Start by marking “Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one” as Want to Read:
Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one

Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one (The Ancestor's Secrets #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Ilona is a doctor and the descendant of an ancient Hun tribe which still exist hidden amongst us with its strict and fiercely enforced rules. Ilona is resourceful and daring breaks those rules, but she must also face the consequences. Her mother died before she got a chance to explain her inherited powers to her, but she begins to remember the forgotten instructions concea ...more
ebook
Published (first published February 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one

Gladys Quintal
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh so cruel to end it there!!!!!! I totally loved this story, it was unlike anything I have ever read before and I am totally hooked. I need to find out more about the True Hun's and their abilities. Who will Ilona choose and what is Elza hiding??

I guess I am just going to have to start with book 2....

Erika, you have a new fan:)
Missdevora
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, paranormal, romance readers.
Shelves: paranormal
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review from the Goodreads group Lovers of Paranormal, R2R Program.

I like how the author starts each of her chapters, using the meaning of plants and flowers and a definition as the theme of the section, it is very unique.

The cover is also very beautiful and describes Ilona's features perfectly, especially her eyes.
Some parts of the book are written in the Hun language, which gives a special touch to the legends and rhymes.

The concept of th
Barbara Underwood
I was very pleased to come across this Fantasy novel because it is much more aligned to my taste in such books, namely real people living in our world, but gifted with special ‘magical’ powers. The first sentences already grabbed my fascination, and the easy flow of the entire book continually held my interest and curiosity. The author has skilfully let the main characters talk in the form of diary entries, and with natural dialogue and careful descriptions of thoughts and feelings, the reader s ...more
Kate
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a signed copy of this book as one of the goodreads giveaways, so many thanks to Erika Szabo and Goodreads for this. I really enjoyed reading it, but it ended far too soon for me. The book is well written and easy to read and de-stress too, so I found it perfect to snuggle under a blanket and lose myself in the story.
The background context to this book is one of mystery. The main character Ilona is a true Hun and the book (as book 1) is setting the scene, for a journey of self discove
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this story. It's full of mystery, suspense, danger and let's not forget the handsome stranger who falls in love (at 1st sight) with Ilona (the amazingly smart and very lovable heroine). I loved the Hungarian touch written into the beginning of each chapter followed with the English translation. Though, I would love to actually hear the Hungarian version. I think it would sound so amazingly intriguing.

This story took me on a wonderful journey through the past, present and future
Hayley
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Hayley by: Gladys Quintal
Oh how I totally loved reading this book and cannot wait to read the next ones.
I found it so easy to read and easy to follow, hence making it easy to finish rather quickly in one of those middle of the night 'must finish' sessions.
I was captivated by the main character Ilona, and the way the book was written had me right there with her throughout her journey in this first novel.
To me there was all the right amounts of suspence, surprise, romance and interesting facts that I can't wait to find mo
Connie Kline
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read this book not knowing what to expect. Can I say WOW!!! This was an easy read, very well written, and kept me glued to the characters. I can't wait to read book two and follow these amazing characters. Check it out! Highly recommended!!
Joe Bonadonna
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Wow, this was not what I was expecting from a Young Adult Fantasy, and it was a surprising pleasure. Told mostly through the eyes of Ilona, the main character, Szabo cleverly utilizes a combination of narrative prose and passages from Ilona's diary, as well as from those of other characters, in order to advance her plot and tell her story. Ilona is the Chosen One who has been gifted with certain "powers," which she begins to learn about as she comes of age on her 29th birthday. But there are sec ...more
Tiffany Holme
Interesting Concept

Starting this read I was undeniably interested in the concept of just the name Hun. We know the stories of Attila the Hun and I was curious to see where the author took this. Turns out it has nothing to do with that Hun, or at least not yet. Of course this is a paranormal read, but it is always interesting to hear a new take on different beliefs. Szabo, did a wonderful job of doing just this and really did capture my attentions with the concept of Huns and unique abilities.
Lorinda Taylor
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I find interesting in this book is the premise devised by the author, who is Hungarian by birth. The Huns existed between the 1st and the 7th centuries and then were absorbed into other peoples; similarly their language went extinct after the 5th century. The lack of certain knowledge about the Huns (not the same as the modern-day Hungarians, or Magyars, but undoubtedly connected) provided an opportunity to create a secret tribe of humans with special powers who are living clandestinely amo ...more
Romina
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ilona is a born healer. Descended from an ancient tribe of Hun.
In her 29 years she hasn’t learnt much about her heritage, due to the premature death of her parents. In keeping with rules and tradition only her parents were allowed to teach her the truth surrounding her destiny and in turn leading her toward a life she would have never imagined.
With only long lost memories to help her she sets herself on a journey of self-discovery and acceptance.
Ever since they met as children Ilona has been in
Kitty Muse Book Reviews
It’s Ilona’s twenty-ninth birthday, which is a landmark age for her. As a Hungarian by ancestry, this means that she has reached the “age of reason”—and now her full powers can be engaged.
There’s only one problem—she doesn’t know how to make the most of them, and she hardly even knows they exist. This problem makes a really good umbrella for the host of other issues that arise.
The people she loves the most--her longtime housekeeper Elza, her “uncle” Rua, and Elza’s young daughter Ema, cannot he
Shayna Varadeaux
I received this book in exchange for a honest review.

