Start by marking “The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology

The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology

This unique collection spans over 400 years (1488–1902) of haiku history by the greatest masters: Bashō, Issa, Shiki, and many more, in translations by top-flight scholars in the field. Editor Faubion Bowers provides a foreword and many informative notes to the poems.
Published September 24th 1996 by Dover Publications (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Classic Tradition of Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Classic Tradition of Haiku

Florencia
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haiku should be just
small stones dropping down a well
with a small splash

- James Kirkup (8)

Haiku or the complexity of subtlety
As a big fan of etymology, I was captivated by this book's introduction. It is a clear and detailed recount of the history of haiku. The present enthralling subject we are tediously discussing here—I suggest a considerable amount of coffee in your system or ignoring these couple of paragraphs—has its origin in 12th-century renga, a form of collaborative poetry. Poets, in g
Cristian  Morales
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Mis favoritos:

(te o tsuite/uts moshiagaru/kawazu kana)
"Hands to the floor
offering up a song
the frog..."
-Sokan

(yado no haru/nani mo naki koso/ nani mo are)
"In my hut this spring
there is nothing
there is everything"
-Danjuro

(furuike ya/ kawazu tobikomu / mizu no oto)
"Old pond
frogs jumped in
sound of water"
-Basho

(natsukusa ya / tsuwamonodomo ga / yume no ato)
Summer grasses
where stalwart soldiers
once dreamed dreams
-Basho

(kojiki kana / tenchi no kitaru / natsu goromo)
"There a beggar goes!
Heaven and eart
Kay
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This slim and inexpensive Dover edition is a great introduction to the haiku masters as well as lesser-known poets. One thing that I particular liked is that editor Bowers presents multiple translations of the same pieces, so that you get a sense of just how difficult it is to translate haiku. The notes on the poems help, too, in grasping what the poetic images meant to contemporary Japanese. Proceeding chronologically, you can see how haiku develops, and you can also see how Western translation ...more
Gary
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have seen thirty-six translations of one haiku.
Bernie Gourley
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the second haiku anthology that I've reviewed on my site. While they're both thin volumes of traditional haiku, each has it's distinct flavor. The previous volume was organized by season. This one is organized by author. The two books share several authors (e.g. the greats Bashō, Issa, and Buson), but diverge on many of the lesser known poets.

One nice feature of this book is that it offers multiple translations of many of the haiku. Poetry is notoriously tricky to translate as literal t
Melissa Chalhoub
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, poetry
I'm in love with this edition. I normally don't like reading translated poems, as most of it is lost in translation, but this one was perfect for me. It starts up with an introduction to Haiku, from its origin to its evolution. Then you read in chronological order the most notable Haiku, since the 15th century till the 20th. Every poet is introduced, all poems are written in Japanese (so you can at least see the musicality of each one, even if you don't understand the language) then translated i ...more
Vivek
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fallen blossom
returning to the bough, I thought -
But no, a butterfly.
- Arakida Moritake (1472 - 1549)
My favourite Haiku from "The Classic Tradition of Haiku - An Anthology". This thin book covers the period from Sogi in the 15th Century to Shiki in the 19th Century. Multiple translations of the haiku, short biographies of the poets and explanations of the context make these "little drops of poetic essence" approachable.
This review also comes with my own Strand story. I bought this book at t
Mark
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mark by: Sara Q
This is a slim, yet excellent, volume. It has footnotes to many of the 48 authors and their poems which greatly helps a Westerner understand the significance/meaning of the haikus. It includes a short forward by the editor which provides context/knowledge and many of the poems are presented in multiple translations by several of the 43 translators.
Haritha
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I actually wrote a nice long review for this book, including some of my favorite Haiku from this book, but stupid Goodreads didn't save it. I'm so disheartened! I don't have the heart to type it all again right now. Maybe I will write it again later. Suffices to say that I enjoyed the book.
Andrew
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Having read Cor van den Heuvel's excellent anthology of English-language haiku, I was interested to delve a bit deeper into the history and tradition.

This little, incredible value-for-money (US$3), edition provided some of that. It's a survey of the greats of Japanese haiku, beginning in the 15th century through to the 19th.

Like all poetry that appears in a language different from the one in which it was written, the subtext of this collection is about the art of translation, and about translato
Rick  Jackofsky
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interesting thing about translating Japanese haiku to English is how much can be lost, (or gained?) in the translation depending on not only who is doing the translating but also their contemporary poetic aesthetics. Translations made in the early twentieth century are wordier and more likely to stick to the 5-7-5 format than those made by poets influenced by modern freestyle English haiku. That being said, a big plus for this book is that along with phonetic versions of the Japanese there a ...more
Soumitro Roy
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 5 : The Classical Tradition Of Haiku, An Anthology, Edited by Faubion Bowers ( 78pg, 2 weeks, Ratings: 5/5)
‘Hai’ in haiku means ‘unusual’ and ‘ku’ means ‘strophes’ ‘lines’ or ‘verse’
Sometime a ‘haiku’ can be boring/incomprehensible/thick as they are just a snapshot of a deeper understanding. A ‘haiku’ reveals itself more when we know the ‘WHY-WHERE-WHEN’ of a ‘haiku’ . And it is at this point where this anthology is successful. The footnotes adds an extra value to the book. This book is tru
Nawfal
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't know Japanese. So, I cannot speak to the translation/transliteration/linguistics of the contents. However, I know that I enjoyed the collection of poems in this anthology - they seemed to be representative of a variety of eras/writers - traditional ones, though. Nothing in the modern era - which I appreciated.

