Start by marking “Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)

Shadow Man

(Smoky Barrett #1)

Once, Special Agent Smoky Barrett hunted serial killers for the FBI. She was one of the best until a madman terrorized her family, killed her husband and daughter, and left her face scarred and her soul brutalized. Turning the tables on the killer, Smoky shot him dead but her life was shattered forever.

Now Smoky dreams about picking up her weapon again. She dreams about
Published March 27th 2007 by Bantam (first published June 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Man, please sign up.
Bert Really depends on where you pick it up - ya know?

Start your review of Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
PirateSteve
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Greetings Thrill Seekers,

You've stumbled upon this message so perhaps you'll take the time to learn of who I am.
I hope you don't mind but I've chosen FBI Special Agent Smoky Barrett to introduce us. Smoky is a scarred woman, inside and out, but she is said to be the best violent crimes agent within the FBI. Her L.A. based team is said to be the best of it's kind at solving horrendous crimes. So Smoky Barrett will have to do.
She will acquaint you with my torture, rape, murder ... genius.
You
Jan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most scary, intense, mess with your mind, psychological thriller's I've ever read!

This book was recommended to me well over a year ago, and while I went and purchased the book right away, it quickly became lost amongst the other patient books waiting to be read.
When my favorite buddy reader suggested we tackle another one, this book was hands down our first pick. The reviews were strong, and with the recommendation in my mind, I took this one on with high expectations. Apparently
Christine
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Sue2, Terri B, Jonetta all 5
Shelves: favorites
Five stars vastly underrates this book. I give the brilliant Shadow Man 10 stars. Easily. Cory McFadyen’s Shadow Man is the best thriller I have read. In my life. Ever.

By the time I reached the 5% mark, I knew this book was going to be special. I paused long enough to race over to Amazon to order the other 3 books in the series. I was instantly transfixed in chapter one, and the book did not lessen its grip on me from that point on. The last 25% of the book was simply unputdownable. Truly.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. This book isn't for everyone. It was definitely for me! This book is very horrifying! Its not for the faint of heart. I had to put it down a couple of times because in some parts I just could not handle it. It is an excellent book. The author writes so well! It is very suspenseful. Its so hard for me to say what its about because I don't want to spoil it. Also I can not put in words the justice that this book deserves. I can tell you that if you are a fan of Karin ...more
Sherri
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Today on Cooking With Plagiarism, we're going to work on a little recipe called "Shadow Man." This is a pretty spicy dish, and will be too hot for those of you who are sensitive to too much gore and pretty much unpalatable to those of you who like your plots without holes. For the rest of you, let's get started. First, when cooking with plagiarism its important to start of right. Pull your very COVER from another source to give your audience a head's up on what to expect. Don't be too blatant ...more
Brenda
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a warning. Future readers should be aware that there is an abundance of gore, depravity, and evil in this book, and it is not left to the imagination! It is also countered with love and hope and loyalty.

By the end of the first chapter, I was completely hooked by this book. For me, it was very emotional. I melded myself with everything Smoky was feeling: fear, sorrow, depression, suicidal. And a few chapters later, I loved her team as she did. The cast of characters in this book are just
David Staniforth
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not one for the squeamish!

This is the kind of book that makes me glad I joined Goodreads and that I have friends whose recommendations I trust, for without that I would never have read "Shadow Man". The cover wouldn't have drawn me in and I'd never heard of the author, so not something I would have selected while casually browsing in the library.

Brilliant writing style that gripped me from the opening paragraph and never let go. Fantastic character development. Intense action. Perfect pacing and
Phrynne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
This is a book that I quite liked but cannot rave over. It gets lots of five star reviews but it didn't really hit the spot for me.

I enjoyed the story and it had some tense moments. The characters were okay but I felt as though I had met them in many other crime books before. What bothered me the most though was the melodrama. Everyone seemed to be overcome by their feelings about something and the main characters alternated between vomiting in waste baskets and fainting due to extreme stress.
Jan
3.75 **** Run for your life stars

Shadow Man was not my usual read but

it was certainly what I was craving for.

Gory, brutal, horrifying and frightful to the extent of wanting to go to bed with the lights on.

I thought I spotted the killer pretty soon which surprised me as I am usually clueless.
However, I've got distracted. Distracted by madness.
FORTHELOVEOFGOD, how frightening can an insane person be with no boundaries in her mind whatsoever about what is RIGHT and WRONG?

At this point, I don’t
Krystin Rachel
This is the kind of story I love, unashamedly.

A super tough female heroine, with a traumatized past, who has became the main target of a twisted serial killer's bloody game that gives you lots of gore. I mean sure, it's a tale as old as time in this genre. It's been done to death, but when it's done well? Who gives a fuck? It's a wild, tense, dark and twisty ride.

I have a hard time believing this is the first novel ever written by Cody McFadyen but that's the line I'm being fed, so sure, ok,
Laura/Mystery in Minutes
Spoiler-Free Review

Are you a fan of the often very dark and edgy show "Criminal Minds"?
The show about the Behavioral Analysis Unit at the FBI (read: profilers)?
I haven't watched the show in years (for reasons having nothing to do with the quality of the show), so I don't know if it has changed since then, but, for me, the tone of Cody McFadyen's first Smoky Barrett novel is very reminiscent of that show that I remember.

So, what did I love about Shadow Man?

I loved the depiction of camaraderie
Diana
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow ... extremely dark! I can't really add anything else for a review that others haven't covered already. It is dark, complex and suspenseful ... I raced through it and was surprised at the end which I always enjoy that. If you like Angela Marsons books then this will be right up your alley. Not for the faint of heart ... definitely for dark suspense fans! Don't pass this one up!
Jean
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
George Eliot, Isak Dinesen, J. D. Robb…Cody McFadyen? I truly mean this as the highest compliment, Mr. McFadyen. As I read the opening pages of your spectacular thriller, Shadow Man, I had to look back to see your name again. Yes, I had read it correctly; I simply could not believe that the emotions and sensations that were emanating from my Kindle had come from the psyche of a man. I know that I am not the first reviewer to say this, but this was my overwhelming first impression, and I was ...more
Carol
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen
Smokey Barrett series Book #1
5's

What's It About?
Once, Special Agent Smoky Barrett hunted serial killers for the FBI. She was one of the best–until a madman terrorized her family, killed her husband and daughter, and left her face scarred and her soul brutalized. Turning the tables on the killer, Smoky shot him dead–but her life was shattered forever.

Now Smoky dreams about picking up her weapon again. She dreams about placing the cold steel between her lips and pulling
✨Susan✨
This book was recommended to me by a reading buddy because she loved it and because she knows I like Karen Slaughter books. It is the beginning of a series that is not at all light reading. A brutal tale with all the suspense and twists that make up a good crime thriller. On to the next book, I hope the series gets better as it goes.
Janet
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came to this not having had heard of the author before but on very high recommendations from trusted reading friends. I did some research; discovered that the author seems to have disappeared from the public writing arena (which is mysterious in itself) and that there are four books written in this particular series. So in I went and came away mostly happy - mostly! It was wasn't perfect, but here's what I thought.

It's clear from early on that McFadyen can write. His writing reads well with
Kevin
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kevin by: Christine
Smoky Barrett wakes up most nights screaming, reliving the torture and murder of her husband and daughter by a serial killer. She has been away from the FBI on leave and frankly doesn’t know if she will ever be able to go back to work. She can barely make it through a day. But when her best friend is killed by a serial killer who believes he is the ancestor of Jack the Ripper, she is pulled back in to the FBI by the killer himself. She soon finds her team helps make her feel needed as she chases ...more
Angela DeSilva
This is a very good serial killer fiction book. I loved Smoky Barrett! This is a very talented author. Just excellent writing. Author is well versed in forensics and profiling. I'm starting the second in the series straight away,The Face of Death!
*TANYA*
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book!! I was engrossed the entire time. Can't wait to read the next book of the series.
Linda Strong
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
SHADOW MAN (FBI AGENT SMOKEY BARRETT, BK 1) by CODY MCFADYEN

This was probably the third or fourth time I've read this book, and this entire series of four books. It is possibly one of the best series I have ever read. YES! It is that good!

