Start by marking “If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1)

If You Dare

(MacCarrick Brothers #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  11,396 Ratings  ·  516 Reviews
Kresley Cole introduces a thrilling new romance trilogy featuring fierce Scottish brothers with dangerous lives, dark desires, and a deadly curse.

Can he exact revenge?

High in the Pyrenees, a band of mercenaries led by Courtland MacCarrick wages war for General Reynaldo Pascal. When Court turns on the evil general, Pascal orders him killed, but Court narrowly escapes and ex
Mass Market Paperback, 349 pages
Published May 1st 2005 by Pocket Books (first published April 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about If You Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Dare

Laura the Highland Hussy
2.5
Wow, where to begin. Okay, obviously, at the beginning. If this book weren't written by Kresley Cole, one of my absolute favorite authors of all time, I would not have finished it. About page 65 or so, I hated the heroine's idiocy and thought our Alpha male hero was just a jackass rather than an Alpha.

I am glad I finished it because around page 250 or so I began to like the book. Why such the gap? I can't be sure, but I feel like our idiotic heroine and our jerk of a hero became two separate
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance fans and all Kresley Cole fans!
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Lady Leah *Silk Desire* Westcliff and Sam *Black Velvet*
WHAT EVERY GOOD HISTORICAL ROMANCE NEEDS:

- A virile and masculine hero who is incredibly dangerous, stubborn and a tease. Must be at least six feet plus (obviously). Add in battle scars and he becomes the sexiest man alive! CHECK!

- A strong and relatable heroine who is smart and can turn on the charm CHECK!

- Beautiful settings CHECK!

- Two bonus brothers who are equally, if not more , sexy than the hero. The reasoning here is that three is better than one! Duh. CHEECCK!

And most importantly,
- The
~IreneOust~
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loved this book!! LOVED IT!!! Kresley Cole writes some of THE best male characters and her female leads possess all the qualities I require in order for me to enjoy the book - they are smart, funny, independent, sexy and in most cases 100% badass!! If you read and loved Kresley's Game Maker Series, you will absolutely ADORE her MacCarrick Brothers Series. Think macho/alpha male but in a HIGHLANDER form!! Trust me, it doesn't get any more macho or any more alpha than this!! Throw in Kresley's s
Juliana Philippa
Reminded me why I love romance - and romance heroes especially - oh so very much! (4.5 stars)

Wow. This book was an amazing read and came at just the time when I really needed an HR winner. I bought this book awhile ago, but just couldn't commit to reading it. I was convinced from some of the summaries that the heroine was a TSTL spoiled brat who would annoy me to no end and having never read Kresley Cole but knowing that she writes pretty sizzling stories, I was afraid it would be choc a bloc fu
Iliada

What a lovely book!!! I loved, loved, loved this one!!!

I wanted to read a medieval historical romance with Highlanders, so I picked this one up, because it's written by Kresley Cole and I love her Immortals After Dark series. Well, this is not a medieval HR, lol. It is set in 1856, I don't know how I missed that, but I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did!

If you read other reviews, you'll see that most readers didn't like the characters. It's true that they weren't the most likea
Mojca
I hated the heroine in this one. Hated her! She was the worst heroine I've read about so far. Prejudiced, haughty, opinionated...The only saving grace was the obvious love she held for her brother, willing to do anything to save him, although that one safely landed her in the TSTL pile.

The entire book was a bit silly, if you ask me. The heroine kept ending up in one mess after another, and for a person so "educated" and of "so elevated rank", she didn't appear to have any brain cells at all.
The
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I'd heard some "bad" things about the heroine of this book before I started reading it, so I was "prepared" to sigh and roll my eyesballs a lot while going through it. As it turned out, I only did it once! :) Yes, Annalía was obnoxious towards Court and did some stupid things, but I understood her reasons and, quite frankly, he was partly responsible for her acting like that.

Court wasn't one of the best heroes I've ever met either. I didn't really connect with him, and I thought he was quite dis
hayledie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kresley ablamızla buram buram iskoç, alfa, yakuşuklu piç kokan bir kitap vasıtasıyla tanışmam demek ne demek biliyor musunuz? Bu kitabın üzerine diğer seriyi okursam da sevmezsem yazarı gebertirim demek.

Umutlar ve beklentiler allahuekber dağlarını aşmış bulunmakta.