The best part of the text are the copious, well-written and interesting notes that go along with the poems. These provide helpful and entertaining context, which otherwise most rea
Angie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
after they've fallen
their images remain in the mind --
these peonies
-Buson

tell them
I was a persimmon eater
who liked haiku
-Shiki

---
I found the foreword helpful in my quest to learn more about the structure of haiku. Renga is also discussed briefly; as well as the nature of the Japanese language as it effects the poetry: so, some good stuff there. I read it last though. (As a habit I never read forewords, prologues, or introductions first -- been burned too many times.)
Anuradha

"The autumn wind
resounds in the mountain -
temple bell"
-Chiyo

Distilled form of japanese poetry.This book is a great introduction to the haiku masters..
This unique collection spans over 400 years(1488-1902) ..Basho,Issa,Shiki and many more..
Faubbion Bowers also provides many wonderful notes to the poems along with a informative forward ...

Loved this ...
Ed Ashford
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really comprehensive collection of haiku! There are usually multiple translations for the various haiku, plus they're included in the original Romaji for anyone who may know a thing or two about Japanese. It was really fascinating to see the slight differences in translation from one version to the next. I don't speak great Japanese yet, but I feel like this helped me understand the original intent behind the haiku a little better without having to become completely fluent.
Carolyn Page
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short poems, and it's a short little book. It's excellent though, a really great job translating from Japanese. It's an introduction to a good art form that has the benefit of being accessible for those without an ear for rhyming.
ger
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haiku translated into English automatically loses its integrity but leaves us with an appreciation of the ideas expressed. This collection has some superb examples and good explanatory notes. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to dip their toes into the Haiku waters.
Dorothy Mahoney
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What was intriguing about this anthology was the Japanese original before each haiku. The footnotes are informative and in the forward, Bowers maintains that " the most evocative part of haiku is 'when'." A thin volume easy to carry around, giving time to ponder.
dreamer of art
These kinds of poems are the poetry I respond to the most: simplicity with hidden meanings that has a beautiful effect on the reader.
"setsugekka / ichido ni miyuru / utsugi kana
It lets one see
Snow, moon, and blossoms —all at once,
oh, utsugi! "
Leslie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were some really good haikus in there
Patricia
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-writers, poetry
Interesting selection of classic Japanese haiku...some of which are not what I would have expected.
Will Johnson
Review Pending
Sylvester
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, ebook, poetry
I especially liked the notes for each haiku, it made such a difference. There were subtleties and back stories I had no idea about.
Scott Durham Miao He
Fantastic - a great beginners anthology to some classic haiku styles - from serious to funny !
Noel Shafi
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this slim-fit and fully loaded anthology of haiku published by Dover Thrift, editor Faubion Bowers presents Japanese short poems written by the masters: from Basho to Uko-ni. This anthology offers Japanese transliterations of selected haiku, accompanied by various English translations, and annotations from the editor. The translations are from a wide-range of distinguished writers, including the American poet, Allen Ginsberg, the noteworthy haiku scholar and poet, William J. Higginson, former ...more
Arthur Cravan
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Haiku-initiates
Shelves: japanese, poetry
As a thin tome acting as an introduction (actual introduction, of course, included), I found this great. I have a few books of Japanese poetry I turn to from time to time, but I suppose due to the ease & length of this one, this is the first I've read cover-to-cover.

I would recommend it to just about anyone with any interest who are yet to dip their toes. I must say, I feel like some of the translations seem weak to me... not that I can read any of the originals, but I feel like I can tell..
Nissa Annakindt
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, haiku
This slim and inexpensive volume gives you a taste of the work of classic Japanese haiku writers from Iio Sogi (1421-1502) to Masaoka Shiki (1867-1902).

What makes this haiku book different is that the original Japanese versions, transliterated into our alphabet, is given. It gives you an idea what the original sounded like.

Also, for many poems there are more than one translation given, so that you may compare.

There are footnotes to explain matters in the poems that may be obscure to the Western
Phillip Goodman
I'm a big fan of dover thrift editions, and of Haiku's or that matter. though this edition can not be said to be as beautiful as some more expensive haiku collections, and does not benefit from the illustrations that often make these incredible terse poems feel more complete, it is none the less very good, the works, including many lesser known poets are very well chosen, the footnotes are nicely informative, and the multiple translations are an excellent touch, they illustrate the difficulty in ...more
Burak
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haiku
Brilliant collection of Haiku that stands out in its coverage of the pre-Basho era (the Haiku, or Hokku, were the opening verses of the Renga poem before Basho turned it into an independent art). Even though the book is small, it covers 247 Haiku from 48 Renga masters and Haijin, and with extensive footnotes that give great insight into the tradition. With all that, I think this book makes a great companion to the reading of "The Haiku Handbook" by Higginson, or any other general introduction to ...more
  • Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku
  • One Robe, One Bowl: The Zen Poetry of Ryōkan
  • Cat Town
  • 100 Poems from the Japanese
  • Modern Japanese Literature: From 1868 to the Present Day
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • The Portable Blake
  • Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death
  • Cold Mountain: One Hundred Poems by the t'Ang Poet Han-Shan
“mihotoke ni / shini mukeoreba / tsuki suzushi4 I’ve turned my back On Buddha How cool the moon!” 1 likes
“hito iyashiku / ran no atai o / ronji keri Men are disgusting. They argue over The price of orchids.” 1 likes