Start by marking “Black Beauty” as Want to Read:
Black Beauty

Black Beauty

(3.2 Young Reading Series Two)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  208,989 Ratings  ·  3,952 Reviews
The timeless adventure of a horse with an unbreakable spirit.

Black Beauty is a handsome, sweet-tempered colt with a strong spirit. When his owners are forced to sell him, Black Beauty goes from a life of comfort and kindness to one of hard labour and cruelty. Black Beauty soon learns how unpredictable life can be with man as his master.
Published November 1st 1994 by Puffin Books (first published November 24th 1877)

James
Review
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell is a beautiful story meant for older children or very young adults. It was written in the 19th century by a woman who passed away shortly after its publication. I enjoyed the story and have given it a 3 of 5 stars, which is still very good in my book.

A few interesting things:

1. The point of view in the book is from Black Beauty, the horse.
2. It takes place in London nearly 150 years ago.
3. It's still a cherished story for both pleasure reading and education
Susan
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever read. I remember the day that I brought it in to show to my teacher, Miss Gerardi. She asked me if I could read it, so I started reading it aloud to her right away.

The story is told in Black Beauty's own words. Beauty's friends are hard to forget, especially high-spirited Ginger. Anna Sewall's words are full of loving empathy for these beautiful animals. The story was set in 19th century England, at a time when almost everyone came into frequent contact with horses
Ahmad Sharabiani
Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
Black Beauty is an 1877 novel by English author Anna Sewell. It was composed in the last years of her life, during which she remained in her house as an invalid. The novel became an immediate best-seller, with Sewell dying just five months after its publication, but having lived long enough to see her only novel become a success. With fifty million copies sold, Black Beauty is one of the best-selling books of all time.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز هجدهم ماه نوامبر سال 1990 میل
Dem
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

I had never actually owned a copy of this wonderful classic until very recently when I spotted this one well worn and loved in a house clear out of a relative and when I was asked if there was anything I would like to take as a memento I was so happy to give a home to this stunning book. Black Beauty was always out on loan from my school library and as a child I remembering cons
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thoughtful children and yes, adults.
This was one of my very first 'horse' books. I read it when I was nine or ten, and it left a deep impression on me.

Told from the viewpoint of the horse, it starts with Beauty's gentle upbringing and careful training. Well cared for and well mannered, Beauty is a valued animal with a good life at first. But a mishap or two is all it takes for Black Beauty to begin a downward spiral into a world where the appearance of an animal matters far more than its comfort, and into the depths where the onl
Sidharth Vardhan
Okay it had started as a review but it ended up becoming something totally different. It is rather dark, you have been warned.

"In Defense of Cannibalism"

"I think the story starts when, as a kid, I was a neighbor of this family of slaughterers for a short while and, though they did their work within walls of their house, still sitting inside our home, we could hear the cries of goats, full of pain, as they were being slaughtered. These cries would go on for several minutes. It was unbearable for
Carol
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
"My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.

BLACK BEAUTY, with the help of some of her friends and acquaintances, narrates her own life story in this absolute gem of a children's classic. I've always loved the beauty and grace of horses, but now have an even greater respect and appreciation for them......and their needs.

A few heartbreaking stories are told here, but the positive, encouraging message

Melody
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I revisited this classic horse story not knowing what to expect, really. I have found that I can't really trust my childhood memories. In this case, however, the years made no difference. The odd thing I noticed while reading this book was how completely I'd internalized the messages regarding animals and how one should treat them. I know that I must have read this 20 or 30 times before I was 14, but I didn't realize that I was memorizing whole chunks of it and grafting it into my moral code. It ...more
Chris
Black Beauty is one of those rare books that can preach without being preachy. Anna Sewell wrote this to illustrate the abuse of horses, in particulary the harsh use of the bearing rein. The bearing rein was used to get the horse's head arched, but made it difficult for the horse to breathe and near impossible for the horse to pull a carriage uphill. When Sewell died, the hearse to carry her body used horses with bearing reins. Her mother went out and made the driver get rid of them.

