Start by marking “The Night Pirates” as Want to Read:
The Night Pirates

The Night Pirates

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  748 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
A perfectly pitched, irresistibly charming read-aloud picture book for the youngest pirate enthusiasts!

"Down, down, down the dark, dark street they came. Up, up, up the dark, dark house they climbed. Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice. Only the moon was watching when they arrived. Only the moon was watching when they left. Only the moon & one little boy."

Tom is awoken
Published March 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Pirates

Sam Hopper
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Night Pirates is a children’s adventure book about some brave little girl pirates that take a young boy called Tom (along with the front of his house) on a mission to steal the treasure of some ‘really, tough grown-up’ pirates.

The story is captivating. The use of rhyme, alliteration and atmospheric illustrations build the suspense and excitement. The words are cleverly placed in patterns across each page which add to the drama and carry you along on the adventure. Different sized text is use
Brad
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As kids' picture books go, The Night Pirates is right up there with Where the Wild Things Are, The Sneetches and Stone Soup as one of my all-time faves.

The art is beautiful, GIRLS can be Pirates (how's that for crazy?!), the writing is perfectly suited to oral delivery, and there is NO violence. The closest we come is a big, bad Pirate Master threatening to sic his Mom on those who take his treasure.

It is wonderful. Read it to your kids, then have them read it to you. I guarantee (figuratively)
Josie
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved the illustrations! They were so warm for a book set at night. The mix of different medias was lovely -- I was especially fond of the graph paper houses. And I loved the fact that the pirates were little girls (who didn't exclude Tom for being a boy, which is a Good Lesson to throw in), and the baddies were the rough, tough, grown-up pirates. I liked the placement of the text on the page, the changes in the size, and the different fonts for certain words like "Captain Patch" and "girl pir ...more
Jules
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 4 year old niece, Daisy and I have been having a bit of a pirate themed day. We went on a treasure hunt around the house earlier, and she now has a chest full of treasure, so this was a fun book to read to her.
Alisha
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice pirate story for all-ages. The illustrations are a mix of different medium: collage, pencil and paint, I believe. I like that the pirates are girls and allow the boy to play with them. Fun for preK and up.
Darinda
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
During the night, Tom awakens to some noises. Turns out some girl pirates are stealing his house. He does the logical thing, and joins them on their adventure.

A fun nighttime story about pirates. And girl pirates at that. Fun illustrations with rhyming text make it a good read aloud for little ones.

Sabera
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Up up up the dark house they climbed…Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice…Rough, tough little girl pirates!” The Night Pirates is unlike any other pirate story, primarily as the pirates are not the coarse, burly men we know of as pirates. But instead little girls that come to take Tom away on an adventure during the night!

The story begins with the pirates quietly coming down the street and climbing into Tom’s house before taking him off onto an adventure aboard a house-shaped pirate ship. Here he
Keshia Smith
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read for a KS1 whole class read. Harris captures childrens imaginations cleverly and challenges the normal bounds of pirate stories by having the pirates as girls. The idea of dreams is cleverly conveyed allowing children to begin to look at inference within books and wider meaning. The layout and illustrations within the book work perfectly to capture and engage its audience. Finally the book allows for children to experiment reading with plenty of expression and changing voices to ...more
Aleha Begum
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book with a fun, adventurous story. The illustrations are great and children seem to get lost in them.

The story has poetic repetition and highlighted words that are a great learning tool. I recommend this book for both boys and girls as it has girl pirates!

I read this book to a year 1 class and was a focus book for the theme on fantasy stories. The children really enjoyed this story and it was great for children to act out actions and do role plays. The role play area was designed to be a pir
Cai
Tom joins a band of pirates that wakes him up in the middle of the night. As he joins them, they go on grand adventure.

We just discovered Bookaboo and this was the first episode we watched. Absolutely fantastic that these books are read in this show. This book was clever and funny! I loved the worst curse a pirate could utter.

V @ 5 months old.
Aimee
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A little boy is visited in the night by a ship full of little girl pirates. How cool is that?
Emily Moss
This book tells the story of a little boy’s journey in the night time with a bunch of pirates. It seems that he is dreaming this journey but at the end of the story it questions this. The story rejects the normal male pirate stereotype as all the visiting pirates are little girls, this could be something interesting to explore. The illustrations are full of different colours, textures and patterns, some almost collage-like and provide plenty to analyse.
Bryony Wells
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book that encourages you to turn the book itself around and play with the form. The fun font sizes and irregular positioning of words adds excitement and enjoyment to this tale which defies stereotypes, as a little boy joins the girl pirates to defeat the grown ups, a victory that is sure to please all young readers.
Bruce
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a crew of rough, tough, little girl pirates come in the night to steal the front of Tom’s house as a disguise, brave Tom joins in the adventure as they raid the treasure of some not so rough, tough, grownup pirates in this delightfully funny adventure.
Jc
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The youngsters really enjoyed the story and the pictures.
Cindy  Quinn
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Perfect for Read-a-Louds. The kids love it!
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, je
This is about a little boy who goes on a pirate adventure.
Mrs. Ruigrok
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids will love this imaginative pirate story...which takes place at night of course, with secret young pirates! Kids will also enjoy the illustrations and rhyming aspect.
Marie Tinet
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: albums-jeunesse
J’ai beaucoup aimé l’histoire simple accompagnée de chouettes illustrations, mais surtout de typographies particulières. En effet, le texte lui-même devient illustration. La police, la taille, l’emplacement… le texte est complètement intégré à l’image. Et puis, un album moderne sur les pirates, c’est toujours sympa !
Martin Carberry
February 23, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: The Night Pirates

Author: Peter Harris

Plot: Tom awakes to strange shadows and noises that turn out to be a band of girl pirates who are trying to use his house as a disguise for their ship. He convinces them to take him along with them on their journey to defeat Captain Patch and the grown up pirates and take the treasure for themselves.

Setting: Tom's house; Pirate Ship; Island

Character
Christina Hyde
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book follows the adventures of a little boy named Tom in the course of one night and takes the readers for a ride as well. This book is a great read aloud book for younger children and allows for different, fun pirate voices.

The print in this book is very unique, the words double as part of the illustrations. The words "down, down, down" actually go down the page and vice versa with the words up. One on page the book goes from horizontal to vertical to show the hugeness of the girls' pirate
Emmaline MacBeath
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: "When dark shadows come stealing down Tom's bedroom wall he thinks it might be monsters or trolls. But the truth is much stranger. It's PIRATES! And stranger still – they're GIRL PIRATES stealing the front of his house!" The girl pirates take Tom on an adventure to steal treasure from the grown-up pirates. "And no one would ever find out...would they?"

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations are wonderful with rich contrasting colors, creative use of texture and of course fun humor throughout.

R
Betsy
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
the illustrations and pop-up feature in this book is one of a kind. there is one page in which one of the pirates is hanging from a tree. it wasn't the usual pop-up feature. the illustrations are beautiful and detailed. however, the words and sentences in this book leave something to be desired. the sentences are too simple, i understand the need to repeat but it was overused in this book. also the plot wasn't interesting i thought that there could be more; a young boy tom goes on an adventure w ...more
Bianca
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this picture book, I read it to my nephews and they enjoyed the smooth flow of the language and also the adventures within it. They especially liked the main character Tom, they thought he was awesome.

I liked the subtleness of the main messages of the book- if took a while to realise what exactly the book meant to convey but when you know you see it from about halfway through the book.

It's the typical mean vs nice, which is of course cool. And I like how it bends the roles of genders i
Micah
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked that little boy, but I forget his name. I think it is Tom. He heard some banging in front of his house. He saw lots of pirates, well, there were only five. They made him a pirate and he had a golden sword. My favorite part was that they scared off the other bad pirates and got their treasure. One of the funniest parts was that the bad pirate said, "IF you don't give me your treasure, I'll tell my mommy!"

(reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama)
Connie
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
It has really cute illustrations, and they shine with the wonderful, just-a-little-bit-exciting text.

Tom's bedroom is invaded by girl pirates, who welcome him aboard their boat when they steal the front of his house for disguise. All the pirates (and Tom) go, they non-violently steal treasure from the grown-up pirates, and Tom ends up back home safe in bed.

I have yet to meet a kid who didn't enjoy this book.
Skye Kilaen
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Night Pirates is the calm, cool counterpart to the rumpus-type pirate books. Young Tom wakes up one night to find that a band of girl pirates are stealing the front of his house... what the heck? The dreamy feel of the art and writing makes this a perfect bedtime story, and the "kids get one over on grownups" adventure is satisfying even when you're the grownup. One of our favorite picture books about pirates.
Amanda
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buy
My son (age 3) loved this book. We checked it out from the library and had to renew it twice. The book has a nice cadence. Basic plot is a little boy who goes on an adventure with a bunch of little girl pirates who battle adult pirates. It's very cute and fun. It is on our "want-it" list to add to our personal collection.
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • Come Away From The Water, Shirley
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.