Start by marking “How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)

How to Be a Pirate

(How to Train Your Dragon #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  13,794 ratings  ·  1,062 reviews
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III was a Viking Hero--dashing, brave, and ever so clever. But even Viking heroes have to begin somewhere. In this rip-roaring adventure he recounts his early days--when he still had a lot to learn about swordfights, shipwrecks, and homicidal dragons....
Published May 11th 2005 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Pirate, please sign up.
Matteohumphrey the page reads:
peaceful really, lying so still...
And then Hiccup was sure he saw one of
the paper-white fingers twitch slightly.
He blinked and stared h…more
the page reads:
peaceful really, lying so still...
And then Hiccup was sure he saw one of
the paper-white fingers twitch slightly.
He blinked and stared hard at it.
Nothing for a second.
And then... there it was again, a definite
quivering...
'The c-c-corpse!' shuttered Hiccup, 'it's m-m-
moving!'
'Nonsense, boy!' snapped Gobber the Belch.
'How can he possibly move? He's DEAD, isn't he?'
And he gave the corpse a prod with one fat forefinger.
The corpse of Grimbeard the Ghastly snapped
straight upright, propelled by some appalling force
from within it, yellow eyes popping, dribbly green face
contorted in a ghastly grimace.(less)
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Best Book With or About Dragons
637 books — 784 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,264 books — 2,319 voters

More lists with this book...

·  13,794 ratings  ·  1,062 reviews

Start your review of How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
People said this book was funny...I didn't find myself laughing..Maybe it's due to my age but I got the idea that adults also found the humour in this novel amusing..Even if I didn't find LOL moments I still enjoyed the storyline though!

My one complaint if you own the Kindle version...The text when Toothless speaks is kinda hard to read and you can't turn up the font size cause the pages are like in a PDF..And as you read you come to a letter from someone and it's basically unreadable on the Kin
Joey Woolfardis
After a while, the How to Train your Dragon books all seem to merge in to one big pile of not-for-me so, whilst I said a full review would follow, sadly I don't particularly remember anything, either vaguely or pivotal to comment on. I think the series as a whole has some things to offer, though perhaps most of it sails underneath me.

From my rather abysmal memory, I just know that the humour seemed forced and wasn't particularly... anything, really. I didn't enjoy the historical aspects because
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is another book that was recommended to me by my son. I found the hero, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, to be very likable and funny. He is an unlikely viking, scrawny and uncoordinated, who is forced to take pirate lessons from "Gobber-the-Belch," another member of his tribe. Luckily Hiccup has a sympathetic best friend named Fishlegs and a small pet dragon named Toothless to see him through his adventures. An engaging quick read with a surprisingly wise ending, I recommend this book to all ...more
Keturah Lamb
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*listened to audio book*

This book made me smile so much.
I also had the thought again that Toothless is so annoying. And Hiccup has such a sad outlook on life ;p

Hiccup knows he's destined to be good with the sword. So that's why he foolishly takes on an older boy. And nearly dies. But he's saved by a box - a coffin. Or is he? Because what's in the coffin is about put him on an ever crazier path toward death. And poor Hiccup knows he has no chance of living or of ever being the future chief.

I l
Tarissa
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot begins when Hiccup's tribe locates a coffin, more exactly, one of Hiccup's ancestor's coffins. And it leads to a treasure. In for a scary adventure filled with dragons and danger?

… and Hiccup even finds out some interesting truths about himself. He may very well make an excellent sword-fighting Viking one day...

Cons? There some rather disgusting cracks that the boys may say – I suppose to show their Viking manliness – but I don't enjoy reading it too much.

But my favorite part is being a
Trish
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was the 2nd volume in the series about Hiccup Horrendous III and his dragon Toothless. I must say, the differences to the movie(s) are enormous and I don’t mean that in a good way. But I suppose both forms have their strengths and weaknesses.

