Start by marking “A Game for Heroes” as Want to Read:
A Game for Heroes

A Game for Heroes

The occupied Channel Islands: the last outpost of German resistance at the end of a long and savage conflict. Most feared amongst them: St. Pierre, the heavily guarded fortress chosen by a crazed SS Commandant for his suicidal final stand. With Berlin on the verge of capture, it is the most sensitive mission of the war. An end game that calls for a hero - with something el ...more
Published May 28th 1998 by Penguin (first published May 20th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Game for Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game for Heroes

Rebecca
That was really disappointing. This is one of Jack Higgins early novels written under the name of James Graham in 1970 and it shows. Compared to Higgins later novels it is very rough. I found it odd as two of the characters Steiner and Radl, Higgins obviously decided to use again in what became his breakout novel 'The Eagle has Landed' in 1975. The Steiner if this book (Manfred rather than Kurt) like that in Eagle was probably the only character in this book I liked! Radl this time was the prope ...more
L.J.
Jan 15, 2008 L.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: take-or-leave
The concept of the story is great, and I think Higgins cannot be faulted for his knowledge of the subject matter as he brings the setting and characters to life really well. He is a great story teller and has a great imagination. I didn't give this book a high mark because it is a little tedious after reading his other books I caught myself feeling too much like I had read this before only a better version and it was just in a different location. It is a good summertime, beach read otherwise the ...more
Penny
Nov 05, 2009 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: higgins-jack
Love this author. Even his worst books are always entertaining. This one has a copyright date of 1970 by James Graham. Higgins has several pen names (Patterson, Harry; Fallon, Martin; Graham, James; Marlowe, Hugh) so he can be difficult to track sometimes.
He is at his best when writing about the WWII as in his classic "The Eagle has Landed".
This novel is about the German occupation of an imaginary island in the Channel Islands. If you have read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"
J.T.
Jul 21, 2014 J.T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wartime thriller features nazis, British and American colonels and sergeants, and ostensibly it is about a spy mission to destroy a German mcguffin-installation in the Channel islands, but it's perversely enough not really a war novel. A compact and muscular men-on-a-mission thriller that turns to a character study and a maritime disaster yarn, this is a terrific, propulsive read. It doesn't matter what colors you wear in a war; people are people, relationships demand attention, and if you ...more
Alan
Nov 07, 2016 Alan rated it really liked it
My father's family lived in the Channel Islands so I had always wanted to read this book and as with all of his WWII stories Higgins delivers. The characters are compelling if more than a little jaded. Many of the Germans are pictured as being as heroic as their enemies. Great plot with a number of excellent non-war twists.
Michel
Just read it again on vacation - a thumping good read indeed, even though it sacrifices to the genre's tradition of happy-ending-all-around, as if the war only killed villains and far distant acquaintances: friends and heroes survive (oops! was that a spoiler?)
A little too much machismo for today's tastes maybe, but hey, this was the war, sissies didn't make it in the special forces.
Scott
Oct 04, 2013 Scott rated it did not like it
A Game for Heroes was a slow somewhat boring book. It is not worth reading. The characters are as interesting as cardboard cut outs. There is nothing redeeming about the book. Don’t waste your time.
Dan
Mar 24, 2012 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A library audio book that kept me awake while traveling cross country. It almost didn't do the job--the book was pretty slow to start and the guy who did the recording was hard to understand at first. But once the story got going I enjoyed the action and the WWII history lesson.
Praveer Nath
Fast paced and a good read
David Rivett
Jul 28, 2013 David Rivett rated it it was amazing
a really good read & really enjoyed it even though I have read itsome years ago. Worth reading again.
Bubba61909
Feb 13, 2012 Bubba61909 rated it really liked it
I really like war books and this is another that I can say is on the good shelf. There is a lot of drama and action in this so I recommend it.
Greg
May 12, 2016 Greg rated it did not like it
Not up to his usual work.
Annette McIntyre
Not bad, though a bit confusing in it's method of telling the tale - it starts in the middle, then goes back to the start.
Rodney
Nov 02, 2015 Rodney rated it liked it
Recommended to Rodney by: 242
Good read
Joe O'Connor
Aug 30, 2009 Joe O'Connor rated it liked it
Very Good; Channel Island held by Germans in the last days of the war becomes the target of a group of commandos; they are captured and work together with some of the Germans towards common goals.
Lesley
Jul 18, 2011 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Rich Claar
Rich Claar rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Alan Varghese
Feb 08, 2013 Alan Varghese rated it it was ok
The story doesn't hold well. Did not enjoy it very much.
Nita
Nita rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Dillingham
Dillingham rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Paul S
Paul S rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Stuart Walters
Stuart Walters rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Jason Haigh
Jason Haigh rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Nicola
Nicola rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
May 02, 2017
Harry Hyndman
Harry Hyndman rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Sara lee
Sara lee rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
  • Ice Reich
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Himmler's War
  • Silent Partner
  • The Berkut (Beau Valentine #1)
  • The Berlin Deception
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • G.I. Joe: Tales From The Cobra Wars
  • The Company of Strangers
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...