Start by marking “Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)

Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  10,861 Ratings  ·  436 Reviews
Elvis Cole is back. Hired by a ruthless hotel magnate to locate a priceless Japanese manuscript, he stumbles into a lethal scam involving the Japanese Yakuza, violent death and a young girl he will never forget.
Published April 2nd 2008 (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Angel

Andrew Smith
I’d read the first book in the long running Elvis Cole series some years ago. I can’t remember much about it but I haven’t been back for the second episode, so that tells me something. But I really enjoyed Suspect by the same author and I thought it was about time I gave Elvis a second chance.

In case you’ve never come across this series before – unlikely if you’re in any way a reader of crime fiction - Cole is a private investigator working out of Los Angeles with a hard-man sidekick called Joe
Kemper
Damn it, Robert Crais. I really want to like you, but two books in and this still feels like awkward blind dating rather than true love.

Elvis Cole is hired by wealthy Bradley Warren to recover a rare Japanese manuscript that has been stolen. Warren only cares about using the manuscript to impress his Japanese business partners. When Warren’s wife and daughter are threatened, too, Elvis ends up getting on the bad side of the yakuza.

I should be all over these Crais novels. A smart-mouthed gun-toti
Dan Schwent
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ancient copy of the Hagakure, a Japanese text, goes missing from a rich man's safe and it's up to Elvis Cole to track it down. The man's daughter Mimi goes missing with a warning to call off the search. All signs point to the yakuza. Can Cole and Pike bring back Mimi and find the Hagakure?

The central teaching of the Hagakure is "The Way of the Warrior is Death" and that would have been a good title for this book. Elvis Cole goes from one grisly murder to the next, uncovering more and more dar
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
This is the second book in the Elvis Cole series, published in 1989. It does feel a little dated but on the whole is a good, entertaining holiday read. Elvis is the same smart arse PI we were introduced to in The Monkey's Raincoat, almost to the point where his continuous wise cracks started to get on my nerves. I love his side kick Joe Pike, the silent, enigmatic sociopath who Elvis calls in when he needs the big guns for back up. In this episode Elvis is hired to track down a stolen thirteenth ...more
William
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar flaws to the first Elvis Cole book, but with a weaker and indeterminate ending.

I mostly enjoyed the book, especially the Man on a Mission heroic side of Cole, again much like the hero Harry Bosch.

Moving on now to book #3 in the series.

Notes:
62.0% ... one thing bugs me about Elvis Cole: how does a guy in a bright yellow 1966 Corvette follow anyone around L.A. without being seen EVERY TIME?"

53.0% ... a man on a Mission ...
Bradley Warren's blank check was still in my wallet. I too
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Stalking the Angel' is the second book in the Cole mystery series, but I feel it is a standalone read. The first one in the series, The Monkey's Raincoat, goes into the backstories of Elvis Cole and his partner, Joe Pike, both of whom are Vietnam ex-military veterans, but I don't think it is necessary to read first before 'Stalking the Angel.'

Bradley Warren is an ass, but he is Cole's new client. He is the President of Warren Investments Corp. and he is desperate to find out who stole an eighte
Dipanjan
"Stalking The Angel" is the 2nd in the Elvis Cole & Joe Pike series created by Robert Crais. This book is ALL ABOUT the incorrigible attitude of Elvis Cole, Los Angeles' finest Private Investigator. Every line of this book reeks of Elvis' undaunting attitude and raw guts. He NEVER says anything stratight and that's where this book is an absolutely enjoyable read.

I can bet top dollars that every woman who reads this book will simply fall in love with Elvis Cole.

Mr. Crais has written this book
Christa
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I enjoyed this 2nd Elvis Cole book, and am looking forward to the rest of the series. I like the humor in the books, and Elvis' sarcastic statements and thoughts. It was good to see Joe Pike as well. The book had an engaging storyline, and it kept me guessing.

Elvis Cole is hired to find an important Japanese book that has been stolen. As he tries to find it, he comes up against organized Japanese crime, as well as some surprises.

I really like Elvis, and I felt badly for him in this book. He trie
Eric
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of hard-boiled detective fiction
I enjoyed Elvis Cole's second go-around almost as much as the first, but I was left with a few nagging questions at the end (mild spoilers follow).