Another Sewe
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm sorry, I read this book when I was 6 or 7 and it almost scarred me for life..the sight of Ginger's body being carted away stayed with me for years. Between this, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Yearling, and of course Old Yeller I have to assume that somewhere there is a Marquis de Sade school of children's literature. I never gave these to my children as they were growing up (they had to make do with Narnia, Charlie Bucket, and some others). Neither the books nor the movies did I take them to ...more
Debbie Zapata
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturdaymx
Do not be expecting an objective review here. I have loved this book since a copy was given to me at the end of my sixth grade school year and have read it so many times I practically know it by heart. And as a matter of fact, I still have that very book! Here is the GR link for it, which did not take me nearly as long to find as I thought it might (there are nearly 800 editions of Black Beauty listed).

The story follows Black Beauty from his days as a foa
Duane
Very cute story and who wouldn't enjoy a story told from point of view of a horse. It brings animal abuse to the light of day which is a good thing.
Lisa Vegan
Aug 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves horses or well written children's literature
This book probably deserves 5 stars or at least 4, and I do recommend it to everyone, especially to girls who love horses. I’m giving it only 3 stars, however, not because I wasn’t one of those girls who were big horse fans (which I wasn’t really), but because for me it was just too emotionally harrowing. This might have been the first book I ever read that made me sick with depression. The horse goes through a lot of suffering in this book. Not for the overly sensitive but a beautifully told st ...more
AMEERA
DNF 50%
i love horses but sorry i can't
Manybooks
Anna Sewell's evocative, poignant and yes, often devastatingly brutal autobiography of a horse is a novel which even though I very much and dearly cherish and appreciate (and consider even somewhat of a favourite), I am also glad to have first read as an adult, and not as a child. Horses being amongst my favourite animals, particularly Black Beauty's trials and tribulations, his often neglectful and at times even deliberately cruelly abusive grooms and owners, the fact that there are also horses ...more
Sara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A timeless story that should be required reading for everyone, whatever the age. When this book was written, horses were used for every kind of pleasure and work, and were part of most upper class households. Many thought of them the way we think of cars, vehicles there for our use and disposable when they no longer meet our requirements. These, however, are sentient creatures, with needs and feelings, and Sewell wrote a moving and informative piece in their behalf.

Who would not fall in love wit
Irmak
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitaba başlamadan önce bir atın hikayesini okuyacağımı biliyordum fakat kitabın iç kapağında yazan 'bir atın otobiyografisi' yazısını görmediğim için atın ağzından okumayı beklemiyordum. O yüzden kitaba başladığımda bu durum beni şaşırttı.

Siyah İnci Anna Sewell'in yayınlanan ilk ve tek kitabıymış. Geçirdiği bir rahatsızlıktan dolayı hayatının geri kalanında at arabasında taşınmak zorunda kalmış Anna Sewell ve bu rahatsızlığın ölümcül olduğunu öğrendikten sonra yazmış Siyah İnci'yi. Atlara olan d
Barry Cunningham
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in my very early teens and loved it, it was a classic then and a classic now, beautifully written it just fires up a young persons imagination and evokes emotions. If you have not read this book then you must.
Merphy Napier
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, four-stars
I'm not sure this is a book I would rave about, but it is one I'm happy to have read. While I wasn't a fan of reading from the horses perspectives, it served it purpose and by the end I was really feeling for them. I learned a lot and I'll be thinking about this for a long time.
Piyangie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit
Black beauty is one of the most sensitive and heartfelt animal stories I have read. Being an autobiography of a horse, Black Beauty exposes the suffering of horses due to the thoughtless and cruel conduct of humans and advocates the need for their overall welfare. It is said that what inspired Anna to write the only book she ever wrote was to create social awareness of the suffering of horses and to induce to treat them with kindness, compassion and understanding.

Although the story is focused o
Nadin Adel
Black beauty is the only book written by Anna Sewell. I bought this book may be 17+ years ago, when I used to read illustrated and abridged versions of literature. Later on I deduced that would leak out the story's essence and turn it into complete fragility.

However, the story here is more of an annoyance to me. It is a story of a horse's life. I believe we cannot learn lessons from a horse's life as they are not humans and are not created for the same reasons we are created for.

I understand the
Werner
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 19th century fiction; kids with good reading skills
Shelves: classics, books-i-own
Note, Oct. 13, 2015: The review below is premised on the idea that this is a children's book; it's typically treated as such today, and I did read it as a kid. But my fellow Goodreader Fiona just made me aware that Sewall actually intended the novel for adult readers. This should be kept in mind in approaching and interpreting it!
**********************************

Since this is basically a children's book, my rating is based on my reaction to it as a child reader. If I re-read it now and rated i
You may read online here.

This a very touching novel by Anna Sewell who described the abuse of bearing rein in the horses. Nowadays this question of mistreatment of animals is becoming a harsh reality even in the XXI century.

A movie was made based on this book Black Beauty (1994).

Archit Ojha
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A poignant and strong read for me when I was a child. Emotional and informative.

Narrated by a horse, Black Beauty talks about Animal Rights.
Eryn
I read this as a child, many years ago. All I remember is that I loved the story, and wanted my mom to read it to me at least once a month.
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من الرائع حقا رؤية البشر وتصرفاتهم من وجهة نظر حصان خلال أحداث الرواية كلها وأيضا علي لسانه
لا أعتقد اني رأيت الفيلم من قبل ولكن اتمني رؤيته قريبا لأشاهد تجسيد الحصان الجميل "بلاك بيوتي" في الواقع
description

تلك الحيوانات الملوكية الحساسة التي تحتاج لعناية وفهم خاصين جدا
description

شعرت مع كل كلمة أن الكاتبة أصلها حصان وليست إنسان الطريقة التي تعبر بها عن إحساس "بلاك بيوتي" ومعاناته وآلامه كإنها عانتها من قبل

استغرب حقا كيف يستطيع إنسان معاملة هذا الكائن الرقيق بشكل خاص بتلك الوحشية ولجميع الحيوانات بشكل عام
وكإنهم لا
Winter
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
4,5 Stars

A lovely read, although very hard in parts. Even though there's plenty of happy moments there's also abuse and I teared up in the end.
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Full review here on The Bent Bookworm!*~

“Good luck is rather particular who she rides with, and mostly prefers those who have got common sense and a good heart.”

Black Beauty is a book of anthropomorphic animals. Highly intelligent animals. While told in the language of its time (roughly the 1870s-1880s), it still has an appeal to anyone with a love of animals and an even slight interest in history. The details included are absolutely fascinating and paint a exquisite picture of England and Lon
Brenda
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8-long-ago
This was my favorite book as a child. Although my edition was published in 1955 by Whitman, my cover is different than the one shown. I'll try to add a photo later. (Well, I can't seem to get the link correct and the image just gives an error.)

Try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/2214676...
Sara Jesus
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Uma história comovente e perturbadora. Relata-nos a história de amizade entre uma mulher e o seu cavalo. Eu amo cavalos. E um dia também queria aprender a montar num. Mas não saberia suportar a dor de perder o meu cavalo se tivesee um.
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • National Velvet
Anna Sewell was a kind and generous woman whose great love for horses and desire to see them better treated resulted in the most celebrated animal story of the nineteenth century.

Born into a strict Quaker family who lived at Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, she was brought up to believe in the importance of self-reliance, moral responsibility and 'tender consideration for the Creatures of God'. From an

3.2 Young Reading Series Two (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • The Firebird
  • Hamlet. Based on the Play by William Shakespeare
  • The Stinking Story of Garbage
  • Twelfth Night
  • The Story Of Cars (Young Reading Series)
  • The Story of Trains
  • The Adventures of King Arthur
  • Wizard of Oz (Young Reading Gift Editions)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • The Secret Garden
“It is good people who make good places.” 1648 likes
“If they strain me up tight, why, let 'em look out! I can't bear it, and I won't.” 563 likes