Start by marking “The Night Pirates” as Want to Read:
The Night Pirates

The Night Pirates

A perfectly pitched, irresistibly charming read-aloud picture book for the youngest pirate enthusiasts!

"Down, down, down the dark, dark street they came. Up, up, up the dark, dark house they climbed. Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice. Only the moon was watching when they arrived. Only the moon was watching when they left. Only the moon & one little boy."

Tom is awoken
Published March 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Pirates

Sam Hopper
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Night Pirates is a children’s adventure book about some brave little girl pirates that take a young boy called Tom (along with the front of his house) on a mission to steal the treasure of some ‘really, tough grown-up’ pirates.

The story is captivating. The use of rhyme, alliteration and atmospheric illustrations build the suspense and excitement. The words are cleverly placed in patterns across each page which add to the drama and carry you along on the adventure. Different sized text is use
Brad
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As kids' picture books go, The Night Pirates is right up there with Where the Wild Things Are, The Sneetches and Stone Soup as one of my all-time faves.

The art is beautiful, GIRLS can be Pirates (how's that for crazy?!), the writing is perfectly suited to oral delivery, and there is NO violence. The closest we come is a big, bad Pirate Master threatening to sic his Mom on those who take his treasure.

It is wonderful. Read it to your kids, then have them read it to you. I guarantee (figuratively)
Josie
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved the illustrations! They were so warm for a book set at night. The mix of different medias was lovely -- I was especially fond of the graph paper houses. And I loved the fact that the pirates were little girls (who didn't exclude Tom for being a boy, which is a Good Lesson to throw in), and the baddies were the rough, tough, grown-up pirates. I liked the placement of the text on the page, the changes in the size, and the different fonts for certain words like "Captain Patch" and "girl pir ...more
Mimi
Absolutely charming.
Ben Hagan
This is a great book for KS1 as it has repetitive, descriptive language and an easy to understand plot which mildly promotes gender equality. The book coincides well with Pie Corbett's T4L scheme as the children are able to imitate, innovate and invent the book very easily with supervision from the Teacher. I used this book during SBT 1 with the poem 'If I was a Pirate' by Josh Gill and the chn really enjoyed it.
Jules
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 4 year old niece, Daisy and I have been having a bit of a pirate themed day. We went on a treasure hunt around the house earlier, and she now has a chest full of treasure, so this was a fun book to read to her.
Alisha
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice pirate story for all-ages. The illustrations are a mix of different medium: collage, pencil and paint, I believe. I like that the pirates are girls and allow the boy to play with them. Fun for preK and up.
Darinda
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
During the night, Tom awakens to some noises. Turns out some girl pirates are stealing his house. He does the logical thing, and joins them on their adventure.

A fun nighttime story about pirates. And girl pirates at that. Fun illustrations with rhyming text make it a good read aloud for little ones.

Sabera
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Up up up the dark house they climbed…Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice…Rough, tough little girl pirates!” The Night Pirates is unlike any other pirate story, primarily as the pirates are not the coarse, burly men we know of as pirates. But instead little girls that come to take Tom away on an adventure during the night!

The story begins with the pirates quietly coming down the street and climbing into Tom’s house before taking him off onto an adventure aboard a house-shaped pirate ship. Here he
Keshia Smith
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read for a KS1 whole class read. Harris captures childrens imaginations cleverly and challenges the normal bounds of pirate stories by having the pirates as girls. The idea of dreams is cleverly conveyed allowing children to begin to look at inference within books and wider meaning. The layout and illustrations within the book work perfectly to capture and engage its audience. Finally the book allows for children to experiment reading with plenty of expression and changing voices to ...more
Aleha Begum
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book with a fun, adventurous story. The illustrations are great and children seem to get lost in them.

The story has poetic repetition and highlighted words that are a great learning tool. I recommend this book for both boys and girls as it has girl pirates!

I read this book to a year 1 class and was a focus book for the theme on fantasy stories. The children really enjoyed this story and it was great for children to act out actions and do role plays. The role play area was designed to be a pir
Cai
Tom joins a band of pirates that wakes him up in the middle of the night. As he joins them, they go on grand adventure.

We just discovered Bookaboo and this was the first episode we watched. Absolutely fantastic that these books are read in this show. This book was clever and funny! I loved the worst curse a pirate could utter.

