hand at this one (I know both Agatha Christie and Colin Dexter have, at the very least) - a murder case, fairly clear who killed the victim, murderer tried, found guilty and that's it. Except that isn't it, because someone is convinced they're innocent (and, of course, they're right because where's the story if they're not (and all of a sudden The murder of Roge ...more
Pamela
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quaint, old-fashioned (very, very old-fashioned) British murder mystery with a wise and kindly knitting sleuth named Miss Silver. Her unassuming (yet sometimes all-knowing) air invests her subjects with loads of faith in her abilities to assist them in the seemingly impossible task ahead. Thanks, Jan Moreno for the recommendation. This reminds me of some of my first mystery books, and I am thrilled that there are 30 of them in the series (as I tend to read through an author’s complete works in ...more
Anna
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of my favorite Miss Silver books. Hilary and Henry are delightful characters to root for. I particularly like Hilary's rhyming imp. There is some really clever, insightful imagery and the mystery is cleverly plotted and revealed although not perfect as there are a few too many coincidental run ins with the Mercers.
Marilyn
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
After nine years this author wrote her second book in the ‘Miss Silver’ series and just as good as her first, story flows really well, loved the characters, will read one more in this series and have 6 more days to do so before I return them to the library. Miss Silver knits away while figuring it all out for her clients, love it.
Sherry
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Until Miss Silver makes her entrance I thought the characters were silly & the story very scattered! Hoping the next book has more Miss Silver!
William
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really want to give this one star but begrudgingly have to give it two. It earns the second star because the characters are passable and because there are some passages that the highlighter-wielding reader will certainly relish.

However, as a mystery, TCIC is an absolute failure. No Christie reader will fail to have this one wrapped up, and there's really nothing of interest at the core of the affair. I saw a review saying that Miss Silver seemed cleverer than Marple, but my goodness, she hardl
Amanda
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: murder-most-foul
I've decided to read through the Miss Silver mysteries as I can find them. This one was not as much fun as some of the others I read. All the characters are emotionally overwrought.

Hilary and Henry's romance, where he tries to be the boss of her and she tries to manage him, is not admirable. When they remember that they love each other and believe in each other, it's nice, but most of the time he treats her likes she's a child, and too often, she is Too Stupid to Live (TSTL).

Marion is beautiful
Imsathya
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I finished this book over the weekend. It was a short novel and moved satisfyingly fast through the fairly straight forward plot. The characters, at least the key ones, were engagingly drawn. The lead pair, Hilary and Henry, are immediately engaging and their lovers' tiff is sweet. But I must say that was the best part of the book- which is not great news for a murder mystery book. Maybe it is because of my having been weaned on Ms Christie but I do expect the author of a whodunit to be a conjur ...more
Jgrace
The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) by Patricia Wentworth

The Case Is Closed - Wentworth
Audio performance by Diana Bishop

This is the second book in Wentworth’s Miss Silver series. Miss Silver is a retired governess turned private detective. She has been compared to Miss Marple. Wentworth has been compared to Agatha Christie; another writer in the golden age of British mysteries. Her books were popular and the series went on for years and years, but I see Miss Silver and Wentworth as being ‘B list’ in comparison to Miss Marple, Peter and Har
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Death in Berlin
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Death and the Joyful Woman (The Felse Investigations #2)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)
“There are moments when everyone in the world is the friend of your heart and you must share its joy.” 1 likes