Start by marking “Prisoner of Guantánamo, The” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Guantánamo, The

Prisoner of Guantánamo, The

Revere Falk—FBI veteran, Arabic speaker—is an interrogator at “Gitmo,” assigned to a “hold-out,” a Yemeni prisoner who may have valuable information about al Qaeda. But these duties are temporarily suspended when the body of an American soldier is found washed ashore in Cuban territory. No American has ever turned up dead on the wrong side of the fence before.

Suddenly, Col
Audio CD
Published July 11th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Guantánamo, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of Guantánamo, The

Start your review of Prisoner of Guantánamo, The
Jill Mackin
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Not the best, but enjoyable.
Steven Z.
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One night along the Cuban coast that adjoins the United States naval base at Guantanamo a body washes ashore. The body that of an American serviceman is found by a Cuban police officer on patrol. The officer rushes down the hill to chase away an iguana, recognizes that the body he has located is American and realizes how important his find is. So begins Dan Fesperman’s THE PRISONER OF GUANTANAMO, a book that will capture the reader’s attention immediately and maintain interest as the plot contin ...more
Zaporha
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: READ
Wow this was a very good book. At times I feared for Rever Falk's live and I think I got a little sea sick and prayed that he would make through a tropical storm.
First time reading from this author and I must admit it will not be my last.

It exposes a lot of corruption in our government and thanks for the Freedom Act. But so much scandal goes on day-to-day that civilians are not privy to know, sometimes its a good thing then other times it may not be as good. But my heart goes out to those famil
Michael Martz
Dan Fesperman can write, I'll certainly give him that. His 'Safe Houses' is one of my recent favorites, with both fine writing and a great plot. 'The Prisoner of Guantanamo' is likewise well-crafted, but the plot, although interesting and quite tricky, is a bit muddled. It's one of those books where you struggle to figure out what's really going on as the main character is doing the same.

Falk, the lead character, is an ex-Marine working for the FBI as an interviewer of detainees at Gitmo back in
Jack
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Likeable characters, great plot twists.
Judith Baller-Fabian
One of his best. It was a look into Guantanamo like nobody else has given. I really like this author and have read most of his books. I'm delighted to have found one I haven't read, yet.
Ann Tonks
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captures the atmosphere of Guanatamo Bay brilliantly. An interesting hero. Fascinating politics. A great piece of story telling. One could smell the atmosphere of Cuba and paranoia.
Toni Osborne
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story brings FBI special agent Revere Falk to the infamous US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. As principal interrogator his job is to extract vital information from a jihadist detainee Adnan al-Handi, a young Yemeni captured during a fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan. He is strongly suspected of holding vital intelligence about the inner workings of al-Qaeda.

The novel focuses mainly on three events: Falks interrogation of Adnan , the investigation of the mysterious murder
Faydra Stratton
I can't think of the last time I read a political thriller (if ever?!) but I liked it and found it to be a good, not over-my-head-with-too-many-twists read. Falk, the main character, was likable, not over-capable in an unbelievable way. He had his secrets and his mistakes which made him a more accessible "hero." As a Floridian, I liked any time Miami shows up, as this is a city I'm getting to know better. I could picture the route to the second meeting with Paco well.

As for the Guantanamo setti
Nigel
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting and entertaining novel with fine attention to detail, good characters and an exciting plot. Unfortunately as a non American I have to confess to being a little confused with the identities of all the agencies involved.
Falk was with the F.B.I. and Whitaker the C.I.A. but the rest were a bit foggy. Military, Homeland, N.S.A. ? Dunno.
It just didn't seem clear enough and therefore, just a little messy. Also, even though I quite liked the cutesy ending it did seem a little l
Rick F.
PLOT BECAME MUCH TOO MUDDLED - WITH SO MANY CHARACTERS- AND UNCLEAR RESOLUTION- AT END- I WAS NOT SURE OF WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED- WELL WRITTEN,GOOD CHARACTERS, BUT LACKED COHERANT PLOT AND A CONCLUSION THAT CONNECTED ALL THE DOTS
Matt
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook. It was an interesting story but the ending was meh. I went away thinking, is that the best the author could do?
Charles Matthews
The problem with writing a novel whose story is ripped from the headlines is that the headlines keep coming after the novel is published. Obsolescence sets in.

But Dan Fesperman knows something about headlines: As a foreign correspondent for the Baltimore Sun he was responsible for quite a few of them. And he knows something about novels: He's one of the best writers of intelligent thrillers based on contemporary events working today.

So even though headlines about Guantánamo keep coming, Fesperma
Edwin Battistella
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by Fesperman. It seemed to start slowly, but once I got used to the characters and figured out who was who, I was hooked. There was plenty of unpredictability and enough cynicism to capture the intelligence community milieu. I’m ready for more Fesperman.
Sandi
While the plot was a bit complicated and the characters somewhat flat the setting and atmosphere made this a compelling read.
Emily Dietz
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Political thriller thay kept me on my toes with (surprisingly!) minimal violence.
Kiwiflora
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tightly held, yet also a slow burner of a thriller starring a manly hero called Rever Fatk. Falk has had a chequered work history as have most of these thriller type heroes, so full of cliched personality faults, troubled relationships, mysterious friends and ex partners. But still a riveting read, our hero trying to uncover corruption, save lives, including his own, dealing with betrayal, turn coats and turn abouts. Top reading in other words.

