Start by marking “Mad Hungry Cravings” as Want to Read:
Mad Hungry Cravings

Mad Hungry Cravings

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Your family has a hankering--a yen for chicken tikka masala or queso fundido, for shrimp pad thai or a Philly cheesesteak--and they want it bad. So you decide to eat out at a local ethnic or roadside restaurant, or do take-out. It's expedient, but is the food really that good? Really really good? Because Lucinda Scala Quinn's versions of all those dishes families crave wil ...more
Published March 19th 2013 by Artisan (first published March 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Hungry Cravings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Hungry Cravings

Naomi Blackburn
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I ended up giving this book 5 stars for the uniqueness of this cookbook. I would certainly say the better chunk of the recipes were unique or she gave her own flare to them. As I do with most of my cookbooks, I viewed this from my library first, I have about 2 handfuls of recipes to copy and am seriously considering purchasing it for convenience. That is how many recipes piqued my palate. A better chunk of the recipes seem to have much more of an Asian flare, but she doesn't limit it to there. F ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, read-2013
This one is going on my list to buy..I think I gained 15 pounds just from the beautiful pics. Lovely cookbook full of foods my family would scarve up like it was their last meal.

I get different cravings and she even covers them..has section of just comfort cravings, indian, asian or mexican food..she covers it. I like that the author uses whole foods in most of her cooking. I could see this book becoming one of my favorites.
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You’ve been there – it’s 1:15 AM and you’re awake, jolted out of a doze-fest by the call of your stomach. Or you’re faced with making dinner for one or two – and the pile of take-out menus is looking very inviting. Then there are some days the standard family staples just don’t cut it – but since money is generally tight and diets are increasingly more complex, dialing in or going out is no longer a “get up and go” process. But cravings happen, and when they do Lucinda Scala Quinn is there to he ...more
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook! It is completely accessible to the average home cook, but anyone picking it up is sure to find some new recipes and inspiration. I love the world pantry /staples information at the beginning and the “good to know” information scattered throughout.
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hungry….? Should you go and grab a take-out? Do you feel like making something yourself? Can you? Will you?

Questions, questions. This book at least sets out to show that you can satisfy your culinary cravings at home without a lot of hassle or fuss. What is more, the author believes that, unless you make a total mess of things, your finished dish will be a lot tastier, cheaper, healthier and maybe even faster to table than the take-out version.

After a bit of an introduction and interesting, insp
Jennifer Sikora
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love cookbooks, so when I saw this for review in NetGalley, I knew it would be on my list to check out. I am SO glad I did. There are so many delicious recipes inside (some of which I will share with you in the next couple of weeks) that will leave your mouth watering and your tummy rumbling.

Lucinda Scala Quinn asserts that you can make your favorite comfort foods at home, and they will be healthier, tastier, faster, and cheaper than getting the restaurant version. After a few minutes of perus
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I expected to find recipes for the kind of food I wish for late at night. And some of it is there: pork fried rice, pad Thai, deep dish pizza. But when there are all these gourmet recipes for things I've never heard of, much less had my family clamor for me to put on the table, I'm very puzzled by the book. Aveglemono? Endive and date salad with Parmesan? Really? And I can see that if her point is to encourage home cooking for the family, blueberry pancakes and meatloaf are good standards -- but ...more
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I literally want to make every single recipe in this book. Everything I might have a midnight craving for is in here, and with a simple enough recipe for me to navigate with very little cooking experience. Perfect guac? In here. Insanely simple pancakes? Pulled pork? Fried fish? Loaded potato skins? Homemade tater tots? It's all in here and I could eat it all for the rest of my life. The book is also full of beautiful color photos of food you want to eat RIGHT NOW, so just flipping through it wi ...more
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I am a fan of Lucinda Scala Quinn and when I sometimes see her TV show, the food that she has prepared makes my mouth water. Her salads are unique and I can't wait to try the Beet, Carrot and watercress salad and the Crunchy Fennel Orange Salad and the Cucumber, Red Onion and Dill Salad. The vegetables look as yummy and Braised Green Beans and Chickpeas sounds interesting as do the Maple-Thyme Roasted Carrots.Her meat and pasta and potato dishes look well worth trying also.
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This cookbook inspired me to finally make an Indian dish (chicken tikka masala)! And it was good! Lots of pictures and recipes I would actually try. There are fewer lengthy anecdotes than her first book, which I appreciated (sorry, but I don't really care THAT much about your family). Not necessarily a cookbook I'd need to own, but it was fun to read and I saved ideas and recipes for the future.
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea for this collection of recipes much more than the actual recipes themselves. I was interested in the sesame chicken, chicken alfredo, and some of the mixed drinks but they were all too high-minded and weren't really things that I was interested in once I saw the recipe itself. The introduction was very well done, though!
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I miss Mad Hungry on tv. I have Lucinda Scalla Quinn first book Mad Hungry and use it every so often. This book is similar. Easy recipes with wholesome ingredients. She doesn't use process foods. She leans to ethnic dishes--asian and italian. Delish.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Good variety of recipes
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Everything sounded great, but not to the point where I wanted to make it (which was Quinn's point).
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seriously. Incredible. Food.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Plan to buy. My kind of not so good for you food. The grilled cheese sandwiches with mayo instead of butter were life changing.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
All sorts of dogeared pages on this one. After all the recent health department closings, the banh mi recipe may be one of the first to try.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great pictures and solid recipes.
Brianon Sheffield
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
amazing! I read it cover to cover, and have already made 3 recipes from it, with great success.
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't imagine why I didn't buy this book sooner! Great recipes, clear instructions and useful tips throughout - what's not to like?
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everything looks amazing I can't wait to begin trying her recipes.
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes. And I like Lucinda's philosophy too.
Erin DeGroot
Sep 19, 2013
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Homemade with Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen
  • Breakfast for Dinner: Recipes for Frittata Florentine, Huevos Rancheros, Sunny-Side-Up Burgers, and More!
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Cooking with Love: Comfort Food that Hugs You
  • Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill: With More Than 125 Bold New Recipes
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • The Chew: What's for Dinner?: Over 100 Mouthwatering Recipes to Make Your Weeknights Easy and Your Weekends Sensational
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Michael Symon's 5 in 5: 5 Fresh Ingredients + 5 Minutes = 120 Fantastic Dinners
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • My Perfect Pantry: 150 Easy Recipes from 50 Essential Ingredients
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners