Start by marking “Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy

Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,023 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Who is this Stranger? Why did he arrive after a winter storm and what wonderful surprises does he bring?Your children will love this photographic fantasy created by two noted wildlife photographers.

You'll discover this tale is beta-carotene for the spirit in everyone.
Published January 1st 2000 by Carl R. Sams II Photography (first published November 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stranger in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger in the Woods

Peacegal
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
The text isn't the strongest, but readers young and old will delight in the stunning nature photography throughout Stranger in the Woods. The "stranger" is a snowman that two children have decorated with treats for the hungry woodland animals.

This book would be a nice resource for classroom identification and discussion of our wild neighbors, many of whom will be familiar to students in both rural and suburban areas.

I was also pleased to see whitetail deer featured prominently and positively t
Jessica
While my husband and I didn't care much for this book, our son loved it and requested it constantly. As a result, he now identifies chickadees and cardinals in our yard - in the end it was worth the clumsy writing style.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Stanger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy (ages 4-8) was created by Carl R. Sams II and his wife Jean Stoick. Sams and Stoick created an enchanting story filled with captivating photographs of winter wildlife. Who is the Stranger in the Woods, and what is so special about him? This book has been on the New York Times Bestseller list, the International Reading Association Award, Ben Franklin Award along with approximately 80 awards in total.
Alecia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter loved reading a different book called "One Snowy Day" about cartoon animals that build a snowman so when I saw this book, I thought it would be a perfect one to read and compare. We loved the photographs and the "recipe" for building a snow man at the back.

It was a good book to read aloud with some opportunities to ask my children about their predictions ("Who do you think the stranger in the woods is?") or to make inferences ("Why do you think they children are hiding behind the tr
Brianna Clark
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
What really drew me in was the intense real life illustrations that relate so well to the content of the story.
Melki
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Following a snow storm, the cry goes out among the animals - "Stranger in the woods!"
After much debate, a young buck volunteers to investigate, but it's the bold Chickadee who makes first contact. The stranger doesn't say much, but he does share what he can with the animals. And what a cute ending!
Traci
A sweet book of special photographs telling the story of the woodland animals who find a stranger in their woods and what the stranger has to offer.

Written and photographed by Carl R. Sams II & Jean Stoick.
Shannon
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book and a nice story. We like to read it each year after we put up our Christmas tree.
Melissa Coyle
Beautiful photography of animals along with a rhythmic story that will delight young children. A must for the bookshelf of young ones to read on a cold winter's night.
Jodi
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A much-loved favorite we keep re-reading every winter. :-)
mary dewley
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this for the first time today. We had a family that came to our library to build a snow man and enjoy hot cider and doughnuts. Even though we received a ton of snow, unfortunately it wasn't wet enough to pack and make a snowman with. So we sat down and read. The beautiful photographs of the animals, the woods and the snowman could have propelled the story on their own, but the accompanying text is enjoyable and the children were delighted to make the animal noises as they listened intentl ...more
Andrea
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this sweet little book, primarily for the pictures. I have picked it up a few times when I see it in the stores and it's a quick and easy read, but the pictures are what really makes the book. It's the perfect book for Christmas time or any time during the winter (or any other season)! Kids will definitely love it but adults who love animals and nature will enjoy it too!
Melissa Turner
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I completed this Fantasy picture book on 1/21/2018. Something that surprised me was how amazing the pictures are! This book is filled with real pictures taken of animals in their habitats. This book would be great to read during snow falls or the winter season with younger elementary. I think kindergarten-2nd grade would like how the author made the animals sound like their noises.
Viviane Elbee
Lovely photographs of a wintery world, featuring the deer and birds that are in another photography book by this same couple.

The kids and I loved the part where the animals discover the snowman and all he has to offer them.

Fun book to look at, especially for animal fans, snowman fans, and winter photography fans.
Norma
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author and illustrator - who happen to be husband and wife - have collaborated to blend an imaginative use of photography with a lyrical text to place the reader in the midst of a magical natural setting. The effect is lovely on the eye.
Judy Ekblad
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Amazing photography of wildlife with message of children quietly feeding the animals with the carrot corn, nuts and seeds they use to decorate their snowman throughout the winter.
Adams' Country Retreat
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for story time. A recipe for a snowman is included.
MrsK Kulupka
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book filled with gorgeous pictures and animal fun!
Mayra P.
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The photographs are extremely delicate and go well with the words...makes the reader wonder what is that the animals are looking for?
Lori
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful way to spend Christmas Day - reading through our family collection of Christmas books. Gift for 2002.
Charity Yost Reed
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Instead of the usual cartoon animals, this book uses nature photography and clever animalistic dialogue to introduce children to more realistic North American wildlife.
Misbah
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Wonderful book to get kids excited about woods and all the animals that call it home. The photographs are beautiful! And it has a recipe to make a snowman in the back.
Lorna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Fantastic photographic fantasy!
Kara Moreland
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book tells about animals in the woods after a fresh snow. As soon as the sun peaks up everyone is noticing a stranger that is in the woods. After a big debate on who will go check it out, they finally go to see the snowman. On the snowman is food for all of the animals (seed, corn, carrots). After all of the food is gone two children come out from behind the bushes to put more food out for them.
Such a sweet story and book! The book is actually made of real pictures taken in the woods, and
Georgiana
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully beautiful photographs
Nicole Fiene
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This children’s book is beautifully crafted. Each illustration is a high-quality photo of scenes from the woods in the winter season. The pages are glossy and give the photos a richer look. Each photo captures a different animal with supporting text. The text of this book does not just tell the reader about the animals like one might think it would by just looking at the type of storybook this is, but instead, the text is dialogue of the animals as they go about their day trying to figure out wh ...more
Alecia
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Author: Carl R. Sams II & Jean Stoic

Illustrator: Carl R. Sams II & Jean Stoic

Genre: fiction, photographic fantasy

Publication Info: Carl R. Sams II Photography, Inc. (2000)

Reading Level: Ages 9-12; fluent

Topic/Theme: winter, wild life, woodlands

Issues Addressed: feeding animals in the wild, winter in the woods

Classroom Uses: independent reading, read aloud; I would use this book to discuss the outdoors during the winter or spark discussion on how children interact with wild life

Summary
Anya
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers and parents of young children, children 3-7 yr olds
This is a great book to teach kids how to tell a story through still-life photographs, rather than illustrations in books (which they are accustomed to). It has a heartwarming story to go along with the photo and kids enjoy hearing the different sounds animals make as the story is read. Young children will gain valuable prediction skills as they try to figure out who the "stranger" is in the woods, along with the animals. Teachers and parents, alike, can tie in the theme of this book with caring ...more
Ashli Stroyan
This book is one of my favorites and is a must read during the winter season. The authors are photographers who have incorporated the most beautiful photos in a beautiful story. The story begins after a fresh snow, and various animals in the woods spy a “stranger in the woods.” What they believe is a stranger is actually a snowman the children have made, with nuts, seeds, and a carrot nose to feed the animals. While the animals “talk” to each other trying to figure out who the stranger is, and b ...more
Vivian
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a little on the "wordy" side for sharing in a library story time, but I feel free to "edit" as I go. The photographs engage the children. I invited them to say aloud "stranger in the woods!" each time I turned the page.

I like the phrases attached to the animals. For instance, BLUE JAY says "Take care! Take care!" The OWL says "Who-hoo's in the woods? Where? Where did the blue jay say?" The MOURNING DOVE says "Coo-coo-could that be him?" The CHICKADEE says, "Howdy-dee-dee". The CARDINAL
  • Snowballs