The setting is new! Guantanamo Bay detent
John
Oct 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started listening to this book on a recent short road trip. The road trip was way too short for the book, and I listened to about half of it during trips around town, which is really not a good way to listen to a book in the intrigue and suspense genre. I think I liked it, though. Just not so much that I sat at rest stops with my car running just to listen to it.
A curious coincidence (maybe): We've been reading John Eldredge's "Wild at Heart" in our men's group at church, and we were going to
Bethany
Dan Fesperman has won several awards for his fiction, and I’m guessing The Prisoner of Guantanamo will win some as well, not least because of its timeliness. Fesperman’s novel concerns an investigator at Guantanamo Bay who is in over his head after an American soldier washes up on the Cuban side of the fence. This book has everything - spies, political intrigue, romance, torture, terrorists… You name it, and it’s probably here.

Even so, there were times when I found myself easily distracted from
Jeanne
May 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dad, Tom
A birthday gift from Konrad... Suspenseful novel about an FBI interrogator at Gitmo who gets involved in the mysterious case of a dead US soldier who washes ashore on the Cuban side; the underlying premise, only hinted at, is that the neocons are using Gitmo to find a "GWOT"-related excuse to invade Cuba. Well written and very engaging - I don't normally read suspense/spy novels but I enjoyed this one. I could definitely see it being made into a movie.
Shayla
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I really enjoyed this book. I felt that I got an understanding of life on Guantanamo from the perspective of a prisoner and an interrogator and while one is clearly more a "prisoner", no one appears to be really free... Phone lines are tapped, data connections are secure, there are limited places to go and the same people day in and day out. The fact that there was a murder mystery, espionage, and cover ups by the US government was icing on the cake for me.
Tamsen
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Fesperman and I enjoyed it as much as the first, even though the plot fails in spots again. Again, the plot is intricate and detailed (and not always plausible but ...). I'll read his other books as well -- escape fiction has to be reasonably well written but doesn't have to be extraordinary!
Erica
Feb 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book until about the last 60 pages, at which point it kind of fell apart for me. The pacing shifted, the intrigue moved to action, and I didn't get the nicely wrapped package and answers that I would have hoped for at the end of a thriller - especially one that was so good up until that point.
Ann
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is well worth reading even if it is convoluted and confusing at times. It gives an insightful look at Guantanamo Bay and it's potential to bury and destroy it's prisoners. Some of the characters are ambiguously linked and their outcome is not completely satisfactory at the end. Dirty dealings and suspense make this book a good read. The ending is a bit of a let down though.
Spectre
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-authors
This is a fast paced adventure involving espionage, secrets and secret agendas, friendships, and betrayal set in the modern day detention camp and Naval Base in Cuba. Written in 2006, the author offers the reader an opportunity to come to his/ her own viewpoint on the detention camp and procedures without lecturing. I have added Dan Fesperman to my "favorite authors" shelf.
Marie
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fesperman is a very good writer of espionage novels, maybe as good as or better than John LeCarre. How much do you know about Guantanam0? Probably just a few words from newscasters or politicians. I wasn't even that sure where it was, besides in Cuba. This is very informative and frightening, actually.
Penni
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Drew & Bryon
Dan Fesperman writes fiction that is based in facts gathered by a a journalist. This novel is a fast read that is chilling in its the level of detail about what our current administration's political beliefs have allowed us to do and become.
Bookmarks Magazine

Dan Fesperman, who researched hundreds of documents and visited Gitmo in 2003, definitely did his homework, and it paid off. Critics uniformly praised the meticulous research that allowed the writer to paint a vivid picture of life at Guant

Sandra
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Jeff
Shelves: mystery, fiction
It started out slow, took me a long time to read, but the pace picked up and it had a great ending. I would recommend this author and this book to someone who is looking for something new in the spy genre.
Elliot Richards
It starts off as quite promising, and continued to be a page turner throughout, but it's anti-climactic ending and its somewhat muddled writing in the last part of the book left me woefully underwhelmed.

• The Accomplice
  • Conviction
  • Chances Are...
  • Lady in the Lake
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
  • Trust Exercise
  • The Moroccan Girl
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • I'll See You in Paris
  • The Cornwalls are Gone (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • Avenger
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure
  • Riven Rock
  • Pale Kings And Princes (Spenser, #14)
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
Dan Fesperman’s travels as a writer have taken him to thirty countries and three war zones. Lie in the Dark won the Crime Writers’ Association of Britain’s John Creasey Memorial Dagger Award for best first crime novel, The Small Boat of Great Sorrows won their Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award for best thriller, and The Prisoner of Guantánamo won the Dashiell Hammett Award from the International Asso ...more