- Who killed (view spoiler) and why exactly?
- Did Warren (view spoiler) his daughter or not?
- Did the manuscript make it back to the Tashiro family at the end?
- Did Cole get paid at the end, and if so, was it by Warren's estate, his company, or the Tashiro family?
- Why exactly did Jillian Becker fall
Harry
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, a few rambling thoughts on Robert Crais. Who is this guy, where'd he come from, how'd he get so popular? Well the first thing to know is that Crais is not from California at all. He is a native of Louisiana, grew up in a blue collar family, and read his first crime novel The Little Sister when he was 15. And that's all it took. Chandler gave him his love for writing. Other authors that have inspired him were Hammett, Hemingway (seems like that's true of all the crime writers), Parker, and St ...more
Kelly
This was a good book with a good who-dun-it and a lot of action. I am starting to get into this series and have heard great things about it too. I enjoy Elvis Cole's sense of humor and Joe Pike just being Joe Pike. Give this book/series a try if you are looking for a good mystery that is well written and had likeable characters and a lot of action. I'm looking forward to the third book in this series.
Debbi Mack
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
I'll start off by noting that Elvis Cole is quick with a joke. So quick, he had me laughing out loud by Chapter One. That's pretty quick.

He meets his client, a Mr. Bradley Warren, standing on his head (Elvis, that is -- Warren is on his feet). Warren is in a suit. He blusters and frowns. This seems to be his specialty. That and glancing at his Rolex. He has a female (of course) assistant who is attractive (of course) and who abides her employer's attitudes (of course) for reasons only she knows.
Scott
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adding one star to this book because I feel like the last half of the book is where Crais really starts to flesh out who he wants Elvis to be.

The story drags some at the beginning and you start to feel that everything is super predictable but how everything works out through me for a loop.

Like coming back to this series now, revisiting my old friends and remembering why Joe Pike is my favorite "detective friend."
Michael Martz
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoy ‘early’ Robert Crais. Elvis Cole, ace private detective, is still sort of being defined as a character, as is his trusty nearly nonverbal sidekick Joe Pike, and in this episode Cole is hired to find a stolen rare Japanese manuscript. Before he knows it, he finds much more than he bargained for, and brings Pike in to get things moving. He’s fired from the job by the dickish guy who hired him but keeps working at it because there’s more to the story. Seems the guy’s young daughter i ...more
Nate
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost tempted to give this one an extra star because the cover is MICKEY MOUSE WITH A BIG FUCKING GUN!!! Seriously though, this was a fun read but like the first Cole novel didn’t bowl me over. I think the biggest reason I enjoy these is because I like Cole a lot. Even when his jokes and goofy shit seem a little forced he’s just cool and likable. The case wasn’t fantastic...wow, a missing book. How captivating. It’s just hard to care as much about that kind of mystery when there’s so many books ...more
Mike
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another entry I'd read awhile back. Does anyone else re-read books? I enjoy the Elvis/Joe Pike dynamics. One is a wise-cracking extrovert, the other an enigma, with his shades and tats.
This time, a yuppie type is trying to track down a purloined Japanese tome. Elvis is pulled into a Twilight Zone universe, complete with the yuppie's girl Friday, his alcoholic wife, and bewildering teenage daughter. Throw in the yakuza, and you have a rip-roaring adrenaline ride.
Wendy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-15
I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the Elvis Cole series!
Dorothy
So, a cool blonde walks into the office of a sarcastic, wise-cracking private eye in Los Angeles and finds him upside down, at his ease, standing on his head. And we're off on another noir adventure with Elvis Cole, the "world's greatest detective" and his partner, Joe Pike, who never smiles, never takes his sunglasses off even at night, is a stone-cold killer and probable psychopath.

Also, let us not forget Elvis' beer-drinking cat and his yellow Corvette and his office that is decorated with D
C.C. Thomas
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Elvis Cole! He is so funny-so biting and sarcastic and dark. He's a guy I would like to have a pizza with. Joe Pike is also back. He is really scary but also somehow endearing. He's a guy I would never cross.