V @ 5 months old.
Aimee
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A little boy is visited in the night by a ship full of little girl pirates. How cool is that?
Patricia Timbrook
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents
Some kids think BIG. Some kids talk even BIGGER. And some kids, like Tom, imagine BIGGEST of all. And so begins THE NIGHT PIRATES, a bedtime adventure of a little boy's playful imagination without limitations: His room becomes a ship, and on his ship are a girl crew and girl Captain, and with Tom permitted aboard, together they set sail for a far-away, unknown island. There they find rugged Captain Patch, his rough/tough band of pirates, and their recently found treasure chest, which Tom's crew ...more
Amber
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story tells the tale of a little boy called Tom who goes on an adventure with some little girl pirates. During their adventure they are able to use their pirating and teamwork skills to steal some treasure from adult pirates. After they are successful on their mission it is time for Tom to return back to his bed where no one ever finds out about his secret adventure.

This book it aimed at KS1 students. It is a good topic book that could be used at the end of a lesson if the children were lea
Emily Moss
This book tells the story of a little boy’s journey in the night time with a bunch of pirates. It seems that he is dreaming this journey but at the end of the story it questions this. The story rejects the normal male pirate stereotype as all the visiting pirates are little girls, this could be something interesting to explore. The illustrations are full of different colours, textures and patterns, some almost collage-like and provide plenty to analyse.
Nadina
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. The combination of artwork and pop-up is beautiful. The way the text was laid out and the arrangement and sizing of the font was great. This was a stunning book, even though it was short.
2. The story itself was fabulous. I loved the concept of this boy going on a trip with pirate girls. He was the lone boy joining this crew of girls. The plot and pace were great. I absolutely loved this book.
Bryony Wells
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book that encourages you to turn the book itself around and play with the form. The fun font sizes and irregular positioning of words adds excitement and enjoyment to this tale which defies stereotypes, as a little boy joins the girl pirates to defeat the grown ups, a victory that is sure to please all young readers.
Jessiclees
This book doesn’t really know what it wants to be. Sometimes it rhymes and sometimes it doesn’t which makes it quite hard to read to a child because you don’t know where to put the emphasis.

I also don’t like the ‘girl’ pirates. They can just be pirates who happen to be girls.

I was tempted to give it 1 star, but my daughter likes it and this is who it is aimed at, not me.
Bruce
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a crew of rough, tough, little girl pirates come in the night to steal the front of Tom’s house as a disguise, brave Tom joins in the adventure as they raid the treasure of some not so rough, tough, grownup pirates in this delightfully funny adventure.
Jc
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The youngsters really enjoyed the story and the pictures.
Cindy  Quinn
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for Read-a-Louds. The kids love it!
Mrs. Ruigrok
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids will love this imaginative pirate story...which takes place at night of course, with secret young pirates! Kids will also enjoy the illustrations and rhyming aspect.
The Campbell Family
This was cute, with great illustrations, a fun premise and we enjoyed when we had to turn the book the other direction to read the story!
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, je
This is about a little boy who goes on a pirate adventure.
Athena
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10e-pb-fiction
This book is read on an Amazon show called Bookaboo. I love the series. It's only 1 season. I wish there were more.
Martin Carberry
February 23, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: The Night Pirates

Author: Peter Harris

Plot: Tom awakes to strange shadows and noises that turn out to be a band of girl pirates who are trying to use his house as a disguise for their ship. He convinces them to take him along with them on their journey to defeat Captain Patch and the grown up pirates and take the treasure for themselves.

Setting: Tom's house; Pirate Ship; Island

Character
Emmaline MacBeath
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: "When dark shadows come stealing down Tom's bedroom wall he thinks it might be monsters or trolls. But the truth is much stranger. It's PIRATES! And stranger still – they're GIRL PIRATES stealing the front of his house!" The girl pirates take Tom on an adventure to steal treasure from the grown-up pirates. "And no one would ever find out...would they?"

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations are wonderful with rich contrasting colors, creative use of texture and of course fun humor throughout.

R
Christina Hyde
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book follows the adventures of a little boy named Tom in the course of one night and takes the readers for a ride as well. This book is a great read aloud book for younger children and allows for different, fun pirate voices.

The print in this book is very unique, the words double as part of the illustrations. The words "down, down, down" actually go down the page and vice versa with the words up. One on page the book goes from horizontal to vertical to show the hugeness of the girls' pirate
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • that pesky rat
1 follower
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.