Start by marking “The Book of Life: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti” as Want to Read:
The Book of Life: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti

The Book of Life: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti

365 Daily Meditations on Freedom, Personal Transformation, Living Fully, and Much More, from the Man the Dalai Lama Described as "One of the Greatest Thinkers of the Age"
Published May 12th 1995 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Life

Start your review of The Book of Life: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti
Deepak Dhawan
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Helps me keep my sanity in this circus.
Gokul Menon
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Relationship based on mutual need brings only conflict. However interdependent we are on each other, we are using each other for a purpose, for an end. With an end in view, relationship is not. You may use me and I may use you. In this usage, we lose contact. A society based on mutual usage is the foundation of violence. When we use another, we have only the picture of the end to be gained. The end, the gain, prevents relationship, communion. In the usage of another, however gratifying and comfo ...more
Emmanuelle
Jun 21, 2012 is currently reading it
I am completely amazed by this book. To wrap up, the book is an invitation to know and listen to ourselves in order to find equilibrium in life in general. The more I read, the more I realized how socially constructed our lives are. We do things without thinking if they really fit us, sometimes the society requires them to be done in a certain way... I totally recommend it..
Widyarini
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not easy to understand him, for he is from another world.
But to digest and to live up what he said is tremendous bless, if we could only listen.
He is a great and true observer, with wonderful sensitivity and intelligence. I am grateful to him.
Chris
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I have been using this book for a year now and it challenges the conditioned mind afresh each day. Recommended. If you want it free on- line (which I do anyway) get it in a daily email form from JKOnline RSS
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A mind that is dependent can never be free. Pg37

If you destroy desire, you destroy life itself. Pg 52

..Happiness is not a thing to be pursued; it comes. But if you seek it, it will evade you. Pg 96

That which confirms can never flower in goodness. Pg 169

Aloneness..is not isolation. To be completely alone implies that the mind is free of every kind of influence and is therefore uncontaminated by society.." Pg 170

I'm talking about aloneness in which the mind is totally free from the past, and only
Efi
Oct 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
A couple of pages a day, enrich your life and enlighten your life journey.
To be read and to be re-savored.
For an intermediate stage (at least) in the spriritual quest.
Brian Wilcox
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
After attempting reading of other works by the author over the years, including his diary, I did not esteem his work highly. I tend toward finishing books, but did not finish any of Krishnamurti's. After reading other high reviews and accolades of Krishnamurti's teachings and the man himself, I decided to try this work and be open to the possibility that I had not been receptive rightly before to Krishnamurti's teaching.

I found the book to be unlike many I read, as Krishnamurti posits a spellbin
Amber
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply loved it. Krishamurti teachings are the most beautiful and important in the world. He is full of love, compassion and kindness. I feel so grateful and blessed.
Mug Dha
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This - i wouldn't call it a book- these teachings have shown me the way when i asked for directions, have miraculously opened up just the right page to answer that particular nagging question, have helped me feel like somebody knows what i am thinking. This is magic.
David Roberts
A great daily reading book if you don't mind having to go back and re-read phrases, sentences, and paragraphs to be sure that you understand what the author is saying. One of my friends called him 'inscrutable," and I think this is an apt description. I'm pretty sure that I understood at least 80% of what he had to say in this compilation of quotes. Most of the other 20% are likely ideas that can't penetrate my current world-view shell.

This is one of the few daily reading books that I will likel
Gigo
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You really need above-the average mental abilities to understand the full depth of this book, unfortunately at this point of time I have to occasionally skip some parts because I can't follow it. J was colossal thinker (or maybe Im so mediocre?)
Andrei Mellas
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read that book over and over again for over 2 years; now its in the hands of a good friend.
Jesús Sard
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Krishna reborn talking is mort in the Book of Lifė
Kimberly
Made it through at least once, then passed it on to a friend.
Vijay Singh
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while sailing off the coast of France a few years ago. It's a great book. It teaches a lot and makes you think critically about yourself and the world surrounding you.
Marc
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
2 not because of content, but because I just can't get into the "devotional" or "daily/weekly" devotion format of books, especially when the source material so clearly has a narrative/oratory thread to it. Feels like trying to hear something beautiful in a crowded room with three louder people talking right next to you. I think if you're deeply familiar with his work (which is pretty opaque and uncompromising) this would be a nice reminder of the concepts which you've already spent a lot of time ...more
Kiran Prabhu  D P
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jiddu has such a clarity on complex nature of our mind , it makes me contemplate the worthiness of such a mind ! No doubt his writings in this book is both contemplative and also thought provoking but what stands out is the way the subject of , untouched mind , has been dealt throughout the book . If you can become comfortable with his language and his thought process , this book is certainly for you . Because , these work of his are original and coming straight from the Guru , rest assured - it ...more
Ruchi Malhotra
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Will always recommend to read at-least a few books of Jiddu Krishnamurti together. The ones I have already read are "Freedom from the known" and "The First and last Freedom"
He delves into the topic of fear very innately. My best quote from the book " The Mirror is your ultimate relationship".
Ground shifting book!
Krisha Vats
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You can go on reading you will feel like picking it up again and read it some real practical experiences of life and lessons to be grounded... Is nicely given in single 365 pages spread out with dates and months... Awesomely written and collated with perfect flowing thoughts....
Youying
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deep, interesting thoughts are packed on every single page of this book. The downside is that my limited understanding of life restrain how much I can comprehend his ideas. However, I still find my mind refreshed from this book.
Beth
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW...Krishnamurti is so profound and deep. It really takes someone that wants to wake up to life, become aware/mindful in every moment to read this book. It is not for light reading, but for a spiritual path and wisdom/knowledge about life and living. A "Must Read"!!!
Bejoy Kuruvilla
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Krishnamurthi’s genius

This book is a collection of individual gems that string together without being separate, into a necklace of such beauty that makes this life better and worth it.
Sagar
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You have to read one page at a time and REALLY think on what the speaker is saying. You don't have to accept/agree or disagree on what he has said -- just reflect. Do this for an entire year to understand the value of this book.
Hollowaxis
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Some insights in here.. Sort of.
Most of it is exactly the sort of thing very thoughtful westerners might find intriguing, deep or 'spiritual'.

This guy often flat out contradicts himself too. Almost useless.
But not completely so.
ABHIMANYU SHARMA
Very profound and awakening

Try to read one day at a time it will surely change you life for the better and Awaken the mind.
Hardy Artizan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read a page a day slowly and be enriched by the wisdom of a remarkable man.
Navdeep Singh
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insights to basic root of dysfunction

One can really enquire better after reading this book about hidden motives, operation of past, real meaning of preception of what is.
Sk
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read.

"There is only one fact: Impermanence" - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Eric Kalnins
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating, sometimes bemusing, read.

06.50

• You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment
  • Be As You Are
  • Teachings of Ramana Maharshi
  • The Horseman (The West Country Trilogy, #1)
  • What Great Brands Do: The Seven Brand-Building Principles That Separate the Best from the Rest
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance
  • Primed to Perform: How to Build the Highest Performing Cultures Through the Science of Total Motivation
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
  • Fire Sermon
  • Stillness Speaks
  • The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life When Robots Rule the Earth
  • I Sleep at Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets
  • Degas Notebook
  • Seven Years in Tibet
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more