Start by marking “Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)” as Want to Read:
Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)

Marked Man

(Victor Carl #6)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  501 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
It must have been a hell of a night. One of those long, dangerous nights where the world shifts and doors open. A night of bad judgment and wrong turns, of weariness and hilarity and a hard sexual charge that both frightens and compels. A night where your life changes irrevocably, for better or for worse, but who the hell cares, so long as it changes.

It must have been a ni
Published May 30th 2006 by William Morrow (first published May 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Marked Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked Man

Christy
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Philadelphia Attorney Victor Carl wakes up one morning in the vestibule of his apartment building, his suit disheveled, socks missing, and the name Chantal Adair inscribed on his chest. Victor can’t remember what happened the prior night and is on a quest to find out, along with who Chantal Adair is. But his efforts are waylaid by a stubborn Greek woman on her deathbed, demanding he bring her son Charlie Kalakos home in return for a favor Victor’s father owes her. Charlie is wanted by the Distri ...more
Hobart
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I picked this one up on the recommendation of a reader. Normally, I don't like to step into a series 6 books in, but every now and then I throw caution to the wind.

So Victor Carl is a criminal lawyer of some repute, but most of it not that positive, he has some serious relationship issues, a father in poor health, and an odd taste in clients. He's got an investigator (whose name escapes me, and I've already returned the book) who seems awfully good at his job, has a strange speech pattern, and d
Gary
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's not necessary to have read any of the other books in the series to have enjoyed this book. I haven't and did enjoy the story. Flawed characters make for the best protagonist, and the main character comes with many flaws. Beyond that there is nothing special about this somewhat flawed lawyer and partial detective who wakes up with a girls named tattooed on his back and tries to find out why it got their. There not being anything special about the story is probably why it's so entertaining.
Carolina Gonzalez
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a perfect way to finish my book challenge!! Loved that it kept guessing on each turn of a page. Until the puzzel was solved..
Abi
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ohh my God! So much twists and turns. All questions answered at the right time. Great plot, great development, and a really good ending.
I liked it very much! Thank you Carolina Gonzalez
Kees van Duyn
Victor Carl's ontmoeting met een vrouw in een bar in Philadelphia heeft grote gevolgen voor hem. Want de volgende dag wordt hij wakker met een tatoeage op zijn borst. Omdat Carl wil weten hoe die tatoeage er op is gekomen én wie de vrouw is wiens naam op zijn borst prijkt, gaat hij op onderzoek uit. Ondanks dat hij een aantal zaken heeft lopen waar hij druk mee is.

Eén van die zaken is de diefstal van een schilderij. Een diefstal die bijna dertig jaar geleden heeft plaatsgevonden. Want één van d
Dave Cohen
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another compelling Victor Carl read. Great start, where he wakes up to discover a name tattooed on his chest, with no recollection of who it is or why it's there. The reader doesn't find out till very late.

Around this mystery, Carl's picked up a client who is wanted by the FBI. This man just happens to be using a stolen Rembrandt to bargain with, while someone else doesn't want the man or the painting to survive.

I actually used a quote from Lashner's Victor Carl to open Part I of my own book:

“Pl
Seana
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read a bunch of Lashner several years ago now and really enjoyed his 'better than he wants to be' protagonist, Victor Carl. As is the way sometimes with series for me, though, I at some point stopped reading without ever having actually lost interest. So I was happy in a bit of a reading lull to pull this one off my shelves.

As usual, Victor is still hoping to be the bad boy who makes a killing without regard to scruples, but unfortunately for him, he still has some. That's what we know about h
Nick Brett
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Another in the author's Victor Carl series. Here we find lawyer Victor waking up after a rough night out with a tattoo on his chest with a girl's name on it, trouble is he has no idea who she is or how it got there.....

Victor is a bit of a mess, he wants to be a `player' but has not got a nasty enough streak to do it, so he lurches along wanting to make the jump to the big time, but some deep rooted morals keep him from the edge. In Marked Man, Victor is trying to re-unite a wanted man with his
Darcia Helle
When I purchased this book, I didn't realize it was part of an ongoing series. I might have better understood Victor and his relationship with his partner if I'd read previous books, though it didn't matter much with this story.

On the positive side, the plot holds an intriguing mystery. Victor is a fun character who approaches life with dark humor, and doesn't always uphold the law as he should.

On the negative side, for me, this book had too much dead space within the 499 pages. It could easily
Joyce Lagow
Sixth in the Victor Carl, Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer, series.

