Start by marking “The Gift of the Magi” as Want to Read:
The Gift of the Magi

Read Book

The Gift of the Magi

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  81,392 ratings  ·  1,822 reviews
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published December 10th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of the Magi, please sign up.
CINE-BOOKS What is a good recipe for a love-story? Take a couple madly in love, add some money problems and spice it up with an upcoming Christmas.

The Gift of th…more

The Gift of the Magi is a timeless story about sacrifice and love that will never lose its charm and its universal appeal. A beautiful romantic tale that will make you rethink your relationships and force you to go hug the person you love.

Beautiful photorealistic illustrations and music add even more emotion to this insightful story about the rewards of unselfish love. So, sit back, relax and read how Della and Jim, in spite of the lack of money, try to make each other a bit happier and a bit richer in their own way. (less)

·  81,392 ratings  ·  1,822 reviews

Start your review of The Gift of the Magi
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2018 update: I read it again. And got misty-eyed again.
Go read it. Here's a handy link: https://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/Gift_...

In this classic 1905 Christmas story, one of O. Henry's best and most famous (free online at Amazon and many other websites), we meet Della and Jim, a young married couple who are as poor as church mice.

description
All Della wants is to buy her beloved Jim a wonderful Christmas present ... but even after saving every penny for months, all she has is $1.87. A way to get enough mon
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Gift of the Magi, O. Henry

The Gift of the Magi is a short story, written by O. Henry (a pen name for William Sydney Porter), about a young married couple and how they deal with the challenge of buying secret Christmas gifts for each other with very little money.

As a sentimental story with a moral lesson about gift-giving, it has been a popular one for adaptation, especially for presentation at Christmas time.

The plot and its twist ending are well-known, and the ending is generally consider
Annet
I did not know this short story, thanks to Amalia, who brought me to this short book! In the spirit of Christmas, this is a heartwarming story about a young and poor couple who both, without knowing it from each other, sacrifice something personal and precious, to give each other a present at Christmas.
Lovely, a classic I see here now, happy I have read it, recommended!
Merry Christmas everyone!
Amalia Gavea
“Life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.”

One of the most beautiful, most touching Christmas stories, set in New York at the beginning of the 20th century. A young couple is anticipating Christmas but the era is difficult and money is nonexistent. However, Christmas is a time for sharing and the young woman sacrifices the one thing she treasures the most to buy a gift for her beloved. The young man parts with a treasured heirloom to find the means for a spe
Lawyer
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lawyer by: Miss Robins, English Teacher, Seventh Grade
O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi," illustrated by Lizabeth Zwerger was among my gifts to my wife our first Christmas together. It is one of our annual traditions that I read it to her each Christmas. Yes, I'm hopelessly romantic. I imagine we'll finally hit a year when I hear a gentle snore when she nods off as I'm reading.

"ONE dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and
Angela M
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful reminder of loving and giving. Merry Christmas!
Calista
I recently read this for the first time as a short story in a collection of O. Henry’s works. This is done up as a children’s picture book. I don’t think it works all that well as a children’s book. It is too wordy and there are a lot of words needing to be explained to them (not that that’s bad and I rather like introducing new words, but there are a lot at once).

The artwork was lovely, very sparse with a feeling of poverty, desperation, and some warmth. You can see that Jim and Della love eac
PattyMacDotComma
I love this old O Henry story, first published in 1905, and I like to re-read it every now and then. Seemed like a good finish for 2016.

“One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one’s cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the
Toni
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This has been one of my favourite stories since I was a child. Can't imagine winter holidays without reading this one.
Sheri
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely Christmas read that demonstrates how sacrifices are much easier to carry out and bear when one knows and shows unconditional love.

Read online at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7256/7...
Ines
It is so delicate this story, I don’t deny that at the beginning it seemed a little exaggerated this visceral love, so much to get an haircut in order to find money for husband's gift. At the end the tenderness of this love, between this wife for her husband, really melted my heart....
I read it with my 7-year-old daughter, who did not understand at once that for a great love, the wife offered and gave everything she had most precious.... when she grasped the concept, looking at the wonderful ima
Brian Yahn
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Gift of the Magi gives you an interesting question to think about: is it worth it to sacrifice one thing you love for another? Sort of like a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. While the twist ending cleverly ties the story into a nice Christmas bow, and the prose is enjoyable the whole way through, the the moral doesn't really resonate for me. It's like an analogy that doesn't work.

Regardless, it's probably one of the best things to read on Christmas.
Charles  van Buren
Wonderful to read anytime but particularly at Christmas

Review of free Kindle edition
A Public Domain Book
Publication date: May 12, 2012
Language: English
ASIN: B0082Z3S3G
26 pages
This a is review of the described edition only. Not of
the dumbed down version edited by George Lakon.

One of or maybe the most beloved of O. Henry's stories. A Christmas standard for many people, this is a moving tale of true love, sacrifice and wisdom.

"The Gift of the Magi" is one of the best segments in the 1952 movie, "
Phrynne
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2020
A perfect story to read around Christmas time. I had not read it before - thank you Amalia for bringing it to my attention.

It is a short story about loving and giving. It is very sweet, a little sad, but ultimately very reassuring. O. Henry is regarded as an excellent writer of short stories and this one shows why. To pack so much into so few pages requires great skill.

It was so enjoyable I read it twice to make sure I had not missed a thing.
Karen
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming Christmas story 😍
Dem
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful little book for the Christmas season. I really enjoyed this little story set on Christmas Eve which tells the story of the true meaning of gift giving.

I listened to this version and what a treat it was and I loved the little twist.

Thank you to my Good Read Friends Diane and Carol for bringing this little book to my attention as I had never heard of it before.

I hope to source a couple of copies of this for Christmas gifts as I think this little book would make a perfect present f
Rebbie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is a timeless classic, and should be read by everyone at least once. In just a few short pages, O. Henry manages to convey one of life's heaviest lessons: love is the greatest gift of all; it is truly invaluable, unlike any material item one can buy.
Bionic Jean
Who does not love presents? Especially those with an element of surprise. The wondering, the planning, the heart in the mouth moment when the present is actually given …

But in your mind’s eye, are you the recipient, or the giver?

As we go through life, this seems to change. Tiny children love their own birthdays, and also feel almost unbearably excited waiting for Santa Claus to come. As they grow older, the idea of giving someone they love a present grows in appeal. By the time they are fully ad
Carol
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
First published in 1905, this delightful little story (with a twist) depicts the true meaning of love and giving during the Christmas season.

A first time read for me.

Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2017
Hahaha....
Sorry! I shouldn't have laughed but I couldn't control. Well ending was kind of funny but also kind of emotional for me.

This story is a part of my English Textbook in College. So definitely had to read it. My English Professor gave the intro. of this story today and I read it while coming to home from college.

OVERVIEW
This story is about love. Della and Jim (husband and wife) have great love for each other. Both want to give each other a gift on Christmas. But they can't afford. S
Connie G
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The Gift of the Magi" is one of my favorite Christmas stories. It shows a poor young couple sacrificing to give each other something special for Christmas. Although they are materially poor, they are emotionally rich in their love and devotion to each other. The story has a beautiful message and a twist at the end.
Duane
Known as a Christmas story but it plays well at any time. O'Henry uses irony to tell a classic story of selfless love, sacrifice, and the power of giving. I can't imagine anyone not liking this story.
Diane S ☔
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: let-it-snow
What a wonderful little heartwarming story. One that represents what I think is the true spirit of Christmas. Sacrifice, giving and love.
Candi
4 stars

"Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. They are the magi."

A lovely short story about the true meaning of Christmas. While caught up in the rush and chaos of the holiday season, I am thankful to be reminded of what is truly important - love, sacrifice and the giving of one's own self to another. Do yourself a favor and take a moment to read this timeless classic!
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A story that has made a lot of girls cry! :p
A very nice story with an emotional twist.
Anish Kohli
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remember this story being part of my college curriculum. An engineering college, no less. So they did teach us literature, I guess. This was also the story that sparked a difference of opinion with my English teacher, the details of which I will skip, and as a result, I wasn’t allowed to sit in my English classes for the entire semester! Cool, eh? Yep, I was that kinda kid! Still am! Kraken doesn’t lash out at books alone! ;)

Anyway, I picked it up as a Christmassy sort of a read, having compl
Cheri
”Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. They are the magi."

A short story by O. Henry about sacrifice, the true meaning of Christmas not being found in a toy store, or a department store, or a jewelry store, but in the love we share by giving of ourselves.
Pooja
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owns, short-novels

I read The Gift of the Magi in my high school. Many short stories will come but this story won't leave my mind.

This couple's gift receiving and giving ideas are so different and fantastic, it can't be put into words.
Calista
From a collection of stories “Stories by O. Henry
This short story is short. It’s 7 pages. We meet Della, a wife longing to buy her beloved husband a lovely gift but she only has $1.87. What is she going to do? The couple has 2 treasures: the husbands gold watch and her beautiful long hair.

I now know that this is what Emmett Otter is based off of, but that had a better ending on it than this little story. Needles to say, both of the couple sell their treasure to buy a gift for the other person.
Veronique
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Many a happy hour she had spent planning for something nice for him. Something fine and rare and sterling—something.”

I hadn’t heard of this classic tale, but this Christmas, a friend of mine read it, plus it was mentioned in a Christmas film. That piqued my curiosity! Imagine my surprise when said friend send it to me!!! :O) Thanks Trish!

Well, this was such a lovely story, very simple and yet so charged with meaning and feeling. The artwork in this illustrated edition works beautifully, showin
Catching up on Cl...: The Gift of the Magi - December 2017 37 115 Dec 08, 2019 04:27AM
Retro Reads: Dec. 2017 #4: "The Gift of the Magi" 26 22 Dec 18, 2017 08:20PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Gift of the Magi - *SPOILERS* 16 104 Dec 26, 2016 04:48PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Gift of the Magi - pre-read 4 138 Dec 02, 2016 07:21AM

• The Necklace
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • The Lady or the Tiger?
  • The Lottery
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • Christmas at Red Butte (Illustrated)
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Raven
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Fifty-First Dragon
  • The Sniper
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • Confido
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d

Articles featuring this book

The holiday season is all about comfort and joy, but—let's be real—it can be a bit hectic too. That's why we suggest cozying up with a b...
“Life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.” 774 likes
“The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.” 35 likes