Start by marking “Feasting the Heart: Fifty-Two Commentaries for the Air” as Want to Read:
Feasting the Heart: Fifty-Two Commentaries for the Air

Feasting the Heart: Fifty-Two Commentaries for the Air

In the fall of 1993, Alice Winkler of National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" asked Reynolds Price to write a short story for a Christmas morning broadcast. This assignment would result in NPR's inviting Price to join its varied group of commentators on "All Things Considered." The laws of radio require a concision that has become a welcome new discipline for Price; and ...more
Hardcover
Published October 17th 2000 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Feasting the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feasting the Heart

Start your review of Feasting the Heart: Fifty-Two Commentaries for the Air
Anara Guard
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to like these essays more than I did. Each one was written to be read aloud on NPR, so I did try to hear Reynolds Price's beautiful Southern voice in my mind as I read the pages. But, with a few exceptions, I found that the pieces were not as tight as I expected. I know that many Southern tale-tellers like to meander (and I'm often happy to go along) but in pieces this brief, I expected the beauty of brevity. Only a few will remain with me; I have forgotten many of them already. I'll re ...more
Marcia Miller
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sparkling short essays, written over a 7-year period to be heard on NPR's All Things Considered, provided a revelatory introduction to a writer who was heretofore unfamiliar to me. Sounds like the kind of person I'd love to have known. Each piece is a lovely rumination on some aspect of life from one of its keen observers.
Rachel
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This collection makes me feel effusive about Reynolds Price, radio, and the short-form essay. I will be using some of these pieces as examples in class of concise brilliance. I love RP's approach the the world and love for apparently everything, his deep reserves of forgiveness and patience. I only hope that when I'm in my sixties I can write--and feel--like this.
Michael Huang
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some random stories or observations for public radio. Because the length limit, there's little chance to fully develop any thought or plot. The resulting pieces are sometimes interesting, never profound, and ultimately very forgettable.
Allison Foster
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A great view into the mind of a great thinker. Some stories resonated with me very much while others slipped through my fingers without much to hold on to.
Ann
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoying these short, erudite and interesting pieces very much.
Lisa
As always, Reynolds has turned out a book beautiful in its language and thoughtfulness.
Judy
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quite good collection of short personal essays on a variety of subjects read over a period of time on Public Radio.
Colleen
Feb 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Not even quite stories, almost just thoughts, but they're good and make me want to read more of him.
Kiersten Annemarie

• The Book of Longings
  • The Cloister Walk
  • The Patron Saint of Liars
  • Akin
  • My Ántonia (Great Plains Trilogy, #3)
  • Good Harbor
  • Cloud Nine
  • Mystic River
  • Haven't They Grown
  • Alias Grace
Reynolds Price was born in Macon, North Carolina in 1933. Educated at Duke University and, as a Rhodes Scholar, at Merton College, Oxford University. He taught at Duke since 1958 and was James B. Duke Professor of English.

His first short stories, and many later ones, are published in his Collected Stories. A Long and Happy Life was published in 1962 and won the William Faulkner Award for a best fi