The movie’s strength: Toothless and his loyalty, his hilarious cat-like behaviour and his and Hiccup’s teamwork.
The movie’s weakness: Not too deep a message except for in the first movie where the topics misfits, wits beating muscels and physical di
SuperHeroQwimm
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Surprised to say I think I like this one better than the first.
Amina
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of humor, sarcasm, fun and surprises too!
I don't like this toothless, at all!
Joey T
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a lot of the same feelings after this one as the first. It was good! And the characters were amazing and hilarious! But I felt the plot was maybe a tiny bit lacking. I’m not going to go on ranting about this one bc it would probably be a duplicate of my review for the first one lol
Overall it was good. And yes, I will continue the series, and I’m excited to start the next one!
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“The past is another land, and we cannot go to visit. So, if I say there were dragons, and men who rode upon their backs, who alive has been there and can tell me that I'm wrong?”

GtG

I might be enjoying these books a little too much for a full grown human being…
Blushing
Not that I care. I’m still a child at heart!

I’m going to listen to them all and not care what anyone say.
And come the day I have children of my own, I’ll read it to them and enjoy them just as much!
Deborah Pickstone

I laughed out loud at two or three places! Thus the 3.5 stars. Silly but somewhat entertaining.
The Flooze
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third is not so Heroic - at least not by Viking terms - despite the fact that he’s the Hooligan chief’s only heir. What he is is very, very clever, an attribute overlooked in a society revering such skills as Shouting, Senseless Violence, Badd Sppeling, and Advanced Rudery. (Well, with a clan name of Hooligans, what did you expect?)

Hiccup is Heroic by my standards though. He reads and observes and studies, and uses that brain of his to make decisions for the good of
Sara Saif
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

"Hiccup knew that Grimbeard had been the ULTIMATE in pirate-ness, the GREEDIEST, GRISLIEST, GORIEST Viking who had ever sailed and slew and farted his way across the Northern Seas."

There was a lot of farting in it so obviously I loved it.

"DEATH OR GLORY!" yelled Stoick the Vast, performing the complicated Hooligan salute, whcih consists of making a slitting motion across your own throat while letting out a fart like a clap of thunder.

Summary:
The Viking boys are training to bec
Catarina Miranda
This was good and really fun! I enjoyed it! Hiccup is starting to understand the real meaning of being a hero and that's really important! He keeps evolving as a character, which is great to see! Also, the sarcasm in this book is so on point... I LOVE IT! My first read for the Christmas Booktube-a-Thon is done! Now, I don't know if I should start An Abundance of Katherines today... (I completed challenge number 3 – a gifted book - by reading this book)
Kiki
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good, also it's not that difficult to read,but a challenging book.This book is about a kid/boy named Hiccup Horrendus the 3.you should really try to read this really great book.
Bettie
Emily Polson
These audiobooks (narrated by David Tennant) are delightful, but I've also been informed that there are delightful illustrations I'm missing out on by not reading in print?? How does one choose.
Lauren Stoolfire
This series is a lot of fun, but nothing at all like the movies. David Tennant is marvelous as the audio book narrator.
McKenzie Dean
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This second book in the How to Train Your Dragon series was just as good as the first! Okay, maybe even a little bit better?! Cressida Cowell managed to make me fall more in love with the series with this installment, a feat I didn't think possible. Filled with new friends, betrayal, and new dragons, it was absolutely wonderful and impossible to put down. I loved every moment spent among its pages!
Karen ⊰✿
Book 2 is just as fun as we follow Hiccup as he forced to take pirate lessons from "Gobber-the-Belch", another member of his tribe.

