Start by marking “The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation” as Want to Read:

Personal Transformation Based on Mindfulness and Self-Compassion

What's your most important goal? Why does it matter so deeply? How will you overcome the obstacles? Answer these questions with sincerity, proceed with mindfulness and compassion, and you have just set in motion a revolutionary method for personal change that is supported by both the latest science and
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Sounds True (first published April 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Neuroscience of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Neuroscience of Change

Start your review of The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation
Patrick
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good succinct crash course on a lot of the more practical research for how you can generally improve your overall mental well-being. McGonigal is an expert in many related areas and especially with how such things connect to mindfulness and meditative practices. I've read several books and taken some courses on topics like these and while they're always interesting and have something new, you start to see a lot of the same things crop up. While that makes any one book on the topic less ...more
Kim
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Using science to give ourselves a better quality of life is a wonderful idea. We can learn so much about what is working for groups of people and why...and what isn't working.

I learned a lot about how the brain works. There is so much valuable information in this book, I can't even begin to give it all a review.

However, I can't recommend this book enough. It's for those times when you ask yourself, "Why do I act this way?" and "What can I do to not do this next time?"

Whether you are
Mary
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent audio book. Dr. McGonigal does a terrific job of elucidating the science that supports mindfulness practices. Her explanations of why it is so difficult to stop "mind chatter" and to change habits and develop new ones helped me to be more tolerant of my frequent failed attempts. Dr. McGonigal has a nice voice and her guided meditations are very nice. She is one of my favorite psychologists.
John-Richard Pagan
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I tend to prefer the author live, on stage, she truly is talented in understanding the human condition, from a nueroscientific perspective.
Liz
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal.
Petrina
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice audiobook I will continue to listen to going to sleep when I need to come back to center.
Andy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you have never done meditation before this is a fantastic introduction. If you have an existing practice and have been doing it for awhile there is not much in here to learn.
Cyndie Courtney
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Audible.com
Pleasantly surprised by this book and definitely a great book to get on audiobook. The title makes it sound like the book will be very dry, but it wasn't at all. Instead, this book provides calming, practical advice for building the habits you want and explains how that advice fits into both science and the wisdom traditions like Buddhism. Addresses many of the paradoxes of change, such as how trying NOT to think about something makes us think about it more, or how when we are self-critical in ...more
Teo 2050
~3h @ 2x. Basic introduction to meditation with some neuro thrown in; parts of the brain weren’t referred to by name IIRC, just by function & analogies. I liked the reflective questions & found the author’s speech generally non-annoying. Visualization, imagining, reflections; e.g., “If anything were possible, what would you like to see?”, “What do you want to offer to the world?” followed by the relevant “What are you willing to let go of?”.
Tim Rymel
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the topic of neuroscience, but I could barely get through this. It wasn't as interesting as it sounded and I didn't like the audiobook.
Drishti Dehradun
Aug 08, 2019 is currently reading it
c
Greg
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Got this audio from Sounds True. It really seemed to do a good job of identifying what holds the mind back from being able to accept change, which the author calls the default state. The program is based on science and the wisdom traditions and includes guided reflections and meditations after each of the 6 sessions (the lecture portion). It is very accessible and is definitely one of those programs that have given me one of those "aha moments". I recommend it to anyone who is struggling with a ...more
Mandy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
Awesome. Empowering. I read the book because of class I teach and I found it enlightening. Self -compassion is NOT narcissistic. Something that I actually had to be taught. Wonderful exercises and very easy comprehend even when driving in traffic. It just makes sense.
Jon
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I really liked this audio program. Wish it was available in book form so I could go back, highlight and annotate the ideas and work the author has done. As it is, I will re-listen to this and take notes.
Bidisha Banerjee
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent audio-book. Does a terrific job of explaining the mind's default states, summarizing experiments, and linking science and the wisdom traditions. Great guided reflections and meditations.
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice work, Kelly!
Eizaburo
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this audiobook is very useful for me as a general introduction to meditation.
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I did the audiobook, which I would recommend because of all the meditations, and I listened to it over the course of several months. A kind of very helpful user's manual for a brain.
Lisa
Oct 12, 2016
Prashant
Nov 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart into a Visionary Leader
  • The Leadership Genius of George W. Bush: 10 Commonsense Lessons from the Commander in Chief
  • The Evolution of God
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Yellow Wallpaper
  • Joy Seeker: Let Go of What's Holding You Back So You Can Live the Life You Were Made for
  • Reinvention: Changing Your Life, Your Career, Your Future
  • Thinking: The New Science of Decision-Making, Problem-Solving, and Prediction
  • Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation
  • All About Cake
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • Milk Bar Life: Recipes & Stories
  • The Official Bright Line Eating Cookbook: Weight Loss Made Simple
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • Gratitude
  • Being In Light
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • The Afghan Wars: History in an Hour
Kelly McGonigal, PhD, is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, an award-winning science journalist, and a leading expert on the mind-body relationship. Her teaching and writing focus on the applications of psychological science to personal health and happiness, as well as public policy and social change.

She is the author of The Upside of Stress (Penguin Random House/Avery