Buralara küçük bir edit ekleyeyim; kitaptaki kadın karakterin masumluğu harika yansıtılmış. Ya tabii ilk defa virgin okumuyoruz da kim adam gibi yansıtabildi o virgin saflığını? Al işte mis gibi yazmış ya kadın. Bir ara ciddi ciddi gu
Zoe
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Pleasantly surprised. The plots are so so. But Courtland definitely has his moments. Heroine is rather plain as a character. This book kept my interest though. I thought with such tried plots and a relationship that seems to build on sex, the book managed a lot than most romances.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
*Might contain spoilers*
Review posted: 10.07.2016
She weighed no more than a feather as he lifted her, but he teased her, saying, “You weigh more than you look.”
“You are weaker than you look,” she immediately whispered.

Story: Beaten to the core Courtland MacCarrick barely escapes general Pascal's kill order by throwing himself into the river. By the river is where Lady Annalía Tristán Llorente finds Court nearly unconscious. She decides to save him, so she brings him to her home, where she nu
RJ
DNF @ 50%

I am having the worst luck with books these past couple weeks but this is another DNF.

Everyone just annoyed the crap out of me. The heroine is haughty and arrogant and it didn't annoy me as much as some other reviewers but she still isn't one of my favs.

The hero on the other hand...I felt like bitch slapping him multiple times

description

Gosh, so unbelievably rude, arrogant, and tactless. The h goes to him to ask for help since she just learned her brother has been kidnapped and he demands her bod
Zeek
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good start to a series!

Deeply sensual, Cole writes a steamy romantic story! I wasn't sure at first what I thought about the hero of IYD, Courtland MacCarrick, as he came off stubborn, hard nosed and a bit of jerk. And too, Annalia Tristan Llorente, the heroine, seemed too proud and bound by societal stricture- I just wasn't sure how these two would ever get together.

But I soon found out they were more than they seemed, and that, as well as writing heated romantic scenes, the author knows how to
Carolyn F.
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Danette had warned me this book was frustrating for the first half and boy was it. I wanted to strangle Anna! How many ways could Courtland try to be nice to her and her keep tricking him over and over. Then she FINALLY changes her mind. It was almost too little too late but the ending was very romantic and sweet which made up slightly for the first half, but only slightly. I like a little trepidation, but this was over the top.
Leah
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Saly
Keri
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful kick of to a awesome trilogy! Courtland MacCarrick is a cursed man. So maybe he has taken a few more chances than most men. But when he is rescued from a river by a beautiful golden haired maiden with a sexy spanish accent, his luck may be changing.

Annalia for her part wished she would have thrown the huge, shaggy headed Scot right back in the water. He proceeds to take over her life giving her all these demands, making her feel and want things that she knows is no good for her
Erin
4.5 STARS!!!

I've heard bad things about the Heroine,Annalía Llorente, and i can see why--AT THE BEGINNING.
Most complain she was 'self absorbed' and 'high and mighty' and i can say yes, she was, at the beginning-yet she (at the beginning, showed compassion toward her higlander guest, when she finds him injured beside a river, she carry's him with the help of her trusty sted aka a small pony Ilamba(Correct me if the spellings wrong).
She GROWS as a human being and some of the reviewers seemed to h
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
This was not my first Kresley Cole, but it was my first HR by her. And she didn’t disappoint. Almost immediately you could feel that special Cole something that she seems to be able to bring to all her books. Dare I say this was my first Highlander story – hmm....well -
ME LIKEY THE HIGHLANDERS!

This story had everything – yummy gruff highlander and two equally yummy brothers and a heroine that didn’t piss me off every other paragraph. FINALLY a woman who wanted her man.

I absolutely refuse to wri
Stacey
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I don't normally read any kind of romance unless there is a pretty strong paranormal element to the story. The only reason why I gave If You Dare a try is because it was penned by Kresley Cole. I was hoping this story would have the usual snark I've come to appreciate in Ms. Cole's characters. And I got it!

Courtland MacCarrick is a highland mercenary (who likes high lands)who just so happened to pick the wrong side of a fight. He's your typical arrogant, hot, head-strong, hot, tough-as-n
Livia Winata
IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL MISTAKE

I never knew I would like this book. I usually don't undertake historical NOR erotic novel. Let's say I was doing some experiments to myself, especially my mood. I kept feel sorry reading it. Half of the book was really desperation. I've just realized that it was me that make the whole situation of my reading difficult.

It's just A GOOD STORY. The erotica was such a delightful reading. I'm not naive so I should say it's satisfying. I like the whole story especially the
Kate
Points given for the unusual plot, setting, and smart-ish heroine.

Alas, nothing particularly special or memorable. It wasn't light or lovable enough to comparable to Julie garwood or Amanda quick...

