Start by marking “Little Saigon” as Want to Read:
Little Saigon

Little Saigon

Audio CD
Published July 29th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Little Saigon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Saigon

Start your review of Little Saigon
Carol
This was the second published book by T.J. Parker (1988) so I gave an excuse for there being to many characters even the plot was a bit forced.
Skip
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Pretty lame effort by TJP about a pair of brothers, one estranged from the family and the other a war hero, who lost his legs in Vietnam, but gained a wife active in a nationalistic effort to help refugees. The wife is kidnapped, and the estranged brother works to solve the mystery. Skip this one.
Dan Smith
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two Brothers..... One Woman...... One War.

In the aftermath of the war in Vietnam, thousands of desperate refugees fled the killing fields for new lives in Southern California. But for those who settled in "Little Saigon," the war never really ended. The latest victim of the continuing struggle is Li Frye, a popular singer whose songs of hope and home have made her a heroine to her people. Ripped from the stage by masked gunmen, she has vanished into the dark alleys of Little Saigon, where outsid
Dave
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery and feel for SoCal of that era

Lead character, Chuck Frye, is an appealing sort as he tries to get right with his family while investigating his sister-in-law’s disappearance.
Lawanda
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook performed by David Colacci
Rick Weaver
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: Tough, set in Westminister Vietnamese community with flashbacks to war, surfer overcoming fatal fears; Renegades tough, fast paced crime

Quality: High
Lou
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois Blanco
War is never really over and refugees can never go back-sad but true; no different in 2017 than when Parker wrote this book
Dave Crawford
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not believe the miss spelled words and grammar errors plus punctuation errors.
Lance Charnes
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Southern California noir
Little Saigon is Parker’s second published novel, and as such is stylistically much more like Laguna Heat than the much later Charlie Hood series. It’s also the closest he came (at least among the books of his I’ve read) to writing political intrigue rather than a straight-ahead detective mystery.

Parker’s protagonist Charlie Frye is a fired newspaper reporter, a fading surfing champion, and something of a screwup. When his golden-boy brother’s Vietnamese wife Li is kidnapped in the Orange County
Terrie
The mystery part was okay, but the book gets off to a really slow start (I almost put it down), and is complicated by a few too many characters. I liked the main character and his personal story of trying to fit in with his family and help his brother. The story focuses on an older brother who's a Viet Nam vet and is continuing to try to help the Vietnamese immigrants and country. That part becomes a bit tedious and hard to follow sometimes. Not my favorite book b this author. (read to complete ...more
Larry
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
David Ward
Little Saigon by T. Jefferson Parker (St. Martin's Paperback 1989) (Fiction – Mystery). Chuck Frye, surfing legend turned reporter, looks for his wife's sister, who has been kidnapped by local Vietnamese crime bosses and is being held somewhere in the Vietnamese barrio. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 2005.
RJ Koch
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it. Just wish it had been an anti war book. The Vietnam War was a bad war. I lived thru it, from an American college student perspective, and actively protested against it. Liked the characters and the writing. As usual too many characters. Late for work...
Cassandra.
This was the first book I read by T. Jefferson. At the beginning of each summer, I always go in to a used book store and look for new authors. I discovered this author and have read everything he has written. Altho', I haven't liked the more recent series as much as the previous novels.
Aynge
May 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really wanted to like this because I loved his Blue/Red/Black trilogy, but I was disappointed. Didn't like Chuck Frye, the main character, and I honestly saw what was coming. That rarely happens to me. The end was unsatisfying as well.
Renee Pawlish
I had a hard time getting into this book. I wanted to like it as I have a soft spot for those who experienced the Vietnam War, either as American veterans or the Vietnamese escaping their country, but the book didn't grab me. It took a long time to get through it.
David
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1988 thriller set in real Vietnamese area of Orange County, California. Anti-Communist efforts to support rebellion in 'Nam draw retalliation in the U.S. Old Vietnam relationships are key to the mystery.

Good enought that I'd read more by this author, but I won't seek him out.
Blair
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was 3 chapters too long.
Gordon Jones
I just did not enjoy this book at all.
Sheldon Lehman
It got better as it went along. The story format reminded me of 80's mini-series.
Carol
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another of the books I love because as I read it I was reminded of a place I had been or was about to go to. I always look for books by T. Jefferson Parker and I usually love them.
Fay
Oct 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very confusing"
Mary
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book, bit predictable in places.
Chris Denison
finished strong...3.5
Don Dill
rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2011
David Michael
Sep 30, 2010
Alan
May 12, 2017

• The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (A John Hawk Western)
  • Cold in July
  • The Abduction
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • Their Last Words (Paterson & Clocks, #1)
  • Dance Away with Me
  • Envy the Night
  • Crash
  • The Seeker (Damian Seeker, #1)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Ruin Beach (DI Ben Kitto, #2)
  • Money To Burn
  • Spy
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Goodbye Man
  • The Informant
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California