The names of the characters are just delightful for kids, and there is good natured humour throughout. Very different to the movies, but I think kids (and adults alike) will enjoy Hiccup's adventures.
Blue
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to like this but there was not a lot to grasp. It was okay, and lacked enough problems to nit-pick over and enjoy that. The moral of this installment was sweet, and if I had not expected it or seemed it would have more bearing in the series might have earned it another star.
Jason Pym
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My son never liked these maybe because he came to them to late - maybe better for eight year olds and younger? I love them though, and the David Tennant audio books are great too.
Daniel Summerstay
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fun children's book. It is my favorite book so far.
I don't think my original review of this book did it's influence on me credit.
I first came into contact with this book in 2009 when I heard the delightful audiobook of it read by David Tennant (although I didn't know him when I first heard these audiobooks, I have come to recognize his voice immediately and without fault whenever I hear it in television). The supremely enjoyable variety of entertaining voices Tennant employed in h
An Odd1
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, fantasy
"How to be a Pirate" (How 2) by Cressida Cowell are hilarious memoirs with crude black stick illustrations, from when Hiccup, Viking heir to Hairy Hooligan tribe, was a skinny freckled 11ish. Gobber the Belch teaches swords to twelve village lads on a rolling deck. In the storm, their ship crashes into a coffin. Famed ancestor Grimbeard the Ghastly leaves many warnings, but Alvin the-poor-but-honest-farmer convinces the warriors, including boys, to face deadly Skullion Isle for lost treasure. Hi ...more
Dolly
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the second book in the How to Train Your Dragon series by Cressida Cowell. We've watched the movie and our girls were excited to learn that the movies were based on these books.

When we were getting ready to watch the second movie, I borrowed the first two books in the series to serve as a bit of a refresher. But neither of our girls really got into them - they were disappointed that the books were so different from the movies. This is one reason I like to read the book before I watch th
Isla
I have been really busy lately. As a result, I am starting to develop a fondness for audiobooks. It had never occurred to me to listen to a "book on tape" (pardon the retro terminology) before. Then this, one of my first audiobook experiences, just sort of happened naturally and the performer, one David Tennant, helped the cause immensely. I WILL write a short review quickly: A really cute, fun story (as always with this series). Young Hiccup Haddock III, the future Viking Chief of Berk in this ...more
Zaz
After a first story, full of dangerous dragons, Hiccup is hooked by an average pirate adventure.

What can you expect when a bunch of vikings finds a box with a huge warning, inviting them to NOT open the box? As people in Berk are really brave (and maybe a little stupid sometimes), they decide to... open the box. Hiccup (wise kid) is of course against this terrible idea, and Toothless (fearless dragon?) totally agrees with him. But what a small kid and his tiny dragon can do against a full tribe
Kiri
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, Doctor Who Fans, The DTEB, anyone who likes clever and fun children's stories.
Shelves: reviewed
One of the films that was on during the Thanksgiving holiday was "how To Train Your Dragon" with everything going on I did manage to sit down with the kids and see most of it. It is really good. Then I ran across these audios.. I'm hooked.

This is a really cute. funny, and clever set of stories.

It doesn't hurt that David Tennant - whom I'm familiar with as the 10th Doctor - is narrating. He's really quite good at reading this. I may just have to see how he is at the Doctor Who audiobooks now. :
Anna
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Connie, Olivia
Recommended to Anna by: series
Another stellar performance by David Tennant!

Cressida Cowell must really know her target audience (I'm assuming it's 7-10 yr old boys -- who should find this hilarious!)

This is the continuing adventure of Hiccup, his dragon Toothless and his best friend Fishlegs, who are constantly put upon by his arch rival. The boys are continuing their Viking training -- this time in piracy and swordfighting -- but they must survive Hiccup's grandfather's curse on his legendary treasure and survive the Isle o
sj
I think I liked this one more than the first, actually. I have three boys, so I giggle at farts and burps - there were plenty of both in this book. While it was definitely predictable, I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Book Toothless is infinitely better than movie Toothless. Fishlegs cracks me up. Snotlout needs to get his comeuppance. I love that Stoick appreciates his strange little Hiccup more with each book.

• The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  • Dragon Down (Dragons: Riders of Berk Comics, #1)
  • Mermaid Reef (Secret Kingdom #4)
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Chapter Book
  • The Dragon at the North Pole (Dragon Keepers #6)
  • Twisted Fates (Dark Stars, #2)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • The Endless Night (Dragons: Defenders of Berk Comics, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor #1
  • Prisoner 88
  • Knight-napped! (Dragonbreath, #10)
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons
  • Microscopic Monsters
  • Battle of the Zombies (An Awfully Beastly Business, #5)
  • Bang Goes a Troll (An Awfully Beastly Business, #3)
  • The Jungle Vampire (An Awfully Beastly Business, #4)
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)