Shadow Man introduces Smokey Barrett 6 months after a brutally traumatic experience. A killer she had been chasing breaks into her home, rapes and tortures her, leaving her with horrific facial scars. He also kills her husband young daughter.

Six months later
Mary
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Christine
Shadow Man was recommended to me by a trusted Goodreads thriller fan friend (Thanks Christine), who gave it an easy 10 (YES 10) stars! How could I resist immediately getting this book and reading it! Although I don’t completely agree with her 10 star assessment, it was still an extremely entertaining, thrilling read!

Smoky Barrett was a top FBI agent hunting serial killers until one night her and her family were terrorised by one. Her husband and daughter were killed, leaving Smokey alone and
Michele
May 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-shelf
I have no idea why this got such great reviews. It's dreadul, boring and slow. The author threw is as many gross, disturbing, and bizarre deatils simply for shock factor it seems. I don't think I'll be reading the next 2 in the series.
Travis
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love Love Loved this book!! ****Please note that it’s not for the faint of heart!
Brenda
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars. Intense, horrific & macabre.
Amy
TEN SHINY, "bleeping" STARS.

I know that is inappropriate, but my dear God. This book is terrifying. It's basically a psychological warfare on one's mind that things like this actually happen. People can be plain, old psychopaths. There is no cure for that and what is worse, there's more of them than we imagine.

I can't believe this was a debut novel. It is well written, gripping and the most twisted book I have ever read. Not that I am a library of knowledge, but I know what a great book reads
Kim Ebner
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough in this book. It's really gripping and although a few people have commented on the violence and the graphic nature of the book, I didn't find it excessive or very different from other serial killer books that I have read (Retribution by Julliane Hoffman comes to mind). Yes, its the story of a serial killer and some of the scenes are not nice and are uncomfortable, but I would expect this in a story about a deranged, crazy person who kills other people ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Wow, well that was intense. Right at the beginning, it does not shy away from anything does it? I had to take a break from the book now and then. Yeah, there's a lot of moments where you're like, what is going on and OMG and great, thanks for that. Yeah this book is weird.

And yet, you like some of the characters and want Smokey to get it together. Good thing she has support from her team. Near the end, I was like ohhh I knew it!

This was an intense start to a new mystery series. After catching
Donna
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a find! One of the best serial killer books I can remember reading!

Six months ago, Smoky Barrett's life came to a screeching halt as a serial killer she had been chasing broke into her house and tortured and killed her husband, daughter, and almost herself. Smoky shot him but she bears acute physical and emotional scars. Smoky has to make up her mind whether to kill herself or get back to the hunt as another serial killer sends a personal message to her and her elite team of investigators.

Ken Heard
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a typical "investigator was nearly killed in previous case by serial killer, hunts similar serial killer after recovery" novel, but Cody McFadyen turns this into a brilliant look at psychology, personal fears, loss of love, isolation and rebound.

The villian is also the most depraved, sadistic person I've ever come across in fiction. The killer's tormenting the various FBI agents and attacking their personal fears is very unsettling.

The only problem is that, if you are

• Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1)
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1)
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
  • Der Seelenbrecher
  • The Night Stalker (Robert Hunter, #3)
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • Der Augensammler (Der Augensammler, #1)
  • Hunting Evil (Robert Hunter, #10)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Passagier 23
  • One by One (Robert Hunter, #5)
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
Cody McFadyen is an international bestselling author of six thrillers. Five of those thrillers are centered around FBI special agent Smoky Barrett, who hunts serial killers. In 2011 his stand alone thriller Der Menschenmacher was published in Germany with no English translation. Before releasing book five in the Smoky Barrett series in 2016, McFadyen took four years off to care for his ailing ...more

Smoky Barrett (5 books)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Die Stille vor dem Tod (Smoky Barrett, #5)
“She doesn't speak, and I say nothing more. We just stare at each other, letting the tears roll down our cheeks. That's what tears are for, after all. A way for the soul to bleed.” 41 likes
“That's what tears are for, after all. A way for the soul to bleed. Pg. 109” 19 likes