Not everyone has the ability to wake up in the morning after an admittedly drunken night out and find himself tattooed over his left breast with a heart and the name of a woman he’s never met. This might strain the credulity of some, but then they’ve never met Carl.
Still, the plot isn’t really thick enough to quite carry this off, and while the book is good, is is not as good as the five others in the series. True to form, L
Roxann
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first ‘Victor Carl’ book I have read. I did not know it was a series when I picked up this used book.
That being said, this wasn’t the best book I have ever read, but it wasn’t the worst. Victor is a lawyer trying to slowly move his way through each day. He somehow finds his way to solving a robbery, disappearance and murder. He seems a likable character, but some of the others in this book do not seem realistic.
The story begins with Victor waking up hung-over with a tattoo over his
Wanda
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite the roundabout mystery. Victor Carl is basically a soft hearted guy that gets talks into helping people out. Not a highly successful lawyer, he gets the job done but doesn't make a lot of money. Interesting how he started out with one project, getting a painting returned and a guy to see his dying mother and ends up solving another mystery, that of a missing girl. The two are connected and the cast of characters involved is entertaining, at times almost slapstick. Glad to finally learn how ...more
Beverly
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sixth in series. Victor wakes from a stuor to find a strange woman's name tattooed on his chest. His search for the woman intersects with a client from his father's past. The search leads from the Jersey shore to Hollywood and back, and entails the disapperance of a child. Beth Derringer leaves the practice, leaving Victor as a sole practitioner. He ends the novel with a conundrum: does he accept a large check shadily obtained?
Rick Benedict
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Writing

Slasher understands human nature. He understands his reader and he understands his characters . He puts together his understanding as a conductor puts together in orchestra . As one instrument or one character takes the foreground the others play in the background . Together they harmonize and entertain with great skill .
Lorin Cary
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a cleverly plotted and well-written novel that begins with a bang, an attorney who awakes disheveled and with a tattooed name across his chest. His quest takes him from art robbery to murder and mystery. A good read.
Pbwritr
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
An okay book. Got me distracted (during chemo). A heist long ago has neighborhood guys on the run--they were never caught--but the real secret is the girl that one of them killed. A lot of convoluted connections.
John Lyman
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from my man William Lashner. This guy is the best law/crime/thriller writer I know. Can't wait to read another, too bad there are only two more of his I haven't read yet. To be savored...
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this turning, twisting story. Lashner did a good job setting up the characters and bringing the loose ends together at the end. This is my second book by Lashner and I have enjoyed both.
Jennifer Jowsey
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great Victor Carl novel. I love him as a character, and once again he was torn between being who he thinks he is and trying to be who he wants to be. I thought this book overall was sad though, with all the talk of being stuck in a loser's life and people's inability to change.
Phil Hait
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting & enjoyable story about characters in Philadelphia with quite a sordid past. Enter Victor Carl an attorney with enough edge to investigate some of the more seamy details & it all started after meeting an attractive woman in a seedy bar.
Massimo Foglio
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un ottimo legal thriller, scritto in maniera coinvolgente usando la prima persona e con una tecnica narrativa che ti catapulta all'interno della storia quasi come ne fossi il protagonista.
Ben congegnata anche la trama, che non si lascia facilmente scoprire fino alla fine.
Adrian Phoenix
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery, thriller readers
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This is the first I've read in this series and I'm pleased to say that, although this is book 6, I didn't feel at all lost. I enjoyed the mystery, even if the characters haven't really grabbed me. I liked it enough, however, that I'm willing to go back and start with book 1.
Celia Barry
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a blast to read! It was a great ride, lots of witty repartee - a la Robert Parker, funny characters, flawed lawyer struggling to keep it together...LOVED IT! A mystery to read by the pool.
Mary
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This surprised me. It's goofy and over played but somehow I enjoyed reading it. I liked Victor despite or perhaps because of all his faults. And I liked how I didn't know where the story was going and how Victor changes over the course of his attempt to find a missing girl.
April
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book! Couldn't put it down, I finished in one day. Will be looking up more of the Victor Carl series.
Michelle Skeffington
Fast-paced lawyer, mystery...it gave me an escape from the "good" literature I'm trying to read!
Allen
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Lashner can usually be relied on to present a good read. this one is no exception.

Rebekkila
Dec 27, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Richard Miller
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
a good read, but I knew who the hired killer was early in the book.
  • The Gulf Conspiracy (Dr Steven Dunbar, #4)
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Close Case (Samantha Kincaid #3)
  • The Piper's Sons
  • Good News, Bad News
  • The Prosecution
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Restitution
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Critical Mass
  • Fun House (John Ceepak Mystery, #7)
  • The Master Falconer (Joe Pickett, #11.5)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • The Frumious Bandersnatch (87th Precinct, #53)
  • A Kiss Gone Bad (Whit Mosley, #1)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Paradise County
William Lashner, a former Philadelphia lawyer, is a graduate of New York University Law School and the University of Iowa Writers' Workshop. He has served as trial attorney in the Criminal Division of the United States Justice Department. He lives with his family outside of Philadelphia.

Under the pseudonym Tyler Knox he wrote the noir novel, Kockroach.

Series:
* Victor Carl Mystery

Victor Carl (9 books)
  • Hostile Witness (Victor Carl, #1)
  • Veritas (Victor Carl, #2)
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • Past Due (Victor Carl, #4)
  • Falls the Shadow (Victor Carl, #5)
  • A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)
  • A Bite of Strawberry (Victor Carl, #7.5)
  • Bagmen
“There I sat, in the wreckage of my apartment, in the wreckage of my life – no love, no prospects, a gnawing sense of existential futility along with the certainty that a better life was being lived by everyone else” 3 likes
“We were, all of us, prisoners of our character, unable to alter our true inner natures. When we said we had changed, what had only really changed was our luck. Put us in the same circumstances as our previous folly and suddenly we’d revert, all of us, to what we were. That’s what I believed” 3 likes