Start by marking “City of Bones / City of Ashes / City of Glass / City of Fallen Angels / City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #1-5)” as Want to Read:

(The Mortal Instruments #1-5)

Don’t miss The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, soon to be a major motion picture in theaters August 2013.

The first five books in the #1 New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series, now available in a collectible hardcover boxed set.

Enter the secret world of the Shadowhunters with this handsomely packaged boxed set that includes City of Bones, City of Ashes, C
Published October 23rd 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Katy Davies
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are NO MAJOR spoilers in this review.

I’m back again, it seems! And with good purpose- I found the series written by Cassandra Clare from where I usually find things- The Internet- Tumblr to be precise. I find that a lot of people on Tumblr have good taste, but perhaps that’s being a bit open-minded.
None the less, The Mortal Instruments leads a thrilling story-line which follows a young red-head called Clarissa “Clary” Fray on her journey to discover her past and her heritage- with a bit-
Lisa
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya
My friend loaned me the first book in this series in trade paperback. I got through it in a day and was dying to read the next few, and when I went online to price the e-books, discovered the most economical choice was to purchase the first five in a single e-book. I read the subsequent four in short order, and I was very pleased with the series, in general.

First off, I don't read a lot of YA these days. I tend to lose patience with the characters too easily, but that didn't happen this time. In
Jinger
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is truly the best fantasy world I've read of so far. The story is so gripping and the plot is insane! I nearly broke window after the first book; it was so twisted in the end I wanted to hurl but at the same time the book was sooo good! I had to read the next book. And from then I was hooked. When I finished the City of Lost souls, book 5 I knew there would be more but then I discovered that I have to wait til September 2014! I wanted to punch myself! The books are that good. Will Book 6 be ...more
Shayna Varadeaux
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
***City of Bones

Oh my! This book is not a dull moment sort of book. I have to remind myself how old they are.
And holy moly!

******SPOILER ALERT!!!******

So by chapter 22 I was talking to myself with an audible OH My GAWD!
I am not happy that Clary is unlucky in love! But it will turn out fine I'm sure I am excited to read the next book!

***City of Ashes

So much happens in this book I was staggeringly stunned more than once! It was indeed a good read! Nail biting and polish chipping occurred! Now o
Jenny Jo Weir
Yes! This is how you do it! The story continues in a very well written manner full of twists and deceit but also full of love and power. I enjoyed reading these very much and was sad when it was over. I'll be checking out more of her books from here out.
Grace Alaye
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Grace by: it wa bought to keep me occupied.
no spoilers here. well some new names but no new spoilers.
the first book city of bones: was amazing. i couldnt set it down. jace and clary were just apart of it. the time line the minnor characters and all just blew my mind such a book exsisted.

city of ashes: spoiler alert after book one i had to read book two. magnus had a bigger role and so did alec. jace gave some surprises but simon almost broke my heart. clary and issabelle made me laugh the most. and luke is just awesome. that inquistor w
Kama
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kama by: Erica Griffin
I loved this series! It's like the next best thing since Harry Potter! It has tons of fantastical characters like vampires, wearwolves, warlocks, etc. It has romance, comedy, tradgedy, and epic battle scenes. It's about a group of demon hunters called "shadowhunters" which is like a mix between the angelic and human race that fight for good. I couldn't put it down! The books do grow increasingly "worldly" but still stay on a consistant PG13 level which I always find enjoyable. Loved it! I'd reco ...more
Just Another Bookish Blog
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this review will be a whole lot more straight-forward than my single-book series, as I'm reviewing it as a whole. This series is an amazing roller-coaster of emotions and plot, with tiny details that fit together like puzzle pieces to create an amazing story. It has its ups and downs, like any long series, however is wrapped up amazingly in the end!

Now I did the thing that so many people recommended, and read The Infernal Devices before reading the last three Mortal Instrument books, and, I m
Jessica Hult
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished the first three last year and lovvvved them!! They are now one of my favorite series. When I just heard that Cassandra Clare came out wiht two more in the series, I was so excited. I am currently reading Clockwork Price and I love that series too. Once I finish that, I will get the last two and add them to the first three that are on my shelf... but not before I read them!!! This is a great book for teens and I love it!!!
Natalie
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is never going to be a better series than The Mortal Instruments. It's better than any other novel I had read in my whole entire life! It really is such a phenomenal series I just couldn't elaborate to you enough. Clary, a stubborn 17 year old yet a very loving and caring person.Jace who sometimes could be very sacarstic but inside he is a softie... and then a warrior in the outside...lets say a Shawdowhunter. Simon, who would love Clary no matter what.
Bianca Villanueva
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just love Jace. It is a common teen fictional love story but what the heck, I love the series. Some may disagree with me but I like this kind of story. However, the phasing of the book is quite slow. I am a bit irritated on the character of Clary also. But overall, I liked the series and I'm just currently waiting for the last book!
Jess
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will never forget theses books. Loved every word. Every book was great, but I loved the first most of all. Romance, paranormal beings, mystery, heart ache, courage and love. Everything all in one! If you haven't read them.. What are you still doing reading this review?
Eureca Laurice
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: hey-ya, urban-fantasy
Overall rating of the series 1-5.
3/5 stars
J.L. Dobias
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-002
The Mortal Instruments Series (5 books): City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass; City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

I found the Mortal Instruments to be a delightful surprise. I was expecting a sort of mix of Harry Potter with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I wasn't disappointed in that. What bonus I received, though; this has several elements that remind me of the Nine Princes of Amber by Roger Zelazny and even a bit of Philip Jose Farmer's Tier Series. What I mean b
Ashley Mitchell
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’ve seen this book around a lot, but never really bothered to pick it up. Honestly, I’ll admit my faults and say I was a bit biased. I saw the cover, saw a boy on the front of it, and assumed it was from a males perspective. I’m on my women only kick, and didn’t even bother reading the synopsis to confirm or deny my suspicions. Bad Ashley.