Ilona is a doctor and she's also a female Hun.
For Ilona healing comes naturally.
Her heritage is shrouded in mystery.
She's not allowed to know any details until she is an "adult" by Hun standards. And Hun standard means age of 29. And that day is finally here.
It's Ilona's birthday and she is struggling through her day.
She knows she is special and has gifts.
It is just her full potential she hasn't a clue about.
She is curious about so many
Paula
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
Birthright Bestowed

I received a free copy, in exchange for a review.

Being part of an ancient race of people, Ilona's upbringing is not that different from others. Being a True Hun, with certain traditions, she is just like everyone else. Except, one day, when she reaches the first stage of adulthood, on her 29th birthday, mysteries start to revel themselves, to her, but not fully and all in half stories. Being a Hun, there are three main stages of life, at the ages of 29, 40 and 60. Since she is
Roy Murry
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review of Birthright Bestowed
Book 1
Ilona the Hun trilogy
Written by Author Erika M. Szabo

Reviewed by R. Murry

Fantasy means a product of the imagination. “Everything is possible if we take into account the fact that we’re True Huns,” is a statement made by one of the characters of this magical contemporary fantasy. This belief is there when a child is taught to believe in oneself no matter the culture.

Ilona the Hun, the main character of this somewhat mind awakening novel, comes of age at the ripe
Crystal
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstread
I received this book as a firstread so I would like to say a big thank you to the author.

I really love the concept of this book. It’s a different than any other super natural books I’ve read, which is a wonderful change. Sometimes you don’t realize how similar they start sounding until you read something completely different.

Though I gave this book 5 stars I almost gave it 4 stars for two reasons:

First - I found that some points in the story were repeated too many times. For example – I don’t ne
☺~Tina~☺
I'm not going to repeat the synopsis because it gives a good overview of the story.

I'm going to see if I can explain why this is a 2 star story for me.

I like the idea of the story. It's different and I really wanted to learn the secrets of the Huns. For me, the problem was the delivery of getting to the bottom of these secrets. The first 60 or so pages, the story moved slowly for me and it was redundant. I remember thinking, "I need Ilona to do something else" like go to work or something. She
Amanda
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best kind of stories are ones that play in your mind as you're reading along. With Birthright Bestowed, Erika has certainly accomplished a feast-for-the-senses story! Erika's descriptive writing is both simple and complete. Be it describing how a character looks, how a dream feels, or how yummy lunch looks, this story played inside my head beautifully.
Experiencing Ilona's journey as she turns twenty-nine and begins to find out what her destiny and purpose in life is was a treat. Intelligent
Anna
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
**I received this book in exchange for an honest review.**

So whenever I read blurbs on this book, they always looked extremely interesting. And even know that I'm finished the book, it's still a fascinating concept that Erika Szabo came up with. My only exposure to Huns before this was from Mulan (ignorant, yes I do know...) so I kind of went into the story blindly and I still can't decide if it hurt or helped me.

Here what I didn't like:
So it was a great story line. But for some reason it seemed
J.E. Rogers
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Protected by the Falcon (Paranormal Fiction)
By Erika M. Szabo

In this wonderful debut paranormal novel, Erika M. Szabo introduces readers to a fascinating world of ancient rights conducted by a secret order. It is a fast-paced story where magic collides with reality.

Meet Illona, a young doctor, who lost her parents at an early age. Unable to learn the wisdom and secrets of the society in which she is a member, Illona struggles without the support of her mother. She will have to understand the tr
Deborah Davidson
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Imagine finding yourself capable of amazing abilities that you don't understand but know that others around you do? The frustrations of having those people unable to tell you for reasons nobody really understands.

Could you or would you simply embrace these new "gifts" or would you want answers and want them NOW??

Ilona finds herself in just this position and you will travel with her through time and the lack of same until you are caught up in the strange reality that is her birthright.

The author
Naomi
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ilona takes her job seriously and she is a caring person. She is always looking out for other people; her adopted family and her patients at the hospital. She has always wanted to know about her heritage and often is confused by it. The life of a Hun is very secretive and you find out the details when you reach 29, usually from your parents. Ilonas parents died 11 years ago and she is unable to talk to anyone about it, as those who know about being a Hun suffer if they try to talk about it.

