Start by marking “Disconnect” as Want to Read:
Disconnect

Disconnect

Since moving hundreds of miles to a new school, Daria has become increasingly dependent on her cell phone. Texts, Facebook and phone calls are her only connection to her friends in Calgary, and Daria needs to know everything that is going on at home to feel connected to her old life. Her cell phone habit looks a lot like addiction to her mother and to her new friend Cleo. ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Disconnect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disconnect

Start your review of Disconnect
Bridget
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What attracted me to this book?

The fact it was a short book!...It's only 124 pages.

I was at the library browsing around really quickly and just looking to see what would catch my eye and saw this one and noticed its short...so, I grabbed it...Didn't have time to read much of the summary because I was supposed to be in there for something else and had someone outside waiting for me...At first, going by the cover, I thought it was a Dystopian Novella....But I did a quick scan of the summary and
Veronica Steiger-Gaboury
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great young adult book about the perils of being too attached to technology and not paying enough attention to the people right in front of us. Middle school reading level appropriate, all levels relevant.
Marie
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fine choice for high interest/low level YA fiction. Plot moves briskly. Characters are believable, and conflicts likely to appeal to reluctant teen readers.
Manjusha Deshpande
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly relevant when we do not want to part with our devices! And to stay connected is the ultimate end all be all. It could have used some of Sophie Kinsella's magic though.
Gerson Renoj Ovalle
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was very interesting a really good example of real life.
Heidi
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-2013, orca
This entry in the Orca Currents series is aimed straight at today's youth who seem (to many adults) to be overwhelmingly dependent up their phones and computers. Daria is constantly checking her phone and social media accounts for news from her friends in Calgary. How else will she know what's going in on their lives now that she lives in Texas? When Cleo questions the amount of time she spends being connected to technology, Daria scoffs at her new friend. But she finds herself in a dangerous ...more
Salma
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought that book was amazing because it talks about true facts such as, teens and how there eyes are glued to the screen. Its like technology is preventing them from reaching their goals in life. It is still really interesting to read.This book also has some exciting chapters that engage the reader to read more! I would recommend this book to students who love their phones or their technology they own!
Jessica
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This quickie read is a morality story preaching the vices of addiction - specifically technology addiction. It definitely made me rethink my dependence on the Internet and computers, although I am one of the very few left in the world who does not own a smart phone. We have a pay-as-you-go cell.
After reading this little story, I decided that my New Year's resolution is going to be to cut back on my Internet/Facebook usage.
Axel M
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought the book was interesting because of what it was talking about the whole title says It all it talks about how people spend to much on there phone and how they get grounded but it's a interesting book because that's how life is right now all you see is people on there phones texting,talking or having technology with them.
Nesma Bazali
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book is about a girl named Daria who moves to a new place an is addicted to her phone. She says her phone is the only way to stay connected to her two best friends, Josie and Selena. She realizes that she is a little to addicted to her phone when a child gets very hurt in her care. She meets a new girl Cleo and they research this addiction.
Beyond Words
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I could relate to people all around me. People are glued to their devices and it's becoming a habit to a lot of people. I liked this story quite a lot but didn't like what happened in the climax, but I'm glad that the author out that there. It just shows the consequences that could happen being on the devices that have now become addictions.
Kaylyn Kehoe
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In disconnected a girl was babysitting and well she was doing her job. instead she was talking to her old friend from where she used to live. and well being connected cause danger on her job. One of her kid get injured.
Madz
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, favorites
Amazing book. Would definitely make you want to not use your phone while babysitting.
Jennifer Smith
Cornelius Sampson
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Guts
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • Sheets
  • Yellow Star
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-3)
  • Rise of the Isle of the Lost (Descendants #3)
  • Escape from the Isle of the Lost (Descendant, #4)
  • The Isle of the Lost (Descendants, #1)
  • Return to the Isle of the Lost (Descendants, #2)
  • Overwatch #5: Mission Statement
  • Overwatch #3: Going Legit
  • The Grave Robber's Apprentice
  • The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #9)
  • Sisters - Free Preview Edition
  • When You Reach Me
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
After writing for adults for more than 20 years, I turned to writing for younger readers in 2007. My first children's book, MEETING MISS 405 was published by Orca Book Publishers in Fall, 2008. It was recently awarded top place in the BC Choclate Lily Children's Choice Award.

My second Young Reader entitled THE BALLAD OF KNUCKLES McGRAW came out in April 2010 and was followed in October by SILVER