Jump to ratings and reviews

Saving Savanna

Devan can't help but blame God for his wife's death, so the last thing he wants to do this holiday season is celebrate. But when his daughter, Savanna, makes a special Christmas wish, their little family will never be the same. Filled with faith and tenderness, this heartwarming story is sure to remind you of the real power behind the magic of Christmas.

16 pages, Paperback

First published October 9, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sara Fitzgerald

16 books29 followers
Sara Fitzgerald has her own zany American Eskimo dog, a “meramazing” daughter, a computer geek husband, and lots of Avon boxes her family has to skirt around during their hectic lives.
In 2006, she earned Writer of the Year for the League of Utah Writers and is a multi-published, award-winning author. She loves her family, writing, selling Avon, and favorite shade of lipstick—Avon’s Triple Pink.

sarafitzgeraldbooks.com

Available on Amazon

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews
Profile Image for Aimee (Getting Your Read On).
2,931 reviews242 followers
October 16, 2012
This was less like a book and more like a booklet. It is a super quick read that will put your mind and heart in the Christmas spirit for sure. If the sweet pleas of a young, innocent child cannot touch your heart, I'm not sure what can.

Saving Savannah was the perfect reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. Within it's short pages you will find warmth and love. It certainly left me with a good feeling and put me right in the mood to get Christmas started! I love the magic of Christmas.

This would be a perfect gift for friends and neighbors this holiday season.
64 reviews2 followers
October 13, 2012
Saving Savanna is a sweet and tender Christmas story that reminds us what Christmas is all about.

It is a reminder that the saving Grace of our Savior is for all of us, the wounded as well as the sinner.

It belongs in every Christmas short story collection. It only took minutes to read, yet I was caught up in the lives of this family. I'd like to read more.
Profile Image for Stanalei.
Author 11 books58 followers
September 25, 2020
Sara Fitzgerald did a wonderful job writing about the heartache and pain when a relationship struggles to return the love the couple so desperately wants and needs.
I was provided an ARC for review.
Profile Image for Andrea.
693 reviews13 followers
February 16, 2015
The pain of losing a parent was horrible enough at the age of 33. I can't imagine having it happen at the mere age of 5. How do you explain that to a young child?

Devan has been struggling with his faith since his wife was brutally taken away from him and his daughter. It doesn't seem fair that God would do this to them, especially not a just and loving God. He cannot understand that everything happens for a reason, even if we don't understand it. It's hard for him to function, even though he needs to be there for his young daughter.

Sometimes, all it takes is one significant event to bring everything back into perspective. His revelation may surprise you and will definitely make your eyes moist.

This is a short story, only 16 pages long. But it is a powerful one.

I received a complimentary copy of this story in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Anna del C. Dye.
Author 31 books256 followers
October 31, 2012
Sarah paints an emotional tale about a little girl Savanna, who wants her mother to come back to life for Christmas. The father, Devan, is having a crisis of his own with his religious beliefs and doesn’t know how to help his daughter understand that that her dream is not possible.
On Christmas Eve, Savanna insists on going to her grandparents’ church for the Nativity re-enactment. While there, her father tries to figure out a way he can leave and come back later for his five-year-old girl. What he receives instead is the inspiration he needs at the feet of baby Jesus.
This tale is well written. It is sweet, clean, and short. This is a heart felt story to warm up your holidays. I consider it a must have in every home. Happy readings.
Profile Image for Christy.
Author 13 books50 followers
October 2, 2012
Saving Savannah by Sara Fitzgerald is a tender Christmas story that will bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your heart as you read. Devan Smith clings to the bitterness he feels at his wife’s death. The innocent sweetness of his daughter Savanna wedges itself into every fiber of his being. His family tries to love and support him. But neither can chip away at the hate he feels for the drunk driver that killed his beloved—until something surprising and unnerving happens at the Nativity program on Christmas Eve.
This book will make a wonderful Christmas gift, and the memory of the story will keep on giving throughout the year.
Profile Image for Heidi.
2,610 reviews52 followers
October 8, 2012
A tender story of loss, love, and faith, Saving Savanna touched my heart. It amazed me how much depth Fitzgerald fit into 16 pages. Because of the shortness of the book there weren't very many details provided and so the book felt rushed. The changes Devan makes definitely seem rushed. But the story makes up for the lack of detail with lots of heart. Savanna, Devan's five-year-old daughter is adorable and provides the impetus that leads Devan to face the loss of his wife's death. But it's not until he visits the Nativity Pageant with Savanna that something happens to lead him back to God. I recommend this as a quick tender read about love and faith.
Profile Image for Ruth Hill.
1,115 reviews639 followers
October 31, 2012
This is a simple book that deals with a serious topic. I think that if you have a child who is aged about four to eight or nine, this is the ideal holiday book. Especially if they have experienced the loss of a parents, close family member, or friend. This is a great reminder of the true meaning of Christmas and how God can heal our hearts no matter what the hurt is--if we let Him. And this book is written in such a way that everyone will understand and relate.