On Il
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Erika M Szabo
Previous review:
As I began reading this story, I noticed a lot of mistakes throughout the story and a few places didn't make any sense. But with a little help and some extra work done to make the story more understandable, the author has really brought this story to a new and improved level of pure enjoyment.

New Review:
I was extremely entranced by the plot and I fell in love with each character in this story. I loved the enchanted mystery of the story and how the author was able to capture my a
Becky
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ebook from the goodreads group lovers of paranormal in exchange for my honest review.
I'd give this book 3.5 stars.
The premise of the story is very engaging. Ilona is a true hun, but doesnt know much about what that means, other than a lot of rules and rituals to be followed. She should learn on her 29th birthday,but her parents are not there to tell her of her birthright, because they died in a car crash when she was young. So she must figure it out on her own.
Along th
Danielle (Dannie)
There were a couple of areas where words were left out (such as "a", "the", etc.) and a few incorrect spellings of words, however they were few and far between, so I was able to read through them
without any problems. That being said, I was captivated by this book from the first page. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Not only were the characters well defined, but the plot had a lot of
substance to it. The history of the Huns was absolutely fascinating and I love that the author incorporated
Danielle Kazemi
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erika Szabo has managed to create a captivating story which centers around Ilona, descendant of the True Hun tribe. She had been kept in the dark about her birthright and the possibilities of being a Hun. She comes to unimaginable powers, healing with a touch is but one of them. Ilona's journey of discovering and learning to use her gifts while her life is in danger is exciting, also dealing with the emotions and problems of being a single woman who is torn between two men. One, Bela, has been h ...more
M.G. Wells
Intriguing and Unique!

BIRTHRIGHT BESTOWED by Erika M. Szabo is so original, there is nothing I can compare it to, and I'm happy about it. Discovering an unusual, original story is always a thrill.

Ancient, Magical Healing Rituals and family traditions bind this story.
Personally, I had no prior knowledge of THE HUNS and resonated with them as spiritually evolved earthly beings, who pass down healing knowledge and magical traditions that benefit humankind.

The plot and story is extensive and intrica
Victoria Stolte
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I must start by saying I was not sure how to rate this book.. It has 5* potential, But It does need a little work.

When I read the synopsis I thought.. Hmm this sounds interesting.
I don't really know about the Hun culture, but reading this story definitely left me intrigued.
I felt I could relate with Ilona and the other character's as well.
Erika was able to keep me interested, there were some interesting tales and secrets. There was some spots where I was missing part of the story.. not sure what
Linda Humbert
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the creation of Foresight, Erika M. Szabo has woven a beautiful story that is set primarily in the present day, but with trips to the distant past as well. Ilona is a healer, not only by birthright, but by choice. Ilona is a Hun, and with this mystical race there is another kind of coming of age at 29. Her true birthright is revealed. However, this doesn’t happen all at once for this unassuming woman, for it is the beginning of a beautiful, sometimes heart-breaking journey. This is not only ...more
Cindy Smith
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the original version so I was a little reluctant to read it again. However, I am very glad I did! This version flows so much smoother! I found myself caught right up in the story and routing for the characters! I was so involved that I didn't find myself remembering what came next!!! (That is usually why I do not re-read anything) I can't wait to start book 2! Great Job!

Ilona is a HUN that comes of age (29) and with that gets magical powers. Unfortunately her parents died 10 years
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Twice Cursed (Cursed by Blood, #2)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • A Black Deeper Than Death
  • The Eslites (The Eslite Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Number 13 (Lightmasters, #1)
  • The Infernal Detective (Riga Hayworth #4)
  • Lawyers in Hell (Heroes in Hell, #13)
  • Shadows in the Stone (The Castle Keepers, #1)
  • Walking Away
  • To Breathe the Breath of Isis
  • Lost (Heart Search #1)
  • The Dark Legion (The Plantation #2)
  • Gone at Zero Hundred 00:00 (McSwain & Beck #1)
  • Manipulating the List (Immortal Companion, #1)
  • The Goddess's Choice (Kronicles of Korthlundia, #1)
  • Metamorphosis  (H.E.R.O., #1)
  • Exposing Kitty Langley (Charity, #2.5)
Author, Publishing Coach
I give up! I cannot add my books or change book covers, my profile shows long ago unpublished books and I cannot merge or delete them. Therefore, if you stumble upon my profile, please visit my website and take a look at my books and the services I provide for authors.

More about Erika M. Szabo...
“I never liked the influence of others when it came to feelings. I rather went through the painful process of analyzing everything half to death.” 2 likes