Start by marking “Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update Show Your Home Some Love” as Want to Read:
Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update  Show Your Home Some Love

Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update Show Your Home Some Love

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,169 ratings  ·  241 reviews
Design ideas for every style, skill level, and budget, from the beloved couple behind YoungHouseLove.com

This debut book by bloggers Sherry and John Petersik is filled with hundreds of fun, deceptively simple, budget-friendly ideas for sprucing up a home. With two home renovations under their (tool) belts, 5 million blog hits per month, and an ever-growing audience since th
Published November 5th 2012 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Young House Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young House Love

really liked it 4.00  ·

Kaethe Douglas
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is going to seem weird, because I don't really share the Petersik aesthetic which is modern and a little minimal. Nor am I crafty. The idea of filling my home with perfect vignettes, tablescapes, and curated shelves doesn't appeal to me. We have way more stuff than an family of four requires, and our taste is practically Victorian with all the inherited old furniture. My primary home-decorating interest involves dragging boxes of stuff off to the Friends of the Library book sale and the thr ...more
Rachel Smalter Hall
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty
I always have fun skimming through designy magazines, blogs and TV shows, and the Young House Love blog is no exception. The Petersiks are a super talented, creative duo whose whole house transformations are lovely and inspiring to those of us who like to daydream about taking on our own house projects.

As with many blog-turned-book deals, I was curious to see what kinds of projects would be included in the book that we hadn't already seen on the blog. There were lots of cute ideas about how to b
JDAZDesigns
Jan 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Another blog.
Another book deal.

No offense to the lovely couple who have done a fantastic job on their house. Their blog has been filled with fun, frivolity and pratfalls. But is it really book worthy? Will publishing ever go back to finding new talent? Or will publishing just stick with the automatic audience blogs present?

Repeats? Oh yeah. No new ideas here that aren't recycled on every DIY blog on the internet.

Rent, don't buy.

Nupur
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been reading Young House Love (the blog) for a while, and I like Sherry and John's voice- funny, dorky, warm and humble. The book has a similar voice. I like that the tips are grouped into rooms; while reading, I could visualize my own spaces and see if any of the tips were useful for me.

On the whole, I like their style of decoration- clean and bright with a touch of whimsy but much of their artwork (eg. displaying keys to previous homes) is far too sentimental for my tastes.

Some easy ideas
Patty
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This would be a great book to buy someone (or yourself) who has just moved into their first home/apartment, or for someone who loves to do diy projects on a budget. There are a ton of ideas on making your own home decor, re-purposing just about anything, how to hang art work, to stenciling your walls. I did think there would be more in this book about renovation of houses because that is a big part of their blog and their background, but nevertheless I wouldn't hesitate to buy this book. It woul ...more
Elizabeth
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found their blog last week (via Pinterest, of course) and guess what? They're done blogging! I read the last few posts and looked through their house tours and thought they both had an interesting approach to decorating so I got their book.

It's fine. Had I read this in 2012 or in conjunction with their blog perhaps I'd be blown away. Their conversational tone is cute (a little annoying in the intro because it's soooo "funny"), but I really like that they keep it real. They know their projects
Danielle
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've long been a fan of Sherry & John Petersik's home blog, Young House Love (formerly, This Young House). The book extends the familiar conversational style that the Petersiks are so well known for, and offers up a buffet of home DIY projects.

I especially like the abundance of photos in each project, guiding through the process. No matter what one's budget is, the Petersiks have a project for it. Advocates for thrift shopping, secondhand stores, and discount home stores (ie. HomeGoods, Habi
Aleks
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-design
I was so excited to get this book, I actually squealed when I got my hands on it! As a fan of the Young House Love blog I have been waiting for this to come out for what felt like forever. When I got the book I quickly skimmed all the projects and starting making notes and plans for my own home. I love how these projects are totally easy and financially realistic to do. The book is well written and organized with handy ratings of each project based on ease, expense and time. And even if you are ...more
Katy
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like to think that reading this book will make me a super decorator, one with a really cute apartment. I should note that my apartment is definitely not decorated nor is it very cute. I would love to try some of the ideas in this book, like gluing patterns of tissue paper on a canvas to make geometric DIY art, but I know that if I were to try it would just look like something a second grader made. That being said, there are some really basic ideas that I gleaned from this book, like having a b ...more
Mal
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Copied and pasted from Facebook:

I bought the nook book for $2.99. It was probably less appealing electronically, for starters, which I know isn't their fault. I felt like a lot of the projects were silly or not worth being listed as a suggestion. And I hated how they were like, "paint a lamp lime! Or eggplant! Or turquoise! Oh, but gray, white, or chocolate would work too." Like, "hey, did you know you can paint a lamp any actual color?!" I dunno, their blog has not been much fun lately. Maybe I
Katrina (trinakb)
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many great home decorating and easy renovation ideas. I love that they really think outside of the box and make the projects doable for even the beginner like me. I also love that the Petersiks are frugal like myself and they rate the price of each project; they really considered the wallet of their followers when they wrote this book. Even though their style tends to be more modern than mine I have found many of their projects adaptable, and I plan on trying to implement many on my own, Than ...more
Ashley
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
A quick, fun read by the YoungHouseLove bloggers.

First off, they're adorable. The book is written just like their blog and has some good ideas, though me being very uncrafty makes me doubtful I'll actually try any of these ideas.

I do love their attitude that you should love everything you put in your house. So I indirectly took their advice and have finally made an appointment with an interior designer to help us out with a few rooms. Perhaps she can incorporate some of their ideas for me.
Kricket
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
my boss just introduced me to this book and its blog. i'm house-shopping right now and getting so excited to nest and do things that aren't allowed in rentals. this is a great source for inspiration, and i like that they're upfront about how much things will cost and how long they'll take.

update: had to read again now that i actually own a house. soooo many things to do.

first read: october 2013
second read: november 2015
Leah Hortin
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. Sherry and John definitely stay true to their blog voice. Some of the ideas are really good, some are good refreshers for other things I've seen. It's a lot of just little tips and tricks so don't go in expecting anything revolutionary. My husband and I are currently in the process of buying our first home so I'm sure I'll be referencing back to this quite a bit (Painting a front door! Styling bookshelves! Painting furniture!).
Phoebe
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a novel.

I just wanted to clear that up. It's a decorating DIY book, but I loved it enough to write about it.

It is mostly pictures. I still I found it very well written. Each project is outlined succinctly and clearly. Easy and fun to read, yet full of useful information.

This would be a great book to give as a gift to anyone from new homeowner, someone moving into their first apartment, or your mother-in-law whose living room could use a serious update.
Tori
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has the same practical, fun, goofy feel as the YHL blog. It offers a lot of home projects organized by room, good pictures, and clear description of the time, money and energy required for each idea. Some of the concepts were similar to things they have done in their own home, but they offered new versions of the idea for fresh inspiration. This was a quick read that I know I will refer back to in the future.
Kristie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
This book wasn't quite what I was expecting. It is really a do-it-yourself manual for mostly inexpensive upgrades to your decor. I think this book would be great for a new couple starting out in their first home and trying to decorate on a budget. It has some great ideas for updating rooms and individual pieces, though some of the ideas I wouldn't want to try because they would be difficult to change if you wanted to update the rooms again in the future.
Lisa
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-home
As a fan of their blog, I knew I was going to like their book before I cracked it open. It's full of relatively quick and mostly inexpensive ways to "paint, craft, update, and show your home some love." Most ideas are unique from their blog, so readers of their blog get something fresh. John and Sherry are hilarious and quirky, which makes their book (and blog) very fun and enjoyable.
Lindsey
Jun 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Do you have pinterest or the internet? Ok, then save yourself $25 and skip this book. I think I spotted 2-3 original ideas in the entire book, and everything else was a rehash of something I've already seen. Worse, the book is very short on direction or instruction. It's just simple projects inspriation. Don't expect to learn anything.
Amanda Villarreal
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed with this book. Not sure what I was expecting but the hype they put on wasn't met. I still love their blog but the book wasn't the best. I did not like the hand drawn ideas. It felt cheap to me and like a filler when they ran out of ideas!
Amy
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic
I love that this book and the ideas are for normal "paycheck to paycheck" folks! So many home decor books include projects that either cost hundreds or that you need to have a garage full of expensive tools to accomplish. I got many good ideas from this book!
Meleofa
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love their blog, and this book is great! Lots of inexpensive and fun ways to change your house into your home. I loved it. It's on my wish list.
Debbie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Bought this one I liked it so much! Not a rehash of the blog, which is a refreshing change. Love having so many projects and tips all in one place.
Shawnie
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, library
I really like this book. It's full of easy and inexpensive ideas. I found a few small projects and gifts that my dad is going to work with me. :)
Amanda
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, homey
I'm Spring cleaning the home library, weeding out books to donate, and found this one. I must've picked it up somewhere and never really read it before. So I did.
Sadly, it already feels dated. (The waste and non-eco-friendliness of constantly changing trends and consumerism is a total bummer.) Then again, this was never my style in the first place, so who knows. BUT, what a likable couple! Their book is loaded with ideas that can be adapted to individual style. Even if I don't plan to use them,
Cynthia D
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: is-on-sfpl, hobbies
Just to start: I've never read their blog, but...

I borrowed this from the library, and thought it was a pretty nifty book. It has a lot of ideas to decorate your abode; I appreciate that they had the idea of keeping it cheap and using IKEA and sweat equity for many projects. There were definitely ideas that you could find on Pinterest, but the variety of ideas in this book along with details (and not dead links or a crap-ton of ads) made this appealing. I think if I owned my own property, I woul
Ligaya
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nothing new for me in this book but I'm thinking this will appeal to those new to home ownership and don't have any sense of how to make their space feel comfortable. I wish there was more focus on starting with a quality piece, even if it was fished out of a dumpster on dragged in from the curb. Time is a valuable commodity, and I'd rather spend mine on a piece that will stay with me for a while. Also, I found the suggestion to "Start a Collection" to be laughable. Really? If you don't collect ...more
Scrapsandsass
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
There were some great ideas, some fun ideas and some *meh* ideas. I think for most DIY-ers, there's something to be found. I think well-seasoned DIY-ers might have less to bookmark, but it's still a worthwhile read.
Sara Larson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a bigger picture "how to decorate" book. This is more of a bunch of projects. Good pictures and helpful info (how long and how much it will cost). Also several new ideas I hadn't seen before!
Colleenish
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for number of mostly low stakes DIY ideas. There are several ideas for decorating lampshades, for example. I liked some of the ideas, but didn't find good advice and pictures for unifying a room.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • Amy Butler's Midwest Modern: A Fresh Design Spirit for the Modern Lifestyle
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Bright Bazaar: Embracing Color for Make-You-Smile Style
  • domino: Your Guide to a Stylish Home
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home: Painting, Crafting, and Decorating a Cheerful, More Inspiring Space
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
Sherry and John Petersik are the married duo who chronicled their home improvement adventures on the hit DIY blog Young House Love, which spawned a New York Times–bestselling book of the same name, as well as product lines sold by Target, Home Depot, and more. They live in Richmond, Virginia, with their two young children and a feisty Chihuahua named Burger.
“Space is a precious thing to waste. You don't want to fill your house with anything that doesn't directly add to your happiness.” 6 likes