Start by marking “The Case Of The Spurious Spinster” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Spurious Spinster

The Case Of The Spurious Spinster (Perry Mason #64)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Wealthy Amelia Corning, owner of the Corning mine interests, might be an old lady in a wheelchair but she doesn’t miss a trick. Secretary Susan Fisher has to call in Perry Mason when she finds her boss’s seven-year-old son holding a shoebox stuffed with hundred-dollar bills. Then Miss Corning’s life is at risk.
Paperback
Published September 24th 2010 by House of Stratus (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Spurious Spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Spurious Spinster

Evgeny
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Fisher was working on a weekend because her boss asked her to (or told her to - this was not specified). To add to her problems the governess of the boss's son asked her to take care of her charge. This whole situation reminds me of a joke of a soldier mowing grass and officers coming up with ideas about more efficient utilization of the guy's work - simply by increasing his workload.
Soldier

Accidentally this joke was implemented in real life by countless CEOs that finally realized that the best w
Richa
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery. Though, Mr Gardner did not put up all the clues fairly. Only at the end were they logically given. Still, good whodunit.
I did not appreciate Paul Drake's attitude in this one.. Not of a good friend. Overly pessimistic. In contrast, was simply charmed by Della Street!
False
I've been reading my way through Perry Mason books for the past two years. Some are incredibly hard to find, even using an interlibrary loan system. This book features the ever present curvy young innocent woman in trouble. She turns to Perry and it's off to the races. There is one character, the spinster and owner of a mine, that is wheelchair bound and wearing blue glasses for her blindness. For whatever reason my mind went this way, I thought about how this book was published in 1961 (I read ...more
Steve
Perry Mason programmer. Not the best of the series but a good quick read for a mental getaway.
Beth
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was the first Perry Mason novel I've read - I picked up a paperback copy at a rummage sale. The book was written in the early 1960s. A secretary is implicated in a murder and calls on PM to help her. The head of the company for which she works comes to town and gets the secretary's help to investigate possible embezzling involving a mine, then the company owner disappears. After another woman shows up claiming to be the president, and then a man is murdered, the secretary is blamed. A myste ...more
Ed
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#64 in the Perry Mason series. Perry gets involved in the problem of a secretary who was storing a box received from her boss's son. The box was stuffed with $100 dollar bills. She can't reach her boss, the owner is coming to inspect the books, and it appears a money draining mine is not even active. The owner arrives early takes the books (and perhaps the box) and disappears. The boss arrives, denies there was a box of money and accuses the secretary of embezzlement. A second woman claiming to ...more
Tony
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
THE CASE OF THE SPURIOUS SPINSTER. (1962). Erle Stanley Gardner. ****.
A young woman, a secretary and office manager of a large conglomerate, takes a shoebox from the son of the managing director and puts it into the office safe. The seven-year old son tells her that it contains treasure, and that he had traded his shoe box of treasures with his father for his box. After secretly looking inside the box, the secretary discovers that it is full of $100 bills, to the tune of $160-plus thousand dolla
Tania
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love a good mystery? If you do, then The Case of the Spurious Spinster is an excellent choice. As famous as the character of Perry Mason is, I can't say that I've read any of that series before now. But this book happened upon me (it's been on my shelf waiting to be read for years) so I took the opportunity to acquaint myself with him. I was delighted at what I found - which is quick wit, a thirst for the truth and justice, and not a little mystery surrounding the who-done-it part of ...more
R.W. Clark
Bust in the Dust

Played out mine. Cowboy willing to please. Owner home from Argentina. Young boy with thousands stuffed into a shoebox. Faithful governess and her nurse friend. Boorish boss.

And the dedicated secretary framed for murder, with Mason and Della standing over the corpse made ready for burning.

A rather ordinary story.
Stven
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Perry Mason story really is about twice as good as the one I finished earlier this week, The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister. It hits the ground running and keeps us on our toes the whole way... which is probably a poor choice of figures of speech since a pivotal scene is about meeting a lady in a wheelchair at the airport... but I'll let it stand. (*groan*)
Doug Dams
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
In this case, Perry Mason's client is accused of the murder of a wealthy woman. But Perry finds an imposter posing as the wealthy woman, and the mystery deepens. Is she really dead? Whose body is in the morgue? Perry has to solve the case of identity and find a motive for the murder. It's a good story.
Sherry
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I truly love all Perry Mason novels by Erle Stanley Gardner. This is one of my particular favorites which I reread for fun. A glass of iced tea, some string cheese, and Perry and Della - my idea of a relaxing afternoon.
Les Anderson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would never have figured this one out. Mason uses some clever tricks before the trial but it isn't until he determines who is lying on the stand that he is able to tie everything together. Possibly, one of the most devious murderers that Mason has ever caught.
Vincent Darlage
Not the best Perry Mason, but it had a satisfying conclusion. It had a great scene between Tragg and Mason, but other than that, it was pretty average. Also, I think I remembered too clearly the TV episode based on this novel.
Jeffrey Marks
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good use of the impostor crime. I wasn't quite sure about the ending though...
Linnja (Lynn)
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Fun, Fun, Fun. I'd forgotten all about these mystery books.
Brandy B. Stark
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulpy

Though good, it is not on of my favorites. It is a bit slow but the twentieth st at the end was up yo par with Perry Mason!
Yrsa
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Den första Perry Mason-boken som jag läste. Sen hade jag visst fastnat för Perry Mason.
Gregg
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel. The episode should have been filmed as the book was titled, not named something else.
NancyS
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. I had forgotten how timeless and well written this author's works are.
Andres
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klassikaline Perry Masoni lugu oma tuntud headuses.

Kuigi mõnest liinist hakkasin juba enne Masonit aru saama, siis lõpplahenduseni ikkagi ei jõudnud.
Jekyllhyde
Gg
Jul 16, 2013
Ilavenil
Jul 27, 2016
  • Stolen Away (Nathan Heller, #5)
  • When One Man Dies (Jackson Donne, #1)
  • The Ice Cradle
  • The 38 Million Dollar Smile (Donald Strachey, #10)
  • Seven Complete Nero Wolfe Novels (The Silent Speaker, Might As Well Be Dead / If Death Ever Slept / Three at Wolfe's Door / Gambit / Please Pass the Guilt/ A Family Affair)
  • More Beer
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Selbs Mord (Selb, #3)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • A Dangerous Affair (Liberty Lane, #2)
  • Terminal (Burke, #17)
  • Black Money

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece