Start by marking “Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 01

Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 01 (Saikano #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Shuji and Chise are high school seniors in a small town who have just started dating, when Shuji discovers that Chise has been engineered by the SDF so that she can transform herself into a powerful weapon. While Shuji and Chise keep trying to nurture their relationship, Chise continues to grow even more powerful as the Ultimate Weapon, and becomes increasingly torn betwee ...more
Published July 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Saikano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saikano

Emmy Lou
Chise and Shuji have just started going out. They both don't know how to act around each other and stress about the little things. One day, their town, Sapporo, is attacked by a foreign nation's air raid. During the raid, a small plane crashes and Shuji chases after it, only to find out it isn't a plane, but a girl with metal wings! The Special Defense Force had taken Chise and developed her into the Ultimate Weapon. The two keep it a secret and continue with their relationship. Chise's frequent ...more
Charles Frayne
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Saikano is not for everybody. If you can imagine having your spirit beaten with a lead pipe made of sadness and tragedy instead of lead, and that experience seems desirable, you might enjoy Saikano.

As long as you can through the story without any sort of emotional breakdown, there's not much to dislike. The art, atmosphere, and story all fit together beautifully, drawing you completely into their world and making the inevitable resolution that much harder to face. The characters feel real, relat
Veronica
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
I giorni nostri, un qualsiasi liceo del Giappone. Una qualsiasi storia d’amore tra due qualsiasi studenti di quel liceo. È così che si apre Lei, l’arma finale, manga in sette volumetti di Shin Takahashi, autore finora sconosciuto a noi occidentali. Shuji, il protagonista maschile è un ragazzo serioso e occhialuto che sembra più grande della sua età; Chise è ingenuotta e drammaticamente imbranata. Verrebbe voglia di proteggerla, la piccola Chise.
Poche pagine e della qualsiasi storia d’amore non r
SPWinchester
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seinen
*LA RECENSIONE RIGUARDA L'INTERA SERIE*
Saikano è a metà tra un seinen ed uno josei ed i temi trattati sono l'amore e la voglia di vivere degli esseri umani, di tutti e nessuno escluso, descritti nelle loro tinte più scure, profonde e graffianti.
Anche se fin dall'inizio la storia d'amore dei protagonisti è costantemente presente, non né è mai il fulcro centrale e di questo ne sono estremamente grata!
La trama non scivola mai nella casualità della fantascienza o del solito concetto di guerra o del
Yoda Bor
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Évacuons d’abord ce qui m’a déplu, je n’ai pas du tout aimé le graphisme des personnages. J’ai notamment trouvé le visage de Shûji très étrange, avec une forme de menton bizarre.

C’est d’autant plus étonnant que Chise est par contre très belle quand elle est sous forme d’arme.

Au niveau scénario, j’ai également eu un sentiment étrange. Chise et Shûji décident qu’ils vont s’aimer et, partant de là et malgré toutes leurs différences, ils ne vont plus s’éloigner de leur objectif.

Chise n’est pas très
VisforVillains
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
An older Manga that never got much attention during it's time, Saikano is actually worth a read. The plot sounds very typical... Chise and Shuji are in high school in a small town and just started dating. Chise is actually a cyborg/robot type being that was engineered by the JSDF to be the ultimate weapon. It sounds very cliche but it stands out where other series sometimes don't. Further throughout the series it gets pretty deep and focuses on the emotional distraught of war from different char ...more
Kelly
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Saikano is one of those stories that really requires you to let go... especially if you're one of those readers who is not used to sci-fi romance/drama. Yes, this is a cute, budding love story between two teenagers. One of them just happens to be a transformer Ultimate Weapon for the Japanese defense force.
What makes this story great is how believable this plot line actually is. It's in the "near future," so war is not surprising, and the initial steps for Shuji and Chise's relationship are ver
kunaom
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
เวลาคนเปนแฟนกัน เขาตองทำอะไรกันบางนะ?
เออ..จริงนะ เปนคนทีคิดไมออก บอกไมถูก นึกคำตอบไมไดเชนกัน คนเปนแฟนกันเขาตองทำไงบางหวา? อาจเพราะในชีวิตนีเรามีแคชวงเวลาของการแอบๆรักคนเดียวเทานันอะ ไปไมถึงขันรัก..กันแบบคนอืนเขาเสียที 555 TvT

การตูนเรืองนี เขากเริมมาแบบนัน คนทีเปนแฟนกันตองทำไงบาง ถาคุณคิดวาคำถามแคนันไมเหนจะตองไปคิดมากอะไรเลย เออใช ถาเปนแคเดกวัยรุน คนหนุมสาวธรรมดากคงไมตองคิดหนัก... แตสำหรับพวกเขาแลว สำหรับพระ-นางของเรืองนีมันหนักโคตรๆ แมจะเคยอานมาแลว (นาจะนานเกือบจะสิบปี) กยังอึดอัดกับบรรยากาศของเ
Matt
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have never read a manga novel before and this was my first. It may be a long time before I read my second.

