Start by marking “The Shimmer” as Want to Read:
The Shimmer

The Shimmer

Creator of Rambo and co-founder of the Inter-national Thriller Writers organization, David Morrell has been called the father of the modern action novel. Now this award-winning, New York Times bestselling author delivers The Shimmer, a novel of chilling impact. When police officer Dan Page s wife disappears, her trail leads to Rostov, a remote Texas town where unexplained ...more
Audio CD
Published July 1st 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shimmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shimmer

Start your review of The Shimmer
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, what can I say. Take a Miracle sight like Lourdes or one like it, combine it with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, mix in a little PC cr*p and you've got the book. Personally I can't believe this is the same writer who gave us First Blood, The Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraternity of the Stone and others. At times I found this book silly and even annoying.

And as a rule I like Morrell.

The opening scenes of the novel were, I thought rather promising and I was getting interested, then it jus
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the unexplained (i.e. the Bermuda Triangle) would probably like this book. It's based on the mysterious Marfa Lights phenomenon. Interesting and quick-reading, the plot does lag a little in the middle. However, the pace really picks up in the exciting last third of the book. A bit weird, but alot of fun.
Martin Hill
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take a mysterious natural phenomenon like the Marfa Lights, a famous movie classic like "Giant," toss in a sinister military weapons project, mix well with a heart-wrenching love story, and what do you get? David Morrell's "The Shimmer," a fast-paced, page-turning sci-fi thriller.

"Shimmer" takes place in Rostov, Texas, Morrell's fictional stand-in for Marfa, Texas, where strange lights can sometimes be seen dancing in the darkness across the rough lands near the Mexican border. The book's hero,
itchy
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
titular sentence:
p88: Their chaos of orange, blue, and white contrasted starkly with the shimmering colors Page had thought he'd seen earlier.

typo:
p51: Each time Raleigh tested himself in the shooting house, Lockhart reconfigured the partitions, arranging the layout in a new and unprdictable design.

p88: Page turned from the plaque and saw a silhoette of a man in a cowboy hat.

This is Morrell's version of a feel-good book.
Amanda Lyons
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Shimmer is the first book I've read by David Morrell an author my fiance has long recommended and read himself for several years. Having read this book I can see why.

The Shimmer is an interesting tale about a strange phenomenon in the west Texas dessert and how it comes to affect one couple, a military man, a journalist and the town where it generates. The central story revolves the couple but we also get a quite a look into the other aspects of the story as it goes along. Based on a real p
Indy Quillen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Other reviewers have mentioned this is not the author's best work, but I found the writing engaging and the story intriguing. But I'll admit this is the first Morrell book I've read, so I can't compare it to others. It gets five stars from me because the writing was spot on and I loved the fact it was difficult, if not impossible, to separate fact from fiction - it was so well woven together. I love the fact the author has seen the lights and was inspired to create a fiction story using them.
Kay Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shimmer (Vanguard Press, ISBN 9781593155377, Hardcover, 352pp) is an engrossing and suspense packed thriller from the pen of Rambo creator, David Morrell. Set in and around the fictional Rostov, Texas, The Shimmer’s about mysterious lights in the sky near the small town. Are they so much more than they appear to be or just some geological anomaly as some think? An out of town policeman’s search to discover their source unveils centuries old sightings, hidden government projects and that his ...more
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this is probably a three and a half star read overall, I'm rounding up rather than down because the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. David Morrell is an author who has produced winner after winner, building most of his career off military thrillers and spy fiction (First Blood, The Brotherhood of the Rose, The Fifth Profession, etc). In the first decade of the 2000s, he has included more elements of horror in his books. This actually reads like a '90s Dean Koontz book. The town in the b ...more
Alexia561
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, review-copy
My first David Morrell book was Brotherhood of the Rose, which was also my first time liking movie so much that I wanted to read the book. David is a very talented writer, and you can tell that he does his research and really knows what he's talking about! For instance, one of the main characters in this book is a pilot. David learned how to fly planes and is now a pilot as well.

The Shimmer introduces us to policeman Dan Page right in the middle of an unusual car chase. Dan had the day off and
James Piper
A cop goes searching for his missing wife and finds she's become entranced by these mysterious lights near a small town in southern Texas. Some people see the lights and are drawn to them like an addict to his fix. Most simply don't see them and feel they are being tricked. Natural explanations are offered but nothing is definitive. It’s a mystery.

The novel centres around the mystery of these lights--past encounters and present. I was caught up in understanding what caused them. As a skeptic I w
Conan Tigard
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first chapter of The Shimmer by David Morrell, I was hooked. Even with working every day for eight hours, I was able to polish the book off in a little over two days. I became engrossed in the story and just couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next.

What I enjoyed about the story was the flow. It was perfect. The book quickly built in intensity and then maintained a sense of tension which made it hard for me to want to put it down, so I didn't. I had to know what the ligh
Amy
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an engrossing mystery/thriller. Morrell is a master of weaving several stories together around one event/object--in this case, "the shimmer," which is actually mysterious lights in West Texas. Are they supernatural? Physical phenomenon? Psychological? Government experiments? Nobody really knows for sure but the lights attract a lot of people and they've been appearing for more than 100 years. As officer Page's wife, Tori, becomes drawn to them, Page is forced to investigate the lights i ...more
Connie
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Morrell continues his run as a dependably engaging story teller. The mystic feel of this book reminded me of Morrell's earlier memoir FIREFLIES. It kept me reading every free moment for three days until I finished it. Nice escapist summer reading with the interesting tidbits of research that the author always seems to throw in. Truly a good read.