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.
Profile Image for Colleen.
103 reviews1 follower
November 2, 2012
This book is short and sweet (only 9 pages of story line). Devan struggles to make sense of his life now that his wife has been gone for 7 months. His adorable daughter Savanna is full of questions about where her mother is and if she is in Heaven.
This is a good Christmas short you can share with your children, parents, siblings, especially those who have lost loved ones and are finding it hard to adjust. I truly believe that children are there to help us grow, just as much as we are there for them. Read this book this holiday season and follow Savanna's example to just have faith, and give love to those who may have lost their way.
Profile Image for Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa).
2,182 reviews169 followers
October 9, 2012
This is the first Christmas that Savanna and her dad have had to live through after the death of her mother.

Savanna is five and not fully comprehending that she will not be with her mother again on Earth. Her Christmas wish is to see her mommy again.

Savanna's dad is holding on to his grief. He really doesn't know how to let go of it and give Savanna the Christmas that she needs.

This story is short and touching. It is a reminder about the reason that we celebrate Christmas... Christ and the love that he has for all of us.
Profile Image for Shauna.
975 reviews23 followers
November 27, 2012
Christmas books have a way of getting into your heart...
This one is WONDERFUL!
Devan has lost his wife and doesn't want to get into the celebration of Christmas.
But...
He has a little girl, Savanna, needs him and she needs Christmas.
As Devan attends the Christmas pageant he feels his wife close to him And she is sending him a message...
Can Devan forgive and move on so that he can "Save Savanna..."
Profile Image for Diane Tolley.
Author 23 books42 followers
November 1, 2012
Saving Savanna is the story of one little girl's Christmas wish. And the faith and understanding that make her wish come true. Tenderly, sweetly told, Saving Savanna is sure to be a perennial Christmas favourite with young and old alike.
Profile Image for Sara Fitzgerald.
Author 16 books29 followers
November 12, 2012
MY BOOK SO I LOVED IT
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Violet.
305 reviews10 followers
December 11, 2012
Thanks to Goodreads and Sara Fitzgerald for the book Saving Savanna.

A heart warming short story,you do not want to miss.
5,270 reviews
November 19, 2012
A sweet little story about the true meaning of Christmas. A wonderful reminder.
Profile Image for Teri.
1,353 reviews
December 4, 2012
I am noticing a lot of dead or dying people in these Christmas booklets I am reading. This one has a murdered mother.:( The message is good, I just didn't enjoy it as much as some others I have read.
Profile Image for Brittany.
159 reviews
December 10, 2012
Only took a few seconds to read with it being so short but it was heartbreaking and beautiful!
Profile Image for Malvina.
1,332 reviews9 followers
December 17, 2015
A widower with a young daughter is reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. Short, sweet and thoughtful.
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.