Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

Selected poems of Yevtushenko
Hardcover
Published 1962 by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Steven Godin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important collection of poems, if a little on the slim side, from one of the greats to emerge from the Soviet Union (whom I didn't realise had died only last year). Two poems in particular are highly political, the long memoir, 'Zima Station' which connects his daily life and trip back home to sub-zero Siberia, and 'Babiy Yar' which deals with Russian anti-Semitism and the 1941 massacres in Kiev, which resulted in a nobel prize nomination.

Yevtushenko was much respected by others at the time b
Steven Peterson
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yevgeny Yevtushenko is one of my favorite Russian poets. Years ago, while I was in graduate school at the State University of New York at Buffalo, I bought this copy. I still enjoy repairing to this collection every so often.

There is a nice, albeit brief, introduction to his work, written by Robin Milner-Gulland and Peter Levi. It does provide useful context for the poetry to follow. But it is the poetry that is the heart of this slim work. A few lines to illustrate his art. . . .

"Zima Junctio
Muhammad Arqum
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yevgeny Yevtushenko has become one of my favorite poets! And Zima Junction has placed itself in my all time beloved poems. There is something so profound yet simple about his poetry that even after getting lost in translation, the percolating melancholy, and the rising nostalgia leaves you sighing and smiling. When Yevtushenko writes about snow, you rub your hands. When he tells you he misses something, you miss it with him. When he writes about rain, you get drenched. Gorgeous imagery, beautifu ...more
Eadweard
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian, poetry
Beautiful poems.

"THOSE weddings in wartime 1 The deceiving comfort !
The dishonesty of words about living.
Sonorous snowy roads.
In the wind’s wicked teeth I hurry down them
to a hasty wedding at the next village.
With worn-out tread and hair down in my eyes
I go inside, I famous for my dancing,
into the noisy house.
In there tensed up with nerves and with emotion
among a crowd of friends and family,
called up, distraught, the bridegroom
sitting beside his Vera, his bride.
Will in a few days put his greatco
Jerry Oliver
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is an amazing book of poetry. These poems are from a time and place and yet they are timeless and reach far and wide because they map a familiar terrain of the soul. These lines were composed in the repressive communist Russia I grew up hearing about yet they are the visions and observations of a young man whose spirit couldn't be contained by borders or authority.
Dewey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yevgeny Yevtushenko was perhaps the greatest poet from the Soviet Union post-Silver Age along with Joseph Brodsky (or after, depending on who you ask). His recent passing and a chance reading of a really moving poem online led me to keep an eye out for any volumes I could find. This reprinting of a Penguin edition of his first English poems in the 60's was the first I found and is thus the first volume I acquired.

Like the early Mayakovsky book that City Lights published some time ago, this volu
Anika
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cracking green walnuts, each of us
searching with our eyes for the sea.
And I whitened my lips with pressing them,
drew my ribs tight and wept invisibly.
The coast came forward and the sea with it."
Peter
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read early 1970s...
Lucy
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Talk

You're a brave man they tell me.
I'm not.
Courage has never been my quality.
Only I thought it disproportionate
so to degrade myself as others did.
No foundations trembled. My voice
no more than laughed at pompous falsity;
I did no more than write, never denounced,
I left out nothing I had thought about,
defended who deserved it, put a brand
on the untalented, the ersatz writers
(doing what had anyhow to be done).
And now they press to tell me that I'm brave.
How sharply our children will b
Christina
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book difficult to rate: 5 stars for the poet, 3 stars for the translators. (Extra credit given for translators' notes, which were somewhat helpful.) Once again, it was tremendously frustrating not to be able to read the work in its original Russian. More than once I suspected an idiom may have been translated literally. Nevertheless, it was wonderful to visit with Yevtushenko again 35 yrs after first discovering his work. This slim volume begins with his magnum opus, "Zima Junction," and ...more
Mick Canning
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
A collection of poems centred around a long poem, 'Zima Junction' which lyrically describes a visit that the poet makes as an adult to his family home in the small Siberian town of the same name. All of the poems are beautiful, but Zima Junction is the standout one, and for which alone the purchase of the book is more than justified. Descriptions of eccentric family, strawberry picking, meals and drinking, cart rides in rainstorms...by the end of the poem you feel that you know and understand th ...more
Nune Harutyunyan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Either I don't read poems too much, or it was a very bad translation. I was guessing the meanings and metaphors that were used and I was lost throughout the whole thing. However, I'm not the professional to judge. If you like poetry in general, give it a shot but don't expect much from the book, it's not gonna move you and your feelings. (or it may, depends on your personal opinions about specific values)

My personal favorite poem is "The Wedding"
Lysergius
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Despite the difficulties and inadequacies of the translation, something of the flavour of Yevgeny Yevtushenko's poetry has been captured and made available for the English reader. Well worth the effort.
Sasha Strader
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
As with almost any book of poetry (at least the ones I've read), there are some stunningly good poems, and there are some that just drag. Overall, I felt this book had more of the latter than the former, but it just wasn't my preferred style.
Tangleofwires
[28/10/09-23/11/09:]
Saoirse
It was nice. I wasn't really particularly impressed, though I do realise the futility of reading translated poetry. If I ever learn Russian, maybe I'll return to this.
Mimi
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2014
This selection may be short, but it shows Yevgeny Yevtushenko's range as a poet. While I've already read more than half of these poems elsewhere, they're more powerful here, when placed side by side.
Jeff Laughlin
Dude can flow. He nice.
Leni Rayburn
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my old paperback favorites. He was my favorite poet for years & years, and I re-read this little book till it's in tatters. Babiy Yar leaves me speechless. Read it and read it again.
Meter
Overall satisfying, though who know's about the translation. I think he might be better read as the collections he intended rather than this put together. Junction at Zima is a bit of a trial.
Anna F.
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"(...)

I am conscious that these minutes are short
and that the colours in my eyes will vanish
when your face sets."
Wuhan
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best damn poetry I've ever read.
Patrick\
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
How did this once giant slip into such obscurity? A cigarette smoking showman, but a fine poet who walked the equally fine line of the Soviet and lived.
J Jesse
Sirena
Jan 12, 2017
  • Planet News
  • Selected Poems
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • White Flock
  • Inside the Wave
  • The Back Country
  • The Apple that Astonished Paris
Евгений Евтушенко
Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Yevtushenko (Russian: Евгений Александрович Евтушенко; born 18 July 1933 in Zima Junction, Siberia) is a Soviet and Russian poet. He is also a novelist, essayist, dramatist, screenwriter, actor, editor, and a director of several films.
“All values in this world are more or less questionable, but the most important thing in life is human kindness.” 6 likes