Nor was it dense and enthralling enough as say, Judith McNaught.

Instead it was in a murky place between the two, that I just didn't find all that enjoyable.

But, if you're in the mood for a sexy highlander in exotic locations, go for it. This just wasn't a favorite of mine.
Heather C
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into this one. It turned out to be really cute story. I was really confused about the curse and what it projected, but I think the MacCarricks didn't really understand it either. I plan to read the others in the series.
Beatrix
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Beatrix by: Harley Quinn

After 5% I knew this would be good! Really really good writing and exciting plot.
Thank you for the recommendation, Azra!
Sana Zameer
Seems like Kresley Cole can do no wrong. I loved her Arcana Chronicles and Immortals after Dark Series and I really enjoyed the first book of this historical series. An alpha highlander and an arrogant, judgemental heroine, though she did redeemed herself in the end. With lots of angst, action and steam.
KatieV
I had read the last book in the trilogy - If You Deceive - due to seeing it rec'd over and over as a great revenge book. I did enjoy that one immensely but thought this one was almost as good.

I liked both the hero and the heroine. Although, at first, Court was a real ass.

He resented the fact that he was so attracted to a woman who was above his station and who showed him quite a bit of contempt. However, Annalia's contempt was very reasonable in my opinion.

Annalia had been raised in a very shel
Katherine 黄爱芬
Court, tentara bayaran dr Skotlandia, terluka parah dan ditolong oleh seorang gadis di Andorra. Annalia adalah gadis bangsawan setempat, entah insting darimana utk merawat luka2 Court.

Ternyata yg kemudian terjadi, Court bukannya membalas budi pada Annalia, eh malah selalu memandang mesum setiap kali melihat gadis itu. Ketika gadis itu minta tolong dgn merayu Court utk membebaskan kakak semata wayangnya, Aleix, Court malah menghina Annalia.

Hal ini menyebabkan Annalia shock dan sepenuhnya yakin ma
Natasha
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with the MacCarrick Brothers!
I first read Ethan's story, which is the third and final novel in the MacCarrick brothers trilogy and was amazed that I went this long without reading it. Although I love all the brothers, my favorite is Ethan. *swoons* Okay enough of him. I have to talk about another thumbs up love story.
Courtland 'aka Court', was if possible even more brutally honest and unpolished. That's not his usual way with woman, but Annalía just brings it out in him. He feels s
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I have read all Kresley Coles paranormal romance books (which I loved) so decided to read her historical books, and I was not dissappointed.

I really liked the main characters in the book, Courtland and Annalia. I know that alot of people don't seem to like her, but I thought she was funny and interesting. Although she was aloof and snobby and had a prejudice against Highlanders, I think that it was understandable giving her circumstances. I thought some of teh best scenes in teh book was when sh
Catherine
I bought this book because I really enjoy Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Someone recommended that I try the MacCarrick Brothers trilogy because it is supposedly some of her best historical work. If this is an example of her best historical work I'm definitely better off not reading anymore of them.

What was up with Anna in this story? Her personality was so grating and she did such stupid things. Through out most of the book she loathed Court. Now I can understand this as I found him
Nicci
Oct 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: authors-to-avoid
Liam called out in a bored tone, "Court, there's a pitchfork rebellion here to see you."
"What?"
"A collection of doddering old men, torches, and farm tools. I fear for our safety and advise fleeing posthaste."

Despite some very funny lines, this isn't a very good story. The character developement is poor and they are hard to relate to. This curse nonsense isn't properly explained and is all in all just odd. This story lacks flow or key scenes to keep the readers interest. The above quote did have
Immortals After Dark: MacCarrick series 10 93 Oct 25, 2016 06:21AM
what do i read?? 3 13 Jul 15, 2015 11:02AM
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
Kresley Cole is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the electrifying Immortals After Dark paranormal series, the young adult Arcana Chronicles series, the erotic Gamemakers series, and five award-winning historical romances.

A master’s grad and former athlete, she has traveled over much of the world and draws from those experiences to create her memorable characters and settings.
Her IAD bo

MacCarrick Brothers (3 books)
  • If You Desire (MacCarrick Brothers, #2)
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)
“Now you're just being silly. He's a mercenary- he's not going to go about penning love letters, and really, what would he write? 'Anna...love you...grrr?'" Olivia to Annalia” 91 likes
“She weighed no more than a feather as he lifted her, but he teased her, saying, "You weigh more than you look."
"You are weaker than you look," she immediately whispered.”
23 likes