Start by marking “Everything I Know About Pirates” as Want to Read:
Everything I Know About Pirates

Everything I Know About Pirates

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Pirates will often carry their knives in their mouths, although the practice is frowned upon by the American Dental Association.
Published May 1st 2003 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Everything I Know About Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything I Know About Pirates

Celeste
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
My son really enjoys these books. They are quite silly.
Kelly
There are few children's books I read from the library that I absolutely have to add to my collection. This is definitely one of those books. Lichtenheld is an amazingly creative author. The book is funny and silly throughout.
Eva Leger
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
I've been trying to figure out where in the hell this came from. Julia likes pirates but surely not enough for anyone to have bought this. I think someone may have bought her some sort of kit and this came with it.
I want to rate this higher because if it's in the hands of a better audience it's surely get five stars. Okay, I had given it a 2 but I'm changing to 3 because it's just not fair.
I'd recommend this to boy (or girls) who are very into pirates and all things pirate-y who are somewhere
Samantha
My favorite of the Everything I Know About... picture book series by this author/illustrator. This title focuses on pirates and includes a smidge more real information than made-up and does a great job of highlighting what makes pirates so interesting.

Illustrations were rendered in ink, colored pencil, gouache, and pastels.

Text is too long for a read aloud, but it's good for independent readers.
Heidi-Marie
Out-and-out silliness. Boys (and some girls, I'm sure) will love this. Not as funny to me as some of his other works, though I did smile and laugh. And my favorite part was the Glossary. Brilliant and hilarious--especially with mention of the Monkees! Ha ha!!

Not a good storytime choice, and probably best for the school-age kids. Read-alones very fun and lap-reads OK.
Greta
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
"Pirates will often carry their knives in their mouths, although the practice is frowned upon by the American Dental Association!"

I laughed out loud through this whole book. Just some very funny, quirky lines. My son is going to be playing Smee from Peter Pan in his school play so we're getting all the pirate lingo down! Fun to laugh together as we read this book!
Mary
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this a 5/5 because I love Tom Lichtenheld's quirky sense of humor and colorful illustrations, but my four-year-old wasn't keen to read it again. I think the humor was lost on her, but maybe Tom will write Everything I Know About Princesses, and then I think we'll be in business. :)
Amelia
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everything I Know About Pirates is a nonfiction book that would spark the interest of students and especially boys. I liked that this book was humorous and also informational. Students could be encouraged to also create their own book that uses this book as a model.
Sgivens
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kind of a funny book a guy made guessing what pirates were and why they had certain things they did. It had really nice illustrations and even some pirate lingo in the back, you could even find out what your pirate name is!
Nathan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Good read and funny. Most of the jokes went over my kid's heads but I got a chuckle from them.
Laramort
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the best pirate book ever! You can even make your own pirate name with its help.
Jackie
A tongue-in-cheek look at pirates and all their habits. Silly illustrations make researching pirates fun and amusing.

Used for "Pirates: Arrrggg Mateys" Storytime- June, 2010.
Deborah
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Like his book Everything I Know about Monsters, this book is lively and full of voice. There is humor and plays on words. Pretty fun and a good model for voice and organization of ideas.
David
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book that encourages imagination. The voice is fun and witty in this book (as it is in many of Lichtenheld's books).
Samantha
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A quick overview of pirate life in a humorous, not-completely-true manner. Comes complete with name generator.
Finny
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Mommy says: Kids would not even let me read this to them past the 1st page.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quirky, silly "encyclopedia" of all the made up facts this guy knows about pirates. Lots of side notes and diagrams.

Great, funny illustrations.
Sandra
Nov 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ella Takes The Cake
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World
  • Pirate Pete
  • Bedhead
  • Terrific
  • Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed
  • Dogs and Cats
  • Lowji Discovers America
  • Dear Tyrannosaurus Rex
  • Pirattitude!: So you Wanna Be a Pirate?: Here's How!
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear
  • Do Pirates Take Baths?
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
  • Open Wide: Tooth School Inside
  • Dogku
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
Children's book author/illustrator writes for kids who love to laugh and grown-ups who love to laugh along with them. When not making up stories and drawing silly pictures, he likes to get other people's kids all riled-up then send them home to their parents.