Start by marking “Diverse Energies” as Want to Read:
Diverse Energies

Diverse Energies

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
“No one can doubt that the wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men. No one can doubt that cooperation in the pursuit of knowledge must lead to freedom of the mind and freedom of the soul.”
—President John F. Kennedy, from a speech at University of California, March
Published November 20th 2012 by Tu Books (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Diverse Energies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diverse Energies

Catie
3 1/2 stars

I like the idea of this anthology way more that I liked the anthology itself. This world is by no means populated by a white majority, so I think it’s ridiculous that so much of young adult literature is. One of the main things that can make me interested in reading a YA fantasy these days is a non-western setting - perhaps because I’ve read so much western-centric YA. I was really looking forward to reading this anthology, but after finishing it I found it to be mostly forgettable. H
Rachel Brown
An anthology of dystopian YA short stories with a focus on diversity, ie, most of the protagonists are not white.

As a whole, this anthology is not much like most current YA dystopian novels, which are generally about naïve privileged white girls slowly coming to realize that their “the government controls everything” society actually sucks, while navigating a love triangle. The characters in this anthology are often aware from the get-go that everything sucks, and the central problem is generall
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
This is a great idea for a YA anthology: A collection of dystopian stories featuring a culturally diverse range of characters reflecting the real world in which we live. I'm not usually a fan of short stories, since I tend to think that most of the good ones would be better explored in a full-length format, but this collection is of higher quality than most. There's a good sense of momentum to the book, and some really unique and exciting ideas behind each story, so for once I didn't get that dr ...more
charlotte
To act as though we have hope is to keep hope alive.

The problem I have with rating anthologies by various authors is that I never know how to rate the thing overall. Like, do I average the ratings? Do I give it an overall rating based on my enjoyment of it as a whole? Who knows.

In the end, I guess the three star rating is a bit of both. It's not the greatest anthology I've ever read unfortunately (although I don't think I've read any where I've loved all the stories - at least for this one the
StarMan
Passing grade for a YA SF collection. It's hard to assign a discrete rating, but this was a better book than I expected.

At least 3 memorable stories, and no complete stinkers. The last story is by Ursula K. Le Guin.
Ying
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun sci-fi/urban fantasy/fiction anthology that had a heavy focus on POC and LGBT characters.

Overall I really liked the anthology, and I would recommend this book to others who are looking to foray into diverse fiction.

“The Last Day” by Ellen Oh
A dark story set in a world where there is an endless war of East vs West, which despite my terrible one sentence description was actually quite good. An interesting idea that I hadn't really read before.

“Freshee’s Frogurt” by Daniel H. Wilso
Jaymee Goh
This was a difficult anthology to get through. The premise is amazing: stories representing the diversity of youth, different races, different sexualities, as they navigate their worlds borne out of speculative imagination.

If only those speculative imaginations weren't so tied to such dystopic worlds! The tagline on the cover states, "The future is here. Are you ready?" The future is here and it is apparently grim as fuck. Terrible things keep happening. Terrible worlds roll and take their terr
Crystal
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this collection

The short stories are varied in subject matter, length, and style. A thought provoking read and well worth while. I would definitely recommend.
TJ
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
A dark collection of dystopian short stories, with diverse settings & characters - one I loved!
The Last Day, Ellen Oh. What a way to start off this collection of short stories. This dystopian society is damn dreary and depressing ... kind of the tone of the entire collection. It's an alternate history of WWII set in Japan. The World has been divided into 2 super-powers - The President of the West and The Emperor of the East - and they are at war. Nobody is winning, and The Emperor has resor
Tintaglia
Non amo in genere le raccolte di racconti, e anche meno le antologie di autori vari , ma il tema alla base di Diverse energies mi intrigava: in una letteratura YA dominata dai protagonisti di razza bianca (recentissima la polemica su Goodreads per i protagonisti di altre razze “sbiancati” o modificati nelle copertine…) questa raccolta vuole raccogliere racconti che diversifichino, presentando distopie con protagonista, in realtà, la diversità razziale che è realtà non tanto in Europa, quanto neg ...more
Bookworm1858
I was grabbed by the mention of three of these authors who have either written books I enjoyed or have written books I hope to read soon (those three being Ellen Oh, Malinda Lo, and Cindy Pon). Its stated intention is to provide more diversity in our YA fiction, whether race, gender, culture, sexual-orientation, etc. These stories mix dystopia, science-fiction, and fantasy. Like many short story collections, it's a definite mixed bag with some stories working well for me and some not clicking wi ...more
Kristen
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, sci-fi, dystopia, glbtq
This collection of short stories portrays many different (but pretty much all dark & depressing) visions of the future. They all have non-white and/or LGBTQ protagonists, filling a gap in the genre. Themes of income inequality and environmental destruction figure prominently in the stories. I'd recommend this to people who liked the Legend series by Marie Lu who are also in the mood for short stories.
Shoshana G
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I'm all about encouraging diversity in fiction and YA fiction and speculative fiction, but the only story in this book I found particularly interesting or memorable was the Le Guin one, which I had read before anyway. Having multicultural characters isn't enough to make a story - and to me, most of the stories in this book were just vehicles to trot out the characters, not actual STORIES. This may not make much sense, but suffice it to say most of the stories in this book were dull.
Linda
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating glimpse of futuristic heroes, villains in the future; gripping, insightful, grim yet hopeful. I'm in awe of the skillful, talented writers, including Ursula K. Le Guin, who contributed to this science fiction YA collection. Librarians and teachers will appreciate the unique viewpoints and find this a Must-Have for their teen readers.
Kiesha
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read an advanced reader's copy of this book that I picked up at the ALA conference in Anaheim earlier this year and I can't wait to get my hands on more works by some of the authors included in this collection. I particularly enjoyed Malinda Lo's 'Good Girl' and Cindy Pon's 'Blue Skies.' I love works by authors that celebrate sexual and multiethnic diversity.
Colin
This was really good; one of those rare collections where I enjoyed every story. Published as a specific intervention into the whitewashing/racism of YA sf/fantasy, with a portion of the proceeds going to The Carl Brandon Society's Octavia Butler Memorial Scholarship, which funds emerging POC sf/fantasy writers' attendance at the famed Clarion writing workshops. WIN.
Becky
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great mix of dystopic/sci-fi stories. I especially loved Malinda Lo's story "The Good Girl."
Kelly
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Strong Collection of Diverse Dystopian Stories

