Start by marking “The Just Church: Becoming a Risk-Taking, Justice-Seeking, Disciple-Making Congregation” as Want to Read:

Are you ready for a new way to seek justice - an ancient way to know God?
Finally, a practical guide on how to do justice and grow in discipleship --from those on the frontlines of the battle in the world's darkest and most dangerous places. Jim Martin and International Justice Mission are experts not only at bringing rescue to victims of violence, sex trafficking, slavery, and
Published October 1st 2012 by Tyndale Momentum (first published September 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Just Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Just Church

Start your review of The Just Church: Becoming a Risk-Taking, Justice-Seeking, Disciple-Making Congregation
Elisa Johnston
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Recently a new book came out by the vice president of International Justice Mission. IJM, has been a fundamental leader in both the anti-slavery movement and other justice issues.

Here are the book’s details:

By: Jim Martin

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Tyndale Momentum (September 21, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1414371284 ISBN-13: 978-1414371283
Beth Peninger
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this is a book that was part of my friend's class reading list, it has also been on my to-read list. Jim Martin draws on his many years experience serving first as a pastor on staff with a church pursuing biblical justice and then as a staff member with International Justice Mission (IJM). Using his own personal experiences to share what becoming aware of biblical justice is and what to do with the realizations, Martin helps guide readers through the steps toward action once awareness has ...more
Jason C.
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
---
The words of the prophet Micah are spoken in churches all over the world. Believers love this simple declarations of what Jesus asks of His people.

Christians try hard to walk humbly with the Lord. We strive to show mercy to people. However, we often ignore or struggle with the clause of "acting justly." Especia
Rachel
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
"God's call isn't to feel bad about injustice - but to do justice! Marvelously, God never gives us a mission without granting us the power to do it. And through the mission, he also promises to change us - to make us more like his Son...The call to the work of justice is therefore, not God sending his church out to a place where God cannot be found. Rather, God is inviting us into the places where he is already at work."

A fantastic call to action for the global and local church to en
Bryan Smith
This is simply a mind blowing, challenging, heard breaking and heart warming book that I will be recommending for the rest of my life!

It is well written, engaging and challenging but doesnt just leave you down in the dumps. Its practical as well!

Like always I underline and study my books to really get the most out of them and this one almost has something on every page...and some pages have every sentence underlined.

And then there is the story that I tell everyone when I
Andrea
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would love to say that I couldn't put this book down. That would be a lie. I had to put it down regularly because it challenged me. I had to stop to think about what it said and what that meant for me in my walk as well as for my church. The phrases he uses and examples he gives will not only stick with me, but have changed the way I look at my faith, justice, my church, the Church, and God. (Yes, it really is that good.)

It may seem hard to believe that one book could affect that m
Scott Burns
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dmin, justice
This book walks through a suggested process for how to help your church engage with issues of injustice at home and abroad. The suggestions are great and point to other helpful IJM resources. It's so clear they are passionate about mobilising the Church to demonstrate the character of God to the world.

The book is worth having, even if only for the first 100 pages (Part I: Justice, Discipleship and the Failure Point of Faith). They are excellent! This first section looks at the way ou
Christine (Caffrey)
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book while visiting an International Justice Mission office after asking for a resource to share with others in my church. While personally involved in issues of justice since my college years, I have recently felt called to raise awareness of leading a justice lifestyle within my church. The Just Church is a great 3-part tool: a review of what God the author of justice says, how individual churches have uniquely responded, and a robust appendices of useful tools.
Noah W
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Excellent book, advocates the idea that the church needs to become "less safe" and more engaged in advocating justice.

This book was written by a vice president with the International Justice Mission. Crossroads, a larger church in Cincinnati is mentioned in the book highlighting their human trafficking initiative with IJM.
Jenn Cherry
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that explained the process of developing a justice ministry. Very well written - breaking the steps down into manageable pieces so the process doesn't seem so overwhelming. Excellent book!
Jon
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! Jim is one of my co-workers and he's fantastic. And this is a great book if, like me, you're trying to get your church engaged more deeply in the issues of poverty and justice in the world.
Tory
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really great mix of practical and theoritical; this book reveals issues of justice as really essential - and really approachable, with a few courageous, but doable steps.
Barb S
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was just the book I was looking for to give practical tools for our church to begin the process of creating an effective justice ministry. This is a must read for all church leaders.
Barbara Kariuki
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read, full of practical advice. Read and implement!
Susan
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best resources I have seen on moving from awareness to action. Wise and practical advice.
Wendy Jamieson-price
challenging, thoughtful, insightful and provoking.
easy to read chapters with question sections to invite further thought and discussion. would be great for a church group.
Jennie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! This book inspired me and taught me so many strategies!
Shelby
Oliver Wright
Mar 02, 2018
Charles Risinger
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it

Challenging book on how to get involved in justice ministry
Lucas Truax
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Walk Across the Sun
  • Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption
  • Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 12 Ways to Keep Yours Alive
  • Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
  • Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian
  • Wild at Heart Field Manual: A Personal Guide to Discover the Secret of Your Masculine Soul
  • The Cross in the Closet
  • Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
  • Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality
  • Us Versus Us: The Untold Story of Religion and the LGBT Community
  • What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • I Want to Live These Days with You: A Year of Daily Devotions
  • On Bullshit
  • On Inequality
  • Keto Made Easy: 100+ Easy Keto Dishes Made Fast to Fit Your Life
  • The Tears of Dark Water
Jim Martin is vice president of church mobilization for International Justice Mission, a human rights agency that protects the poor from violence. In fifteen field offices throughout the world, IJM investigators, lawyers, and aftercare professionals work closely with local governments to bring rescue to victims of slavery, sex trafficking, police abuse, and other forms of violent oppression. IJM s ...more
“The call to the work of justice is therefore not God sending his church out to a place where God cannot be found. Rather, God is inviting us into the place where he is already at work.” 1 likes