Start by marking “A Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry, #15)” as Want to Read:
A Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry, #15)

A Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry #15)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  661 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Jane Jeffry has a new hobby: the theater––specifically, a rundown theater that close pal Shelly and her husband have donated to a local college drama department. Jane has graciously agreed to lend her taste buds to the college's newest production, helping Shelly judge prospective caterers who will be feeding the actors. But soon she's drawn deeper into the real life drama ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Avon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Midsummer Night's Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Midsummer Night's Scream

Jim
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
The series started out okay, got better, kind of stagnated, then dipped down. Since I'd read all the others, and know the characters, I thought I'd catch up, with this one and the newest one (The Accidental Florist). Now I'm not so sure I'll read the next.

It almost seems like the mystery is a side issue that intrudes on the story once in a while. Some irony is the "play" in the book is bad, especially the ending. I thought the ending of this book was very anti-climatic (like an excursion from th
DaShannon
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Nancy Fredenburgh
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read Churchill in a long while and I enjoyed it immensely.Jane and her best friend Shelley have gotten into mysterious murders many times and this one revolves around college theater productions. Light, fast reading. Very enjoyable!
Pelican Rapids
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cpb
I didn't enjoy this mystery as much as I do Danielle Steele. As a matter of fact, I'm not much of a mystery reader.
Kitty Tomlinson
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Jane and her friend, Shelley, are involved in a play produced by the local university. Jane and Shelley show up each evening for rehearsals to check on the catering that Shelley has set up for the rehearsals. Murder occurs.
DaShannon
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've not read Churchill before and although I finished this one I didn't love it. Between a needlepoint class, catering details, and a subpar theater production, I felt like I was missing something. Maybe not reading the series in order makes a difference but several times something new was just being talked about and I didn't feel any introduction. The murders didn't seem to even be a big deal and the ending, although most cozies are, was predictable. Not a satisfying read. ...more
Drebbles
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2006
Jane Jeffry's friend, Shelley Nowack, has agreed to find caterers to provide meals for participants in a play the local community college is putting on and asks Jane to help her. Jane agrees, figuring she can work on her latest hobby, needlepoint, while watching the rehearsal. She also hopes to get some ideas for a new book that she is writing. But Jane gets more than she bargained for when an actor in the play is murdered and the janitor at the theater is attacked. Jane's longtime boyfriend, po ...more
Susan Schnelbach
Nov 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
A Midsummer's Night Scream is clearly a continuation of the slow downward slide in quality that began with Bell, Book, and Scandal, and ends with the horrible The Accidental Florist.

Bell, Book, and Scandal had, I think, only one change in viewpoint. A Midsummer's Night Scream had several changes in viewpoint, mostly from Mel's view, which is unusual in this series.

Despite the series name, A Jane Jeffry Mystery, Jane had almost nothing to do with solving this mystery. In fact, most of this book
Dharia Scarab
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
The obvious theme of A Midsummer Night's Scream is the theater, but this book had a lot more going on than that. We see Jane making progress in her blossoming career as a author, Shelley testing caterers, and the the two of them taking a needlepoint class. With so many different activities going on, readers are sure to find something to grab their attentions. I may not care much about acting or needlepoint, but I loved the look at Jane's road to publication as well as the culinary aspect of the ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I think this is one of Jill Churchill's best. Shelly is trying to find a new caterer for Paul's business dinners and she has chosen a number of caterers to provide food for a theater group. Jane accompanies her to taste the food and help evaluate the companies. By the second day, a body turns up and there are a few candidates for the murder.

Along with the crime is the story of one of the stars of the play, and elderly actress who wants to take a needlepoint class with Jane and Shelly. She turns
Judy Goodnight
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
It's been several years since I read any of the Jane Jeffry books so I thought I would just read the last two rather than go back to the beginning & re-read.

This book just didn't do much of anything for me. I thought the needlepoint class and caterer testing were quite distracting from what was supposed to be the mystery. The characters seemed pretty two-dimensional and the whole story rather flat.

