Start by marking “Book of Life, The: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti” as Want to Read:
Book of Life, The: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti

Book of Life, The: Daily Meditations with Krishnamurti

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  611 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
365 Daily Meditations on Freedom, Personal Transformation, Living Fully, and Much More, from the Man the Dalai Lama Described as "One of the Greatest Thinkers of the Age"
Published May 12th 1995 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Book of Life, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Life, The

Deepak Dhawan
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Helps me keep my sanity in this circus.
Jun 21, 2012 is currently reading it
I am completely amazed by this book. To wrap up, the book is an invitation to know and listen to ourselves in order to find equilibrium in life in general. The more I read, the more I realized how socially constructed our lives are. We do things without thinking if they really fit us, sometimes the society requires them to be done in a certain way... I totally recommend it..
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not easy to understand him, for he is from another world.
But to digest and to live up what he said is tremendous bless, if we could only listen.
He is a great and true observer, with wonderful sensitivity and intelligence. I am grateful to him.
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I have been using this book for a year now and it challenges the conditioned mind afresh each day. Recommended. If you want it free on- line (which I do anyway) get it in a daily email form from JKOnline RSS
Oct 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
A couple of pages a day, enrich your life and enlighten your life journey.
To be read and to be re-savored.
For an intermediate stage (at least) in the spriritual quest.
Gokul Menon
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Relationship based on mutual need brings only conflict. However interdependent we are on each other, we are using each other for a purpose, for an end. With an end in view, relationship is not. You may use me and I may use you. In this usage, we lose contact. A society based on mutual usage is the foundation of violence. When we use another, we have only the picture of the end to be gained. The end, the gain, prevents relationship, communion. In the usage of another, however gratifying and comfo ...more
Mug Dha
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This - i wouldn't call it a book- these teachings have shown me the way when i asked for directions, have miraculously opened up just the right page to answer that particular nagging question, have helped me feel like somebody knows what i am thinking. This is magic.
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A mind that is dependent can never be free. Pg37

If you destroy desire, you destroy life itself. Pg 52

..Happiness is not a thing to be pursued; it comes. But if you seek it, it will evade you. Pg 96

That which confirms can never flower in goodness. Pg 169 not isolation. To be completely alone implies that the mind is free of every kind of influence and is therefore uncontaminated by society.." Pg 170

I'm talking about aloneness in which the mind is totally free from the past, and only
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
kata temen saya, penulis kaya gini mah udah kaya dewa, apapun yang diomongin dan ditulis emang bagus karena hidupnya sudah banyak makan garam, tapi kita sebagai orang awam, ya ngerti apa maksudnya tapi gak bisa lantas sok melakukan apa yang disebutnya. Seperti kalo kata orangtua kita menasehati, "jangan malam-malam ya pulangnya nanti sakit", kita anak muda gak langsung gak pulang malam, kudu maen dulu sampe kerasa badan udah gak enak karena sakit, barulah kita mengerti apa maksud orangtua kita i ...more
David Roberts
A great daily reading book if you don't mind having to go back and re-read phrases, sentences, and paragraphs to be sure that you understand what the author is saying. One of my friends called him 'inscrutable," and I think this is an apt description. I'm pretty sure that I understood at least 80% of what he had to say in this compilation of quotes. Most of the other 20% are likely ideas that can't penetrate my current world-view shell.

This is one of the few daily reading books that I will likel
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You really need above-the average mental abilities to understand the full depth of this book, unfortunately at this point of time I have to occasionally skip some parts because I can't follow it. J was colossal thinker (or maybe Im so mediocre?)
Jesús Sard
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Krishna reborn talking is mort in the Book of Lifė
Made it through at least once, then passed it on to a friend.
Andrei Mellas
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read that book over and over again for over 2 years; now its in the hands of a good friend.
Vijay Singh
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while sailing off the coast of France a few years ago. It's a great book. It teaches a lot and makes you think critically about yourself and the world surrounding you.
mr. 阿創
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
2 not because of content, but because I just can't get into the "devotional" or "daily/weekly" devotion format of books, especially when the source material so clearly has a narrative/oratory thread to it. Feels like trying to hear something beautiful in a crowded room with three louder people talking right next to you. I think if you're deeply familiar with his work (which is pretty opaque and uncompromising) this would be a nice reminder of the concepts which you've already spent a lot of time ...more
Ruchi Malhotra
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Will always recommend to read at-least a few books of Jiddu Krishnamurti together. The ones I have already read are "Freedom from the known" and "The First and last Freedom"
He delves into the topic of fear very innately. My best quote from the book " The Mirror is your ultimate relationship".
Ground shifting book!
Beth Moffett
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW...Krishnamurti is so profound and deep. It really takes someone that wants to wake up to life, become aware/mindful in every moment to read this book. It is not for light reading, but for a spiritual path and wisdom/knowledge about life and living. A "Must Read"!!!
Youying Lin
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deep, interesting thoughts are packed on every single page of this book. The downside is that my limited understanding of life restrain how much I can comprehend his ideas. However, I still find my mind refreshed from this book.
Adam McNamara
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Krishnamurti meditates on the most important topics: love, happiness, truth, knowledge, wisdom, and so on. He's insightful to the point of being profound.

The book's format - a short meditation each day - is fantastic. It encourages the reader to consume Krishnamurti's wisdom bit by bit and reflect on it.

However, The Book of Life isn't an easy read. Many of the arguments are nuanced, requiring the reader to pause often for analysis.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
My review is a reflection of the format rather than the content. I thought it would be fun and engaging to have an excerpt from the author for each calendar day. That was not my experience. While some day's passages stood nicely, a good deal of the time I felt I'd be better off just reading a book by the author instead.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Perhaps a good introduction to Krishnamurti's teachings because each daily entry is of a manageable size. It can be good for introducing to students as well fit that reason. However I didn't much like reading him in excerpts. I think it's worth the time to read through his longer talks.
Lizy Campbell
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. It has so much to ponder over they way in which we live and perceive. Its wonderfully written and in short chunks to pause and really think about what it is he was writing in his journal at the time.

Really fantastic perspective.
  • The Taoist I Ching
  • Zen and the Beat Way
  • Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson
  • The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Serpent Power: The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga
  • Raja-Yoga
  • Aspects of the Masculine
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • The Inner Chapters
  • Love, Life, Goethe: Lessons of the Imagination from the Great German Poet
  • A Hermit in the Himalayas: The Journal of a Lonely Exile
  • A Year of Living Consciously: 365 Daily Inspirations for Creating a Life of Passion and Purpose
Jiddu Krishnamurti was born on 11 May 1895 in Madanapalle, a small town in south India. He and his brother were adopted in their youth by Dr Annie Besant, then president of the Theosophical Society. Dr Besant and others proclaimed that Krishnamurti was to be a world teacher whose coming the Theosophists had predicted. To prepare the world for this coming, a world-wide organization called the Order ...more
More about Jiddu Krishnamurti...

Nonfiction Deals

• Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99
  • K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
    $10.49 $1.99
“The world is not something separate from you and me; the world, society, is the relationship that we establish or seek to establish between each other. So you and I are the problem, and not the world, because the world is the projection of ourselves, and to understand the world we must understand ourselves. That world is not separate from us; we are the world, and our problems are the world's problems.” 43 likes
“You only learn when you give your whole being to something. When you give your whole being to mathematics,you learn; but when you are in a state of contradiction, when you do not want to learn but are forced to learn, then it becomes merely a process of accumulation. To learn is like reading a novel with innumerable characters; it requires your full attention, not contradictory attention.” 38 likes