In this book, Elvis has been hired to locate an ancient Japanese manuscript. His search leads him straight into the middle of a Yakuza turf war (that's a Japanese mob for those of you not savvy on crime). Of course, with Elvis, nothing is as easy as it seems. He also has a messed up f
Shelley
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: Bradley Warren had lost something very valuable, something that belonged to someone else: a rare thirteenth century Japanese manuscript called the Hagakure. Everything PI Elvis Cole knew about Japanese culture he'd learned from reading Shogun, but he knew a lot of crooks and what he didn't know, his sociopathic sidekick Joe Pike did. Together their search begins in LA's Little Tokyo and the nest of the notorious Japanese mafia, the yakuza, and leads to a white knuckled adventure filled ...more
Huw Rhys
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
You usually know what you're getting with Robert Crais - quirky Elvis Cole with his barely bearable "sense of humour" (Iuse the term guardedly) and dark Joe Pike get into a scrape, there's usually a pretty woman involved, a bit of gore, some physical discomfort and the crime usually gets solved with about 90% total satisfaction - and it's the uneasy, unanswered 10% which makes the novel a teeny bit interesting.

This isn't all that different - an old book goes missing, there's a kidnapping, the Ch
Jake
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A sample of the writing of this book...

"You have any idea how much money that is?"

"Excuse me," I said. I pushed away from my desk, pitched myself out of my chair onto the floor, then got up, brushed myself off, and sat again. "There. I'm finished being impressed. We can go on."

Really?

Look I get that most post-Chandler private eye stories follow the same cliches and that the protagonist always has to be some sort of scarred, sarcastic jerk but for the love of God, at least write it well! That par
LJ
STALKING THE ANGEL - Ex
Crais, Robert - 2nd in Elvis Cole series

Annie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Robert Crais book I've read and I enjoyed it so much. Elvis Cole is a great character, funny as well as determined. He's good at his job and doesn't stop until he knows the answer, seemingly more for himself than for the client.

Joe Pike is the quiet one you should watch out for, and they clearly share a close friendship. They can read each other incredibly well and make for a dynamic duo.

I only started this one as an 'in between' book because it's short, but it's giving me a craving for mo
Marge
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
I really like Elvis Cole and Joe Pike, but I really didn't like all the excessive killing and over-the-top violence. I also hated that Elvis was in the wrong here several times and cost people their lives. Nobody is perfect, but Cole kept making mistakes over and over again.
Jeanine
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. I really enjoy Elvis Cole and Joe Pike is an interesting character as well. I like the little plot twists in the story and the emotions Elvis deals with in making his decisions. Great book - great series!
M. Louis
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tough guy Elvis Cole shows his sensitive side by working to help someone because he can; instead of just for a fee. Great action, interesting characters.
Alasandra Alawine
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Frankham
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
The second Los Angeles-based Elvis Cole private-eye crime novel.

Elvis is asked to retrieve a stolen Japanese treasure, but the plot widens as the treasure owner's 16yo daughter disappears.

A bit violent for me, the author attempts, with fair success, to replicate Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe in his witty and cynical thoughts and conversation. No-one can, but it was an engaging and exciting plot, keeping one guessing, and also dealing with some sensitive issues.

Started as a 3*, but well dese
Amanda McGill
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
When I was searching through which book to read next I saw that Stalking the Angel was Elvis Cole book #2. I didn't remember book #1, so I looked at my review. I said that the book was ok, but the best part of it was that it was only 200 pages. I should of stopped the series after #1, since book #2 wasn't any better. I didn't like the main character, Elvis. He is suppose to come off as funny and sarcastic (think Myron Bolitar), but he doesn't have any charm and just doesn't say the right things.
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • The Quick Red Fox (Travis McGee #4)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • A Stained White Radiance (Dave Robicheaux, #5)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
Robert Crais is the author of the best-selling Elvis Cole novels. A native of Louisiana, he grew up on the banks of the Mississippi River in a blue collar family of oil refinery workers and police officers. He purchased a secondhand paperback of Raymond Chandler’s The Little Sister when he was fifteen, which inspired his lifelong love of writing, Los Angeles, and the literature of crime fiction. ...more
More about Robert Crais

Elvis Cole (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • Voodoo River (Elvis Cole, #5)
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
  • L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole, #8)
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • The Watchman (Elvis Cole, #11; Joe Pike, #1)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“Stalking the Angel
[Joe]"I could off anybody in this place five times over."
[Elvis]"Could you off someone and get away with you here?"
[Joe]Head shake. "I'm too good even for me.”
15 likes
“there was a quality of loneliness to her that comes when your only friend walks away and you don’t know why and there’s no one else and never will be. A left-behind look.” 3 likes