Start by marking “I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness” as Want to Read:
I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness

I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In fascinating, star-studded anecdotes, original Monkee Mickey Dolenz takes readers from his starring role at age 12 as TVs Circus Boy to the open casting call that brought the Monkees together, through the creative conflicts that finally drove them apart.
Published September 1st 1993 by Hyperion (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Believer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Believer

Rosa
The back cover says that Micky's "a true survivor" of the sixties. I think there ought to be a distinction here between survivors and perpetrators.
He does seem sorry about the stupid things he's done, but mostly just for himself. He got too much too fast when he was way too young. Sigh...men.
Neal
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have written, a fun/fast read. The book ends in '93, I would enjoy a followup.
Andrea
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Being a childhood fan of the Monkees, I hoped this book would provide insight into Micky Dolenz's experience with the band. Instead, mock scenarios using scripts between band members and descriptions of Davy Jones constantly doing his nails filled the pages. The only interesting part was the photographs of Micky's life in the public eye.
Marina Schulz
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love the Monkees; they really are one of my favourites, maybe more because of their fascinating story and background even than because of their music. Someone once summed it up nicely; of all of the groups talking about sticking it to the man in the 1960s, the only ones with the guts to really do it were The Monkees. So what if they alienated their audience? They rule. I just had to read this book.

"I'm a Believer" is the biography of Micky Dolenz, and hence doesn't focuse solely on his ca
Megan
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun read! I find Micky Dolenz extremely funny, and this book had me cracking up every couple of pages. Despite having a second author attached to the book, the voice of the book is Micky Dolenz's. I could hear his voice in my head throughout the entire time I was reading. It was great since I find Micky Dolenz's voice incredibly sexy.

Despite being entertaining, it wasn't very informational. I already knew a lot of what he talked about in the book just by watching his commentary on the tv movie
Mary Lou
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this - it was interesting without being too detailed.
Amy
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
After reading this I rather enjoy Micky Dolenz. This is a quick, funny read that gives you more of a surface snapshot (with a lot of humor and wisecracks injected) of his life. As he makes clear in the introduction, don't take him or life too seriously, and the book follows this same theme. However, I did find some quite poignant moments in this book. The experience one goes through from being on top to being on the bottom. Also, Dolenz's moment of standing in the middle of the road waiting for ...more
Lee Anne
This turned out to be not too bad. Micky Dolenz, who of late has been bringing his Micky Dolenz brand of forced wackiness to things such as "Gone Country," comes across in this memoir as crazy, sure, but self aware and genuinely funny, too.

The other three Monkees come off as you'd suspect as well: Peter's a dyed-in-the-wool hippie, Mike's concerned about artistic integrity, Davy's vain. Everyone comes in for some knocks, but Micky doesn't leave himself out--he was a hard partier in the years whe
Em
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
The subtitle of this book is ‘my life of monkees, music and madness’, and mostly I’d have to characterize this book is mundane mediocrity. I was ga-ga for the Monkees at eight years old and my sister did treat me to one of their reunion shows several years ago. The TV show had some funny quirky humor and some of the music was quite good, but this book doesn’t reflect that. Dolenz & his ghost writer give such a high gloss job to his own image that the entire book comes off as a promo piece. T ...more
Raechel
I'm not going to give this a star rating for a couple of reasons.
I didn't finish this book to completion. While the information was interesting, the amount of swearing (bad swearing), glorified immorality, and more swearing, I didn't finish it. I can't recommend it either, for even a fellow huge fan of The Monkees.
Like I said, some of the information was very interesting. I liked Micky's writing style, and reading about his life, but the swearing and immorality were just too much.
Makes me sad.
Bill
I've been a big Monkees fan for about as long as I can remember, so I was predisposed to thinking this would be at least okay going into it, and I was right. Not the most gripping (read: salacious) celebrity autobio I've ever read, but it held my interest. And you learn that Davy Jones is pretty much a douche, which I always kinda suspected. So if you're a Monkees fan (or just enjoy 60s bubblegum pop), you'd do well to check this out. Dolenz spins a half-decent anecdote when he's of a mind to. A ...more
Sam
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing, like most celebrity autobiographies, is no great literature. But being a fan this was a very interesting read simply for the details of his life in The Monkees. And he is quite an interesting person. Someone from the entertainment world for whom that is not their entire existence. For instance, after the big blow up that ended their 1987 reunion tour, he went back to school to get a degree in philosophy. He has also dabbled in quantum physics. If you can handle the writing flaws, th ...more
Gary Cabana
I was a Monkees fan as a kid, but I had no idea what a phenomenon they were until reading Mickey Dolenz' enjoyable and semi-tragic tale detailing his own career before and after the Monkees. It always amazes me how four guys in 1 studio can create music that none of them can duplicate alone. The Beatles came first, and then came The Monkees. Worth a read for anyone who thinks they'd like a career in music, TV, or the movies.
Marge
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, music
Okay, I TOTALLY admit I was madly in love with Mickey Dolenz when I was ten! And I still love when I hear that he's still performing (most recently on Broadway in "Aida") and directing (mostly in London). This is a bio of his youth and how he came to be a "Monkee" and the phenomenon it was in the mid-60's. As you can see from my book list, I really enjoy show-biz autobiographies. To me they're a good, fun read and a peek behind the scenes of "show biz".
Angie
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As I was cleaning the basement, I found this book and remembered how awesome it was. I read it my senior year of high school. This is the book about the life of my favorite Monkee, Mickey Dolenz. It goes into his life as a child actor and into his Monkee career. The book discusses his relationships, daughter, drug use, friends, etc. I loved every page of it.
Allison
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HILARIOUS. If you want to know about Micky's life before, after, and during the Monkees, this is the primo source (naturally). He's so humorous and repeatedly caused me to crack up. Also, a really quick read! I read it over two days on the subway, you you could definitely read the whole thing in a sitting. You won't want to put it down.
Karen
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun book to read, but Micky doesn't really delve a whole lot into details. He talks about the drama behind the 20th anniversary reunion (tour), but just vaguely. He goes into grand detail about his first wife, Samantha, but barely mentions his second wife. So you know it ended badly, but absolutely no details about the marriage - that sort of thing.
Chad Durham
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Monkees fan and so I loved reading this inside look at Micky and the Monkees. It was informative and sad and exciting and interesting. His prose is a little casual and you can tell he is not necessarily an author (in this sense), but I liked that I could hear Micky's voice telling the story.
Andy
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sixties rock fans
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Pretty cool bio by Mickey Dolenz that covers his child star beginnings to the formation of the Monkees and everything that followed. I like the fact that he covered a lot of ground about the groovy Hollywood scene in the psych days. Even if you're not a Monkees fan you'll still find a lot of great gossip about the old rock days.
Devon
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Micky Dolenz is absolutely hilarious. I mean, I knew his character on the TV show was hilarious...but Micky Dolenz himself is hilarious as well. This whole book kept me laughing out loud and his outlook on all of his band mates and the way he tells a story...all of it put together was actually a very good book...something I didn't expect from a musician...I know, I'm discriminating again.
Chris Leib
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't have the updated version, but the original edition was very well done.
Shannon
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a strange bunch! This will bring you straight back to the 1960's
Erin
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not great, but because of my OVERWHELMING love for The Monkees, I couldn't put it down.
jillaryjigs
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything I can read about my beloved Monkees is gold.

Thanks to Amy and Ben for this one.
Gina
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a very fun read. I actually miss those zany Monkees tv shows.
Rob
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It gave some good insight to Micky's life and his time with the Monkees. Lots of funny stories. An entertaining book.
Mark
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the original version published in 1993. Nice quick read. Mickey is a funny guy-sometimes hard to know when he is serious and when he is serious. :-)
Julie_ian_curtis
  • Marilyn in Fashion: The Enduring Influence of Marilyn Monroe
  • Love Becomes a Funeral Pyre: A Biography of the Doors
  • Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend
  • Stone Alone: The Story of a Rock 'n' Roll Band
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Born or Bred? Martin Bryant: the making of a mass murderer
  • Morrissey in Conversation: The Essential Interviews
  • Not Quite the Classics
  • Pearl: The Obsessions and Passions of Janis Joplin
George Michael Dolenz, Jr. (born March 8, 1945) is an American actor, musician, television director and theatre director; he is best known for his role as the drummer/vocalist in the 1960s made-for-television band, The Monkees.

More about Micky Dolenz...