Start by marking “Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs

Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs

(Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs)

When Flinn discovers a pirate hiding in the school supply closet, it's all aboard, me hearties, for a real live pirate adventure! Captain Stubble needs Flinn's help to find his stolen ship, but there are some mean pirate dinosaurs on the loose, and Flinn and his friends soon sail into trouble....Will fearless Flinn be able to captain the ship and defeat the pirate dinosaur ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs

midnightfaerie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My whole family loved this book. A wonderful story that mixes dinosaurs with pirates and has beautiful illustrations, we devoured this book over and over again. It even has a snakes and ladders game in the back of the book to play which we loved.(I highly recommend following the directions and wearing pirate hats) Highly recommended!
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
PIRATE DINOSAURS! What else needs to be said!
Big Book Little Book
Like most children, my daughter is fascinated by both dinosaurs and pirates so a book that has 'Pirate Dinosaurs' was certain to catch her eye! Along with, Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs: Missing Treasure and Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs: Magic Cutlass this book made up the Story Treasure Chest compilation.

All three books start off with Flinn and his friends at school or on a school trip when, through natural curiosity they get warped into a world where Pirate Dinosaurs rule th
Sarah Hutchinson
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Jennifer  Davis
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My 6 year old son recently borrowed this book from out local library.

Flinn loves dinosaurs and pirates. One day at school, he was coloring a new dinosaur picture, but didn't have enough markers. His teacher told him to look in the supply closet for some more. While in the supply closet he notices a noise. He looked around for the noise and noticed that there was something shaking under an old curtain. He lifted up the curtain and found a real pirate captain. The pirate needed Flinn's help to fi
Rafiq
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is an excellent book that is about a boy named Flynn who discovers a pirate who seeks helps to get his pirate ship back from dinosaurs who are pirates, they all go on a swashbuckling adventure to defeat the great dinosaur pirates.
I used this book in a year 1 class and the kids loved it, anything with dinosaurs would get the kids motivated and completely engaged. We spent a week in literacy on this book from creating a fantasy setting to dressing up as pirates an using this theme in our asse
Beth
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Class read - 12.04.16

I think I enjoyed it more than my class did...
My class found some of the vocabulary difficult (e.g. cutlass) and thought it was a bit strange that they left the school closet and ended up finding pirates. They found that very confusing.

There were opportunities for inference questions but my class were definitely not ready in year one for this at all. There were some children, who have strong English, enjoyed this but I think children, who struggle, as a result of EAL, I fel
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: K-5
Personal reflection:
Flinn, a dinosaur loving and imaginative child, finds himself transported from the classroom supply closet to a pirate ship with his friends and Captain Stubble! The captain has lost his ship but to who? Dinosaurs! Captain Flinn sails on a adventure to find Captain Stubble's boat and defeat the ferocious dinosaur pirates!
This book is fun to show students they can use their imaginations to make their pictures and writing can become anything! Thi
Skye Kilaen
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
PIRATES AND DINOSAURS! It's like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups of books! It was so popular at our house that one of Boy Detective's school teachers asked to borrow it. Truth be told, I was laughing as much as the kids. Well of course Captain Stubble is crying because dinosaurs stole his pirate ship! And of course Flinn and his school friends, who find the Captain in the back of their classroom's supply closet, are the only ones who can help! What doesn't make sense about that? The art is kid-li ...more
Becky B
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Flinn runs out of pens to color his dinosaur drawing and on his trip to the supply closet runs into a marooned pirate captain whose ship has been stolen. Flinn can't leave a pirate in need just sitting there, so he and his friends take the handy door that opens to the ocean with Captain Stubble. Little does Flinn realize that the ship has been captured not just by pirates, but by dinosaur pirates and it will take an epic battle to reclaim Stubble's ship.

A rollicking adventurous tale that will le
Kristen
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, dinosaurs
This was a cute book. The story was really engaging and fun to read out loud. It had a lot of action and bright colorful images. My daughter really liked when the Dinosaurs showed up and she roared every time a dino roared. =) I was disappointed that the dinos weren't in the story for very long.

This story is very much along the lines of Narnia, where the enter this amazing world through a closet, and then come back through. I enjoyed it and so did my 1.5 year old daughter.
Cindy
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cindy by: cindy.carlson@gmail.com
Another wonderful book to read aloud full of lovely fun words "BASH and CRASH and SMASH!" Also, it includes awesomely threatening phrases such as, "And I'll eat you up with MUCH TOO MUCH KETCHUP!" It is a silly, thrilling adventure featuring two of my boys favorite elements, pirates AND dinosaurs. The illustrations are great as well - lovely collages with lettering in varied sizes for emphasis and that travels all over the page as the story takes it.
Magila
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Yes. I was sucked in by a book about a kid and pirates and dinosaurs. It's cliche. And I ate it up. It was just so fun! Plus, the art was colorful and entertaining. The picture with everyone in the pirate ship near the end could be a poster.

Boys will love this. The author even integrated some girl pirates into the mix.

Very recommended.
Daya B
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book I read it in nursery and the children loved it too. It worked well in my lesson as we were learning and sea and travelling.

The best bit was when the dinosaurs showed his terrible teeth and his terrible claws and his terrible a raws. The children all did the actions and that went on for days.
Madison
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Flinn runs out of markers to color his dinosaurs, so he is sent to the supply closet. In the closet he runs into a pirate whose boat has been stolen. Flinn must go on a grand adventure to rescue the captain's ship and his crew.

My son loved the fact that this book had dinosaurs and pirates. He loved the silly illustrations and begged me to read the book repeatedly.
Danie P.
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Great for older readers, preschool age, who enjoy a story that is a bit more involved. Flinn is asked to go into the supply cabinet at school to retrieve more markers he encounters a crying pirate who's ship has been stolen. Flinn agrees and so does his school friends. They start on an adventure to retrieve Captain Stubble's ship from evil Pirate Dinosaurs!
Tess North
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an imaginative book about a child fighting pirates. It begins with Flinn searching his schoolroom closet for more markers, inside he meets a sobbing pirate who needs help getting his ship, Acorn, back. From there, Flinn and his friends, magically fall into the high-seas on an adventure to re-claim the pirates lost ship. Well illustrated and a great adventure for younger readers.
Kara
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is such an egregious Lauren Child ripoff that I sometimes feel a little twinge of guilt or something when reading it out loud. But that said, this is a good picture book with one of the best "little boy" themes I know of, and it gets the kids so excited they can barely contain themselves. Featuring a T.Rex pirate captain and several underused plant-eating dinosaurs as the ship's crew.
Lara
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really fun book with great illustrations. I was thinking about reading it for group story time, but I think it's a little too long for that; I can see it being a really entertaining one to read out loud one-on-one though!
Krystyn
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We loved this one!! Super cute and creative story that reads well and is completely enjoyable. The combination of pirates and dinosaurs is perfect for my 4yo son right now! He doesn't want to return this one to the library!! :)
Katherine
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagination
VERY VEry cute book! This is a great book for younger boys who love to imagine and get lost in their heads about what they truly love! A wonderful book for doing a pirate accent which is always so much fun! can't wait to read it to a class full of little ones!
Malika J.
This book contains two favorite topics of many children: pirates AND dinosaurs. I would use this book as inspiration for creative writing. It takes an ordinary setting (school) that children have experience with and takes it into a whole new setting.
Melissa
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We bought this book around 12 years ago when my older son was into Pirates and Dinosaurs. We were so excited to find a book that had pirate dinosaurs! Our book is well worn from many readings, both to my son and now to my nephews.

It's the story of Finn, a boy who loves dinosaurs, so goes into the store room at school to find some pens to finish a school project. Instead, he finds a pirate captain whose ship has been stolen. Finn and his friends help the captain defeat the pirate dinosaurs to get
Kelly
I didn't like it much. It felt messy, all over the place. The illustrations even felt a little muddled.
Talia Smart
A very fun story with some fantastic illustrations!
Neens Bea
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, childrens-lit
CBeebies Bedtime Stories, read by Toby Stephens - which is the only reason I watched it, and the only reason it gets two stars.
Kerri Selby
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old & I, really enjoyed this book.
He liked the pictures, even the 'big scary' T-rex!
It's a fab mixture of Pirates & Dinosaurs, with plenty of bits to do the actions & loud voices
Anoush
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, jmrl
Everyone loves dinosaurs and everyone loves pirates and they should have been put together long before now! So imaginative. :-)
Kathryn Bergeron
I didn't love this book as much as I had hoped that I would. Pirate Dinosaurs?!?! How could you make that not great?
Steve Rogers
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pgce
I read Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs with my Year 1 class during literacy lessons. The focus for the week was writing fantasy stories and this book was fantastic inspiration for the children.

Flinn discovers a pirate hiding in the school resource cupboard he is transported with his friends to a fantasy world. Captain Stubble needs Flinn's help to find his ship that has been stolen by some furocious pirate dinosaurs. Will Flinn and his friends be couragous enough to reclaim the ship and
« previous 1 3 next »

• Aliens in Underpants Save the World
  • The Terrible Plop
  • A Million Dots
  • Big Bad Bubble
Giles Andreae is the author of several children's books, including the best-selling Giraffes Can't Dance, illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees. He is the creator of Purple Ronnie, one of the most successfully licensed cartoon characters in his native England.

Giles lives with his wife and three children in Notting Hill, England.

Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs (4 books)
  • Missing Treasure!