No one can doubt that the wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed, but the liberation of the diverse energies of free nations and free men. No one can doubt that cooperation in the pursuit of knowledge must lead to the freedom of the mind and freedom of the soul.

- President John F. Kennedy, from a speech at University of California, March 23, 1962

Maybe your claim is that Dungeons & Dragons is based on a fa
Katja Weinert
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

—President John F. Kennedy, from a speech at University of California, March 23, 1962

In a world gone wrong, heroes and villains are not always easy to distinguish and every individual has the ability to
Jessica Strider
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pros: wide variety of dystopian worlds, protagonists of diverse races and sexual orientations

Cons: in several of the stories the characters are in lower class/servile roles to white people,

For Parents: no language, minimal violence, one story hints at sex but there are no descriptions, three of the stories have positive GLTBQ content

This is a great collection of stories. Not only do they feature people of colour in lead roles, there are also several positive portrayals of gay/lesbian teens in
Natasha C
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is some great variety here. Some stories are part of longer books, so do not expect that each one has a complete story arc, but you get a sense of different dystopian ways our society can go.

My favorites:

"Next Door" Upper-class people have so much technological immersion that they do not even mind or notice that those who are poorer live in their garages and other unused spaces. Very interesting concept.

"Pattern Recognition" A colony of children taken from resource-poor countries work for
Nicole
I picked this up on a spur not knowing how diverse this anthology would be. I was surprised that it featured young adults of different ethnicities. It felt very refreshing. I think the reason why I was interested was because the anthology centred on Dystopia. I loved the preface and the afterword. Honestly I have never heard of any of these authors before but am interested to be introduced to them.

The Last Day by Ellen Oh
4/5 stars

As this is the first story I do not really have a benchmark to com
Cindy Pham
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a great initiative to redefine dystopian YA stories in a different lens with characters of color as the primary focus. Some stories in this anthology were more impactful than others; unfortunately, many of them were a miss for me, but that could just be my own personal preference for longer stories. I think it'd be great to expand this into a series with a wider collection that has more balance in tone & concepts, as I'm sure an idea like this will eventually find the right footing.
April
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Diverse Energies edited by Tobias S. Buckell and Joe Monti is a superb anthology. This book provides a good sample of various authors which is perfect if you're looking to read more #ownvoices and are not quite sure where to begin. Read my full review here
Dev Singer
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book. I really did. But the only stories that drew me in were Malinda Lo’s and Ursula Le Guin’s. Those stories I would read again. The others? Let’s just say there were many times when I almost gave up on finishing it.
Shomeret
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I only read three stories. The one I liked best was "Uncertainty Principle" by K. Tempest Bradford. I found the girl protagonist inspiring.
Starr
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this title, free, in exchange for my honest review.
I reached out to Tu Books, because I had heard about what they were doing about diversity in YA literature, and I wanted to do my part. I received an enthusiastic response and links to two of their titles. I enthusiastically downloaded both titles and then- I hesitated. Sure I had read (and really liked) Wolf Mark. (Oh no! I just realized I never posted my review...) That was a title I had received not knowing who the publis
Fangs for the Fantasy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book of several YA dystopian short stories that aims for diversity. Much of YA, of speculative fiction and definitely dystopia is extremely white washed and made up entirely of straight people. GBLT people are, largely, dead and POC and women frequently take a back seat to the noble straight, male lead. It’s refreshing to see an anthology of short stories that focus on minorities.

I’m going to sound all kinds of fluffy but I have to say I would have appreciated a happy ending or two. I
Bibliotropic
Many truly depressing futures are showcased in Diverse Energies. From violent wars to exploitation to impossible-to-bridge gaps between the rich and poor...Wait, doesn't this sound familiar? Doesn't this sound precisely like what's in the news today?

That's what makes these futures so believable, I think. Every single story in this compilation deals with a future that's all too easy to see happening. This isn't science fiction taking place on other planets, with people and situations that are too
Deb
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley. It's a science fiction anthology that includes stories from Paolo Bacigalupi and Ursula LeGuin. While I don't read a lot of anthologies, I like the idea of finding new authors to read. The theme of this anthology is diversity. Its editor, Tobias S. Buckell, who is Caribbean and British, explains that he wants science fiction to represent many races and cultures, not just one.

This anthology introduced me to new ideas and authors, and scary visio
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • The Chaos
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers
  • Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
  • Revolutionary Voices: A Multicultural Queer Youth Anthology
  • Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire
  • Alien Contact
  • Summer of the Mariposas
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
  • Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon, #1)
  • Drift
Born in the Caribbean, Tobias S. Buckell is a New York Times Bestselling author. His novels and over 50 short stories have been translated into 17 languages and he has been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, Prometheus and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Science Fiction Author. He currently lives in Ohio.
“To act as though we have hope is to keep hope alive” 2 likes