Start by marking “The Case of the Duplicate Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Duplicate Daughter

The Case of the Duplicate Daughter

(Perry Mason #62)

Muriell Gilman left her father at the breakfast table while she cooked seconds of sausages and eggs. When she returned, he had disappeared - seemingly into thin air. She searched the house from cellar to attic. Then she went out to the workshop. There, scattered on the floor, were hundred-dollar bills, and in their midst, a spreading crimson stain. That's when she telephon ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 194 pages
Published September 12th 1988 by Ballantine (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Duplicate Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Duplicate Daughter

Evgeny
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Muriell Gilman was serving a breakfast to her father when suddenly the latter asked her to cook him more eggs and sausages breaking his daily routine.
Eggs and sausages
When Muriell brought him those it turned out her father mysteriously and completely disappeared leaving all his things behind. After searching for him in the house Muriell decided to check the workshop. What she saw in there prompted her to rush to the nearest phone and call Perry Mason for an immediate appointment.

I should stop here to avoid fur
Melindam
Customary fast-paced Perry Mason mystery, but overweight in the legal-technical-details department and with a rather abrupt ending.

Plus, ESG breaks one of Knox's "Ten Commandments" (or "Decalogue") for the Golden Age Whodunits (view spoiler) by introducing the threhad for the final solution only at the very end.

Although the crime-investigation-trial thread is there; it is interesti
Greg
BOOK 58: Mid-20th Century North American Crime Readathon-Round 2
When one reads Gardner (especially his later work) amid such greats as Ross MacDonald and Patricia Highsmith, one notices weaknesses.
HOOK=2 stars: A daughter cooks a second breakfast for her father, but upon her return to the dining room, he is gone. Not hungry anymore? Office emergency? Or bored with the plot already? A flat opening for me.
PACE=3: Solid after the first chapter.
PLOT=1: Gardner commits a mystery-writer crime: he intr
Richa
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Again we come across a staged murder by pushing a car over a precipise. Gardner very shrewdly shows how both ways can be caught.
This is one of those cases where Mason suddenly gets vital information at the very end of the book. It is almost like he wanted us to believe that, fighting a case in court is more a part of luck, than serious study, legal logic and research work!
I couldn't help but wonder, whether Gardner was recently advised to watch his weight while thinking up a plot for this book.
Kate Picher
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at a thrift store and started reading. The style is very snappy and in typical Perry Mason manner, quite intellectual. Four stars to me means I would tell others to read it--but with a warning. This book is as sexist as a Madmen episode. Page 72:

Mason said, "Miss Matilda Norman, the secretary in question, had left for the night. She is reported to be somewhere in the fifties and is built along the lines of a string bean."
"These other women, I take it," Della Street said, "w
Stven
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Thinking back over the plot of this story now that I've read it, I'm still not sure why Perry's client didn't just level with him in the first place. But that's an almost automatic element of the formula, that the client is hiding something and that mystery has to be solved as part and parcel of the murder case. Anyhow, a fun read with some eagerly turned pages. It's 1960 and we're enough into the modern world that the reader can contemplate the situation of a child born out of wedlock.
B.R. Stateham
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Published in 1960 you can't say its one of Gardner's best. But it moves fast and the court scenes are very captivating. It's good to go back and re-read something out of the past. This is a perfect example.
False
Daddy has gone missing. Everyone's on a diet. Uh oh. I can see Erle Stanley Gardner and his typing pool ALL having to go on a diet if HE did. That's how he rolled. A real Patriarchy and not a lot of room for dissension.
Tony
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
THE CASE OF THE DUPLICATE DAUGHTER. (1960). Erle Stanley Gardner. ***.
Gardner used a variety of ‘tricks’ to introduce his stories. In this one, our main character asks his daughter for an additional egg and slab of bacon for breakfast. She knows that he is watching his weight, but agrees to do so, thinking his diet is rigorous enough. When she returns to the breakfast room with the added food, she finds her father missing. She calls out and searches the house – with no luck. When she finally get
Anna
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Muriell Gilman's father abruptly leaves their house during breakfast, she gets worried enough to start her inquiry. After stumbling across Mason's phone number and annotation not to call the police in case anything happens, she decides there is no time to waste. When she informs the lawyer of a large amount of loose cash and red stains in the workshop, he decides to investigate it. Della Street connects the dots and notices similarity of names with a man who made an appointment for the same ...more
Bob
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here off-putting. It can be stiff and mechanical. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by 1950 are the best. This one was written in
Panu Mäkinen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Kirja alkaa kutkuttavalla kissa ja hiiri -leikillä, jossa on epäselvää, kuka yrittää jymäyttää ja ketä – ainakin lukija on täysin ymmällään odottamattomista juonenkäänteistä. Tapahtumat lähtevät liikkeelle siitä, että Carter Gilman on tyttärensä Muriellin kanssa aamiaisella, mutta ei tunne itseään kylläiseksi ja pyytää tytärtään valmistamaan vielä yhden annoksen. Tyttären palatessa keittiöstä hän on hävinnyt jäljettömiin. Tytär aloittaa etsinnät ja löytää lopulta askarteluhuoneesta punaisen lamm ...more
John
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
To a child reared on the Perry Mason TV series it came as something of a shock to discover the novels upon which it was based, in which Perry isn't nice respectable Raymond Burr but a flamboyant figure, more P.I. than lawyer, who spends much of his time on the fringes of legality, not infrequently straying beyond them. Likewise, Della seems to be a bit of a vibrant gal rather than the almost demure Barbara Hale. I've lost count of the number of the novels I've read since that discovery; these da ...more
Ed
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#62 in the Perry Mason series. The answer to the puzzle of Glamis occurred to me early on, but the details and Perry's courtroom machinations make the read worthwhile.

Perry Mason series - Muriell Gilman left her father at the breakfast table while she cooked seconds of sausage and eggs. When she returned, he had disappeared - apparently into thin air. She searched the house from cellar to attic. Then she went out to the workshop ...there, scattered on the floor, were hundred-dollar bills - and i
Doug Dams
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A daughter comes to Mason for help when her father goes missing at breakfast and when she looks for him, discovers a pool of blood in his workshop and several one hundred dollar bills. Twins separated at birth and a blackmail stir up a murder and Perry Mason has to defend the daughter against murder charges. A good story of mistaken identities and an unknown twin adds a good twist to the story.
Les Anderson
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again, it is only through a witnesses testimony on the stand that Perry Mason finally figures out the truth. The friendship between Tragg and Mason grows, with Tragg apologizing for serving a subpoena on Mason.
Vincent Darlage
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of the better Perry Mason mysteries. Hamilton Burger was really upsetting the judge, and I wasn't sure how Perry Mason was going to get out of this one.
Jeffrey Marks
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
definitely not a play fair mystery. The solution lies in one of Father Knox's rules for playing fair with the reader.
Eric
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
All of Gardners books are great.
Στέλιος
Eva Inzu
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
always love Perry Mason story..
Tici Truly home
Ajitha
May 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Bigger They Come
  • Please Pass the Guilt (Nero Wolfe, #45)
  • Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, #6)
  • The Instant Enemy
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • Ravenmocker (Molly Bearpaw, #1)
  • The Past Never Ends

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece