Start by marking “The Gift of the Magi” as Want to Read:
The Gift of the Magi

Read Book

The Gift of the Magi

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  74,263 Ratings  ·  1,492 Reviews
One dollar and eight-seven cents is all the money Della has in the world to buy her beloved husband a Christmas present. She has nothing to sell except her only treasure -- her long, beautiful brown hair. Set in New York at the turn of the twentieth century, this classic piece of American literature tells the story of a young couple and the sacrifices each must make to buy ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published December 10th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of the Magi, please sign up.
CINE-BOOKS What is a good recipe for a love-story? Take a couple madly in love, add some money problems and spice it up with an upcoming Christmas.

The Gift of…more

The Gift of the Magi is a timeless story about sacrifice and love that will never lose its charm and its universal appeal. A beautiful romantic tale that will make you rethink your relationships and force you to go hug the person you love.

Beautiful photorealistic illustrations and music add even more emotion to this insightful story about the rewards of unselfish love. So, sit back, relax and read how Della and Jim, in spite of the lack of money, try to make each other a bit happier and a bit richer in their own way. (less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this classic 1905 Christmas story, one of O. Henry's best and most famous (free online at Amazon and many other websites), we meet Della and Jim, a young married couple who are as poor as church mice.

description
All Della wants is to buy her beloved Jim a wonderful Christmas present ... but even after saving every penny for months, all she has is $1.87. A way to get enough money to buy him a present suddenly occurs to her. It will be a sacrifice, but she doesn't waver.

I don't know how many times I've rea
Lawyer
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lawyer by: Miss Robins, English Teacher, Seventh Grade
O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi," illustrated by Lizabeth Zwerger was among my gifts to my wife our first Christmas together. It is one of our annual traditions that I read it to her each Christmas. Yes, I'm hopelessly romantic. I imagine we'll finally hit a year when I hear a gentle snore when she nods off as I'm reading.

"ONE dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and
Brian Yahn
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Gift of the Magi gives you an interesting question to think about: is it worth it to sacrifice one thing you love for another? Sort of like a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. While the twist ending cleverly ties the story into a nice Christmas bow, and the prose is enjoyable the whole way through, the the moral doesn't really resonate for me. It's like an analogy that doesn't work.

Regardless, it's probably one of the best things to read on Christmas.
PattyMacDotComma
I love this old O Henry story, first published in 1905, and I like to re-read it every now and then. Seemed like a good finish for 2016.

“One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one’s cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the ne
Rebbie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is a timeless classic, and should be read by everyone at least once. In just a few short pages, O. Henry manages to convey one of life's heaviest lessons: love is the greatest gift of all; it is truly invaluable, unlike any material item one can buy.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Gift of the Magi, O. Henry
"The Gift of the Magi" is a short story, written by O. Henry (a pen name for William Sydney Porter), about a young married couple and how they deal with the challenge of buying secret Christmas gifts for each other with very little money. As a sentimental story with a moral lesson about gift-giving, it has been a popular one for adaptation, especially for presentation at Christmas time. The plot and its twist ending are well-known, and the ending is generally consid
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, short-stories
Hahaha....
Sorry! I shouldn't have laughed but I couldn't control. Well ending was kind of funny but also kind of emotional for me.

This story is a part of my English Textbook in College. So definitely had to read it. My English Professor gave the intro. of this story today and I read it while coming to home from college.

OVERVIEW
This story is about love. Della and Jim (husband and wife) have great love for each other. Both want to give each other a gift on Christmas. But they can't afford. So
Dem
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful little book for the Christmas season. I really enjoyed this little story set on Christmas Eve which tells the story of the true meaning of gift giving.

I listened to this version and what a treat it was and I loved the little twist.

Thank you to my Good Read Friends Diane and Carol for bringing this little book to my attention as I had never heard of it before.

I hope to source a couple of copies of this for Christmas gifts as I think this little book would make a perfect present f
Carol
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
First published in 1905, this delightful little story (with a twist) depicts the true meaning of love and giving during the Christmas season.

A first time read for me.

Duane
Known as a Christmas story but it plays well at any time. O'Henry uses irony to tell a classic story of selfless love, sacrifice, and the power of giving. I can't imagine anyone not liking this story.
Diane S ☔
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: let-it-snow
What a wonderful little heartwarming story. One that represents what I think is the true spirit of Christmas. Sacrifice, giving and love.
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A story that has made a lot of girls cry! :p
A very nice story with an emotional twist.
Anish Kohli
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remember this story being part of my college curriculum. An engineering college, no less. So they did teach us literature, I guess. This was also the story that sparked a difference of opinion with my English teacher, the details of which I will skip, and as a result, I wasn’t allowed to sit in my English classes for the entire semester! Cool, eh? Yep, I was that kinda kid! Still am! Kraken doesn’t lash out at books alone! ;)

Anyway, I picked it up as a Christmassy sort of a read, having compl
Pooja
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owns, short-novels

I read The Gift of the Magi in my high school. Many short stories will come but this story won't leave my mind.

This couple's gift receiving and giving ideas are so different and fantastic, it can't be put into words.
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
داستانی بسیار زیبا و تأثیر گذار از عشق دختری به نامِ «دلا» و شوهرش «جیم».... هر دو عاشقانه یکدیگر را میپرستند، با آنکه توانایی مالی ندارند و در یک اتاقِ کوچک که تنها یک تخت و یک آیینۀ دیواری شکسته دارد و یک قالیچه قرمز رنگ که در کف اتاق پهن شده، زندگی میکنند
شب کریسمس است... «دلا» تنها یک دلار و هشتاد و هفت سنت دارد، و با این پول نمیتواند برای «جیم» هدیۀ مناسب تهیه کند... ارزشمند ترین دارایی «دلا» موهای بلند و زیبایِ اوست ... لذا موهای خود میفروشد و با پول آن برای «جیم» زنجیر طلایی میخرد تا به سا
Candi
4 stars

"Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. They are the magi."

A lovely short story about the true meaning of Christmas. While caught up in the rush and chaos of the holiday season, I am thankful to be reminded of what is truly important - love, sacrifice and the giving of one's own self to another. Do yourself a favor and take a moment to read this timeless classic!
Avinash
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read this story first when I was in 6th or 7th Standard. I was too young to comprehend the meaning of this story back then. But since then I have read it few times and somehow I made this perception that Della and Jim weren’t perfect for each other. I know it’s a very unpopular opinion but I had my logic. I think almost everybody know their story so you see, they loved and cared for each other so much that they ended up hurting each other. Extreme of anything is harmful, even if it’s love ...more
Emma
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. I remember watching a film of this as a child.I only read this as it was free and to fulfill a bingo challenge. Little did I know it would come with a free gift: nostalgia!
Shirley Revill
I read this book some time ago and I must admit it's one of my favourite stories.
Sara
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I find that I love this story just as much now as I ever did. It is about unconditional love that puts the beloved first. The world could use a little more of that...a willingness to part with what we most value in order to please another.
Ammara Abid
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One dollar and eighty-seven cents 💓
Paula Kalin
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful holiday short-story classic. Makes you think about the insignificance of materials things and the happiness sacrificing for your loved ones brings.

4 out of 5 stars.
Connie
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The Gift of the Magi" is one of my favorite Christmas stories. It shows a poor young couple sacrificing to give each other something special for Christmas. Although they are materially poor, they are emotionally rich in their love and devotion to each other. The story has a beautiful message and a twist at the end.
Shayantani Das
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The number of great stories you can “sneak read” between lectures is surprising :p

It’s equally surprising when short stories manage to melt your heart when sometimes 1000 pages fail to do so. Generally those stories are written my masters like O Henry, Leo Tolstoy, and Guy De Maupassant etc. The Gift of magi is one such story and it is also connected with some amazing memories. 5 stars all the way..
Magdalen
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I am overwhelmed by a feeling I cannot define. Should I be laughing? Should I be having second thoughts about how I view gifts? Should I be sad?
This is a story of a couple whose unconditional love for each other made them sacrifice the most important things they owned to buy each other a Christmas gift. See the twist in the end was definitely smart and gave me a heart warming feeling with a sad sensation...
I should thank my uncle for suggesting O.Henry to me!
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
I just read the Goodreads description for this story and laughed my ass off:
O. Henry's classic tale of Della and Jim, the struggling newlyweds so anxious to give each other a Christmas gift that each sells the one thing the other holds most dear, receives an oddly lifeless treatment here. Heyer's meticulously detailed illustrations are pretty but stilted; the characters look like mannequins. The rueful Jim fares better than the poor prematurely middle-aged Della, who at times looks more like his
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
December read with my favorite Pantaloonless Group.

Read a book set at Christmas.

God I wish I liked this more. My two stars is a reflection of the quality of the story itself and not what it was trying to say. Though the whole thing was so sweet it was like I fell into a lake of chocolate or something.

This story primarily centers on Christmas and the act of giving, and how love is stronger than material possessions blabiltty blah. It was sweet, but that wasn't my main problem with it. The problem
❀Julie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Perfect for the holiday season and getting into the spirit of Christmas. Very sweet story.
Foad
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
ویلیام سیدنی پورتر، آغازگر داستان های مثلاً اخلاقی زردی که این روزها روی اینترنت می بینیم.
Христо Блажев
Даровете на любовта: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/d...

“Даровете на влъхвите” на О. Хенри си е прекрасен, простодушен, малко ироничен, но стоплящ далеч не само по празници разказ. Но с илюстрациите на Соня Дановски и в твърдокоричното издание на “Лабиринт” е… съвършен. И не виждам причина да се пише и ред повече за него – просто трябва да видите книгата и да я притежавате. За да има повече такива книги у нас.

Издателство "Лабиринт"
Catching up on Cl...: December 2017 - The Gift of the Magi 36 81 Jan 01, 2018 11:11AM
Retro Reads: Dec. 2017 #4: "The Gift of the Magi" 26 22 Dec 18, 2017 08:20PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Gift of the Magi - *SPOILERS* 16 84 Dec 26, 2016 04:48PM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Gift of the Magi - pre-read 4 115 Dec 02, 2016 07:21AM
  • Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d
“Life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.” 767 likes
“The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.” 30 likes