Michelle
Highly unsatisfying. There was no closure, no explanation and it really could have used some. Parts of the story were decent and I kept reading because I wanted answers, unfortunately there were none. The most interesting part of this book was the extra content at the end in which the author explained how he came up with the idea for this book. Oh well.
Nancy
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-morrell
Novel was a quick and enjoyable read.
Janice Roberts
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Planning on seeing the Marfa lights in East Texas. on the bucket list.
Dav
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Shimmer • by David Morrell

PLOT:
"When a high-speed chase goes terribly wrong, Santa Fe police officer Dan Page watches in horror as a car and gas tanker explode into flames. Torn with guilt that he may be responsible, Page returns home to discover that his wife, Tori, has disappeared.

Frantic, Page follows her trail to Rostov, a remote town in Texas famous for a massive astronomical observatory, a long-abandoned military base, and unexplained nighttime phenomena that draw onlookers from every
Zach Franz
From a prose standpoint, this was a puzzler. "The Brotherhood of the Rose" is one of the best thrillers I've ever read, and "The Fraternity of Stone," while not as compelling, still bears the mark of a superior genre stylist. But "The Shimmer" represents a long drop from these heights. It's filled with telling instead of showing; the writing is simplistic and below-average, even by thriller standards.

What kept me reading was the mystery Morrell fashioned around the lights themselves. The setting
Jay Rothermel
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a fifty year career as a novelist, David Morrell has never hesitated to introduce uncanny and fantastic elements in his fiction. I think particularly of the cave sequence in First Blood, but the novels Testament, The Totem, The Fraternity of the Stone, The Covenant and the Flame, Long Lost, Creepers, and Scavengers (of the novels I have read) all contain such moments folded into their broader thriller plots.

The Shimmer is Morrell's first (and to-date only) science fiction novel. Its thriller
Rubberboots
Prior to The Shimmer, I had read Morrell's Brotherhood of the Rose and Fraternity of the Stone which I both really liked. Keen to read another Morrell book, The Shimmer didn't live up to the Brotherhood / Fraternity. Not even close. I felt the writting itself was not up the earlier book's standard, even the dialogue portions had no substance. Regardless, after a slow start, the book picked up momentum for an overall fun read. That's how I caracterize this one - simply a fun book. Don't expect to ...more
Adam Michael Seligman
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This book was one that I did not like right away. When u did find myself liking it though, I couldn't put it down. As I read more, I remembered seeing something like this as a young child, on TV. I was so right. David Morrell is an author I will certainly read more of. He knows how to keep his audience hooked.
Christopher Kozar
Great summer read

I had only read "First Blood" by Morrell before reading "The Shimmer". I was impressed with the emotion, pace and outrageous plot. A fun read that had me glued to the book. Highly recommended if you want some escapist fiction rooted in real emotions and some Texas history.
Scott Vandrick
Morrell conquers an unexplained earthly phenomena with the heroic zest that you expect from a Morrell. Always well-constructed, his tales are packed with explosives which denotate at appropriate times. This novel, however, felt like a writer’s mid-life conundrum as all of the characters are reflecting on the past and urged toward an unknown future. In the end, as in life, nothing is explained.
Geoff Spakes
Not bad, but not riveting either...had some moments but overall was a fairly pedestrian story without the payoff I was hoping for in the end. The characters were developed enough for me to care about them, but just meh overall.
AnonymousReaderPerson
The only juice this thing has is a (somewhat) enticing plotline, with a decent array of subplots to augment it. But the characters are paper thin, and there's really nothing distinctive about the writing.
Chris
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Not a bad book. Based on Area 41 I believe but leave out the aliens just the gov't being up to their sneaky things. Hey we are doing this and no one is gonna know. It is about believing in yourself and fighting your demons.
Ally
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my first David Morrell book and I have to say I was disappointed. The blurb made the book sound appealing but the story was slow, lacked intrigue or suspense, and the main characters were bland. Had potential but missed the mark.

Tina
This is an exciting trip to Rostov Texas and into the lives of Tori and Dan Page and the residents of this sleepy town in west Texas. David Morrell blends fact and fiction into a wonderful suspense drama.

I highly recommend this book.
Joni Fisher
Thrills and mystery in The Shimmer

The story accelerates from a marriage in trouble into a world of intrigue, danger, and wonder. Loved the flying scenes!
Robert
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find Morrell to be much like Koontz, fantastic intricate plots loosely held together by mediocre writing and cliched characters. The plots are always enough to keep me plodding through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Bank
  • Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • The Auctioneer
  • Never Look Away
  • Feeding Frenzy (The Salt Mine Book 2)
  • Out Are the Lights
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • Ground Rules (The Salt Mine Book 3)
  • Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version
  • Mirror Mirror (The Salt Mine Book 4)
  • Small Habits Revolution: 10 Steps To Transforming Your Life Through The Power Of Mini Habits!
  • The Fever in the Water
  • The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship
  • No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye, #1)
  • 206 Bones (Temperance Brennan, #12)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.

News & Interviews