Start by marking “The Girl in the Photograph” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Photograph

The Girl in the Photograph

2.52  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Allegra O'Riordan is a modern single woman in her thirties; urban, dependent, irreverent and smart, with a growing career as a standup comic. But there's a hole in her life that opens up when her father dies, leaving her an orphan. Going through her father's possessions, Allegra finds a photo of her mother. This photograph doesn't show the prim, unsmiling woman who died wh ...more
Paperback
Published November 1st 1999 by Berkley Trade (first published September 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Photograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Photograph

Joy
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-tbr
I saw this book and bought it, luckily cheap. I did not research the author or book to know what ratings were before hand. I like to make my own judgment and not have a preconceived idea what to look for or what is lacking in a novel.

I am a little disappointed in this book. What attracted me was the black and white picture on the cover with the title,"The Girl in the Photograph. " I was sparked with curiosity and wonder to know who the girl was.

I felt there was a good platform for the story as
Cathy
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Shortly after her father's death, 30 year old Chicago comedian Allegra O'Riordan comes across an old photo of a happy carefree young woman who she learns is her mother. Having died when she was only three, Allegra's memories of her mother were of this dower unhappy woman. She remembers very little of her mother and has never been told anything. When she finds this picture, she realizes there's much more to her mother than she'd imagined and she has an over-powering (and in my min ...more
Hillery
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Woman in her mid-30s tries to find out the secret behind her dead mom's past. Her mother died when she was three years old and no one in her extended family will talk about her mother. All the daughter has is a photograph of her mother as a vibrant young woman. Intriguing, but not compelling, mystery with way too much Catholic angst towards the end. Such angst seems particularly overwrought and ridiculous for this non-Catholic.
Hannah
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SAFE. :]

"How many irish men does it take to change a lightbulb?" "12. 1 to change the bulb and 11 to sing about the old one."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Jackie
It’s a mystery of a single woman in her 30’s who finds a photograph of her Mother, who died when Allegra was 3 years old. From this photograph that she finds after her Father’s death, she’s determined to find out more about the Mother she never knew and that no one talked about. She finds more about her Mother’s past than she ever thought possible and struggles with wondering if it was better not to have known at all.

Sherrie
This was an interesting read. It didn't quite have me on the edge of my seat, but it was intriguing enough that I read to the end and didn't regret using all that time. It actually moves pretty quickly. My one complaint is that the main character is supposed to be a comedian, but she wasn't funny.
Rachel
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't think this book was intended for anyone who is not Catholic. And I don't think Catholics would like it either unless they are incredibly conflicted about their religion. For me, it was frustrating, unfathomable and, ultimately, unlikable.
Jenn
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
This would be a good vacation novel. Easy to follow, somewhat interesting, but easy to put down too.
Lola
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the 280 pages so I guess I liked the book. I did think the "secret" would/should have been more than it turned out to be

Jessica
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
pretty repetitive and the catholic angst was lost on me, but i did push on to the end to find out what happened to "the girl in the photograph".
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »