Start by marking “Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,223 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Guy Kawasaki, CEO of garage.com and former chief evangelist of Apple Computer, Inc., presents his manifesto for world-changing innovation, using his battle-tested lessons to help revolutionaries become visionaries.

Create Like a God

Turn conventional wisdom on its head-create revolutionary products and services by analyzing how to approach the problems at hand.

Command Like a
Published May 3rd 2000 by Harper Business (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rules For Revolutionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules For Revolutionaries

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
Alicia Fox
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm delighted whenever I find books for a quarter, even when I know they're crappy hate-reads. This is exactly what I expected--a self-help book disguised as the key to marketing success--a vapid treatise exulting corporate success, full of trite phrases and anecdotes. Reading this nearly twenty years after its publication affords the added joke that so many of the companies whose strategies and tactics he praises are now defunct (because, whodathunk, business plans don't always succeed, even wh ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Rules for Revolutionaries (1998) is a kind of crash course in guerrilla marketing told in a friendly, happy, and sometimes zany way. The chapters cover creating like a god, commanding like a king and working like a slave. I liked the freshness of the approach. Admittedly, the book took me all of about 90 minutes to read but I was totally pumped afterwards. I liked the warnings about Death Magnets and the Exercises – which seem to be a staple in his book because they are also present in The Art o ...more
Erin
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It took me just one day to read this book. But for months, I've been talking about it. Highly recommended for anyone who considers themselves a "Creative" and is working on a project that they want to be revolutionary.
Heidless
Oct 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Con-trepreneur!

This bloke is on the board of Canva : thieves & liars. They stole a years subscription from me & refuse to respond to ANY support requests.

See their trustpilot rating - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/canv...

So, basing my rating on his actions rather than his BS.

Avoid anything related to this chump. Liar & Hypocrite.
Aldous Sperl
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good insights here about effective organizing.
Carolyn Kost
Kawasaki is engaging as speaker and writer. He fills his books with pithy and memorable slogans as well as inspiring anecdotes of what other business leaders have done that have lead to either success or learning opportunity. This is not heavy reading, more like a stimulating lecture, but there has to be something in this book that will strike a chord with the reader. Some of this echoes the new thinking on start-up entrepreneurship championed by Steven Blank and LeanLaunchPad methodology, such ...more
Carolyn Kost
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: org-mgmt
Alain Burrese
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently reviewed APE by Guy Kawasaki, and wanted to check out some of his earlier books. I'd been familiar with him for a long time, but hadn't read his earlier stuff. I found a signed copy of “Rules For Revolutionaries” at a used bookstore and just read it. (Just wish it was signed to me and not someone else.)

Anyway, “Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing new Products and Services” by Kuy Kawasaki is a very good book for the person or company wanting
Erica
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I think I need to sit on it a bit and review in a week or so. Two things that kept bugging me:

1) This was not a book to read on the subway. I think I would have really benefited from a pen and paper to jot down some thoughts, or make notes on the exercises, etc. I very rarely think that about books, and I consider this to be a positive exception.

2) I am not sure if there is an updated or revised edition, but it drove me INSANE that for every company that had a webs
Shawn Buckle
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
It must be reassuring for Kawasaki that, as parity becomes commonplace in lots of service-oriented businesses, there's a revitalization of good, strong customer service to differentiate. Good customer service and a good product or service empowers consumers to evangelize ones product where they become the market cheerleaders money can't buy - a lot of titanic-sized companies should take note.

I find that business books walk a fine line between self-help and educational, where the latter is desire
Raja
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book by Guy Kawasaki that I have read and it doesn't disappoint. Despite being published in the tail-end of the 90s it doesn't feel outdated - which isn't something that can be said for other, more recently published business books. Just how well can the advice in this book be implemented? I aim to find out. Not sure if I can either create like a god or work like a slave, but the command like a king part doesn't sound too hard, does it? Eat like a bird and poop like an elephant ...more
Inggita
GK's kick-ass style rules! so much that we endured his yucky manifestos "eat like a bird, poop like an elephant" - this is a call to out-of-the-box thinkers to capitalize on their ideas and avoid the dotcom traps. Even though his famous passion for marketing Apple computers earn him the title "evangelist", he's one of the not-too-many pundits who are critical of the dotcom craze with his term "chinese soda" syndrome which is a naive interpretation of a market.
Patrick Quirk
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I would recommend it for the following:
- Very easy read that gives you a take-on-the-world feeling
- I expect to be able to pull this book out whenever I need a good business quote or some real-world examples, especially of follies
- While the concepts are more best practices for life than revolutionary business concepts, it never hurts to be reminded of things such as "experts" aren't always right
Frank Rodrigue
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is interesting as it gives some practical suggestions on how to market your business and your services. Mostly, i find that this book was a great read in the mid-2000's at the essor of the internet. Not that it is not relevant anymore, but that if you want to get an edge, you had to do all that is written in it 10 years ago. Nonetheless, there is still a lot of it that can be used. Worth the read, but not more than once.
Renjith
Oct 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneur , Students
Shelves: business
Would you agree with somebody who says: "The higher you go in most organizations, the thinner the air. The thinner the air, the more difficult it is to find intelligent life" Then you should read it .

Guy brings about an interesting perspective about how to create and market new products .How and why we should defy the conventional notions and follow the gut .

Rebecca
Mar 09, 2013 added it
Shelves: work-related
I was given this book to read from work, and it turned out to be a far more interesting read than I had hoped. Written in 1999, the examples are limited by the time, but it is interesting to see what has changed in the decade-plus since it was written, and how a lot of Mr. Kawasaki's ideas and examples are still applicable today.
Ben Gowler
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Some fantastic quotes on buffoonery, and some really great take away's on targeting customers. Made me think about why we are looking directly at decision makers. Should be marketing to gate keepers and secretaries who are making decisions + marketing our biggest tools for change to medium and small businesses.
Carljoe Javier
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
brilliant book, written in a fun and straightforward manner that piles insight upon insight. why haven't more people read this book? and why haven't more people implemented its ideas? one of those a-ha! i knew it things, like you knew it was right but no one had expressed it before.
Thomas
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the first Guy Kawasaki book I read and I really liked it. It is a quite good framing of what start-up companies should focus on. I have this one a rough list to re-read as I read it when it first came out.
Lanre Dahunsi
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had de javu feeling while reading this book, it was like reading Re-Imagine by Tom Peters all over again. Check out the Top Lessons Learn't from the Rule for Revolutionaries by Guy Kawasaki @ www.lanredahunsi.com. ...more
Waseem
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I cant remember what I rated this book, so I'l give it 5 stars, anything better i'd would have remembered, just migrating my list / bookshelf from that idiot service 'weread' that doesnt work anymore...but anyways...hope to connect with fellow readers :)

Waseem Mirza
Alexey Orap
For me, reading this book was a waste of time, most of its ideas and examples look quite banal these days. (Also, Russian translation is awful).
If you want Kawasaki, read "The Art of the Start" instead.
Katie
Jul 18, 2007 marked it as to-read
Author was a key-note speaker at a conference I was at recently. VERY interesting person. Great outlook. Currently addicted to his blog site as well: blog.guykawasaki.com
Antti Vilpponen
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Guy Kawasaki gives great inside to being a revolutionary in entrepreneurship. I like his style of writing, short quotes and examples from his personal life or from others.
Zach Millar
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting Read from one of the guys who started Apple Computers. Prology Comp useful if you are starting a new technology Company!
Michelle Vostrejs
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for creative, evangelistic, pioneer type people.
Andrew
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
How to be a leader. How to create and sell a product. Eat like a bird and poop like an elephant. Always go analog before going digital.
Grace
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me the courage to just do it!!!!
christine
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Guy is the god of consumer marketing. This is an essential, must-read. If you haven't read it already, you've been living in a cave for the last decade.

• Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up in Business, Even If You Are at the End of Your Roll
  • Growing a Business
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Business Model Generation
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where