So this series (at least books 1-3) is not from a males perspective, so i completely felt like a boob. The second half of the series (books 4-6) does switch q
Jennifer Layne
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 1:
Though I am way outside of the average age of a YA reader ... It was great!

Read it lightening fast because it was SO good! The world is built masterfully & the characters jump of the page.

I tore through this book & then was on to the next!

Book 2:
It was great!  ...  and so the journey continues ...

The world is built masterfully & the characters jump of the page; it is a joy to read and you really feel for Claire ... so much upheaval ...

I tore through this book & then was on
Lianna Nicole
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
If you skip over the incessant mind-numbing guilt trips/internal dialogues and teenage angst-driven conversations of *OMG wUt 2 dOOOoooOOO will they h8 mE?!?!?!?!*, the series can be quite engaging. I enjoyed the plot and character development most, with Magnus Bane of course being the #1 Awesomemess of the whole series. I'd love to just have a History of Life, by Magnus Bane series come out xD

Skipping over the aforementioned internal dialogues and teenage-relationship drama, I finished each boo
Renee Hawkins
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to see characters continue to mature

I like the Shadowhunter series. I like the Mortal Instruments but I love the Internal Devices series. I think it is personal preference. I liked this book because it was the characters mature. It brought up issues that would challenge all of our morals. Also this book is good for learning more out
Sasha
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I absolutely loved this series. I love the characters the most and how Cassandra Clare really shows how they grow and learn over the course of time and how they are faced with challenges that in away relate to some of our everyday life and how they are growing up. I would definitely recommend this series to anyone that likes romance adventure action and a little comedy.
Bookreader
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of YA fantasy (with a bit of romance in it), then you'll probably like these books. Light enjoyable reading. I was happy to read all of them. It made for nice breaks in my nonfiction reading.
Madeline
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that this book really set a new level of what writing could be in the future. I don't think other great books would be created without City of Bones being written.

This is a book i tend to think of often, because of the character creation as well as the adventures that go throughout.
Habiba Hasabo
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some books are not meant to be forgotten. This series is one of them. I can’t wait to reach the end.
Lindsay Hanson
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

Every element of these books is amazing. It has everything I look for in my fiction novels. Every character is complete.
Sonia
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
R. L. Carlo
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am hopelessly, irrevocably addicted to this series. I adore it. Even with the ridiculousness that is Jace and Clary. 🖤
Lisa
Aug 18, 2018 added it
Loved these books can't wait to read more from this author 😊
Alexander
Lady
Oct 31, 2015 is currently reading it
City Of Bones

Hidden Realities

This series must be read in order. This is the first book. I can't wait to read City Of Ashes to find out what happens next!

Clary is just an ordinary girl who is an exceptional artist just like her mother. Her best friend is a guy named Simon who is in a band. She never knew her (dead)father but her mom's best friend Luke has always been there for her. She leads an ordinary (if boring) life until she starts seeing people in the club Purgatory that noone else can. Is
Elyse
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Mortal Instruments is my favorite book series ever ! I will read it again & again that for sure. This book set is just beautiful, even if this does not include City Of Heavenly Fire.
Emma
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I was going to begin this review with a bashful disclaimer trying to absolve myself of guilt for reading a YA series but then the other day I came across this great piece
and I decided screw that. I'm an adult; I can read whatever I want. I've certainly read some crappy adult books just for pure fun (Sookie Stackhouse books anyone?), so if I want to read some crappy YA books for pure fun, I'm not going to feel ashamed about it. There.
That said, was this se

• The Iron Fey Boxed Set: The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen, The Iron Knight
  • The Complete Hush, Hush Saga: Hush, Hush; Crescendo; Silence; Finale
  • The Divergent Series 2-Book Collection (Divergent, #1-2)
  • Miranda Kenneally Bundle: Catching Jordan, Stealing Parker, Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #1-3)
  • The Dark Elements Volume One (The Dark Elements, #1-2)
  • The Immortals Collection (The Immortals, #1-4)
  • And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1-6)
  • The Beautiful Creatures Complete Collection (Caster Chronicles, #1-4)
  • Stay Tuned
  • Wait For You & Trust in Me (Wait For You, #1-1.5)
  • The Morganville Vampires, #1-12
  • Unhinged (Underworld, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Short Stories
  • Kim Harrison Bundle #2 (Hollows, 5-8)
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • The Fallen Series Trilogy (Fallen, #1-3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)
“And tell them what?" Jace said witheringly. "That invisible people are bothering you? Trust me, little girl, the police aren't going to arrest someone they can't see” 29 likes
“Usually, I’m remarkably goodnatured. Try me on any day that doesn’t end in y.” 1 likes