I can safely say that manga just isn't my thing. I can certainly appreciate the great artwork and storytelling involved but it just didn't resonate. I was never a comic book kid either.. my interest has always involved the written word. Saikano is a great story and I can see why it is popular. Please do not let my personal thoughts impact your decision to read this book. If graphic novels
Ryu
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just as the title says, sad story. It's depressing, so if you are into that kind of story like I am, this is definitely for you. Poor Chise is so shy and timid, but she is given such power. The story is about how she manages with this new power and her love for Shuji. She struggles so much, and to be honest, I don't think anyone is really there to help her. Shuji in my opinion is rather pathetic. That's what I have to say about that.
Keripoof
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chicks
Shelves: yeah
everything. I cry everytime i read the end and at about 6 points inbetween. It's about humanity, the end of the world, love and a thousand other things. It's something I absolutley think every single person ever should read. Oh and there are 7 volumes to the story but im not going to add every one.Anyways, i tell people they should read it but no one does. I really, honestly, think it's important that everyone read this.
Joao
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-over
Et si vous appreniez que votre petite copine est une arme de destruction massive du gouvernement? Comment réagir face à l'évolution autonome de son armement qui, peu à peu, lui fait perdre son humanité?

Saikano nous propose une histoire d'amour improbable entre un garçon normal et une fille d'apparence fragile mais au lourd fardeau. Entre hésitations, amour et devoir, quelle sera l'issue de cette romance impossible d'un couple qui veut exister?
Elis
3 tomos de 7 leídos. Me aventuré a ir comprándome el manga por el gran anime que tiene, y he de decir que hay ratos que me encanta y hay ratos que no me parece para tanto.. De todos modos, estoy deseando hacerme con los cuatro tomos restantes y darle una mejor valoración al conjunto del manga.
Lirie
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-comics
Leídos 4/7 y mi paciencia tiene un límite. La historia está más trillada que la ropa tendida y parece una competición entre los protagonistas parar ver quién es más insoportable. Tonto él, lerda ella. Fin.
[Ahí, que se me nota bien el cabreo]
Feather Mista
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta historia es más triste que aquella que Pinky y Cerebro habían escrito con el objetivo de deprimir a los presidentes del mundo para que les entregaran el mundo. Un manga bastante perturbador y con una onda melanco como no vi en casi ningún otro lado.
Kalen Soto
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
La historia de amor más intensa que he visto en mi vida! Y más que eso, yo creo que es encontrar otros aspectos en alguna persona especial que en momentos complicados, como los que Chise y Shuji vivieron en su país, te hacen llegar a amarla justo cuando menos lo esperas.
Leandro Guimarães
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Way too violent & desperate. Yet has some beauty.
patricerussell
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Never read it sounds interesting
Alice
Aug 13, 2014 added it
Shelves: favorites, 2014, manga
I spend so much time ... and is still one of my favorites ...
Jfk Teens
An anonymous teen Recommends:

Saikano by Shin Takahashi

Read it and find out . . .
Kimberly
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the saddest bittersweet stories. Chise and shuji fight all odds when chise is turned into a human weapon to fight into the war. It wil have you grabbing tissue box after tissue box.
Lord
  • The Voices of a Distant Star
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 3
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 4
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2: Surprise Party (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #2)
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 7
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • Chobits, Vol. 7
Shin Takahashi (高橋しん, originally 高橋 真 Takahashi Shin?, born September 8, 1967) is a Japanese manga artist best known for writing Saikano (She, the Ultimate Weapon) and Iihito. He was born in Shibetsu, Hokkaidō on September 8, 1967.
He has been using computer graphics in his works since the time when few manga artists were able to use them.
More about Shin Takahashi...

Saikano (7 books)