Jane's only connection to the mystery seemed to be providing the link between the assault on th
Yvensong
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Maybe 2 1/2 stars. The character development was adequate and even though this is the first of the Jane Jeffry stories I've read, I had a good sense of who the characters were. One issue I had with the novel was the mystery seemed to be treated rather trivially while the more trivial background stories (such as needlepoint classes) seemed to be pushed into the foreground. Maybe the author was doing so, to give us a way to know one or two other characters, but it really was just distracting, and ...more
George
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
# 15 in the Jane Jeffry mystery series. In this mystery, Jane and her friend Natalie become involved in a murder at a college's theater. The college is putting on a theatrical production and Natalie's husband's company is sponsoring the catering for the actors during the rehearsals. An actor is murdered and another person is assaulted as Jane and Natalie help Jane's police detective boyfriend solve the mystery.
Cathie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading
Pretty good cozy mystery, the first I've read by this author. By the title I thought there may be some Shakespeare theme to it, but I guess not, at least I didn't notice any. Also I was puzzled why it is called a "Jane Jeffry" mystery when she really has nothing to do with solving the mystery, her boyfriend does. Other than that its a nice light and quick mystery read. The end ties up nicely.
Val
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A Jane Jeffry mystery. This time Jane and her neighbour are involved in providing the food for a college drama department who are putting on a play in a theatre owned by the neighbour's husband. There is a murder, of course, and things go from there.

Although I love everything about the theatre and drama I didn't find this book as interesting as others in the series.
Jenny
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, but not great. I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read other books in the series. Otherwise, the needlepointing and book publishing stuff seemed more of a focus than the mystery itself (which wasn't that creative).

By the way, I'm still puzzled why Tazz did such a 180 as a character. That wasn't ever explained.
Audry
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story, but I didn't like the way Jane's boy friend, Mel, treats her. He's OK, but not great. It feels like their relationship was superficial. The two heroines don't seem to have much to do in the way of the story. You could pretty much leave them out of it, and have the same story. It seems like the story is really about Mel, the police detective.
Carol
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another fun book from the Jane Jeffry series. This time Jane and her best friend Shelly get involved with a college drama presentation and the bodies start turning up as usual. I love these books because everything is always wrapped up very neatly, just the way I like it!
It's a fast fun read!
Kyrie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jane's taking on community theater. This story is good - I love the overly dramatic types in the theater - they just add to the humor. And yeah, one of them is killed and Jane and Shelley are trying to figure out who did it and why.
Debra McEathron
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
all of her books are quick fun reads. I like how she develops the characters over this series. This was about a college play. I love Jane and Shelley and how they are such good friends and share ideas.
Natalie
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it
The mysteries by Jill Churchill are light fluff without too much gore. Often you can figure out who did it. I like the characters, but sometimes there is too much detail about their lives and not enough about the mystery. Okay for the beach or pool when you get interupted by kids a lot!
Amelia
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book took me forever to finish. I am not sure what it was about, but the Jane Jefferies character had little to do with story. She could have been left out of the book and she would not have been missed.
Mary Newcomb
Catering for a community college's rehearsals? That seems a bit far fetched but then so does much of this mystery. I was pleased that justice was done and that Jane sold her book. However, I am not surprised that this series is almost done. It seems to be limping along.
Grey853
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I find the writing style simplistic and the plot predictable. The only saving grace for me is the relationship between the main characters. Plus, I liked that they were learning needlepoint.

Still, it was an easy read, nothing too stressful or graphic.
Martina Kopel
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The way Jill tells of the theatre people is great. I like the way she always researches before she writes. I also learned a lot about needlepoint, a new hobby for Jane and Shelley. You won't be disappoint with who was murdered or why.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging mystery. I had my suspicions about whodunit and when it was revealed, I remembered a clue about the motive that the author had thrown in early in the book (before the murder even).
April
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
listening to this on CD from the library
Connie
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
A light little novel without much depth but a good airline read.
Gheeta
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
A rather blasé tale which felt too predictable. As this is the fifteenth book in the series, I really doubt I'll hunt down any of the others.
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Midsummer Night's Scream 1 2 Dec 02, 2012 02:47PM
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Jane Jeffry (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)