Start by marking “Saving Savanna” as Want to Read:
Saving Savanna

Saving Savanna

Devan can't help but blame God for his wife's death, so the last thing he wants to do this holiday season is celebrate. But when his daughter, Savanna, makes a special Christmas wish, their little family will never be the same. Filled with faith and tenderness, this heartwarming story is sure to remind you of the real power behind the magic of Christmas.
Published October 9th 2012 by Sweetwater Books

To ask other readers questions about Saving Savanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Savanna

Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was less like a book and more like a booklet. It is a super quick read that will put your mind and heart in the Christmas spirit for sure. If the sweet pleas of a young, innocent child cannot touch your heart, I'm not sure what can.

Saving Savannah was the perfect reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. Within it's short pages you will find warmth and love. It certainly left me with a good feeling and put me right in the mood to get Christmas started! I love the magic of Christmas.

This w
Maryellen
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do you have 15 minutes? If you don't, make time. Read this. In 15 minutes time and 9 pages this author, Sara Fitzgerald, tells the story of Devon and his young daughter, Savannah, and how the tragic loss of their beloved wife and mother, Vivian, leads them to ultimately find the magic of Christmas. What a beautiful message.

I won this book as a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. And I'm so grateful that I won!
MaryAnn Dennis
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Saving Savanna is a sweet and tender Christmas story that reminds us what Christmas is all about.

It is a reminder that the saving Grace of our Savior is for all of us, the wounded as well as the sinner.

It belongs in every Christmas short story collection. It only took minutes to read, yet I was caught up in the lives of this family. I'd like to read more.
Andrea
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The pain of losing a parent was horrible enough at the age of 33. I can't imagine having it happen at the mere age of 5. How do you explain that to a young child?

Devan has been struggling with his faith since his wife was brutally taken away from him and his daughter. It doesn't seem fair that God would do this to them, especially not a just and loving God. He cannot understand that everything happens for a reason, even if we don't understand it. It's hard for him to function, even though he ne
Anna del C. Dye
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sarah paints an emotional tale about a little girl Savanna, who wants her mother to come back to life for Christmas. The father, Devan, is having a crisis of his own with his religious beliefs and doesn’t know how to help his daughter understand that that her dream is not possible.
On Christmas Eve, Savanna insists on going to her grandparents’ church for the Nativity re-enactment. While there, her father tries to figure out a way he can leave and come back later for his five-year-old girl. What
Heidi
A tender story of loss, love, and faith, Saving Savanna touched my heart. It amazed me how much depth Fitzgerald fit into 16 pages. Because of the shortness of the book there weren't very many details provided and so the book felt rushed. The changes Devan makes definitely seem rushed. But the story makes up for the lack of detail with lots of heart. Savanna, Devan's five-year-old daughter is adorable and provides the impetus that leads Devan to face the loss of his wife's death. But it's not un ...more
Christy
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Saving Savannah by Sara Fitzgerald is a tender Christmas story that will bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your heart as you read. Devan Smith clings to the bitterness he feels at his wife’s death. The innocent sweetness of his daughter Savanna wedges itself into every fiber of his being. His family tries to love and support him. But neither can chip away at the hate he feels for the drunk driver that killed his beloved—until something surprising and unnerving happens at the Nativity progr ...more
Ruth Hill
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
This is a simple book that deals with a serious topic. I think that if you have a child who is aged about four to eight or nine, this is the ideal holiday book. Especially if they have experienced the loss of a parents, close family member, or friend. This is a great reminder of the true meaning of Christmas and how God can heal our hearts no matter what the hurt is--if we let Him. And this book is written in such a way that everyone will understand and relate.

I was sent a copy of this book in
Colleen
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is short and sweet (only 9 pages of story line). Devan struggles to make sense of his life now that his wife has been gone for 7 months. His adorable daughter Savanna is full of questions about where her mother is and if she is in Heaven.
This is a good Christmas short you can share with your children, parents, siblings, especially those who have lost loved ones and are finding it hard to adjust. I truly believe that children are there to help us grow, just as much as we are there for
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is the first Christmas that Savanna and her dad have had to live through after the death of her mother.

Savanna is five and not fully comprehending that she will not be with her mother again on Earth. Her Christmas wish is to see her mommy again.

Savanna's dad is holding on to his grief. He really doesn't know how to let go of it and give Savanna the Christmas that she needs.

This story is short and touching. It is a reminder about the reason that we celebrate Christmas... Christ and the love
Shauna
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Christmas books have a way of getting into your heart...
This one is WONDERFUL!
Devan has lost his wife and doesn't want to get into the celebration of Christmas.
But...
He has a little girl, Savanna, needs him and she needs Christmas.
As Devan attends the Christmas pageant he feels his wife close to him And she is sending him a message...
Can Devan forgive and move on so that he can "Save Savanna..."
Diane Tolley
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Saving Savanna is the story of one little girl's Christmas wish. And the faith and understanding that make her wish come true. Tenderly, sweetly told, Saving Savanna is sure to be a perennial Christmas favourite with young and old alike.
Violet
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads and Sara Fitzgerald for the book Saving Savanna.

A heart warming short story,you do not want to miss.
Teri
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, christmas
I am noticing a lot of dead or dying people in these Christmas booklets I am reading. This one has a murdered mother.:( The message is good, I just didn't enjoy it as much as some others I have read.
Amy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A sweet little story about the true meaning of Christmas. A wonderful reminder.
Sara Fitzgerald
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Brittany
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Only took a few seconds to read with it being so short but it was heartbreaking and beautiful!
Malvina
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A widower with a young daughter is reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. Short, sweet and thoughtful.
Evelyn
Dec 24, 2016
Cherie Nef
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay for the school library.
Jennie

• The Second Daughter
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Pingo and the Playground Bully
  • The Road to Mercy
  • How to Lose Weight in Your Sleep: Easy No Diet Weight Loss Secrets to Be at Your Dream Weight
  • Prepare
  • For What It's Worth
  • The Warlock (Waterspell, #1)
  • The Color of Snow
  • It's a Catastrophe
  • Count Down to Love
  • Secrets of the Red Box
  • The Cornerstone
  • Love's Providence
  • Caller ID
  • Sandwich, with a Side of Romance (Sandwich #1)
  • The Secret of Emotions (Love, Lust and the Longing for God #1)
Sara Fitzgerald has a daughter with autism and was involved in getting the S.B 57 Autism Services Amendments passed. Sara was named Writer of the Year by the League of Utah Writers in 2006. She is also the author of the Christmas Story, Saving Savanna.

She lives with her husband and daughter in the Rocky Mountains. She enjoys spending time with her family.

Other Titles by Sara Fitzgerald